ADVERTISEMENT

Senika gone

Most likely he will end up playing for a lower level program. No doubt with White returning and the Texas transfer, he didn't see his playing time improving next season.

He made a good play in the bowl game that wipes out the FSU drop.
Nah, if you go over the course of the season, he got an F on the mid-term, that drop was critical. And the TD vs Kansas was nice … and it did give us some lingering hope at that very moment, still long shot hope.

But I don’t think it wipes out the FSU drop (we have lost in OT, who knows?). But that drop at that time … took some wind out of the sails. And it prevented the Rebels winning the conference title outright … something UNLV never does.

I wish Senika all the best. If I were to offer him some advice it would be to really work on his hands this offseason, I think if he could move up a few tiers on his catching the ball, he could be a productive college player.
But I don’t think it wipes out the FSU drop (we have lost in OT, who knows?). But that drop at that time … took some wind out of the sails. And it prevented the Rebels winning the conference title outright … something UNLV never does.
Eh, I still think that's all recency bias. We reacted horribly all year after a turnover, the DeJesus muff followed by a 3 and out where FSU scored right off of, followed by a JM interception followed by a Jet Thomas fumble. Everyone forgets that we had the ball 1st and goal from the 4 the series before, or that after the incomplete pass we had 2 more shots at the endzone, but Maiava through a panicked interception on 3rd down. The drop hurts, but it doesn't hurt worse than any of those other errors. We allowed 17-24 point runs in all of our losses after bad turnovers this year.

Reactions: unlove
I wish Senika all the best. If I were to offer him some advice it would be to really work on his hands this offseason, I think if he could move up a few tiers on his catching the ball, he could be a productive college player.

Eh, I still think that's all recency bias. We reacted horribly all year after a turnover, the DeJesus muff followed by a 3 and out where FSU scored right off of, followed by a JM interception followed by a Jet Thomas fumble. Everyone forgets that we had the ball 1st and goal from the 4 the series before, or that after the incomplete pass we had 2 more shots at the endzone, but Maiava through a panicked interception on 3rd down. The drop hurts, but it doesn't hurt worse than any of those other errors. We allowed 17-24 point runs in all of our losses after bad turnovers this year.
Oh, I very much recall the series of mistakes that cascaded into a bad loss, bad in that we looked tremendous up until the DeJesus fumble. We were absolutely dominating. And it unraveled.

But the one least likely to lead to a potential mistake was the missed catch. And no, that doesn’t WIN the game and it shouldn’t have come down to it.

I look at it like this. A lineman, a kicker, any student would have caught that pass. It was THAT easy.

Reactions: goraphareb
Oh, I very much recall the series of mistakes that cascaded into a bad loss, bad in that we looked tremendous up until the DeJesus fumble. We were absolutely dominating. And it unraveled.

But the one least likely to lead to a potential mistake was the missed catch. And no, that doesn’t WIN the game and it shouldn’t have come down to it.

I look at it like this. A lineman, a kicker, any student would have caught that pass. It was THAT easy.

Here's a 10 minute video of Jerry Rice dropping passes...it can happen to people with a lot better hands than Senika McKie.

I would agree that he should have caught that ball, but I think you're leaning into the hyperbole that anyone could have made that catch in that position. That one hurt because it was such a clean look, but for me I take a much bigger L from us running 4 times from the 4 and unable to score.

Reactions: dcut03

Here's a 10 minute video of Jerry Rice dropping passes...it can happen to people with a lot better hands than Senika McKie.

I would agree that he should have caught that ball, but I think you're leaning into the hyperbole that anyone could have made that catch in that position. That one hurt because it was such a clean look, but for me I take a much bigger L from us running 4 times from the 4 and unable to score.
Not necessarily disagreeing … but those other plays were defended, somebody else did what they were supposed to do to stop us. I wasn’t crazy about the play calls. But still, they were contested.

The pass wasn’t contested at all. It was playing catch pre-game.

Nah, if you go over the course of the season, he got an F on the mid-term, that drop was critical. And the TD vs Kansas was nice … and it did give us some lingering hope at that very moment, still long shot hope.

I couldn’t tell from the replays but I think clearly he took his eye off the ball too soon. Happens to every receiver but it’s your worst nightmare in a situation like that.

He’s not going to be lamenting the drop anymore, he got a very nice TD in a bowl game vs a p5 opponent. That is a situation where both sides can use it to their advantage. Odom can point to that instance when recruiting saying that he’ll always stick by you no matter what. McKie can show for the rest of his life that he doesn’t give up, that is what he’s going to be leaving unlv with, I’m happy for him.

I think it’s going to work out well for both sides. We are getting clear upgrades and McKie wants to be somewhere to get more target shares. Best of luck to him.

Reactions: rebeltob
I couldn’t tell from the replays but I think clearly he took his eye off the ball too soon. Happens to every receiver but it’s your worst nightmare in a situation like that.

He’s not going to be lamenting the drop anymore, he got a very nice TD in a bowl game vs a p5 opponent. That is a situation where both sides can use it to their advantage. Odom can point to that instance when recruiting saying that he’ll always stick by you no matter what. McKie can show for the rest of his life that he doesn’t give up, that is what he’s going to be leaving unlv with, I’m happy for him.

I think it’s going to work out well for both sides. We are getting clear upgrades and McKie wants to be somewhere to get more target shares. Best of luck to him.
I really liked the way Odom handled the situation. Said a lot about the guy to me.

I was hopeful it would spark Senika for the rest of the season, but it didn’t. He was a non-factor the rest of the way. But that’s only part of the reason you do it. As you said, it shows everyone that we have a coach that has his players back and he doesn’t throw them under the bus easily, like some do very easily (sometimes it has to happen, but usually not).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT