ADVERTISEMENT

This is insane

Maiava after getting sacked for 40th time in Big 10...

harrison ford jones GIF

What is the general consensus on here re: Maiava; he is not a good QB, he isnt good enough to play at USC regardless of who he is competing with, or Miller Moss is straight up better than him?

What is the general consensus on here re: Maiava; he is not a good QB, he isnt good enough to play at USC regardless of who he is competing with, or Miller Moss is straight up better than him?
I believe this year is going to be his only shot there. If he can't make his mark in 24, I can see him transferring again. Reality is, they are going to recruit over him after this year as they are USC. I am rooting for him at USC but not especially confident it will work out. He has talent, maybe it will.

I believe this year is going to be his only shot there. If he can't make his mark in 24, I can see him transferring again. Reality is, they are going to recruit over him after this year as they are USC. I am rooting for him at USC but not especially confident it will work out. He has talent, maybe it will.
For UNLV he was a good QB, but his overall play at UNLV most likely lost some games for UNLV that they could have won with a better QB, and USC across the board tends to have more talented players.

What is the general consensus on here re: Maiava
I don't know about general consensus, but I think Maiava is a superb G5 starting QB, and probably a pretty good P4 starting QB. He doesn't have +arm or +athleticism, but he does see the field well and throws a catchable ball. If he can clean up the freshman errors like forcing, ball security and falling in love with his 1st read he might end up winning the starting job at USC. But you're not paying 7 figures in NiL to let Ju-Ju Lewis sit next year--so unless he proves to be a revelation in the B1G, he's probably going to be transferring again next season. Just my 2 cents.

they are going to recruit over him after this year as they are USC.
The signed Ju-Ju Lewis for 25 who is by most services that #1 or #2 overall QB in the country. They aren't going to try and over-recruit him

The keep getting bigger and bigger. Even UNLV has 14 players on the offensive line over 300 pounds as well as another half dozen just under 300 pounds, but the heaviest player on the UNLV OL is 340 pounds.

He was very good by UNLV standards and there is/was some upside for sure.

Downside he puts the ball in danger a lot. He made some really bad reads particularly in the bowl game.

Early in the season Marion was very 'fatherly' with him on the sidelines after a mistake. 'Hey it happens' shake it off.

By end of year you could almost see it switch to, 'Dude we've talked about this $#!+....

Couple examples.

In Utep game he threw a really bad pass when Rebs were up I think 14 late in the 2nd qtr. Defender flat out dropped it. If he catches it, he was taking it to the house and suddenly it's a close game and UTEP has life.

In Kansas game there was a 4th and one play and Maiava tried to go over the top to White. It fell incomplete. These boards went nuts (myself included) wondering what the Hell kind of play call was that. Reality is Maiava made that decision. He had the ability to check down or check out of that. There were 3-4 other guys running routes.

There was a lot of good as well. Not crapping on the guy he was a freshman. But if he doesn't start making better decisions with the ball he won't be starting for USC.

He was very good by UNLV standards and there is/was some upside for sure.

Downside he puts the ball in danger a lot. He made some really bad reads particularly in the bowl game.

Early in the season Marion was very 'fatherly' with him on the sidelines after a mistake. 'Hey it happens' shake it off.

By end of year you could almost see it switch to, 'Dude we've talked about this $#!+....

Couple examples.

In Utep game he threw a really bad pass when Rebs were up I think 14 late in the 2nd qtr. Defender flat out dropped it. If he catches it, he was taking it to the house and suddenly it's a close game and UTEP has life.

In Kansas game there was a 4th and one play and Maiava tried to go over the top to White. It fell incomplete. These boards went nuts (myself included) wondering what the Hell kind of play call was that. Reality is Maiava made that decision. He had the ability to check down or check out of that. There were 3-4 other guys running routes.

There was a lot of good as well. Not crapping on the guy he was a freshman. But if he doesn't start making better decisions with the ball he won't be starting for USC.
I was disappointed with his play in many key moments at the end of the season. But that disappointment was based upon what he did at times earlier and actually elevating expectations to a Top 40 team leader type of player. But when you step back and say, freshman, not expected to start/play … he had a very impressive season overall.

That said, I’d rather have him than not … but I don’t think he’s great … I think the offensive system in itself gave him far more opportunity than almost any system would give him. He’s far from irreplaceable.

Guess we will see... I'd feel we'd be in that Top 25/Top G5 conversation that we're just outside of if he's coming back under center with all the talent that is around the QB...that's basically why Fresno is getting talked about more than is and I think Fresno is over rated

Guess we will see... I'd feel we'd be in that Top 25/Top G5 conversation that we're just outside of if he's coming back under center with all the talent that is around the QB...that's basically why Fresno is getting talked about more than is and I think Fresno is over rated

I definitely think he has upside and would have been more comfortable with him staying vs Sluka and Taj. If for no other reason than known commodity. Although I think Sluka should he win the job fits the offense better because he puts pressure on the defense with his legs. LBs are going to have to stay home more vs dropping into coverage. That could open passing lanes...That's my hope at least.

My biggest concern with Maiava was the mistakes he got away with vs lesser competition, he got punished for vs SJSU/Boise/Kansas. And he kept making them. Some of that is opponents scheming and having tape on him. But it is also fair to say he was...Stubborn? Not absorbing coaching? I don't know.

I definitely think he has upside and would have been more comfortable with him staying vs Sluka and Taj. If for no other reason than known commodity. Although I think Sluka should he win the job fits the offense better because he puts pressure on the defense with his legs. LBs are going to have to stay home more vs dropping into coverage. That could open passing lanes...That's my hope at least.

My biggest concern with Maiava was the mistakes he got away with vs lesser competition, he got punished for vs SJSU/Boise/Kansas. And he kept making them. Some of that is opponents scheming and having tape on him. But it is also fair to say he was...Stubborn? Not absorbing coaching? I don't know.
A freshman...one thing I was encouraged by was as bad as he was in that first half of KU he did improve dramatically in the second. I think this year we would have seen a lot of those mistakes decrease.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I think everything on this thread is true. He may have gotten a little too much flak on these boards given he was a freshman who wasn't expected to start. That being said, he did make some big mistakes over and over, and he wasn't a perfect fit for this offense.
I think he would do better with more success on traditional run plays where we struggled. A more true option at QB would have helped, but doesn't automatically fix some of our run game struggles on early downs.
I agree with his return we would be more in the conversation as a MW contender. Being Freshman of the Year and second team all conference and all. Though he did feast early and struggled down the stretch.
Hr is going to perhaps the best QB developer on the country. And their staff liked his game enough to pay to bring him over. Though I agree, he will gave to improve greatly not to be relegated to 3rd string for thr foreseeable future.

I believe he's an extremely talented QB... that could certainly get the starting job there a couple weeks in.
I think that he did not have chemistry with our OC or they conflicted for whatever reason. In fact I think the HC was hoping the OC would jump to keep the QB. Just my gut
I'm really concerned with the QB position for this year - hope I'm wrong and the talent recruited will come through, but the chemistry/momentum lost... stupid imo

I believe he's an extremely talented QB... that could certainly get the starting job there a couple weeks in.
I think that he did not have chemistry with our OC or they conflicted for whatever reason. In fact I think the HC was hoping the OC would jump to keep the QB. Just my gut
I'm really concerned with the QB position for this year - hope I'm wrong and the talent recruited will come through, but the chemistry/momentum lost... stupid imo
In the last few games of the season I really didn't feel like the chemistry was clicking on all cylinders!

Reactions: RedCannon
The offense will be much better this year without him. Sluka is a far better player right now. He has far more experience, makes faster reads, and has a willingness to use his legs that Maiava didn’t. The whole offense can now open up. Maiava wasn’t capable of that.
Sluka is a legit run threat and has great field/back cut vision. He's maybe not as big a 'take it to the house' run threat that Armani Rogers or DougieB was, but is a better thrower than either of those guys. My biggest concern is his accuracy/touch on the medium length throws as he was below 60% completion rate for most of his career.

But he also might be the best run option quarterback we've seen at UNLV. He understands the mesh point and the option reads and makes the right one pretty often in the limited tape I watched--whereas JM and DB were both very poor in that aspect of the gogo.

Last edited:
Sluka is a legit run threat and has great field/back cut vision. He's maybe not as big a 'take it to the house' run threat that Armani Rogers or DougieB was, but is a better thrower than either of those guys. My biggest concern is his accuracy/touch on the medium length throws as he was below 60% completion rate for most of his career.

But he also might be the best run option quarterback we've seen at UNLV. He understands the mesh point and the option reads and makes the right one pretty often in the limited tape I watched--whereas JM and DB were both very poor in that aspect of the gogo.
He has a Ricky White... Who needs the mid-range stuff, lol

He has a Ricky White... Who needs the mid-range stuff, lol
With our spread and some of our speed, we need to hit some shorties when Ricky is running longer routes. With an open field, we can get some good gains with those shorter passes.

I’m really hoping Sluka can tuck it and run - I don’t think Maiava was strong with that, he did ok, he was a big guy …. But I’d love a guy who can get out there and get some regular yards.

With the gogo, everything needs to be a legitimate option.

The father to one of UNLV's current offensive lineman is a good friend of mine. I was talking him about the team for this year. He stated as per a conversation he had with his son is the offense has improved from what theu had last year. The defense has improved quite a lot from last year. He did think they will miss their fg kicker but other than that the special teams will be improved also. He believes the team will have a better win total than they did last year. This coming from one of the players i am going to put a little stock into it and trust him and look forward to a great year

The father to one of UNLV's current offensive lineman is a good friend of mine. I was talking him about the team for this year. He stated as per a conversation he had with his son is the offense has improved from what theu had last year. The defense has improved quite a lot from last year. He did think they will miss their fg kicker but other than that the special teams will be improved also. He believes the team will have a better win total than they did last year. This coming from one of the players i am going to put a little stock into it and trust him and look forward to a great year
Yeah, I know there's some tough names on the OOC schedule but the conference schedule is a gift... We get the bottom half of the conference, we avoid AFA and CSU, and we get both Boise and Fresno at home...

Yeah, I know there's some tough names on the OOC schedule but the conference schedule is a gift... We get the bottom half of the conference, we avoid AFA and CSU, and we get both Boise and Fresno at home...
We got smoked by Boise last season. Hopefully we can put up a better performance this season. They had big play after big play, and a couple of UNLV turnovers in a short stretch put the game out of reach. Aside from the Michigan game, that was the only game UNLV got crushed last season.

That's a good point, I don't know why any offense doesn't just run all 9s every play lol.
New Offense... Build a beast of an O-line, Get a dual threat QB, 3 really good WRs and instead of one short, medium, long route, you extend that to long, really long, and really really long, and then drop RBs into the flat or a TE in the space where a spy would sit...

We got smoked by Boise last season. Hopefully we can put up a better performance this season. They had big play after big play, and a couple of UNLV turnovers in a short stretch put the game out of reach. Aside from the Michigan game, that was the only game UNLV got crushed last season.
Id like to think we got them during a perfect storm internally... They were playing hard for their Interim coach chip on shoulder, we had our coordinator off interviewing for jobs, Our QB and OC were heading for a divorce one way or another, we didnt play well at all defensively.. all that led to a loss that really sucked. Hopefully getting them in the thick of conference play brings motivation.

Id like to think we got them during a perfect storm internally... They were playing hard for their Interim coach chip on shoulder, we had our coordinator off interviewing for jobs, Our QB and OC were heading for a divorce one way or another, we didnt play well at all defensively.. all that led to a loss that really sucked. Hopefully getting them in the thick of conference play brings motivation.
UNLV needs a huge ship on their shoulder when the play BSU. We also need a really large 30-35
Like A Boss Ship GIF
K plus crowd to help motivate the team!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT