ADVERTISEMENT

Staff

saulpaul21

UNLV Hall of Fame
Apr 18, 2006
From coachingchanges so take with a grain of salt:

We are told (as unbelievable as it sounds) that Barret Peery kissed Dusty Womble’s ass so incredibly well during his one year in Lubbock that he is a serious candidate to replace Mark Adams as the Texas Tech head coach.

Slick Rick to Unlv-Source Self
26294582-e92f-46cf-a330-0395314c4778_text.gif

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I think if Kevin is not being kept we will know by Sunday. If being fired they won't wait long. But I also don't expect Harp to come out and say he is keeping Kevin. If he is staying I just expect not to hear anything and come Monday morning I figure he will be the coach next season.

I think if Kevin is not being kept we will know by Sunday. If being fired they won't wait long. But I also don't expect Harp to come out and say he is keeping Kevin. If he is staying I just expect not to hear anything and come Monday morning I figure he will be the coach next season.
Was mentioned on local espn radio this morning.... they are currently paying Odom, Kruger, and 75% of Arroyo salary.

Can they afford to pay 75% or Kruger salary (same basic contract ad Arroyo from DRF) and a new hoops coach?

Was mentioned on local espn radio this morning.... they are currently paying Odom, Kruger, and 75% of Arroyo salary.

Can they afford to pay 75% or Kruger salary (same basic contract ad Arroyo from DRF) and a new hoops coach?
Not like Kruger's salary is particularly large

Didn’t Arroyo get a job? If he did, are we still on the hook?
He did not, not that I've heard or been able to find.

Contract apparently is lined up such that we pay 75% of the monthly salary through the term of the contract... unless he takes a job. If he becomes a bigger as smiths or a CEO or an offensive analyst or anything else that qualifies officially as employment or contract work, we are off the hook

After reading Graney's article this morning it seems highly unlikely that CKK wont be here next year. The quotes attributed to Harp are very telling.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
On the staff, I hope there is no shakeup. I think the staff is fine and needs a chance to finish. Assuming we hold on to both Hicks and Whaley I think we have a solid starting point with recruiting before even looking at the portal. The one recurring concern is point and I am not sure they were even looking until the last few weeks so that is the biggest concern at the moment. Honestly the best possible solution would be DT reclassifying and joint next year.

Even though I am frustrated with how pour we did in conference play, and how horrible the ooc scheduling was this year, I don't think you fire a coach after year 2.
But Kevin has to make some big changes to be any better next year. Obviously the post needs major upgrade. Hopefully Cotrell comes back healthy and plays up to expectations but Kevin needs to add at least one more big. We need offense (understatement) a couple three point threats and somebody that can drive and actually hit shots. I am not sure how good the two commits we have coming in are but hopefully they can bring something to the table.
We need to retain a few players, replacing 8-10 schollies just does not work. Nowell, Hall, Gilbert, Cottrell, Webster, Rod love them or hate them all would be good to keep. JJ, IWUAKOR and Muoka would have to accept their roles on the bench. But I think we need 3-4 players that can come in and make an immediate difference so a couple players are going too have to leave for that to happen.
Over the next 6-8 weeks it will be real interesting to see how our beloved Rebels team shapes up.

Did you read the article? Just curious. One of the quotes is "i like how hard we play, how they respond to Kevin. I like the direction."
No. Haven’t read the RJ in years. And I have to be reminded from time to time that Graney exists.

Media is just doing their job, but I don’t trust many quotes for being real nowadays. They know their PC answer before a question is even lobbed. And I don’t really put a ton of stock into polished answers, coachspeak, etc. They’re just deeply protected ramblings. I understand why people give those answers or feel like they have to give those types of answers. Further, you didn’t need a microscope to see some player/staff disengagement on the bench and in huddles.

That quote you showed tells me one of two things. He’s ignorant, because the direction isn’t good and they play hard only sporadically. Any objective person can see that. Let’s keep that part real. You don’t lose 8 games at home and win 9 of your last 22 directions without any establishment of an identity along the way and call it the right direction (don’t get me wrong, it CAN be corrected, but with where we are at and the direction we are pointed, you can’t polish it, even though he tried. Still, some will buy it because questioning things makes you a bad person in society).

Or it shows me that he’s doing the ultimate PC thing and hiding true thoughts.

On the staff, I hope there is no shakeup. I think the staff is fine and needs a chance to finish. Assuming we hold on to both Hicks and Whaley I think we have a solid starting point with recruiting before even looking at the portal. The one recurring concern is point and I am not sure they were even looking until the last few weeks so that is the biggest concern at the moment. Honestly the best possible solution would be DT reclassifying and joint next year.
Hicks is more two than one, not saying he can’t play one and that he can’t play it from the start. But even a true point that was very good, like Nigel Goss, wasn’t going to start as a freshman under Rice nor Kruger (Marshall as a Sr). So pushing a freshman into a savior … eh …. The good thing for him is we aren’t loaded so he should get ample time and that will force his overall growth more quickly with that experience. However, that forced overall growth can crush some too (see Gilbert) and I don’t know that kids mental makeup. But expecting so much for a frosh ….

I am concerned about Whaley’s conditioning and motor from non-Rebel centric people that I’ve spoken with. At the same time, I was concerned with that about Hall and he showed that to be real … but he also showed he had value anyway. I think if that kid is amenable to coaching, he could be a really good player in this league. Unfortunately, not sure how open he is to that.

Hicks is more two than one, not saying he can’t play one and that he can’t play it from the start. But even a true point that was very good, like Nigel Goss, wasn’t going to start as a freshman under Rice nor Kruger (Marshall as a Sr). So pushing a freshman into a savior … eh …. The good thing for him is we aren’t loaded so he should get ample time and that will force his overall growth more quickly with that experience. However, that forced overall growth can crush some too (see Gilbert) and I don’t know that kids mental makeup. But expecting so much for a frosh ….

I am concerned about Whaley’s conditioning and motor from non-Rebel centric people that I’ve spoken with. At the same time, I was concerned with that about Hall and he showed that to be real … but he also showed he had value anyway. I think if that kid is amenable to coaching, he could be a really good player in this league. Unfortunately, not sure how open he is to that.
But we aren’t at the point where we are going to get anything close to a polished product. We aren’t getting multidimensional players whose only real need for improvement is time and experience. We aren’t getting Wink Adams types that are ready to contribute in both sides of the floor as a freshman. So we have to hope that there is good matching up of complimentary pieces which is very challenging, a challenge we failed this season. At this point, just gotta hope.

IMO KK's first three additions need to be a serviceable to good point, a very good big, and a scorer. (Not easy to do)

IMO KK's first three additions need to be a serviceable to good point, a very good big, and a scorer. (Not easy to do)
Not easy at all.

Especially when you don’t have quite as much time as you’d like to assess the real “why’s” as to the reasoning behind them leaving their former team. If it’s to shine with their time on an individual basis and you just happen to have ample room, not always the best thing. Inviting hero ball attitudes isn’t usually a good thing. Unless they have game. And if they have that game, they’re going to the league or they’re getting that time where they are at because they are good enough.

This is what they are paid to do, some are better than others but for Kevin’s sake let’s hope he and the staff become great at this in the off season or the Kruger era will come to an end, deservingly so!

I have to think Kevin learned from his recruiting this past season. And that small ball with no offense just isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I have to think Kevin learned from his recruiting this past season. And that small ball with no offense just isn't going to cut it.
Umm... his Dad pretty much ran the exact same way here so I don't know if you can unlearn a roster style after 1 season... or do we all forget how Darger was supposed to be the 5 at like 6-8...

On anything Graney writes... guy has proven over years that he has 0 interest in a good UNLV. Anything positive he writes has to be viewed with that in mind. If he says everything is hunky dory from AD down to coach and players then I have to believe there's a change coming and he's just prepping the "What a cluster of a program" articles to come...

Umm... his Dad pretty much ran the exact same way here so I don't know if you can unlearn a roster style after 1 season... or do we all forget how Darger was supposed to be the 5 at like 6-8...

On anything Graney writes... guy has proven over years that he has 0 interest in a good UNLV. Anything positive he writes has to be viewed with that in mind. If he says everything is hunky dory from AD down to coach and players then I have to believe there's a change coming and he's just prepping the "What a cluster of a program" articles to come...
If UNLV has the potential to be bad, Ed will butter it up. If UNLV has the potential to be good, he will take shots at them.

He’s an SDSU homer. If we suck, he wants it to continue.

Thomas is key to recruiting. Not big on JC kids or Whaley at all.
Hall to me is more MAC player, he needs to lose 25 pounds, his defense is non-existent.

Thomas is key to recruiting. Not big on JC kids or Whaley at all.
Hall to me is more MAC player, he needs to lose 25 pounds, his defense is non-existent.
I actually think Hall has a ton of potential. People are forgetting he is a true freshmen & the only freshmen on the team. If he matures, continues to lose weight at the same rate as he did this year and learns to be a more effective defender I think he can be very good in this league.

Hall showed great promise with his ball handling. If you look at his HS film he would regularly dribble through two and sometimes three defenders and get to the hole. But he tried the same stuff in every Rebel game he played - it never got too much better. He needs to pass out of the double or triple team. Once he got the ball on the baseline he was going to the basket no matter what. He'd be so much more effective if he passed out of that drive to a cutter. But once he got the ball - he was going to shoot. He had half a year to figure it out and he didn't.

Hall showed great promise with his ball handling. If you look at his HS film he would regularly dribble through two and sometimes three defenders and get to the hole. But he tried the same stuff in every Rebel game he played - it never got too much better. He needs to pass out of the double or triple team. Once he got the ball on the baseline he was going to the basket no matter what. He'd be so much more effective if he passed out of that drive to a cutter. But once he got the ball - he was going to shoot. He had half a year to figure it out and he didn't.
Pass to a cutter? What's that said one who watched nearly every game last year. We ran a weave going nowhere or a high pick and roll which resulted in a guard going one on two as the roll guys were not weapons at all. Hall did shoot most times he touched it, but he still got better shots than most of our team.

On Hall the scouting reports coming out of hs noted that he was a willing passer with good court vision. Also, he stated that when he enrolled he weighed in at around 284lbs. Now he is around 246lbs and his goal when summer workouts start is to get down to 230lbs. Hall will deserve a lot of credit for the work needed to lose 50lbs plus. IMO at 225-230lbs he will much improved player and with his skill set tough to handle.

Last edited:
On Hall the scouting reports coming out of hs noted that he was a willing passer with good court vision. Also, he stated that when he enrolled he weighed in at around 284lbs. Now he is around 246lbs and his goal when summer workouts start is to get down to 230lbs. Hall will deserve a lot of credit for the work needed to lose 50lbs plus. IMO at 225-230lbs he will much improved player and with his skill set tough to handle.
I agree with that. More than anyone else currently on the roster, I think he’s the one that can become the most unique and impactful. He’s got a way to go, but he’s got things to work with.

If UNLV has the potential to be bad, Ed will butter it up. If UNLV has the potential to be good, he will take shots at them.

He’s an SDSU homer. If we suck, he wants it to continue.
He has rubbed in how SDSU has just completely dominated the MW - head and shoulders the best program in the league the last 20 years- & Its the truth - he isn't selling out to the die hards who are totally not in touch with reality - He tells a story that isn't hunky dory about UNLV - he could be worse - he could tell the total truth how the program is a total dumpster fire and has been the for EV -ER - its laughable - Ed's the bad guy right ? Dont kill the messenger

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT