ADVERTISEMENT

Success for the Rebs

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
If we are to be successful this year I think that Hardy needs to be a 25-30 pt/gm guy with Tillman chipping in 12-15 and the rest coming from wherever it happens to come from on any given night. At this point I don’t see that this team has the talent to really make it on great team play. Watching Hamilton I do believe that he has the potential to be a double figure guy this year, he is a pretty good sized guard that can bully his way around and he has a nice looking stroke even though the shots haven’t started falling yet.

Jonah can have nights where he might go for a bunch as can Long and Tillman but Otz looks like he knows that this is the hand he has to play this year. I personally have nothing against having a star on the team. In the past I have called Hardy a poor man’s Russell Westbrook but now he is UNLV’s Russell Westbrook and he will have to learn to deal with all the defensive attention he will be receiving because no one else on the team is up to the task.

We are also going to have to start really digging in defensively because what I just described is a team that is only gonna score around 70 a game so we are gonna have to tighten it up significantly and play some hard nosed Kruger style defense.

I am okay with this brand of bball and if the D and Hardy’s scoring become our trademarks this year the fans will enjoy the games.

Just one guys opinion!

Just hoping the players keep their heads up and don't let this season's struggles affect them long-term. They don't have near enough weapons to realistically challenge for conference now but help is coming. Jenkins and Hardy will be the best backcourt in the MWC and possibly the nation next year(if Hardy doesn't go pro that is - no guarantee in this day).

Just hoping the players keep their heads up and don't let this season's struggles affect them long-term. They don't have near enough weapons to realistically challenge for conference now but help is coming. Jenkins and Hardy will be the best backcourt in the MWC and possibly the nation next year(if Hardy doesn't go pro that is - no guarantee in this day).
I’m concerned a bit about next season. While you are right about the backcourt, we need to fortify elsewhere - shooting .... what about PG play? Hardy? It can work but takes away from his real game and his energy in a similar way that it did with Marshall. It works but far from ideal. We will be pretty upperclassman heavy next season, have to take advantage. While I think Blake is going to be an eventual stud, he will contribute nicely next season... but the rest of the class? I don’t care what they are rated or ranked, for anybody that has seen them or has people that know what they are talking about that they trust who have seen them play - they are zero impact guys, especially as freshman.

We have too much deadweight on the bench, imo, and we are bringing in too many deadweight players - and we need to compliment the upperclassman. And once they are gone .... so yeah, I’m concerned.

I do think we will see the roster ALOT different than what we anticipate it to be next season, not only playing roster but among the commits. I hope so, at least.

I think we need a JC and/or grad transfer to compliment next year’s team and make them competitive for the MWC. We need a shooter, a big, a PG.... they don’t have to start but they have to be regular rotation guys. IMO.

If Wood fills the void of shooter, that’s fine. I’m a little gunshy on that one though, if you are averaging 4ppg at Tulane..... Obviously the coaches have the feel/will have the better feel as he spends time with the team.

I’m concerned a bit about next season. While you are right about the backcourt, we need to fortify elsewhere - shooting .... what about PG play? Hardy? It can work but takes away from his real game and his energy in a similar way that it did with Marshall. It works but far from ideal. We will be pretty upperclassman heavy next season, have to take advantage. While I think Blake is going to be an eventual stud, he will contribute nicely next season... but the rest of the class? I don’t care what they are rated or ranked, for anybody that has seen them or has people that know what they are talking about that they trust who have seen them play - they are zero impact guys, especially as freshman.

We have too much deadweight on the bench, imo, and we are bringing in too many deadweight players - and we need to compliment the upperclassman. And once they are gone .... so yeah, I’m concerned.

I do think we will see the roster ALOT different than what we anticipate it to be next season, not only playing roster but among the commits. I hope so, at least.

I think we need a JC and/or grad transfer to compliment next year’s team and make them competitive for the MWC. We need a shooter, a big, a PG.... they don’t have to start but they have to be regular rotation guys. IMO.

If Wood fills the void of shooter, that’s fine. I’m a little gunshy on that one though, if you are averaging 4ppg at Tulane..... Obviously the coaches have the feel/will have the better feel as he spends time with the team.

No argument there. I thought Coach filled the class out a little too quickly without taking stock of what he was capable of bringing in with a little more patience.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I think I made a case about UNLV finishing top 5, two spot better than where they were forecasted. I said 'Oh, UNLV has better talent than people are giving them credit for. 4 stars and returning players, blah blah blah.'

If we finish 7 we'll be fortunate. Its gonna be a long year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT