ADVERTISEMENT

The MWC teams look good one day and like crap the next

Rebel1986

Rebel Legend
Feb 25, 2011
Las Vegas
It is funny how the teams in the MWC will play one day and destroy a decent team in the MWC, and the next day they will get destroyed by a bottom feeder. unr beats Fresno 77-73 and a week later they get destroyed by a 2-5 Utah State team 78-49. UNLV gets destroyed by 3-1 SDSU 80-55 and the next week UNLV beats 6-1 CSU 88-74. UNLV loses 69-62 to 2-3 Air Force, and the next week they lose 73-53 to CSU.

I expect that some of this is due to the Chinese virus (Covid for those who do not want to use the original name) putting players out of the game, but that doesn't explain how UNLV goes into a game with most of their players on the bench and plays there best game in over a month. It makes you wonder if some of the starters have been dragging the program down because they are not as coachable as the team that played CSU?

It is funny how the teams in the MWC will play one day and destroy a decent team in the MWC, and the next day they will get destroyed by a bottom feeder. unr beats Fresno 77-73 and a week later they get destroyed by a 2-5 Utah State team 78-49. UNLV gets destroyed by 3-1 SDSU 80-55 and the next week UNLV beats 6-1 CSU 88-74. UNLV loses 69-62 to 2-3 Air Force, and the next week they lose 73-53 to CSU.

I expect that some of this is due to the Chinese virus (Covid for those who do not want to use the original name) putting players out of the game, but that doesn't explain how UNLV goes into a game with most of their players on the bench and plays there best game in over a month. It makes you wonder if some of the starters have been dragging the program down because they are not as coachable as the team that played CSU?
Keep your racist viewpoint off these boards.

So either you are working for the country of China as an agent, or you do not have a level of education that allows you to know the difference between a race and a country, either was get an education. If you are calling me a racist, do it in my face and not behind you computer. Typical comment from someone that doesn't like what they read, so they call anyone that doesn't hold to their agenda a racist? Considering you make about two comments per year, you are at your quota, so should consider keeping your political views to yourself.

Reactions: 86Rebel and brentjg
So either you are working for the country of China as an agent, or you do not have a level of education that allows you to know the difference between a race and a country, either was get an education. If you are calling me a racist, do it in my face and not behind you computer. Typical comment from someone that doesn't like what they read, so they call anyone that doesn't hold to their agenda a racist? Considering you make about two comments per year, you are at your quota, so should consider keeping your political views to yourself.
Are you just pulling random words out of your hat?

If someone is going to call me a racist, they better be able to back it up based on the definition of a racist, and not just toss out that word because they don't like what I have said. In the real world that comment would be considered libel!

If someone is going to call me a racist, they better be able to back it up based on the definition of a racist, and not just toss out that word because they don't like what I have said. In the real world that comment would be considered libel!
Dont be a coward. Keep your racist/political viewpoint off of this sports forum. Nobody comes in this board for that.

Yes, it's definitely not racist to call COVID-19 "The Chinese Virus" which has resulted in an increase in anti-Asian hate crimes across the United States and implies the origin came from those "dirty orientals...."

Yes, it's definitely not racist to call COVID-19 "The Chinese Virus" which has resulted in an increase in anti-Asian hate crimes across the United States and implies the origin came from those "dirty orientals...."
The Spanish Flu has entered the chat.

• Haha
Reactions: brentjg
The Spanish Flu has entered the chat.
The Spanish Flu name was also improperly applied. Spain was a neutral country in World War I and did not have the same amount of censorship compared to other countries involved in the war at the time, so reporting there freely associated the flu with Spain and it gave the appearance that Spain was the locus of the epidemic, despite it impacting other countries in a similar way. In fact, Spanish officials protested this heavily once they realized people made the association. Also, the virus did not originate from Spain.

If you look at other countries in WWI who had outbreaks before the "Spanish Flu" name was popularized, Germany called the flu the "Russian pest" and Italians called it the "German disease," so yes, they are all used with an intent to demonize the "other."

Last edited:
Reactions: 9th_Islander
1986 does not even know where the anti-asian term came from. It was not the original name. That was coined by the former President in a press conference, well into the pandemic. He was trying to shift attention because his administration had gotten a late start on fighting Covid. His own medical people disowned the phrase.
He also fails to recognize that the demonizing of Asians by this led to a large increase in hate crimes.
The term is so seldom used today, that it is mostly forgotten, anyway.

The Spanish flu, by most research, seems to have originated, strangely, in Kansas.

And, since the op was about the MWC, 1986 needs to research a bit. The conference is more respected off this board than on. The upsets he cites are not shockers. 7-8 of the teams are rated in the top 100. Although all ratings are arbitrary, based largely on pre-conceived evaluations, the are somewhat accurate, because they look at all teams, not just the limited number most of us see.

Finally, apologies for getting back into politics. I will plead, however, that I still have never begun a political discussion on this board, and have stayed out of most.

Dont be a coward. Keep your racist/political viewpoint off of this sports forum. Nobody comes in this board for that.

Don't be a coward? You started this. You use a fake name to call a man a racist.

I, for one, am sick of scolds like you.

Next to murderer and rapist there is no worse accusation than "Racist". It shuts down all discussion, which in fact is exactly what you want, isn't it?

Racist Definition

noun​

1. A person who believes a particular race is superior to others.
  2. a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others
This man said nothing about superiority.

200 hundred years ago, not that long as far as human history goes, accusing someone of one of the worst actions in society could easily get a person called out to a duel. That alone forced people to not easily accuse a person of a heinous act. But not today. Now people like you can get on their keyboard and slander people any time they want.

And now that you bring up racism read this!!

There is a way to deal with people who offend you on this board. It's called blocking. Use it.

Big problem in today's world, if someone doesn't agree with something you say then you are automatically racist. If you do anything that doesn't support their cause you are racist. Is there racism in today's society, absolutely there is, but the word is the most improperly used word in the English vocabulary.

Celery is racist cuz I want it gone. Pretty close to the same logic used by people with any opinion they do not like racist.

Don't be a coward? You started this. You use a fake name to call a man a racist.

I, for one, am sick of scolds like you.

Next to murderer and rapist there is no worse accusation than "Racist". It shuts down all discussion, which in fact is exactly what you want, isn't it?

Racist Definition

noun​

1. A person who believes a particular race is superior to others.
  2. a person with a prejudiced belief that one race is superior to others
This man said nothing about superiority.

200 hundred years ago, not that long as far as human history goes, accusing someone of one of the worst actions in society could easily get a person called out to a duel. That alone forced people to not easily accuse a person of a heinous act. But not today. Now people like you can get on their keyboard and slander people any time they want.

And now that you bring up racism read this!!

There is a way to deal with people who offend you on this board. It's called blocking. Use it.
9a9.jpg

Reactions: NSU67 and frock133
It’s very telling that some people are more offended by someone being called a racist than they are by racism. Every single day there are hundreds of publicly known and discussed incidents of racism, which would surely pass the muster of whatever arbitrary definition of racism that anyone would ever put forward, but I don’t remember ever reading a post from any of the folks here who are so incensed and offended about someone being called a racist that expresses a single bit of outrage or even concern about any of those incidents. I wonder why that is.

It’s very telling that some people are more offended by someone being called a racist than they are by racism. Every single day there are hundreds of publicly known and discussed incidents of racism, which would surely pass the muster of whatever arbitrary definition of racism that anyone would ever put forward, but I don’t remember ever reading a post from any of the folks here who are so incensed and offended about someone being called a racist that expresses a single bit of outrage or even concern about any of those incidents. I wonder why that is.
Bingo. The OP used a codeword to cover up his Asian hate viewpoint so it doesnt fit the exact dictionary definition, so now they are not a "racist". We see through the BS though. Racism cant be tolerated and must be called out for what it is, not blocking or covering my eyes to it. Yeah the OP is a coward for hiding on the internet to spread his hate 'cause i'm pretty sure he doesnt use that phrase at work or school, it wouldnt be accepted.

Can I insert here that the latest bracketology has 4 MWC teams in. The general opinions of the ranking services have 4 teams in that range.
Seven in the top 100 or so.

So, the MWC will indeed get 2 bids. No way they get more. That's not how it works.

Can I insert here that the latest bracketology has 4 MWC teams in. The general opinions of the ranking services have 4 teams in that range.
Seven in the top 100 or so.

So, the MWC will indeed get 2 bids. No way they get more. That's not how it works.
On paper, we have some pretty good candidates for at-large bids. Not that I care outside of UNLV, but I’m guessing with you in terms of 2-3 bids tops.

The thing is, with most rating services, including NET, the arbitrary evaluations begin with the evaluation of the conference.
If the MWC does better, it affects UNLV's standing.
If even our own folks constantly downgrade our conference, that will affect UNLV, too.

With this year's numbers, it is a shame that others apparently think more of the league than we do.

Bingo. The OP used a codeword to cover up his Asian hate viewpoint so it doesnt fit the exact dictionary definition, so now they are not a "racist". We see through the BS though. Racism cant be tolerated and must be called out for what it is, not blocking or covering my eyes to it. Yeah the OP is a coward for hiding on the internet to spread his hate 'cause i'm pretty sure he doesnt use that phrase at work or school, it wouldnt be accepted.
Asian hate viewpoint? Making a widely shared opinion makes someone racist? You do realize most Americans see through this name calling, oh, I guess you don't.

Reactions: Rutaylormd
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT