ADVERTISEMENT

Sneed??...

RedCannon

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2006
Austin, TX
I'm serious - From everything I heard in the practices and fall camp was that he fit what coach was looking for. A game manager - the short passes to get to your playmakers. After seeing our running game this year I couldn't agree with this more - just manage the offense and don't put the ball at risk! I thought Sneed fit all of that from the snaps he was given, but those of you that were there could fill me in more. I want to trust the coaches are making the best choice to win games, but I really hope pride is not getting in the way. If you say you want a game manager... and Sneed has shown he's the best game manager out of the current three QB's then what's stopping you?? - Pride, perception, recruiting connections...?

Anyone know if the other QBs are getting more snaps this week?... as the week progresses.

Reactions: mvvsmith
I found this picture interesting:

I know it's just ONE picture, but those are certainly starting skill players, running against a scout defense being shown a play on paper. I wish I could see the QB's entire face, but this doesn't look like Johnny to me.

I'm serious - From everything I heard in the practices and fall camp was that he fit what coach was looking for. A game manager - the short passes to get to your playmakers. After seeing our running game this year I couldn't agree with this more - just manage the offense and don't put the ball at risk! I thought Sneed fit all of that from the snaps he was given, but those of you that were there could fill me in more. I want to trust the coaches are making the best choice to win games, but I really hope pride is not getting in the way. If you say you want a game manager... and Sneed has shown he's the best game manager out of the current three QB's then what's stopping you?? - Pride, perception, recruiting connections...?

Anyone know if the other QBs are getting more snaps this week?... as the week progresses.

Don't know.

The biggest issues for Sneed are...

Size..
Delivery- He is pretty accurate and puts nice touch on the ball. Downside he does have a little hitch in his delivery. Nothing major, but I felt like he was a little slow getting the ball out.

He is mobile/fast enough to make plays with his feet, but lacks Palandech's straight line speed and Stanton's size and ability to sell the read option.

If he was 6'3 - 6'4 220lbs he is probably the guy.

I know there have been 'smallish' QBs that have flourished in college football. Just not sure Sneed excells enough in any one area to succeed.

If Stanton continues to struggle we may find out sooner vs later.

Last edited:

I know it's just ONE picture, but those are certainly starting skill players, running against a scout defense being shown a play on paper. I wish I could see the QB's entire face, but this doesn't look like Johnny to me.

Look at you going all Oliver Stone JFK Zapruder films conspiracy theory!

(Joking)

Actually that is interesting, and I believe that is Dalton Sneed.

... that is interesting - good eye. I understand that Sneed is not off the charts in some of the other areas, but a number of the big plays are YAC, our run game, and an occasional scramble, which he can do. The turnover margin just seems to be best with him behind center, but again, I'm sure the coaches are weighing all of this... and more. Plus, great experience if he ends up being behind Rogers down the road. Hey, "at the end of the day" I just want this team to get a conference win this weekend! - whoever/however.

Last edited:
Without going back and watching film, let me try and think of all the good/great plays Stanton has been a part of this season:

Idaho State:
- 1st TD pass to Boyd: crossing route over the middle.
- 2nd TD pass to Boyd: option right, pulled up, short pass to Boyd.
- 3rd TD pass to Boyd: read blitz, changed play, hit Boyd down sideline in single coverage.

UCLA:
- TD to Stevenson over the middle just before halftime.
- Ran option with Lex several times for big gains.
- QB keeper TD run to cut lead to 7 in 3rd quarter.

CMU:
- Back shoulder throw to Woods Jr. for a TD in front corner of endzone.

Idaho:
- Racked up 100 yards rushing.

I've probably missed some things, but that list is not very long for being four games into the season. Especially when you consider that he has a long list of interceptions and missed receivers so far to offset the good things. Makes you think that someone else could easily step in and give you equal or better performance.

Sneed's size shouldn't be an issue considering Stanton's size hasn't kept him from getting many of his passes intercepted AND knocked down at the line of scrimmage

Don't blame the QB.

We are right about the middle of the pack - Nationally - for scoring offense. That shopuld be good enough to win 4-5 games.

But...we are near bottom dwellers in pass defense. Our lack of pass defense is killing us. We hover around 100th in sacks, passing yards against, and defensive interceptions.

Our quarterback isn't the issue. ( unless we have a Johnny Manziel or clone in the wings who is capable of taking over a ball game and putting up 40 + pts regularly) No matter which one of these guys you put in, our defense will make it very hard to win.

Stanton couldn't make it at Nebraska & Palandech had most of last year to show us what he could do. Unfortunately to this point neither seems to be the answer.

I am going to take my basic basketball stance here. If I am playing a guard I expect him to be able to score points. If he can't score he's not going to play for me. There may be situations where I need a defender in the game but for the most part my guards and wing men have to be able to score.

QB's are supposed to be able to pass the ball with consistency. Neither Palandech or Stanton seem to have that basic skill set. Therefore they would not be qualified to play QB for me. Why on earth does a coach want a QB that can't pass? Even Air Force's QB's seem to be able to pass better than us.

Stanton could make one helluva OLB or FB. Palandech might be a good receiver. But how can someone be considered for QB if they can't pass the ball? That's what QB's do. They pass the ball. It's unique to their position. I want to see someone pass the damn ball. Is that too much to ask?

Sneed looks like a QB. He passes the ball. That's what he likes to do. Give him a shot coach. If that doesn't work find somebody that can pass the damn ball. That's what QB's are supposed to do. Anybody can take a snap and hand the ball off. We need somebody that can pass the damn ball. That's what QB's are supposed to do!

Aren't Sneed and Palandech nearly the same size? No issue with Pally running it...

No..

They may be listed at same or close, but Palandech looks bigger in person.

I like Sneed, was shocked he was running in 3rd during camp.

He did a lot of good things out there.

Just giving insight on why he isn't getting more run...

Don't blame the QB.

We are right about the middle of the pack - Nationally - for scoring offense. That shopuld be good enough to win 4-5 games.

But...we are near bottom dwellers in pass defense. Our lack of pass defense is killing us. We hover around 100th in sacks, passing yards against, and defensive interceptions.

Our quarterback isn't the issue. ( unless we have a Johnny Manziel or clone in the wings who is capable of taking over a ball game and putting up 40 + pts regularly) No matter which one of these guys you put in, our defense will make it very hard to win.

Unfortunately, the QB has become an issue, which hopefully is resolved with finding a grove and comfort level... or new representation. When you force your D to be on the field more than they should your numbers are naturally going to look bad! Trust me - improvement on D is needed, but you can chalk up the losses to turnovers. I'm not going after the "holy child" of football (QB). I'd be saying the same thing about RB's if they turned over the ball this much.

No..

They may be listed at same or close, but Palandech looks bigger in person.

I like Sneed, was shocked he was running in 3rd during camp.

He did a lot of good things out there.

Just giving insight on why he isn't getting more run...

Is Sneed bigger than Lex? ... just saying... follow your blocks. Okay, that's a little off on comparison. HA! I cracked myself up, but seriously our line has done a great job and I would argue that Sneed could follow some big men in for a short yardage play. Didn't he do that in camp... or a scramble or two for TD... I thought.

Is Sneed bigger than Lex? ... just saying... follow your blocks. Okay, that's a little off on comparison. HA! I cracked myself up, but seriously our line has done a great job and I would argue that Sneed could follow some big men in for a short yardage play. Didn't he do that in camp... or a scramble or two for TD... I thought.

He is, but you don't want your QB taking that type of punishment.

I was impressed by what Sneed did in camp. I am just giving reasons why he might not be getting a real look.

Just some general thoughts.

Stanton has struggled. No question. He has made some bad decisions and misread many coverages. He struggles to hit guys on easier throws with crossing patterns, typically throwing too hard or behind the receiver.

But he has also made to very, very good throws. Back shoulder throws along the sideline and short out patterns which are higher level throws.

Stanton has the "arm talent" to make throws. His touch has been off. But he has shown to be much more of a capable passer than Palendech ever did. Kurt made more plays with his legs, but Stanton is a pretty good runner and quite the load.

Also it was mentioned on the broadcast that Stanton has a history of slow, rough starts, but then "clicking" and then tearing things up amid a QB controversy.

I think Stanton still might click, but its' tough when things are going bad. The offensive has more problems than just him. Receivers have dropped capable blocks, we struggle to create running lanes for our backs, play calling has been too vanilla, we never try to stretch the field when we have Boyd.

Sneed may be better. And maybe we should look at that option soon (maybe this week). But to me the offense still has potential to be pretty good if some (to me fixable things)get better. Alsos, our staff I think will always prefer a QB that is a solid running threat, like it or not.

Just some general thoughts.

Stanton has struggled. No question. He has made some bad decisions and misread many coverages. He struggles to hit guys on easier throws with crossing patterns, typically throwing too hard or behind the receiver.

But he has also made to very, very good throws. Back shoulder throws along the sideline and short out patterns which are higher level throws.

Stanton has the "arm talent" to make throws. His touch has been off. But he has shown to be much more of a capable passer than Palendech ever did. Kurt made more plays with his legs, but Stanton is a pretty good runner and quite the load.

Also it was mentioned on the broadcast that Stanton has a history of slow, rough starts, but then "clicking" and then tearing things up amid a QB controversy.

I think Stanton still might click, but its' tough when things are going bad. The offensive has more problems than just him. Receivers have dropped capable blocks, we struggle to create running lanes for our backs, play calling has been too vanilla, we never try to stretch the field when we have Boyd.

Sneed may be better. And maybe we should look at that option soon (maybe this week). But to me the offense still has potential to be pretty good if some (to me fixable things)get better. Alsos, our staff I think will always prefer a QB that is a solid running threat, like it or not.

Its funny with the run game. Our yards per carry is pretty high, but it feels like the run game hasn't clicked yet. Feels like a lot of feast or famine.

looks to me like defenses playing like when Palendech was in last yr. Focus on the run because you don't believe QB can consistently beat you with his arm

8th in yards but 39th in attempts. Seems like we should rush more.
No kidding. Everyone could see that. We had success in rushing against UCLA and CMU but they chose to pass? Especially against CMU....

We did not run the ball well against CMU. One big run really swayed the numbers.

CMU has one of the better run defenses in the country. Their pass defense had been suspect in comparison.

I think bull hit the nail on the head. We have not done well on first down. I'd be interested to see what our numbers are on first down in terms of average yardage. It seems like we've only had a couple drives all year where we were really in a flow and were able to play with tempo.

We did not run the ball well against CMU. One big run really swayed the numbers.

CMU has one of the better run defenses in the country. Their pass defense had been suspect in comparison.

I think bull hit the nail on the head. We have not done well on first down. I'd be interested to see what our numbers are on first down in terms of average yardage. It seems like we've only had a couple drives all year where we were really in a flow and were able to play with tempo.

Feels like we have been very reliant on the 'big' play.

You won't ever see me complain about a 50+ yard score. I would like to see some more 7-10 play drives though.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedCannon
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT