ADVERTISEMENT

The staff can't recruit

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
I talked to two transfers who we recruited. They both said that the staff didn't apply enough pressure. These are not scrubs either, it's 2 guys who had interest in coming to Vegas and are better than the folks we got.

Glad to see the staff trying their best and going after guys like they really want them!

UCI is a better program.
1990 was 34 years ago.
UNLV is completely irrelevant, has been for a long time and that won’t change anytime soon, or maybe ever.

Last edited:
I talked to two transfers who we recruited. They both said that the staff didn't apply enough pressure. These are not scrubs either, it's 2 guys who had interest in coming to Vegas and are better than the folks we got.

Glad to see the staff trying their best and going after guys like they really want them!
Tell us something we don’t know!

Somebody please wake up the Athletic Department mgmt.

Any updates on who may get? Seems like we missed on our original options. Curious who are the plan B players.

Reactions: rebel5280

When you do not have the money you do not have the money. Pretty simple

Ballo’s NIL asking price according to Goodman was $1.2 mill! I don’t know if Mike Woodson and Indiana paid the $1.2 mill. But Ballo is now a Hoosier! Also, no pressure needed IMO. Just $$$$! This is what happens when a school has a Billionaire alum like Mark Cuban who is into Hoops.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...to-indiana-after-entering-cbb-transfer-portal
It’s getting to the point where in many cases, a coaches recruiting ability won’t matter, their schemes won’t matter, motivation, etc, etc. NIL resources will be the primary factor. Which sucks.

It’s getting to the point where in many cases, a coaches recruiting ability won’t matter, their schemes won’t matter, motivation, etc, etc. NIL resources will be the primary factor. Which sucks.
Joe, IMO if a school has a Billionaire alum who is willing to support the athletic program conference affiliation doesn’t even matter. For example, if Long Beach State had a Billionaire alum who set aside $10 mill per year in NIL $$$$ they would immediately become a top 10 program.

Could you imagine the unlimited NIL $$$$ Oklahoma State sports would have today if T. Boone Pickens was still alive? They would be top 5 in everything. On T.Boone:

“In OSU’s $1 billion Branding Success fundraising campaign, he challenged other alums to be generous by agreeing to match donations up to $100 million. Pickens was one of the most generous university benefactors of all time, having so far contributed more than $652 million to his alma mater, divided nearly evenly between academics and athletics.”

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Lon raised the $$$$ to build the Mendenhall.
Sure but everyone knows Lon didn’t recruit as hard as he could have. He focused entirely on culture and having character (air conditioning guy/ Joel Anthony/ Joe Darger/Lopez etc). It works to an extent until you get boatraced in the tournament by Illinois.

I do think Junior has learned a lot from last years mistake of signing the Boone twins. He thought it was a tournament team on paper (and it was) but the chemistry, team togetherness just wasn’t there and you can’t force it. It showed on the court, it was obvious to me that guys were off on some nights and it didn’t bother them.

If you read into Krugers most recent comments on recruiting, he says he’s looking for guys that can fit in with the group already in place. I read that as Kruger looking for guys that will push and support his teammates, not just looking to just pad stats.

This is Kruger's last shot to get it right.

Sure but everyone knows Lon didn’t recruit as hard as he could have. He focused entirely on culture and having character (air conditioning guy/ Joel Anthony/ Joe Darger/Lopez etc). It works to an extent until you get boatraced in the tournament by Illinois.

I do think Junior has learned a lot from last years mistake of signing the Boone twins. He thought it was a tournament team on paper (and it was) but the chemistry, team togetherness just wasn’t there and you can’t force it. It showed on the court, it was obvious to me that guys were off on some nights and it didn’t bother them.

If you read into Krugers most recent comments on recruiting, he says he’s looking for guys that can fit in with the group already in place. I read that as Kruger looking for guys that will push and support his teammates, not just looking to just pad stats.

I do agree with that and it makes sense for the reasons you listed but you also need guys who can play. They have a lot of points to make up from last year's roster and he needs more than someone whose best asset is they can play nice with others. If he doesn't get another shooter then good luck to him...

IMO i think CKK is in over his head. The NIL money is all that matters these days. Some might take a slight paycut to go to a team with the chance of winning at a high level. Unfortunately we are neither. CKK is what i would call a bad investment for NIL money. i hope CKK talent evaluation is insane . Thats what as of now is going to take us to have any shot at post season. UNLV needs to invest to have ANY shot of success. Get the capital to hire a WW(pray) and NIL, way more tickets sold, and able to attract better players not only thru NIL money ,but as having a more alluring HC.

Ballo’s NIL asking price according to Goodman was $1.2 mill! I don’t know if Mike Woodson and Indiana paid the $1.2 mill. But Ballo is now a Hoosier! Also, no pressure needed IMO. Just $$$$! This is what happens when a school has a Billionaire alum like Mark Cuban who is into Hoops.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...to-indiana-after-entering-cbb-transfer-portal
Would love to see Ballo's GPA? To get their NIL, they should have a GPA metric to meet for them to receive it.

2 things.

The plug and play approach of bringing in rental players, though talented hasn't worked. It is hard to build a system that way, especially if you stress defense like Kevin wants to.

the other thing, the price for these players is growing exponentially. No idea if this is the case, but there was smoke for Dedan leaving, and he decided to stick around. Did Kevin we double down on his NIL limiting our budget elsewhere? It is very possible.

Or he wants more longer term players and try to recruit to fit the team he has, as opposed to trying to get the best guns for hire without thinking about fit.

It could be a bit of both. Though if he ultimately has to recruit for fit whether he is forced to or not, is probably the better approach for this level.

Joe, IMO if a school has a Billionaire alum who is willing to support the athletic program conference affiliation doesn’t even matter. For example, if Long Beach State had a Billionaire alum who set aside $10 mill per year in NIL $$$$ they would immediately become a top 10 program.

2 things.

The plug and play approach of bringing in rental players, though talented hasn't worked. It is hard to build a system that way, especially if you stress defense like Kevin wants to.

the other thing, the price for these players is growing exponentially. No idea if this is the case, but there was smoke for Dedan leaving, and he decided to stick around. Did Kevin we double down on his NIL limiting our budget elsewhere? It is very possible.

Or he wants more longer term players and try to recruit to fit the team he has, as opposed to trying to get the best guns for hire without thinking about fit.

It could be a bit of both. Though if he ultimately has to recruit for fit whether he is forced to or not, is probably the better approach for this level.
Dude, we probably doubled the NIL to keep Dedan and Whaley..

Everyone else is peanuts.

Just close the Mack and move us into Cox Pavillion. Last year was a dry run..

The future is now.

Reactions: TimothyC3

Kruger 2.0 Same ol Story as Dad - Not an aggressive recruiter

Well, we have the ultimate excuse in place now. We couldn’t win at a high enough level because we couldn’t recruit well enough. We couldn’t recruit well enough because of the NIL situation. Had nothing to do with program management, roster management, etc, etc, etc … coach did great, the problem was NIL.

Except that more than half the league in the same situation but with lesser resources has still made the dance …

But you can feel the shift of “blame” thick in the air ….

Makes you really wonder what Kevin is doing or feeling pressure wise if there wasn't an urgency to recruit certain players. Either he isnt feeling any pressure from Harper, which would be a huge red flag, or he doesnt care because the writing was on the wall anyways so hes trying to do his best "Im building with "my" type of guy rather than bring ing in best available rentals".. Its a few years too late for that approach now, but not letting him go after losing in the MWC tournament led us to this juncture. Can he build around DTJ with a bunch of young pieces that you hope play better together rather than a concentration of talent at 3 or 4 spots, I guess.. but either Hill is further along in his rehab and he thinks Hicks is going to start going for 15ppg next year or he just isnt trying

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Makes you really wonder what Kevin is doing or feeling pressure wise if there wasn't an urgency to recruit certain players. Either he isnt feeling any pressure from Harper, which would be a huge red flag, or he doesnt care because the writing was on the wall anyways so hes trying to do his best "Im building with "my" type of guy rather than bring ing in best available rentals".. Its a few years too late for that approach now, but not letting him go after losing in the MWC tournament led us to this juncture. Can he build around DTJ with a bunch of young pieces that you hope play better together rather than a concentration of talent at 3 or 4 spots, I guess.. but either Hill is further along in his rehab and he thinks Hicks is going to start going for 15ppg next year or he just isnt trying
The 5 and 4 and 1 positions are all solid. So the C, PF, and PG are all solid. The problem is the 2, 3 positions which are critical in the college game. Brooklyn Hicks need to really show great improvements in his game to rotate between those two positions. Hill can play the SF position while Whaley and Cherry in together. Cherry, Npape, and Whaley in together would be interesting. Tough defensively. The DePaul transfer supposedly able to play SG, SF, and PF in certain lineup. He was DePaul main weapon last year from my understanding.
I was hoping for Max Shulga but he committed to Villanova.

Actually, when you look at the the final two open scholarships 2024/2025 I get the concern.

But how deficient is recruiting when both Evans and Pape are consensus top 150 recruits in the country out of high school? In fact, based on performance at Pangos Top 100 where he made the top 30 game Pape might be undervalued. Bear is a top 15 juco. So was Whaley. Hick's was another Top 150 player and Mr. Basketball coming out of Washington. DJ was 5 star and one of the top freshmen pg's in the country. I am really surprised that he wasn't poached with all the Big Time NIL $$$$ floating around! Next, you have P5 transfers in Hill and Cottrell coming back and a athletic 4 in Barnabie. In the Portal UNLV adds Henley and Whiting. Henley is a 6'7" slasher and Whiting averaged approximately 13 mpg at Bosie but shot 50% from 3 and 81% from the line. Both are juniors and have their best basketball ahead of them.

I see the final two spots going to a veteran 2 and a freshmen pg to back up DJ. I feel there will be enough talent and a good mix of veteran and new players to make the ncaa's. If UNLV doesn't, it won't come down to lack of talent, but coaching. There will be no excuses. Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT