ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving hoops

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
Anybody recall some good times over TGiving with Rebel hoops? I'm not going to double check, and there are probably others, but these stand out in my mind.

One year under Kruger, we played in Anaheim, I believe it was a tournament over Thanksgiving. We won it, it was the 76 Classic or something like that. No, they weren't huge name teams but it was solid competition and we played very well. I think that team went on to win a game in the NCAAT? ... No. now that I think about it, I think was our first glimpse at Chase Stanback and he shot really well and QT played well. Foggy.

Pre-season NIT in '86, I believe that was over Thanksgiving. Wow. Beating ranked Arizona at the Mack, then ousting top 10 Oklahoma ... then heading to MSG to beat Temple by two and then Western Kentucky in double overtime by a point on a Gerald Paddio buzzer beater three. Wow. Absolutely insane. We jumped from #5 to #2 to #1 in early December and stayed there for the rest of the season.

I think the Maui Classic was over Thanksgiving a few years back. Heartbreaking two point loss vs UCLA, boring win vs Chaminade, then a huge win over Indiana, I think they were around top 10.

Any others that stand out?

Reactions: CRhodes1983
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.