ADVERTISEMENT

small class?

Seems small, they could be saving a few spots for potential late qualifiers (like Carr and Holloway last year) or potential 5th year transfers.

We do have a young roster overall with a lot of RS Freshman, SO and RS SO coming up this spring.

Sanchez will be discussing the class at 1pm today so I am sure we will some clarity then as well regarding #'s.

Seems small, they could be saving a few spots for potential late qualifiers (like Carr and Holloway last year) or potential 5th year transfers.

We do have a young roster overall with a lot of RS Freshman, SO and RS SO coming up this spring.
Yup. Also keep in mind that we could land some JUCOs who are December grads who could "count back" to the 2017 Class. What I hope not to see, and it appears that we won't, is giving out too many "reach" scholies. Better to save the scholies for the next class than to do that.

Yup. Also keep in mind that we could land some JUCOs who are December grads who could "count back" to the 2017 Class. What I hope not to see, and it appears that we won't, is giving out too many "reach" scholies. Better to save the scholies for the next class than to do that.

This team needs bodies whether developmental or ready to play today.

Not to the point of handcuffing your next class and ruining recruiting relationships. Filling in spots with too many "reaches" will kill your future.

Then they can try and walk on. You don't hand out scholarships just to do it.

There are also potential 5th year guys out there and late qualifiers.

Vegas HS football has started to make a name for itself on a national stage. That doesn't however mean you give out scholarships 'just because'.

Seniors taking the field this fall: I only count 15 but please let me know who I missed. Matt Lea-LB (Graduated appears to be done) Henri Jussila (Graduated, done) , Christian Clapp-WR (Walk On-Graduated)

Evan Owens, Kenny Keys, Lantz Worthington RS (Still JR's) .

Mike Hughes-DT
Michael Chevalier-OL
Mark Finau-DE
Robert Jackson-CB
Aaron Borg- LB (Walk On)
Trevor Kanteman -TE
Brian Keyes- LB
Antonio Zepeda- DE
Kurt Palandech - QB
Johnny Stanton-QB
Devonte Boyd -WR
Jacob Becker- OL (Walk On)
Andrew Erbes - OL
Tim Holt- TE/H
J'Ondray Sanders -OL
Kyle Saxelid- OL
Cody Scherff- TE (Walk On)
Jason Fao- DL

With 21 scholarship seniors scheduled to take the field this year & 24 total, it will be nearly impossible to handcuff next years class.
I've seen it happen many times with better numbers than those. Each scholie for a building program like UNLV is very valuable for this class and next year's. They can't be wasted. It also has the ramifications on future recruiting that we need to avoid.

Then they can try and walk on. You don't hand out scholarships just to do it.

There are also potential 5th year guys out there and late qualifiers.

Vegas HS football has started to make a name for itself on a national stage. That doesn't however mean you give out scholarships 'just because'.

I don't think much has been left on the table locally and probably not nationally either. Less than a full class will leave the team hurting for depth in the fall considering usual attrition.
Lea is a big loss, I hoped he would be back.

We will miss Matt Lea experience the most but he only registered 4 TFL (1 Sack) in 3 years,

I think we will be able to replicate and surpass his production at the LB spot.

I don't think much has been left on the table locally and probably not nationally either. Less than a full class will leave the team hurting for depth in the fall considering usual attrition.
Lea is a big loss, I hoped he would be back.

Will-

They may not be done. There are still late qualifiers and 5th year guys available. Sanchez said in press conference that they had a plan for remaining scholarships.

As for Lea....I don't make it a habit of singling players out, but he did very little during his time here. 1 sack? 4 TFL? Over three years?

You mentioned last year we were slow footed at the linebacker spot. Lea was a prime example of that.

Stats don't always tell the whole truth, but they rarely lie..Lea was not an overly productive nor a particularly impactful player.

Will-

They may not be done. There are still late qualifiers and 5th year guys available. Sanchez said in press conference that they had a plan for remaining scholarships.

As for Lea....I don't make it a habit of singling players out, but he did very little during his time here. 1 sack? 4 TFL? Over three years?

You mentioned last year we were slow footed at the linebacker spot. Lea was a prime example of that.

Stats don't always tell the whole truth, but they rarely lie..Lea was not an overly productive nor a particularly impactful player.

He was a two year starter and the only linebacker on the roster with more than 15 tackles. On a defense that's not deep at safety as well, there's not a lot of production returning at the position at the second level.
He wasn't a game changer but he was a steady hand.

He was a two year starter and the only linebacker on the roster with more than 15 tackles. On a defense that's not deep at safety as well, there's not a lot of production returning at the position at the second level.
He wasn't a game changer but he was a steady hand.

If we can't replace his production we are in trouble...

He was started every game (16) that last two seasons the wasn't opened in the nickle defense, you would have to assume he was the best linebacker at his position on the team
Which, with no disrespect towards him, might be a significant reason why the defense was so poor.

Cameron Carr RS FRESHMAN and add in JUCO Jacob Rominger and I think this group is much more athletic overall.

Losing Tau hurts obviously but this group is much quicker/faster overall.

The returning scholarship players are:
ILB Brian Keyes 6'1 255 (Sr) 10 tackles
SLB Bailey Laolagi 6'1 210 (Jr) 15 tackles 1 tfl
WLB Gabe McCoy 6'1 210 (Soph) 9 tackles 1 sack
LB David Tate 6'2 220 (RFr)

Will-

Again, if they can't match his production we are recruiting the wrong guys.

Just this last year you were lamenting about how slow and un-athletic our LB corp was and now you are worrying about the loss of arguably the slowest one of the group...

Somebody remind me how this works.

Of course yesterday was national signing day. Is it like basketball and signify the beginning of signing period? Can we expect more commits over time (non-qualifiers, big school accepting more commits than they have, etc, still undecided guys) or is this pretty much what we will run with give or take a couple of guys?

They can still bring in as many guys as the scholarships available offer. Last year we brought in 2 guys late over the summer. There might also be a 5th year transfer or 2 in the works.

When Sanchez was questioned , if there was a plan for the remaining rides? He simply state "yes there is a plan".

Will-

Again, if they can't match his production we are recruiting the wrong guys.

Just this last year you were lamenting about how slow and un-athletic our LB corp was and now you are worrying about the loss of arguably the slowest one of the group...

Actually I lamented them being slow to clear blocks, don't recall a discussion on actual speed.
I'm noting that he earned the starting nod two years in a row as the third leading tackler among linebackers. Speed aside, losing an experienced starter is a loss.
An injury to McCoy, Laolagi or Keyes means you are starting a first year player.

Actually I lamented them being slow to clear blocks, don't recall a discussion on actual speed.
I'm noting that he earned the starting nod two years in a row as the third leading tackler among linebackers. Speed aside, losing an experienced starter is a loss.
An injury to McCoy, Laolagi or Keyes means you are starting a first year player.

Sometimes you have to start new guys.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT