Henderson, NV
2 new commitments
Tervell Beck : Cleveland State
Ben Coupet: Little Rock

Trey Woodbury : Utah Valley
Jonathon Tchamwa Tchatchoua :Baylor
Joel Ntambwe : Texas Tech

Only Rebel left in the Portal is Shakur Juiston

Why is Juice taking so long? It has been between Oregon, Seton Hall and Grand Canyon for well over a month. Is it a question if he will qualify as a grad transfer?

Why is Juice taking so long? It has been between Oregon, Seton Hall and Grand Canyon for well over a month. Is it a question if he will qualify as a grad transfer?

The Seton Hall fans are claiming they are waiting for a scholarship to open up for him but there is still no excuse for it to take this long. Wondering if he is weighing his options of playing in Europe instead?

Whether Juiston has been granted an extra year of eligibility yet is in question, at least to me. I'm not sure at what point he finally applied for a medical hardship waiver. Last spring Menzies said they were not applying for him to get a medical hardship waiver, because since he had not used a redshirt season yet he didn't need to. But because he played games this past season - 8 games I think - my understanding of the rules was that he would need to apply for a medical hardship to get the 5th year.

Juiston's case reminded me of former Rebel Tyrell Green, who had a similar injury-shortened season. That's why it seemed odd that Menzies believed they didn't need to apply for a waiver to get the 5th year of eligibility. The more this has dragged out the more I suspect that Menzies and his staff may have misinterpreted the rule.

Whether Juiston has been granted an extra year of eligibility yet is in question, at least to me. I'm not sure at what point he finally applied for a medical hardship waiver. Last spring Menzies said they were not applying for him to get a medical hardship waiver, because since he had not used a redshirt season yet he didn't need to. But because he played games this past season - 8 games I think - my understanding of the rules was that he would need to apply for a medical hardship to get the 5th year.

Juiston's case reminded me of former Rebel Tyrell Green, who had a similar injury-shortened season. That's why it seemed odd that Menzies believed they didn't need to apply for a waiver to get the 5th year of eligibility. The more this has dragged out the more I suspect that Menzies and his staff may have misinterpreted the rule.
Wouldn’t surprise me. They misinterpreted everything about the UNLV job.

Either way he is eligible as a grad transfer

Either way he is eligible as a grad transfer

Untrue. Wherever you play, you only get to play four total seasons. Last winter was Juiston's "senior" season. If he stays here he needs to get last winter turned into a "redshirt" season. If he goes elsewhere he needs to get last winter turned into a "redshirt" season. There is a process for that.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Untrue. Wherever you play, you only get to play four total seasons. Last winter was Juiston's "senior" season. If he stays here he needs to get last winter turned into a "redshirt" season. If he goes elsewhere he needs to get last winter turned into a "redshirt" season. There is a process for that.
He has 5 years to play 4 seasons. Since he didn't play but a few games he is eligible to graduate & transfer

He has 5 years to play 4 seasons. Since he didn't play but a few games he is eligible to graduate & transfer

He played 8 games last winter, which is considered playing a season UNTIL the NCAA exempts it as a redshirt season. So he has played four seasons UNTIL the NCAA rules that it is a redshirt season.

It is a situation similar to recent Rebel Tyrell Bellot-Green, who played sparingly in only 7 games his junior year, and UNLV applied to get that turned into a redshirt season but was not successful.

The graduate transfer rule only allows the player to not have to sit out a year (immediate eligibility), it doesn't give players an additional year of eligibility.

I thought they had already applied for it to be turned into a Redshirt season about the time he had the operation to fix his knee. They announced he would be back which is why he didn't participate in Senior Night. Maybe that was turned down so they are applying for the medical exemption now instead? But who would apply for that since he is not affiliated with any school as of yet?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT