ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB Next Season

Boston Rebel 2

Retired Number
Gold Member
Sep 30, 2020
Any thoughts here? Brumsfeld was never the same after the injury. Was early season a fluke? I imagine he gets a chance to show whether or not that is the case. Unless Bailey steals it from him. He showed some flashes he missed guys wide open (long every time but also within inches) maybe he cleans that up. Slow release but can get the ball downfield if he is accurate with it maybe he can get the job.

Any thoughts here? Brumsfeld was never the same after the injury. Was early season a fluke? I imagine he gets a chance to show whether or not that is the case. Unless Bailey steals it from him. He showed some flashes he missed guys wide open (long every time but also within inches) maybe he cleans that up. Slow release but can get the ball downfield if he is accurate with it maybe he can get the job.
It's no secret that the first 5 games and the last 2 on the schedule were far inferior teams than the 5 team stretch between SJSU through Fresno State (to include those two, AFA, ND, and SDSU).

I think brumfield showed a lot to be happy for and some of what he's capable of in the early season and between concussion and playing better teams (except hawaii and the 2 3 and outs against reno), he came back to reality.

I'd love for him to stay, but he would have to re-earn the job in my opinion (as every qb and player should every year).

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Looks like Brusmfeld is injury prone, can't count on him to play every game. He really struggled even before his injury, he was not that good against UNM, don't tell their defense causes anyone trouble, they were dirt.
USU handed the game to UNLV.
To me UNLV needs to run no matter who the QB is, to keep the defense off the field, and they were dreadful, they gave up 458 years to freaking Reno, and got lucky their coach may be even worse then Arroyo on play calling.

Whoever is the QB, they will play against Bryant, then the beat down at Michigan, the huge game will be Vanderbilt, who finished 5-7, beat Florida and Kentucky this year, and at home it's huge game for UNLV to see if they will collapse again or if they might have mental toughness to do anything next year.

Arroyo can't rally the troops, that's huge red-flag for me, since he's coming back, no one is hiring him away, if your AD, you tell him 7 or 8 wins or he's gone, you can thank him for the recruiting, but with facility and stadium, we need a coach who can win and get better as the season goes, not completely fall apart and lose to Hawaii of all teams, really, that's how stinking bad this team was the last 7 games, just horrible.

If the women in volleyball and hoops can win, why can't the top 3 men programs win in MWC, it's not like it's good conference, freaking Boise State lost to El Paso, this is what I am talking about, it's just horrible conference and UNLV can't even compete agains the sewer league in Football, enough of the excuses, the mentality of this program, is losing and Arroyo is not going to change that, I hope I am wrong, but the eye and smell test says other wise.

Only good thing they got Red Cannon from freaking Reno, blank them.

Bailey is not the answer, he needs a great OL in order to do what he does consistently and let’s be real Arroyo can recruit some guys but not OL and DL guys or we would have seen some improvement there by now and we haven’t yet. We still don’t block well and we don’t put pressure on the QB consistently at all… see the Hawaii game.

Bailey is not the answer, he needs a great OL in order to do what he does consistently and let’s be real Arroyo can recruit some guys but not OL and DL guys or we would have seen some improvement there by now and we haven’t yet. We still don’t block well and we don’t put pressure on the QB consistently at all… see the Hawaii game.
He does need a good OL due to lack of scrambling but with that said he could have had a 400 yard day with a little more touch on the ball despite the fact that Reno's DL was making sandwiches in our backfield.

Reactions: rebel5280
He does need a good OL due to lack of scrambling but with that said he could have had a 400 yard day with a little more touch on the ball despite the fact that Reno's DL was making sandwiches in our backfield.
Doug is pretty damn fragile. Good when he’s healthy and has protection.

I know the schedule was really weak early, hence the fast start … but we were exposed as time went on. Not that the offensive line was ever great, but they really wilted. Robbins looked solid early, but he had some space in the lines to grind out 4-5 yard gains before breaking some bigger ones. Now he’s getting hit at the line or behind the line and getting a yard or two. Pass protection also wilted. Depth, injuries … subpar conditioning? I don’t know, but it was visible.

The offense had so many fruitless 3 and outs on the season and they’d put them up back to back to back. That’s a lot of pressure on the defense. I think the defense, for the most part, was good enough to keep us in games. The offense didn’t live up to their end.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I may be in the minority, but I think Bailey could be the starter next year.

It was documented that he was behind due to the new offense and the playbook from where he started.

I thought he did a decent job coming in getting back up reps this week. He looked better tha. Brum before he went out.

I couldn't see the game, but apparently Bailey showed flashes against ND?

I dint know if it the offense, play design, WRs route running or position coaching, or Brumfield. But Brum would get loaded boxes selling out for the run and couldn't make the defense pay. This was the most obvious against Fresno. Bailey showed some ability to make a quick read and an easy throw. He missed a couple, but also made some good throws as well. I can see after a full year in the system Bailey having an upper hand.

The o line has been bad at times this year, but probably are getting a little too much blame, imo. Whoever the QB, the Oline as a unit needs to improve though.

Doug is pretty damn fragile. Good when he’s healthy and has protection.

I know the schedule was really weak early, hence the fast start … but we were exposed as time went on. Not that the offensive line was ever great, but they really wilted. Robbins looked solid early, but he had some space in the lines to grind out 4-5 yard gains before breaking some bigger ones. Now he’s getting hit at the line or behind the line and getting a yard or two. Pass protection also wilted. Depth, injuries … subpar conditioning? I don’t know, but it was visible.

The offense had so many fruitless 3 and outs on the season and they’d put them up back to back to back. That’s a lot of pressure on the defense. I think the defense, for the most part, was good enough to keep us in games. The offense didn’t live up to their end.
Yeah I think our offense had a lot to do with the regression of our defense late in the season. You can only turn the ball over and get 3 and out so many times. Yeah the schedule was weak early but we did beat two teams that were a hell of a lot better than some we lost to (or almost lost to) end of the season. Our O line was serviceable early maybe it is as simple as conditioning.

I may be in the minority, but I think Bailey could be the starter this year.

It was documented that he was behind due to the new offense and the playbook from where he started.

I thought he did a decent job coming in getting back up reps this week. He looked better tha. Brum before he went out.

I couldn't see the game, but apparently Bailey showed flashes against ND?

I dint know if it the offense, play design, WRs route running or position coaching, or Brumfield. But Brum would get loaded boxes selling out for the run and couldn't make the defense pay. This was the most obvious against Fresno. Bailey showed some ability to make a quick read and an easy throw. He missed a couple, but also made some good throws as well. I can see after a full year in the system Bailey having an upper hand.

The o line has been bad at times this year, but probably are getting a little too much blame, imo. Whoever the QB, the Oline as a unit needs to improve though.
I would like to see what he could do and he did show some flashes. He was by far the best QB in the ND game he moved the ball which was nil before he entered the game. We had a dozen fans ask us why he wasn't our starting QB.

It's no secret that the first 5 games and the last 2 on the schedule were far inferior teams than the 5 team stretch between SJSU through Fresno State (to include those two, AFA, ND, and SDSU).

I think brumfield showed a lot to be happy for and some of what he's capable of in the early season and between concussion and playing better teams (except hawaii and the 2 3 and outs against reno), he came back to reality.

I'd love for him to stay, but he would have to re-earn the job in my opinion (as every qb and player should every year).

One of these least discussed abilities of players is availability, and unfortunately Doug hadn't been often enough.

Hard to grade Bailey on so few reps. He probably didn't get many this week in practice.

I think this game again points to something I've harped on..Execution vs play calling.

Doug and Bailey both hit open guys and had drops. Bailey missed a few open guys. The calls were obviously right in all those situations but there was a lack of execution at some level.

Where I would point to play calling or possible poor preparation, there were a number of plays where Reno brought a blitz and guys went untouched to the QB. Not sure if O-LINE or QBs failed to check out of a play or change blocking scheme or simply didn't recognize the look defense was giving them. That could fall on coaching.

I think it will be a wide open QB competition as you said and it should be.

One of these least discussed abilities of players is availability, and unfortunately Doug hadn't been often enough.

Hard to grade Bailey on so few reps. He probably didn't get many this week in practice.

I think this game again points to something I've harped on..Execution vs play calling.

Doug and Bailey both hit open guys and had drops. Bailey missed a few open guys. The calls were obviously right in all those situations but there was a lack of execution at some level.

Where I would point to play calling or possible poor preparation, there were a number of plays where Reno brought a blitz and guys went untouched to the QB. Not sure if O-LINE or QBs failed to check out of a play or change blocking scheme or simply didn't recognize the look defense was giving them. That could fall on coaching.

I think it will be a wide open QB competition as you said and it should be.
As you said you can't tell for sure who is to blame though my guess is Bailey failed to check out as there were a few times plays were designed to counter the blitz and executed properly, he probably missed it due to lack of practice reps. Where I blame play calling was that last possession with 3 minutes left. Three duplicate running plays as if there was a minute left and they just needed to run out the clock. No real attempt at the first down. As if he was worried about giving them one timeout which was meaningless with the amount of time left on the clock. Get the first and the game is all but over.

As you said you can't tell for sure who is to blame though my guess is Bailey failed to check out as there were a few times plays were designed to counter the blitz and executed properly, he probably missed it due to lack of practice reps. Where I blame play calling was that last possession with 3 minutes left. Three duplicate running plays as if there was a minute left and they just needed to run out the clock. No real attempt at the first down. As if he was worried about giving them one timeout which was meaningless with the amount of time left on the clock. Get the first and the game is all but over.

Good catch on play calls last series.

I guess my argument (devils advocate) would be, didn't want incomplete passes stopping clock. Felt like they should be able to run the ball against that defense. (Which they should).

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Good catch on play calls last series.

I guess my argument (devils advocate) would be, didn't want incomplete passes stopping clock. Felt like they should be able to run the ball against that defense. (Which they should).
They should but they hadn’t done it all game long. It they had success I would understand it more. Plus they only needed to attempt one pass on third down really and the extra TO was meaningless they had plenty of time without it.

I think if DougieB comes back, it's his job to lose.

I was hopeful for Friel's upside, but he looked much worse this year with a better OLine, run game, and WR. He looks more like a career backup at this point.

Bailey I think has some upside, and some of those reads will get better with reps--as will the timeing on throwing the deep balls. The last few games DougieB was either passing on those or missing them badly. Bailey has the arm talent, but can he develop the accuracy. He needs to be able to rip through progressions much faster without Brumfield's scrambling ability.

We will also add Jayden Maiava who has been in the room for a year now.

This is the most talented on paper QB room we've ever had at UNLV. We've had better 1s (Jason Thomas, Sam King, Randall Cunningham, etc), if we can't develop any of them to take the reigns next year we'll be in a bad enough coaching position that I don't think a transfer portal guy who has to learn the system will do us much more good. Arroyo said he could develop QBs, well now his job will likely depend on it.

They should but they hadn’t done it all game long. It they had success I would understand it more. Plus they only needed to attempt one pass on third down really and the extra TO was meaningless they had plenty of time without it.

I'm ok with the three runs, would have liked them to mix in a jet sweep with Reece maybe bubble screen to Ricky White.

Rebs didn't run ball well early a little better late. Reno was awful at stopping the run all year.

Maybe Arroyo afraid to put the ball in air in that situation?

Not saying you, but let's say they threw on first down and it was incomplete, I would imagine the boards would be raning about how that was a stupid play call and saved Reno time..

I think if DougieB comes back, it's his job to lose.

I was hopeful for Friel's upside, but he looked much worse this year with a better OLine, run game, and WR. He looks more like a career backup at this point.

Bailey I think has some upside, and some of those reads will get better with reps--as will the timeing on throwing the deep balls. The last few games DougieB was either passing on those or missing them badly. Bailey has the arm talent, but can he develop the accuracy. He needs to be able to rip through progressions much faster without Brumfield's scrambling ability.

We will also add Jayden Maiava who has been in the room for a year now.

This is the most talented on paper QB room we've ever had at UNLV. We've had better 1s (Jason Thomas, Sam King, Randall Cunningham, etc), if we can't develop any of them to take the reigns next year we'll be in a bad enough coaching position that I don't think a transfer portal guy who has to learn the system will do us much more good. Arroyo said he could develop QBs, well now his job will likely depend on it.

Doug likely back. Bailey back. I think Friel enters portal.

Doug has a lot of potential, but the injuries are problematic.

Reactions: reagan21
I'm ok with the three runs, would have liked them to mix in a jet sweep with Reece maybe bubble screen to Ricky White.

Rebs didn't run ball well early a little better late. Reno was awful at stopping the run all year.

Maybe Arroyo afraid to put the ball in air in that situation?

Not saying you, but let's say they threw on first down and it was incomplete, I would imagine the boards would be raning about how that was a stupid play call and saved Reno time..
I don't think they should have passed on first or second but should have on third. I don't think anyone would have complained at that point because they didn't even need the TO to drive down the field. They had 2-3 long runs but those were good moves as the blocking wasn't even there on those. I believe it was the longest run they had 1-2 linemen in the backfield who overpursued but it wasn't because the Oline created good running lanes.

I don't think they should have passed on first or second but should have on third. I don't think anyone would have complained at that point because they didn't even need the TO to drive down the field. They had 2-3 long runs but those were good moves as the blocking wasn't even there on those. I believe it was the longest run they had 1-2 linemen in the backfield who overpursued but it wasn't because the Oline created good running lanes.

Fair.

Bailey is an air head. Can't see sh!t from the left side...doesnt feel anything. Let's hope somebody else is better.

I was hoping it was just one of those things last year when it first happened … but it’s been non stop. I’d say it’s not fluke, he’s injury prone.

Some guys just are.

Not suggesting this is the case with Doug. So nobody freak out.

With football all guys are playing hurt to varying degrees. Nobody should play injured obviously some guys are less willing to play hurt.

As for Doug...Injuries are a funny thing. A lott of it is luck, some of it anatomy.

Hines Ward suffered an injury as a child. He basically played his entire football career without an ACL. Anatomy.

You see guys take vicious hits, jump right up. Other times dudes get injured without there being any contact. Luck.

In Doug's case I think there's been some bad luck coupled with him being a tall lean guy playing a physical sport.

Its unfortunate, I think he has a lot of potential, but his growth keeps getting stalled by injury.

What makes that hard on coaches, is that his legs keep defenses honest, but staff is reluctant to call a many designed runs to take advantage of it. That hurts play calling to some degree.

I think the QB battle in Spring will be hotly contested.

Reactions: Boston Rebel 2
Some guys just are.

Not suggesting this is the case with Doug. So nobody freak out.

With football all guys are playing hurt to varying degrees. Nobody should play injured obviously some guys are less willing to play hurt.

As for Doug...Injuries are a funny thing. A lott of it is luck, some of it anatomy.

Hines Ward suffered an injury as a child. He basically played his entire football career without an ACL. Anatomy.

You see guys take vicious hits, jump right up. Other times dudes get injured without there being any contact. Luck.

In Doug's case I think there's been some bad luck coupled with him being a tall lean guy playing a physical sport.

Its unfortunate, I think he has a lot of potential, but his growth keeps getting stalled by injury.

What makes that hard on coaches, is that his legs keep defenses honest, but staff is reluctant to call a many designed runs to take advantage of it. That hurts play calling to some degree.

I think the QB battle in Spring will be hotly contested.
I think it’s the tall/lean thing. He’s like Gumby out there and he has stick legs.

Cunningham was built similarly and he didn't have a lot of injuries.

But you could be right, in this scenario, with this player it's the biggest factor.
I thought the same thing when I typed it. Exact same body type. And we know over his career, Randall took more severe hits and ran more … maybe he had some significant injuries in his career? I don’t recall.

I thought the same thing when I typed it. Exact same body type. And we know over his career, Randall took more severe hits and ran more … maybe he had some significant injuries in his career? I don’t recall.

I don't remember any major ones for Randall. Maybe in the NFL.

like I said injuries are quirky.

Luck, anatomy, willingness to play when hurt (not injured) all play into a guy being 'injury prone'.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I don't remember any major ones for Randall. Maybe in the NFL.

like I said injuries are quirky.

Luck, anatomy, willingness to play when hurt (not injured) all play into a guy being 'injury prone'.
Randall had major injuries. The Vet ruined his career. That and Buddy Ryan thinking the Eagles could win with just the 4-6 defense and never got anyone for Randall to throw to or run the ball. Just an over the hill Byars and coke fiend Chris Carter. What could have been if Carter was sober and the ownership actually gave #12 some options.

Randall had major injuries. The Vet ruined his career. That and Buddy Ryan thinking the Eagles could win with just the 4-6 defense and never got anyone for Randall to throw to or run the ball. Just an over the hill Byars and coke fiend Chris Carter. What could have been if Carter was sober and the ownership actually gave #12 some options.

You would know better as an Eagles fan.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I think it’s the tall/lean thing. He’s like Gumby out there and he has stick legs.
Which is why I was surprised Reno had their praying mantis of a QB go with so many designed runs. Has he been as injured as Brumfeld? Because he is somehow even skinnier.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT