ADVERTISEMENT

Stanton vs Rogers

UNLVWINS

Lottery Pick
May 14, 2005
Who do you guys think will get the nod this week? It could be a high scoring game with the Rainbows.

Sanchez has shade if he starts Stanton. He played well last week and probably deserves the start just based on that. If it doesn't go well he can bring in Rogers with no harm and no foul. He can claim he didn't want to unnecessarily risk further injury to him. On the flip side if he starts Rogers and we lose he will be perceived as.............you name it!

It was my untrained observation that Stanton should have won the starting job in the spring. Thought he was by far the best QB there. I still think he is even though Rogers may have more upside should he learn to throw the touch passes and settle down in the pocket and make better decisions.

Reactions: willlevi
Senior Stanton should start and the
hotshot freshman quarterback can
back him up and learn from him the last four games...

Reactions: johncnlv
Stanton showed to be the better game manager that can make the team more competitive.
Rogers is averaging 152 passing yards per game and has nearly taken the receiving corps out of the equation.
My hope is that Stanton is given the opportunity get the team to a bowl game which would be huge.

Reactions: BornRebelRed
This ought to be a no brainer. Stanton has earned the chance to start this coming Saturday. Any other decision is crazy.

If Stanton sputters, Rogers in the second half. Go rebels.

Reactions: johncnlv
Rogers can't practice until Thursday. IMO no way can he start. Stanton has experience and makes better reads than Rogers right now. Against Hawaii Stanton has to get the go. Against BYU is a different story. Rogers is a superior runner and that dimension will be needed against BYU.

Reactions: wattjose
Rogers isn't practicing so it's a no brainer for the next two weeks. If I am Sanchez, I say, "we want Rogers to have a complete week with the first team and experience some contact before we put him out there again". CTS saves any embarrassment the freshman might feel for "losing" his job while rewarding Stanton his management of the Fresno game. However, there is no doubt that Rogers is the future for this team.

Because Rogers isn't practicing yet Stanton this week and let's see how he does. As far as Stanton for the rest of the year I think it needs to be a week to week call. While I have when teams rotate 2 quarterbacks throughout games to finish this season off that might be the best senario

Did a previous thread talking about this get deleted?

Just curious on Rogers practice time. It sounded like he was a pretty late scrap for the game. I'm surprised he isn't practicing yet.

If Rogers can't practice, stick with Johnny, if they can both prepare all week, then it becomes a tougher choice.

I wasn't able to watch the game this week, but Stanton is getting a ton of credit for time of possession. Now He deserves all the credit in the world for sustaining drives and converting consistently on 3rd down and 4th down if he was indeed able to do so.

But it also sounded like they were purposefully slowing the tempo, especially since we had been going pretty much no huddle the past few weeks. Now that is a couch based decision, not a player based decision.

Just curious on Rogers practice time. It sounded like he was a pretty late scrap for the game. I'm surprised he isn't practicing yet.

If Rogers can't practice, stick with Johnny, if they can both prepare all week, then it becomes a tougher choice.

I wasn't able to watch the game this week, but Stanton is getting a ton of credit for time of possession. Now He deserves all the credit in the world for sustaining drives and converting consistently on 3rd down and 4th down if he was indeed able to do so.

But it also sounded like they were purposefully slowing the tempo, especially since we had been going pretty much no huddle the past few weeks. Now that is a couch based decision, not a player based decision.

Rogers was never going to play against Fresno. His concussion protocol doesn't even clear him to practice until Thursday this week.

Rogers was never going to play against Fresno. His concussion protocol doesn't even clear him to practice until Thursday this week.

The traditional concussion program is a 6 step process. If you can do a particular activity symptom-free, you can progress to the next step the next day. That's why players can be cleared in a week.

Armani was a possible starter up until at least Thursday, which means he cleared probably at least 4 steps of the process.

Grimala did tweet the day of the game that Rogers wasn't warming up, as if as the beat writer, he thought he was at least a possibility for Saturday's game.

I don't see how he is automatically out until Thursday, unless he had a setback (which is more than possible). Where did you hear Thursday?

Doesn't add up to me. Unless there was a significant setback

Last edited:
The traditional concussion program is a 6 step process. If you can do a particular activity symptom-free, you can progress to the next step the next day. That's why players can be cleared in a week.

Armani was a possible starter up until at least Thursday, which means he cleared probably at least 4 steps of the process.

Grimala did tweet the day of the game that Rogers wasn't warming up, as if as the beat writer, he thought he was at least a possibility for Saturday's game.

I don't see how he is automatically out until Thursday, unless he had a setback (which is more than possible). Where did you hear Thursday?

Doesn't add up to me. Unless there was a significant setback

No it doesn't. Just because Sanchez lists him as such or tells a reporter that doesn't mean it is true. If you can force the team you're playing to prepare for a different qb you do it. He is under no rule to disclose injuries. Coaches lie about injuries and depth charts all the time at every school.

I stand by what I wrote 100 percent.

No it doesn't. Just because Sanchez lists him as such or tells a reporter that doesn't mean it is true. If you can force the team you're playing to prepare for a different qb you do it. He is under no rule to disclose injuries. Coaches lie about injuries and depth charts all the time at every school.

I stand by what I wrote 100 percent.

I get that. Sanchez could have just been playing games with the media to throw FSU off. I just don't get where you are getting Thursday from?

The only thing that makes since to me, is as of last Thursday, Rogers hasn't past the first step yet.

Maybe you have inside info. That's cool. I'm just saying it doesn't add up from the outside looking in.

Looking forward to getting out there a little early with BornRebelRed and Sammy D and have a few brat dogs, chicken wings and whatever else is there, shoot the shit a little and then go in and watch Stanton & Co. take the Rainbows apart.

Reactions: RebelinWA

This was one of my thoughts coming away from the game as well. All credit in the world to Stanton because that guy does whatever he can to help the team and get on the field.

I feel that we're stuck somewhere between trying to be a ball-control offense and trying to be an explosive, up and down the field, quick scoring offense. The game plan against Fresno with Stanton seemed very different to me than what we've been doing, and in reality, with how suspect our defense is, running the ball and bleeding the clock seems to be our best chance for success.

Again, Stanton executed the game plan perfectly and if Armani hasn't gotten a whole week of practice under his belt, he should probably sit again, but I don't know that we sit a fully healthy Armani. At the same time, if we go back to Armani and he struggles to the point that he needs to be pulled for Stanton, that could do more harm than good.

It's definitely a tough decision for Sanchez and co.

Again, Stanton executed the game plan perfectly and if Armani hasn't gotten a whole week of practice under his belt, he should probably sit again, but I don't know that we sit a fully healthy Armani. At the same time, if we go back to Armani and he struggles to the point that he needs to be pulled for Stanton, that could do more harm than good.

It's definitely a tough decision for Sanchez and co.

You just explained why it is a no brainer to start Stanton. Not a tough decision at all. The only part that is tough is explaining it to Armani.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Looking forward to getting out there a little early with BornRebelRed and Sammy D and have a few brat dogs, chicken wings and whatever else is there, shoot the shit a little and then go in and watch Stanton & Co. take the Rainbows apart.
See you there

Reactions: bcvegaspt
One of the tougher calls CTS has has to make in a while.
Funny to see this now after the performance each guy put on. I think Joe said it in a different thread, hopefully Stanton getting the call doesn't hurt Armani's psyche... but at this point putting Armani in, regardless of how good he looks in practice, just makes the staff look incompetent. You can't make a mistake that big...

Was having an email conversation with Bull Mastiff today. We were at virtually every spring practice and he felt that Stanton was every bit as good as Rogers and I felt that Stanton had clearly won the job. But he brought up Grimala, Bischoff & Graney that we never saw at a practice, (no show pundits) telling everybody that Armani was the savior of UNLV football without ever seeing him play.

That said I understand why Sanchez started Armani. He has improved by leaps and bounds since he arrived on campus and with a little more work he is gonna be one helluva QB for us if that new kid coming in doesn't beat him out next year.

It's a good problem to have.

Armani is quite there yet with seeing the field/defense. He's very patient in the pocket for a young athletic QB, much more that Palendech for instance, but not as good as Stanton.

He can throw it in tight windows, and probably is more accurate than Stanton. Definitely a better runner with more explosive ability there.

Stanton seems to be more reliable on 3rd down. Is a pretty good runner himself, both are instinctive, not as quick as Armani. You do feel more comfortable on 3rd and 4th downs with Johnny over Armani.

It really is a tough call.

Another thing, the run offense probably is better with Armani due to his threat with the read option. I think it opens up more running lanes up the middle. We couldn't get up the middle that great against UH, and did't get that much on the edge.

I say Start Stanton, but give Armani some series. The coaching staff has done this a bunch in the past. 95% of the time I don't like it, but I don't mind it here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT