Spring Practice Day 1

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Wednesday March 1
SPRING PRACTICE DAY 1
It is nearly impossible to draw to many conclusions from the first day of Spring practice. That said, if today was any indication, highly touted red shirt freshman Armani Rogers will be given every opportunity to win the starting QB job for the Rebels. Rogers took a bulk of the reps today, and a few things stood out. First, he is noticeably bigger than last year, and has filled out a lot of that 6'5 frame. Secondly, he seems much more comfortable in what he is seeing on the field vs the guy I saw in the fall. Lastly, there is no denying his arm talent. He displayed nice touch, a strong arm and solid accuracy. Johnny Stanton seems fully recovered from the injury that cost him the second half of last season. Kurt Palandech is in his third year with the program and has seen significant playing time the last two years. If Rogers ultimately wins the job, he will have earned it. Coach Sanchez is not going to coddle him or hand him the job and Stanton will definitely push him.

The Rebels are deep at the running back spot. They have three players in Lexington Thomas, Charles Williams and Xzavier Campbell who are all talented enough to be 'the guy'. Again it's the first day of practice, but Campbell looked to be in very good shape and seemed a little quicker than last year. Lance Worthington who sat out last year after transferring is a guy to keep an eye on. He has very good speed and and quick feet. Evan Owens is a big back who could see time in short yardage situations similar to David Green last year.

UNLV was decimated by injury at the wide receiver spot last year. Kendal Keys, Darren Woods, Brandon Presley and Devonte Boyd all missed significant time. Boyd, Keys and Presley were all a full go today and did not appear limited. Woods is on track and should have no limitations by the time fall camp comes around. If there was a silver lining to all the injuries last year, it would be a number of young players, namely Elijah Trosclair and Mekhi Stevenson received some valuable playing time. With everybody back healthy this year, young guys getting unexpected playing time, this is an experienced, deep and talented group.

The offensive line should take shape pretty quickly. You can't downplay the loss of Will Kreitler, who was arguably the Rebels top offensive lineman the last two years. Coach Sanchez was quick to address that during recruiting by getting JUCO center Sid Acosta. This is a guess but I think this is how the offensive line will breakdown: LT Kyle Saxelid LG Jaron Caldwell C Sid Acosta RG Justin Polu RT Nathan Jacobson. As opposed to years past for UNLV, depth is becoming less and less of an issue. Michael Chevalier who started last year will see time and could very well start. J'Ondray Sanders was a starter two years ago and Zach Singer and Julio Garcia both played valuable minutes last year. Donovan Outlaw and Matt Brayton are both talented red shirt freshman who should press for playing time this season as well. This is as deep as I have seen the Rebels along the offensive line.

Defensively the Rebels will have a lot of new faces and a lot of speculation. Until the pads come on, the defense will be a little harder to assess. There are some incoming freshmen in the fall that could challenge for starting jobs. I don't expect the defensive two deep to be settled until fall camp.

In the secondary the Rebels have to replace both starting safeties. The top candidates right now appear to be Javin White, Dalton Baker, Evan Austrie, Soli Afalava and Demetrious Gibbs.

Three of the top four corners return with Robert Jackson, Darius Mouton and Tim Hough. Also Jericho Flowers returns to corner after switching to wide receiver last season because of the injury situation there.
The linebacker group will see a massive overhaul, as all three of last years starters are gone. It really is an open competition here. Brian Keyes, Gabe McCoy and Bailey Laolagi saw a lot of the '1st team' reps today. JUCO transfer Jacob Rominger could push for a starting role as he becomes more comfortable with the defense. Red shirt freshmen Cameron Carr and David Tate are also names to keep an eye on.

Last year the defense was significantly better at stopping the run, but creating pressure on the QB continued to be an issue. Three guys I believe the staff are hoping can change that are JUCO transfer Roger Mann and red shirt freshmen Jamal Holloway and Rodney Jones.

After practice Coach Sanchez said he was very happy with the tempo and the overall effort by his team.

Great job! I wish I could give you a thousand "likes" for that OP.

I should clarify ...

Until these reports highlight the kicking game they are worthless.

Did I forget that? There were two dudes who kicked the ball. One further than the other. They both seemed very excited with how far the ball went. They became even more excited when their balls sailed between two posts cleanly without banging into them..

Thats what she said...

I think the move with Caldwell is just getting your best 5 together. He was very solid last year as the swing Tackle, backing up both LT/RT spots. I like the move , now what we need to watch is the progression of the 2's like Outlaw , Brayton , Garcia, Singer.

Nice article in the Sun today regarding the strength of the OLine. Interesting to note that Caldwell has been moved from tackle to guard. He was very strong as a true freshman tackle but seems to be similar to a Boyko situation where they move him in because they need the guard help.

https://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2017/mar/02/offensive-line-is-difference-maker-for-unlv-footba/

Chevalier was ok last season. Not sure this is about needing help at LG so much as getting top 5 guys on field. Coach Sanchez used Caldwell as a swing tackle last year.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Once again I am putting on my Rebel colored glasses and taking a look at what we've got. Plenty of good running backs. Xavier Campbell is hopefully out of the doghouse for good. Looks to be a little trimmed down and quicker. Lex looks like Lex & Williams will only get better after a breakout freshman campaign. Lance Worthington as Bull noted is a guy to keep an eye on. If Lex drops off he could slide right into his spot. Would love to see them find a way to get more of these playmakers on the field together at the same time.

O Line is BIG, deep and talented.

No doubt that Armani is the guy in Sanchez' eyes. He is getting the Lion's share of the snaps and has an extremely strong arm. Seems to be comfortable looking at more than one receiver and going through progressions. On one particular play 3 receivers were in my area and I had no idea who he was throwing to. It ended up being the one I least expected. Great read and throw. I still think Stanton should move over to LB. What a stud. Big, strong, fast & smart.

D Line will take a little time to figure out as will everything else on that side of the ball. Maybe just the extra year under their belt will be enough to bring the DB's around and we have some really promising looking LB's. I think our real issue will be at safety and whether or not we have somebody substantial coming in this summer.

If we don't come up with some DE's that can put the pressure on the QB I would like to see some sets with 3 tackles and different combinations of hybrid LB's, DE's, Corners & safeties to bring the pressure. There just aren't a lot of
6'4--6-7" 270 lb guys out there that have quickness and moves like an NBA forward. After the SE$ gobbles them up there isn't much left over.

Tomorrow the shells go on so there will be a little more revealed as to who stands where.

Go Rebels!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT