ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV once again in a tough spot.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Last time it was Hauck. Three years in, it was a no brainer Hauck was gone. 6 total wins, 0-3 vs Reno.

What's Hauck do, goes and wins 7 games, making it virtually impossible for AD to fire him. You can't fire a guy who gets you to your 1st bowl game in 13 years. Horrible look for the school. Kunzer-Murphy extends Hauck and he promptly goes back to two wins.

Sanchez shows steady if unspectacular growth by upping win total each year
3-4-5. Was one win away from bowl eligibility in year 3. Even year two he lost a couple of close games. That team wasn't far from a bowl birth either. Add in his off field work getting the facility going and as much as it looks like the wrong move now Tina extending another year when she did was probably the right play.

So now we have Sanchez flirting with a possible 3 win season. And another year on his contract. This was the year fans and Sanchez targeted as when the program would start to turn the corner. Instead they regressed.

By all accounts UNLV doesn't have the money to buy Sanchez out. Menzies is also probably on the hot seat which complicates things even further (firing 2 coaches in a year is not an enviable place to be) There may be moves going on behind the scenes but I doubt it.

Simply put, UNLV probably can't afford to fire/buyout Sanchez. But the program really can't afford another bad season either.

There is every possibility Sanchez could turn things around next year. He's had some good recruiting classes. The incoming one looks particularly promising. But does anybody here think he can do it? I'm highly skeptical at this point.

If UNLV is counting on the new stadium to fix their attendance woes, it's a horrible strategy. There will be a bump year one. People like shiny new stuff. But there has to be tangible evidence that the product on the field is better or people will stop showing up. There are just to many other options out there for people to spend their money on with the Knights and soon to be the Raiders in town.

This should have been the springboard year. UNLV should be playing in a bowl this year and building some momentum. Next year should have been the 7-5 or 8-4 year where UNLV becomes that sleeping giant that finally wakes up that we've heard about from every coach since Robinson.

Instead we head into another offseason, with a coach heading into his 5th year who is on the hot seat....

I think the situation is what has to be done tomorrow should be done today. If we are gonna fire CTS next year with no bowl, then no reason not to just do it this year. Next years schedule is significantly tougher and a bowl is very unlikely even with a "good" team. So if that is gonna be the ultimatum, then you get on with it now. If not the ultimatum, then I say bring him back for one more and see what he can do.

Here is the schedule....find me 6 wins below. I spot 6 basically sure fire losses with 4 toss up games. Only two "should be" wins in Southern Utah and San Jose State, which of course beat us this year badly and generally has owned us of late. So we are probably looking at a maybe 4 win season next year realistically.

at Northwestern L
at Vanderbilt L
Boise State L
Southern Utah W
Arkansas State 50/50
at Colorado State 50/50
at Fresno State L
at Nevada L
Hawaii 50/50
San Diego State L
San Jose State W
at Wyoming 50/50

That is a tough schedule overall... I have a hard time seeing more than 4 wins coming out of that. My gut tells me that's another 3-9 schedule.

Which means zero momentum going into the new stadium.

I do not envy the position DRF is in. Unless she is a magician and has new monies ready to be donated out there I am not sure there is a good solution. It's pretty clear both basketball and football need changes but the likelyhood of having the cash for both is slim to none.

Looking at it risk/reward... seems to me that getting life into football has the bigger long term benefit but takes longer to achieve.

With how quickly you can turn basketball based on the smaller roster sizes it seems to me you can get a quicker result which maybe then could be leveraged into making a football change in a year or 2.

Tough spot because there really is no guarantee either way

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I think the situation is what has to be done tomorrow should be done today. If we are gonna fire CTS next year with no bowl, then no reason not to just do it this year. Next years schedule is significantly tougher and a bowl is very unlikely even with a "good" team. So if that is gonna be the ultimatum, then you get on with it now. If not the ultimatum, then I say bring him back for one more and see what he can do.

Here is the schedule....find me 6 wins below. I spot 6 basically sure fire losses with 4 toss up games. Only two "should be" wins in Southern Utah and San Jose State, which of course beat us this year badly and generally has owned us of late. So we are probably looking at a maybe 4 win season next year realistically.

at Northwestern L
at Vanderbilt L
Boise State L
Southern Utah W
Arkansas State 50/50
at Colorado State 50/50
at Fresno State L
at Nevada L
Hawaii 50/50
San Diego State L
San Jose State W
at Wyoming 50/50

Its money. I think they could probably afford/scrape together the buyout, but would then be short getting money together to pay what's needed to bring in another coach.

If Sanchez finished 4-8 but you could point to a lot of close games/tough losses...That would be one thing. But he's staring at a potential 3 win season with a lot of bad losses.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
This year really needed to be the 6+ win season. This was one of the weaker schedules we’ve had probably since the old Big West days. 2019 is much tougher. I think we could win 5 or 6 games but we'd need to win all the toss up games. Many of those 50/50 games you list are more like 60/40 them considering even the "better" UNLV teams have struggled to win elevation games @wyo and @csu.

Unfortunately 2020 in the new stadium could be a disaster for a new coach and a new system. Cal, Arizona State, La Tech, @Iowa State, @Boise State. The place could be empty by October if we start 0-4

By all accounts UNLV doesn't have the money to buy Sanchez out. Menzies is also probably on the hot seat which complicates things even further (firing 2 coaches in a year is not an enviable place to be) There may be moves going on behind the scenes but I doubt it.
Instead we head into another offseason, with a coach heading into his 5th year who is on the hot seat....

Woulda, coulda, shouda....

At least we look better to prospective coaches if TS is given a 5th year.

I don't see how CTS can carry on at this point. What's his path forward in terms of turning this program around? I don't think there is one. Time to find someone else.

I don't see how CTS can carry on at this point. What's his path forward in terms of turning this program around? I don't think there is one. Time to find someone else.

It probably is time.

But unless you have a million bucks laying around to help with the buyouts or the AD has a new source of booster money, he'll be here next year.

The last time the Community College of Northern Nevada played at the "Boyd" they kicked the Shit out of UNLV, and what did they do to celebrate: they FIRED their Coach (who I believe was given 2 years at their Helm). Of course reno is a big time shitty(city), and they have alot of money to hire compent Coaches. They also usually make good decisions on who to hire, and when they do hire the wrong Coach it doesn't take them 5 years to replace that Coach.

My take on Coach Sanchez: he has given 110% effort; recruiting is better, and on the other side of the equation: last year at reno, and this year in Hawaii inexcusably he played Rodgers at QB at the expense of the rest of the team and fan base. On top of that too many games UNLV wasn't ready to play football. The whole team has been missing in action too many times.

What should UNLV's Administration do? First they should realize Las Vegas is the greatest City in Nevada by far, and one of the best in America. They shouldn't take a 5 million dollar donation intended for football and rat whole for some special project other than football. This community supports UNLV athletics better than UNLV's Administration. Reallocate that money back into the football program instead of crying poverty. Once they do that the decision to hire a new coach will be the right direction to go. Too many times the people making the decisions at UNLV have made the wrong ones. Get it right this time. If reno can get it right why can the folks at UNLV get it right. Its pretty easy: when in charge take charge and do the right thing.

One last point. I will continue to support this program no matter what. I believe in this group of players. I have followed them on the road often. I was in San Diego for the game. Those kids played great, and they reacted like they had just won the National Championship. It was great. To all the Seniors on the team you gotta believe the Cannon stays in Las Vegas. No better way to go out than to put the beat down on the team from up north. Remember the movie Silence the lambs, cuss those dudes aren't wolfs.

The last time the Community College of Northern Nevada played at the "Boyd" they kicked the Shit out of UNLV, and what did they do to celebrate: they FIRED their Coach (who I believe was given 2 years at their Helm). Of course reno is a big time shitty(city), and they have alot of money to hire compent Coaches. They also usually make good decisions on who to hire, and when they do hire the wrong Coach it doesn't take them 5 years to replace that Coach.

My take on Coach Sanchez: he has given 110% effort; recruiting is better, and on the other side of the equation: last year at reno, and this year in Hawaii inexcusably he played Rodgers at QB at the expense of the rest of the team and fan base. On top of that too many games UNLV wasn't ready to play football. The whole team has been missing in action too many times.

What should UNLV's Administration do? First they should realize Las Vegas is the greatest City in Nevada by far, and one of the best in America. They shouldn't take a 5 million dollar donation intended for football and rat whole for some special project other than football. This community supports UNLV athletics better than UNLV's Administration. Reallocate that money back into the football program instead of crying poverty. Once they do that the decision to hire a new coach will be the right direction to go. Too many times the people making the decisions at UNLV have made the wrong ones. Get it right this time. If reno can get it right why can the folks at UNLV get it right. Its pretty easy: when in charge take charge and do the right thing.

One last point. I will continue to support this program no matter what. I believe in this group of players. I have followed them on the road often. I was in San Diego for the game. Those kids played great, and they reacted like they had just won the National Championship. It was great. To all the Seniors on the team you gotta believe the Cannon stays in Las Vegas. No better way to go out than to put the beat down on the team from up north. Remember the movie Silence the lambs, cuss those dudes aren't wolfs.

This is a pretty solid take right here...

Last time it was Hauck. Three years in, it was a no brainer Hauck was gone. 6 total wins, 0-3 vs Reno.

What's Hauck do, goes and wins 7 games, making it virtually impossible for AD to fire him. You can't fire a guy who gets you to your 1st bowl game in 13 years. Horrible look for the school. Kunzer-Murphy extends Hauck and he promptly goes back to two wins.

2013 proved to be an anomaly - great senior leadership leading the team to a solid season DESPITE the coaching staff.

Perhaps the best single season offensive trio in UNLVfb history - Caleb Herring, Tim Cornett, and Devante Davis - carried that season.

Herring and Cornett were Mike Sanford recruits; I'm not sure if Davis was a Sanford or Hauck recruit.

But there were other key senior players all over on that '13 squad... Marcus Sullivan at WR, Tim Hasson in the secondary and Tani Maka on the D-line.

2013 proved to be "fools gold".

2013 proved to be an anomaly - great senior leadership leading the team to a solid season DESPITE the coaching staff.

Perhaps the best single season offensive trio in UNLVfb history - Caleb Herring, Tim Cornett, and Devante Davis - carried that season.

Herring and Cornett were Mike Sanford recruits; I'm not sure if Davis was a Sanford or Hauck recruit.

But there were other key senior players all over on that '13 squad... Marcus Sullivan at WR, Tim Hasson in the secondary and Tani Maka on the D-line.

2013 proved to be "fools gold".

Don't forget 5th transfer Frank Crawford at safety. He was really good in his only year here.

DeVante Davis was a Hauck guy. He tailgated with us a number of times after he graduated.

1) Really good dude.

2) Spoke glowingly of Hauck. Said Hauck set him on the right path. Helped him mature as a person.

On that note about seniors, leadership etc.
I'm simplifying things here and readily admit some of what I am about to say is laced with a little sarcasm..

Sanchez' only win over Reno was with predominantly Hauck guys. His 5-7 season (last year) was with the last of Haucks guys...These are all his dudes except for a couple RS seniors.

I've long considered lead recruiter and WR coach Cedric Cormier - the only holdover from the Hauck staff to the Sanchez staff - to be the longtime unsung hero of the program. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Cormier who really brought Devante Davis in, as well as Devante Boyd. The key offensive recruits in the 1st Sanchez class - including Lexington Thomas and Xavier Campbell - that was all Cormier.

I've long considered lead recruiter and WR coach Cedric Cormier - the only holdover from the Hauck staff to the Sanchez staff - to be the longtime unsung hero of the program. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Cormier who really brought Devante Davis in, as well as Devante Boyd. The key offensive recruits in the 1st Sanchez class - including Lexington Thomas and Xavier Campbell - that was all Cormier.

I believe Darren Woods as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT