ADVERTISEMENT

Signing day

He committed verbally as a junior and then moved to Las Vegas. Kept his commit. That gives us three D1 quarterbacks. Solid. Arroyo knows qb's. I see UW struggling to get players. Oft injured Indiana qb who is really good transferred to the Dawgs. We need the Pac10 to be good because they schedule a lot of MW games. Back to your point, kids go to other schools to get away from Mom and Dad and perhaps get a education at a more prestigious school. The lure of making new friends and living on your own are a big deal to an 18 year old.
Actually, he was the starter at Sierra Vista before moving to Hawaii for the Covid year.
I don't think UNLV would have offered if he were a Sierra Vista prospect versus being deemed a Hawaii.
There are several players UNLV should be targeting locally but it won't happen. UNLV just isn't a program that is willing to build with Nevada players.
Just imagine if California, Florida, Arizona, Texas, Michigan, Washington or any other school only offered instate talent based on them being offered by program outside the state. Those team dictate talent based on their personal regional evaluations instead of waiting for someone else to set the tone.

Even McKinney is a Texas prospect that played his senior season in Las Vegas.

I am not worried about the smallish early signing period class. One thing Arroyo has proven to do is recruit well, at least build classes that impress initially.
True 2 full unimpressive years can potentially limit his ability to recruit well, but I'm not banking on that just yet,

I reserve judgment for the late signing period.

There are several players UNLV should be targeting locally but it won't happen. UNLV just isn't a program that is willing to build with Nevada players.
UNLV has offered 14 Nevada players in the '22 class, one from Reno and 13 from Las Vegas.

Of the Rebels' 6 high school signees, 2 of them are from Las Vegas (although as you point out McKinney only played his senior season in LV).

It goes both ways. If you have high school players in Las Vegas list their three "dream schools" how often would UNLV be mentioned? If you went to Michigan and Texas and asked then you're going to hear in-state schools mentioned.

Reactions: NSU67
UNLV has offered 14 Nevada players in the '22 class, one from Reno and 13 from Las Vegas.

Of the Rebels' 6 high school signees, 2 of them are from Las Vegas (although as you point out McKinney only played his senior season in LV).

It goes both ways. If you have high school players in Las Vegas list their three "dream schools" how often would UNLV be mentioned? If you went to Michigan and Texas and asked then you're going to hear in-state schools mentioned.
That said, how many football players anywhere would list UNLV as their dream school.
With all the out of state kids brought in each Signings Day, the final two deep for the season featured 5 local walk-ons.

My advice to any kid is to take whatever scholarship option you have that will decrease the cost of attending school.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
That said, how many football players anywhere would list UNLV as their dream school.
With all the out of state kids brought in each Signings Day, the final two deep for the season featured 5 local walk-ons.

My advice to any kid is to take whatever scholarship option you have that will decrease the cost of attending school.
I don't think it needs to be a players "dream school" for the most party. A dream school would probably vary depending on what part of the country you're in, but when I was younger, it would probably have been schools like Notre Dame, Michigan, Miami, USC, even Nebraska. Now it's probably Alabama, Oregon, Ohio State, etc. There are only so many football scholarships to spread around at those places. So likely, you're not going to end up at your dream school.

It's more a matter of UNLV being considered a solid option. The facilities are great at this point, and the school has grown significantly and has some good programs. It should be a decent option, provided that we can get over the stigma and our history of being a bottom tier program. If we can get a good 3-4 year run of being over .500, it would do wonders.

I used to totally agree with you. But I'm no longer sure giving up 5 years of your life for an undergraduate degree is worth it, even with a scholarship. There definitely are degrees that are worth the effort and time but there are many more that aren't worth dirt. In general, unless we are talking about someone who is brilliant, I believe a young person( especially a young man) is better served taking that time and learning a trade.

I'm putting my grandchildren through their undergraduate studies, but they have to take a degree program that I approve. (so far accounting, pre-med or engineering) I believe they would be better off if I took that money and put it away so they could learn a trade and I would finance a business start. (their mothers won't hear of it though)

Two young people, 18, going different paths. One learns a trade and by 25 has been making good $$ for 7 years and be well on their way to being a master plumber or electrician. The other gets a degree in indigenous studies, or art history etc. etc. and at 25 has been working at Jack-in- box for two years looking for a job in their field.

Getting nearly any degree was a magic ticket in my day. But times have changed.

If a trade is your goal for a career, your argument holds water.
If your goal is what we used to call white-collar, foregoing college will eliminate you from most jobs.
The problem with educational requirements is much more the demands by employers for degrees for too many jobs.

I used to totally agree with you. But I'm no longer sure giving up 5 years of your life for an undergraduate degree is worth it, even with a scholarship. There definitely are degrees that are worth the effort and time but there are many more that aren't worth dirt. In general, unless we are talking about someone who is brilliant, I believe a young person( especially a young man) is better served taking that time and learning a trade.

I'm putting my grandchildren through their undergraduate studies, but they have to take a degree program that I approve. (so far accounting, pre-med or engineering) I believe they would be better off if I took that money and put it away so they could learn a trade and I would finance a business start. (their mothers won't hear of it though)

Two young people, 18, going different paths. One learns a trade and by 25 has been making good $$ for 7 years and be well on their way to being a master plumber or electrician. The other gets a degree in indigenous studies, or art history etc. etc. and at 25 has been working at Jack-in- box for two years looking for a job in their field.

The degree type definitely matters. Way back when, having a college degree was a huge leg up.

Now, a big chunk are relatively worthless in terms of a good career. Having an art, English, history, general science degree … not worth a ton as a BS unless your intention is to teach.

A trade is a really strong option right now. It always has been but it seems we’ve steered away from that a bit and now it’s more valuable.

My kids are too young right now but I’m keeping a close eye on what interests and satisfies them. If it’s a trade, so be it, we will aim high. If it’s in the academic arena, we will aim high there (and try to avoid the crackpot type of teachers).

But I’d agree that overall, the value of a college degree is low (talking a BS, specifically) probably lower than it’s ever been (on average).

Reactions: LVRebel2000
An example of a trade being much better than a degree is my son. He is in the Nevada Army National guard in communications. He has already completed 2 years at UNLV when he was sent over to Iraqi/Kuwait for a year. Prior to and while serving overseas he was getting all of his certifications, etc.... When he returned this last summer he figured out that by getting his military clearances he would be able to work in the private sector and move up quickly without a college degree. Most computer experts are far better off to go the certification route than get a computer degree from an antiquated professor who would have no clue what to do in the real world!

My son is currently 22 and is being paid close to $100K with zero debt and will be able to move to a higher paying position as soon as he has a higher level military clearance. By the time those who go the computer route in college finish with their degrees, they will have sunk $50K-$100K into an education (or far more), will start at a pay level that is well behind my son, and will never even come close to making the type of money he can without the same certifications he already had for free through the military.

My take, getting your degree won't prevent you from taking on a trade if that is the career route you choose but completing college with a degree provides you with more career options. That said, the guys are football player and are looking to continue playing football in college to go along with the process of earning a degree.

Football wise, a lot of people push the idea of being a "D-1 player" on young local athletes when, the reality is that they should be choosing 4-year programs willing to provide compensation for you to complete your degree while putting in the work to maximize your athletic talent. In the modern era of sports with so many media options, you don't need to be at an FBS school to garner exposure & attention from professional football teams. An all-conference player at the D2 and FCS level with outstanding athletic talent is generally on equal footing with the average mid-major FBS player.

As for UNLV, the season finished with 7 out of 12 local player on the roster listed in the two deep and I feel UNLV has local options they should consider regardless of listed stars. Just like Maiava, there's several athletically gifted public school guys that would be listed as 3 or 4 star players if they were playing in Texas, California, Hawaii, etc.

Reactions: RunninReb1989
Recruiting locals has always been tough since the highly recruited players know that they can always "come home" to UNLV if things don't work out elsewhere, because there is the "U Never Leave Vegas" stigma with high school kids in general, because local kids have seen how little support and media coverage UNLV football gets, and because local kids hear a lot more about the lack of football success the program has gotten used to.

SDSU will always have a leg up on UNLV here for G5 talents as long as they have Hunkie Cooper recruiting, have a winning reputation, and a campus in California.

Would love to have Hunkie Cooper at UNLV.

UNLV Recap:

E. Wash -- lose by 2 in double OT (wrong starting QB?)
ASU -- trailed 14-10 w 1 min left in 3rd quarter when Brumfield gets hurt. Team falls apart.
Fresno St -- up 30-29 w 7 mins left in game. Brumfield left game again
UTSA -- trailed 24-17 w 6 min left after true fresh QB Friel threw 2 int & lost fumble
Utah St -- led 24-21 w 1 min left
SJSU -- led 20-13 going into the 4th
SDSU -- behind 21-20 into the 4th quarter. Late int by Rogers to end tying drive

Say what you want but UNLV was competitive nearly every game. I really think UNLV is missing just a couple of pieces, especially a DURABLE QB. Lost 6 games by 8 pts or less. There was massive improvement over the year before. I think they are trending in the right direction and are RIGHT THERE on the edge. They were "so close" to being 8-4 with a couple of huge upsets.
I know, I know, "close" doesn't count and is still a loss but the Rebs are close as a team and I am looking forward to what CMA and the boys have for next season.

UNLV Recap:

ASU -- trailed 14-10 w 1 min left in 3rd quarter when Brumfield gets hurt. Team falls apart.
UTSA -- trailed 24-17 w 6 min left after true fresh QB Friel threw 2 int & lost fumble
SDSU -- behind 21-20 into the 4th quarter. Late int by Rogers to end tying drive

Say what you want but UNLV was competitive nearly every game. I really think UNLV is missing just a couple of pieces, especially a DURABLE QB. Lost 6 games by 8 pts or less. There was massive improvement over the year before. I think they are trending in the right direction and are RIGHT THERE on the edge. They were "so close" to being 8-4 with a couple of huge upsets.
I know, I know, "close" doesn't count and is still a loss but the Rebs are close as a team and I am looking forward to what CMA and the boys have for next season.
I'm with you on that. It didn't feel like we were significantly overmatched in any but a couple of games. We had a good chance to win a lot of games, but came up just short. I'm not sure who the answer is at QB next year. Can Brumfield stay healthy? Do they bring in a stud transfer? Did Rogers figure it out, and will he have the same success that he had at the end of the season? Will Friel be the guy? No idea

Last edited:
Reactions: CRhodes1983
I think Brumfield's build is over blown. There are many succcessful QB's with similiar builds. I think the problem, more than anything, is pass protection. If we had any sort of dependable pass pro, then our WB, whoever it will be, will be more successful and less apt to injury.

Sure Brumfield was hurt a lot this year. He ran aggressively, and was practically running for his life the instant he touched the ball nearly every play. Could be injury prone and liability for the future? Maybe. Is Friel built for more punishment? Sure. But regardless of QB were are playing Russian roullette with injuries . I think Brumfield gives us the best chance to win, even with Friel progressingl nyicely as the year progressed. I happy we have both.

I just hope they can solve the pass blocking problem a bit more next season. Also I wonder how the run game will look without Chuck next year. They were certainly scared to give anyone else substantial carries this year. Does his play make our Run blocking look better than it is?

Schools are loading up on Quarterback from the portal. Any updates on the UNLV side? Can we get a 4 string QB from an SEC team somewhere?

It is far more important to have an offensive line that will protect the QB then get another QB! If the OL does their job, UNLV would have won 3-6 more games this past season.

Reactions: rickyb55
UNLV Recap:

I'm on the same page with you on how things went last year. Biggest concern i have is specifically about Arroyo's chops as a head coach. Issues with clock management at ends of halves/games including timeouts, personnel awareness (multiple times he used timeouts after a kickoff or tv timeout because the right guys weren't in the huddle), play calling in general, and roster management (we all saw Rogers in 2020, and Arroyo opted to start hum over frield AND brumfield.... additionally he never really made an effort to find a body who will impact the run game in 2022).

In spite of these issues, the team seemed close most of the year...

What about the RB transfer from Oregon last year? I also have a big concern in regards to the lack of receivers, so I am hoping the players he has brought in will make the pass game more of a threat!

I think we brought in 3 WR's - correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully, they have better hands than what we've been seeing.

I'm wondering about the Oregon RB as well. If he made progress in practice, etc., then we might have needed to use Williams as much as we did. I'm not saying that Williams wasn't the best player on that side of the ball because he was. I'm saying that even Michael Jordan needed to rest during a game.

We need more impactful defensive players! It is the most important infusion UNLV can make. More defense players!!!!!!

We need more impactful defensive players! It is the most important infusion UNLV can make. More defense players!!!!!!
Please!!! You mothers*cker at UNLV, more defensive players and more impactful ones through transfers....

While you bitches talking about the damn virus, UNLV need players...

I think we brought in 3 WR's - correct me if I'm wrong. Hopefully, they have better hands than what we've been seeing.

I'm wondering about the Oregon RB as well. If he made progress in practice, etc., then we might have needed to use Williams as much as we did. I'm not saying that Williams wasn't the best player on that side of the ball because he was. I'm saying that even Michael Jordan needed to rest during a game.

Oregon guy was injured I think.

I like having a workhorse back. But I agree, I like to see somebody be able to take some reps off the starter.

So where are these transfers? We have had 5 enter the portal and picked up 1. Several of the guys headed out seem like no big loss but we need to add. Seems foolish to think one day I'll wake up and we announce 15 guys are coming in via the portal

So where are these transfers? We have had 5 enter the portal and picked up 1. Several of the guys headed out seem like no big loss but we need to add. Seems foolish to think one day I'll wake up and we announce 15 guys are coming in via the portal
I think it’s tough to get a grip on. This is all so new, at least the intensity level of it - the portal I mean. I guess you have to have faith or just play wait and see …

We lost Jacoby.

Nobody else that has entered the portal was seeing much action at all. All had been passed over on the depth chart.

As for when we start seeing guys get signed...Probably after bowl season..

…and continue to rerecruit your own players so you don’t lose them. Totally different environment. Probably need a separate member of the staff who’s sole responsibility is to ensure current players have what they need, feel like a values part of the program, etc., to keep them in place.

We lost Jacoby.

Nobody else that has entered the portal was seeing much action at all. All had been passed over on the depth chart.

As for when we start seeing guys get signed...Probably after bowl season.

This year schools are granted up to 32 signees because of last years covid stuff. We need to have signed way more hs recruits. (We signed 10) I tend to think we didn't have good players wanting to sign. I don't buy the "we're going the portal route". It's likely the 2 wins in 2 years is costing us big time with recruits.

This year schools are granted up to 32 signees because of last years covid stuff. We need to have signed way more hs recruits. (We signed 10) I tend to think we didn't have good players wanting to sign. I don't buy the "we're going the portal route". It's likely the 2 wins in 2 years is costing us big time with recruits.

You very well could be right...Just going by what the man said..

Reactions: LINEBACKER_U
Arroyo said he brought in a smaller early signing class because of how volatile the transfer portal is now.

The transfer portal has completely changed the recruiting game..
NIL and transfer portal have change the recruiting game, I trust in Arroyo and staff for now. They know then I do. Fact.

NIL and transfer portal have change the recruiting game, I trust in Arroyo and staff for now. They know then I do. Fact.
We gotta be getting our butts kicked in NIL.

I don’t see how we can compete with other schools in that department.

We will not know who else they have until more of the bowl season ends to see if UNLV picks up any big time transfers! As for NIL, we are in the MWC,!

We will not know who else they have until more of the bowl season ends to see if UNLV picks up any big time transfers! As for NIL, we are in the MWC,!
Players in the portal are allowed to play in the bowl games. Strange but true. Colorado St has 11 dudes from the portal already.

You very well could be right...Just going by what the man said..
Mastiff- That wasn't directed at you. I agree with you about the transfers out. I also think we should embrace nil and we would have a leg up on all other mwc teams. It should be an advantage for us. Who can make more money flow... Vegas or Boise Idaho? Vegas or Laramie Wyoming? We should be all over it.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Mastiff- That wasn't directed at you. I agree with you about the transfers out. I also think we should embrace nil and we would have a leg up on all other mwc teams. It should be an advantage for us. Who can make more money flow... Vegas or Boise Idaho? Vegas or Laramie Wyoming? We should be all over it.

No argument from me...

But the problem is, we have some hundredthousandaire boosters, but no T-Boone pickers screw you money boosters like Ok State.

The Fertitta complex is great but even that was a slog to get done.

I'm ok with the approach Arroyo is taking, as long as he can fill the positions we are lean at. Namely OL and DL.

If you go heavy on guys with 2 years or less eligibility, you better not miss...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT