ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Night

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
McCabe, Hark, and Parquet will be honored on senior night, but LuRod wont be. Wonder if this means he is staying in Vegas another year or if he will transfer to another school for his final year. Would you want LuRod to come back? He was very good at the beginning of the season before the injury.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
McCabe, Hark, and Parquet will be honored on senior night, but LuRod wont be. Wonder if this means he is staying in Vegas another year or if he will transfer to another school for his final year. Would you want LuRod to come back? He was very good at the beginning of the season before the injury.
Yeah, you take him back. Easy choice for me.

100% yes, as a versatile 6th man.

Sounds like the only three being honored are the three with expiring eligibility

Last edited:
Yes, I want LuRod to come back.

Three gone two coming in leaves one available. How many transfer out? My guess is 5 transfer and 5 stay. Meaning 8 new players.
In a couple weeks we will start to hear who stays and who goes. But I am expecting another big turnover.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Three gone two coming in leaves one available. How many transfer out? My guess is 5 transfer and 5 stay. Meaning 8 new players.
In a couple weeks we will start to hear who stays and who goes. But I am expecting another big turnover.
Lou Rod transferred here. My reading of the portal transfer rules is he would have to sit a year if he transferred a second time. So, I think it's very likely he stays.

My understanding as well unless he graduates then free to go wherever as a grad transfer without sitting.
This is what I was thinking. I don't think he will want to spend his last year as a 6th man so if he feels like he wont start, he is out imo.

He is one I think that stays, but even with the new transfer rules the ncaa is still granting a bunch of waivers so nothing surprises me anymore on players not sitting anymore

LuRod should start next year. Bring in transfers that build around him and Nowell. Also I’d like Webster back, Kruger needs to learn to draw up some plays for him this off-season.

If he's a starter, then CKK will be looking for a new job after next season. He's a good backup, but if we want to win big, he's not a starter. If we want to finish 8th in the MWC, let he and Gilbert continue to start.
He is good enough to start in the MW. It’s not like we will be able to replace him with anyone better anyways. Kevin needs to focus on 3 things this off-season.

Bring in a TRUE PG, whether he somehow gets Dedon or has to find an experienced transfer.

Bring is a solid big, we have to upgrade from the disaster our bigs were this year. Someone like an Udeze or even a Hamm (even though he was a little small for a 5, he played hard)

And finally he needs to bring in another alpha scorer. He had Bryce in year 1, he got harkless this year. He needs to do it again.

Reactions: TimothyC3
If he's a starter, then CKK will be looking for a new job after next season. He's a good backup, but if we want to win big, he's not a starter. If we want to finish 8th in the MWC, let he and Gilbert continue to start.
Not sure I agree with that. He was really good for us for the first half of the year. He doesn't necessarily need to be an all american or even a top option, but he's still a capable all-around player. IMO, the positions that we needed help on this year were PG and bigs. We hardly got any offensive production from the bigs, and aside from Muoka, we were undersized so we got beat up on the boards a lot of games. If we could address the PG and bigs, I think he would still be a good complimentary player

Reactions: AnthemRebel
Not sure I agree with that. He was really good for us for the first half of the year. He doesn't necessarily need to be an all american or even a top option, but he's still a capable all-around player. IMO, the positions that we needed help on this year were PG and bigs. We hardly got any offensive production from the bigs, and aside from Muoka, we were undersized so we got beat up on the boards a lot of games. If we could address the PG and bigs, I think he would still be a good complimentary player
I like him. I wouldn’t mind him starting, just can’t be a go to guy or a guy you expect big numbers from. I think there’s plenty of room on the floor for him as a pretty strong complimentary player.

Why do you think he would not start.
I think Nowell will start at the 3 and I'm only saying this because I think (more like praying and hoping) we will bring in a 2 guard who is a scorer. That will push LuRod out of the starting lineup as I think CKK will want to retain Nowell for 2 years because he has a higher upside than LuRod.

I loved LuRod at the beginning of the season, but have cooled off on him since the injury. If he can round back into form and be a good complimentary player, I think he has the chance to start again next year, but at the cost of losing Nowell.

Agreed on LuRod! We need a true PG who can score, a real dynamic scorer at the 2, we need a Udeze type at the 4 and a C with hands who is 6’10 or taller who is not Shaq at the foul line!

Great points @AnthemRebel and @rebel5280!

On my personal wishlist, a scoring PG isn't a must. I'm okay with someone like DaJuan Harris from Kansas. Steady, calm, and doesnt turn the ball over. He knows how to run a team and makes winning plays. I'm not sure if anyone paid attention to UC Irvine a couple of years ago, but they got an experienced PG in Robert Cartwright and he led them to the tourney where they upset Kansas State. This is what we need.

If we somehow get DJ, I'm okay with living and dying with him. In that case, we would need a bonafide scorer, a rim runner at the 5, and a stretch 4.

How do we play Utah State tough in Utah and are getting smoked tonight?

Our offense is playground and our defense just plain sucks with Utah St moving the ball and having great shooters.

How do we play Utah State tough in Utah and are getting smoked tonight?

Our offense is playground and our defense just plain sucks with Utah St moving the ball and having great shooters.
We’ve degenerated into too much one on one ball. Everybody trying to get theirs.

Reactions: NSU67
We stink, I don’t think it matters who comes back or who’s being brought in next year, Kevin is treading water and delaying the inevitable!

Outside Nowell getting playing time and finally being healthy, who on this team has improved as the season has gone on? There's not a single player I can see that has improved beyond just getting more minutes. They still can't rotate on defense or rebound, or run offensive sets that's not dependent on Harkless... And don't give me injuries excuses

We stink, I don’t think it matters who comes back or who’s being brought in next year, Kevin is treading water and delaying the inevitable!
Sometimes coaches see one thing and construct the whole team wrong. Like Otz second year he recruited a bunch of good shooters with no one who could get them open by penetration. And KK got a bunch of defensive wing guys this year who cannot shoot and seemed to lose interest in defense as the year went on.

The last 2 games are up there with worse rebel hoop ever outside of MM year one. We are easily the worse looking coached team in the MW. It is hard to have hope for next year seeing this bunch and losing by far there best player in Harkless.

Outside Nowell getting playing time and finally being healthy, who on this team has improved as the season has gone on? There's not a single player I can see that has improved beyond just getting more minutes. They still can't rotate on defense or rebound, or run offensive sets that's not dependent on Harkless... And don't give me injuries excuses
".....who on this team has improved as the season has gone on?"

Hall

Hall
Hall hasn't improved. He still can't jump. His conditioning is suspect. He has a good outside shot but we will never know because no one cuts to the basket. Harkless has done well, Nowell finally got some playing time, three minutes at a time, tonight, Harkless and Nowell were both on the bench while USU killed the guys who went in for them. A high school coach from Dominquez HS would substitute better.

Hall
No, he hasn't. He's exactly the same player he was since getting consistent playing time due to injury.
***and it's fine, he's a freshman making freshman plays but I wouldn't say "improved"

If he's a starter then we better have at least TWO proven scorers on the floor as well. Then he'd be fine to have as a starter.

No, he hasn't. He's exactly the same player he was since getting consistent playing time due to injury.
***and it's fine, he's a freshman making freshman plays but I wouldn't say "improved"
Kinda reminds me of the Lou Amundson argument. He was “developed” by Kruger.

From what I’ve seen up close and personal, Lou A had a work ethic rarely approached. He was non stop by himself, with team managers, with whoever was willing to go with him. He seriously DID. NOT. STOP.

But as much as that, he finally had opportunity and he, as he matured, ACCEPTED that he was a power guy, not a perimeter guy. That acceptance came before Kruger.

It all went together but Lou was patient and he finally had opportunity to shine, and he did. A problem with todays kids, including Hall and most others - they don’t have the patience. They want it as freshman.

I remember BYU playing us when Jimmer was a freshman. You could see he had some real stuff as a freshman. And he didn’t play much. But you still saw he had something to his game - I’d never think it would become what it actually became … as a sophomore, you could really see some special. And then he exploded. He didn’t rush the process. Kids aren’t built that way anymore.

Kinda reminds me of the Lou Amundson argument. He was “developed” by Kruger.

From what I’ve seen up close and personal, Lou A had a work ethic rarely approached. He was non stop by himself, with team managers, with whoever was willing to go with him. He seriously DID. NOT. STOP.

But as much as that, he finally had opportunity and he, as he matured, ACCEPTED that he was a power guy, not a perimeter guy. That acceptance came before Kruger.

It all went together but Lou was patient and he finally had opportunity to shine, and he did. A problem with todays kids, including Hall and most others - they don’t have the patience. They want it as freshman.

I remember BYU playing us when Jimmer was a freshman. You could see he had some real stuff as a freshman. And he didn’t play much. But you still saw he had something to his game - I’d never think it would become what it actually became … as a sophomore, you could really see some special. And then he exploded. He didn’t rush the process. Kids aren’t built that way anymore.
Bryce felt like one of those rare kids too, although he at times wanted to rush it a bit. Extremely talented, sat buried on the bench mostly his freshman year. Worked his game under TJO, got the Playing time and got better. Had opportunities to leave and go elsewhere presumably for more playing time/exposure but stuck around and was basically unstoppable in the Mountain West by end of his Senior year. Sucks we couldnt have had the pieces from this year last year with him because man, having a 1-2-3 of Bryce, Harkless, Williams wouldve been killer.
**Yes I realize that having Harkless and Bryce likely reduces effect of one....

Reactions: rebel5280
Bryce felt like one of those rare kids too, although he at times wanted to rush it a bit. Extremely talented, sat buried on the bench mostly his freshman year. Worked his game under TJO, got the Playing time and got better. Had opportunities to leave and go elsewhere presumably for more playing time/exposure but stuck around and was basically unstoppable in the Mountain West by end of his Senior year. Sucks we couldnt have had the pieces from this year last year with him because man, having a 1-2-3 of Bryce, Harkless, Williams wouldve been killer.
**Yes I realize that having Harkless and Bryce likely reduces effect of one....
Maybe, maybe not… if you’re smart, you spread em out in the floor. That would have been fun to watch, Williams, Hamilton and Harkless. I could have been the big man with those 3 and UNLV would have still been nice! Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT