ADVERTISEMENT

Some Madness during March

TarkisGod

Lottery Pick
Dec 17, 2005
I’m well-aware that this is getting waaay ahead of ourselves, but our season is mercifully over, so why not engage in some idle thoughts?

I was just musing about Marvin Menzies. Let’s suppose, because it’s what we’re all hoping for, that he turns the Rebel program completely around. We go back to winning 20+ games per year, we grab the league title and the tournament crown, as well. We win some NCAA tournament games, perhaps advancing to the Sweet 16, or even the Elite Eight.

What happens next? The P5 schools come calling. So, I’m wondering just how deep his loyalty might run. We can’t ignore the somewhat humiliating wringer that UNLV put him through. Publicly outing him as a third-choice who only got the call because both preferred candidates reneged. Not exactly a ticker-tape parade, is it? However, he was the ultimate hire. He has publicly and frequently professed a love for the school and the community. He impresses me as a straight-shooter, and our guest on the board from Los Alamos has reinforced that estimate. So he might be reluctant to go back on his word so quickly. But money is always a consideration.

Another factor to consider is his age. He’s currently 55. One must assume that it will take at least three or four seasons before his influence on the team could produce the kind of results that we’re discussing. Enough time for the universities with extra-large moneybags to take notice of the nice guy at that school that used to be very good, out in the middle of the desert.

Would they be inclined to hire a man closing-in on 60? I’m not sure about that. My guess would be that they’d be more interested in a "young gun”, who might be someone that could be their leader for decades to come. So, this might be a moot argument. We might have MM’s loyalty for as long as we want it. I’m hoping it will become a relatively long time, as that will indicate success.

So, as I watch other schools making history (nice win, Northwestern!), these are the thoughts that drift through my consciousness. Feel free to ignore me…

bachelor-party-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

Reactions: bcvegaspt
The way he was screwed around in the sh*tty hiring process,I think he takes the job very quickly.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT