ADVERTISEMENT

Sandoval

These posts remind of FOX News. You are stating what you purport to be my view, as if you actually have evidence that I said something like calling Tark the "devil." Please show me a example of me calling Tarkanian a devil.

Now I may have called Pitino sleazy or something of that nature, but I certainly cannot recall making explicitly derogatory statements about Tarkanian. My big sin on this site is that I refuse to elevate Tarkanian to god-like status. But that is, at least in my mind, far different then calling him the devil. People have clay feet. That is the nature of being human.
Well, there is a statue on campus at the Thomas and Mack, I doubt you’ve seen it. But a lot people do stop by there to pay their respects.

No, not a God. But you won’t find a statue of Maxson or his cronies anywhere.

These posts remind of FOX News. You are stating what you purport to be my view, as if you actually have evidence that I said something like calling Tark the "devil." Please show me a example of me calling Tarkanian a devil.

Now I may have called Pitino sleazy or something of that nature, but I certainly cannot recall making explicitly derogatory statements about Tarkanian. My big sin on this site is that I refuse to elevate Tarkanian to god-like status. But that is, at least in my mind, far different then calling him the devil. People have clay feet. That is the nature of being human.

Uh ohhhh you broke one of Rebel Net's 10 commandments.

5) Thou shalt not besmirch the name Tarkanian, for Tarkanian so loved Las Vegas he gave unto it, it's only begotten championship.

In the name of the Tarkanian, the Tarkanian and the Holy Tarkanian

-Amen

That's sandwiched between

2) Thou shalt buy no cars from Cliff of Findlay. For he is a charlatan and bringer of much woe.

3) Thou shalt worship no coach except Tarkanian. For only he was the Alpha and the Amoeba.

4) Worship no false prophets who come in the guise of President and Athletic Director. Let their names be poison upon your lips...

6) Thou shalt not blaspheme Tarkanian with accusations of sin. For when all programs sin none do.

7) Thou shalt spurn those who speak ill of Tarkanian. Treat them as you would treat a viper, a leper or a Kunzer-Murphy...

Last edited:
Joe, as I have said before, although I went to grad school at duke, I rooted for unlv the year we won and the year they beat us. Now because they ended our undefeated season, I mostly root against them except when they play the Tar Heels.

Everything else you say is based on some mythological view you have of bogey men faculty members who want to emasculate athletics at unlv. I would love to see unlv be relevant in athletics. But not by having a coach who hired hookers to convince five star recruits to enroll at unlv. And that went on without Pitino having any knowledge of those shenanigans.

It is sad if you don’t see how destructive hiring a disgraced Pitino would be to the reputation of unlv. It is also sad that you cannot seem to accept the fact that unlv is bigger than basketball. I also gaurantee you that there was never a second when I was jealous of Tarkanian or somehow felt diminished by his success. I assume Tarkanian loved what was doing just as much as I loved teaching physics and running the Honors College.

Relax and enjoy our surprisingly rainy winter. And let’s all hope the rebels can beat the cowboys Tuesday. Go Rebels.

Just some context here lvhiker; the last 30 years have shown that it is successful basketball and football programs that have been able to elevate entire universities. Schools like TCU, BSU, and GU, just to name a few have been massively elevated in the last 20 years because of athletic success. That fact that you seem to not appreciate this is THE problem. Historically, basketball at UNLV had the opportunity to not just be like another department in the university, but it had the potential to move UNLV into greater conferences, increase stature, increase funding, and transform the campus experience and culture.

It is sad that some can't seem to get that the morals of the gender studies program should not be allowed to sink the primarily athletic teams. Schools like Louisville got this and were willing to engage guys like Pitino and Petrino to elevate their whole school. You can pontificate all you want about what you find morally objectionable, but there is no denying that UNLV squandered a golden opportunity in the last 30 years to be much more than it is today. And that is not just for Basketball, but in what UNLVMB could have done for the whole university.

Just some context here lvhiker; the last 30 years have shown that it is successful basketball and football programs that have been able to elevate entire universities. Schools like TCU, BSU, and GU, just to name a few have been massively elevated in the last 20 years because of athletic success. That fact that you seem to not appreciate this is THE problem. Historically, basketball at UNLV had the opportunity to not just be like another department in the university, but it had the potential to move UNLV into greater conferences, increase stature, increase funding, and transform the campus experience and culture.

It is sad that some can't seem to get that the morals of the gender studies program should not be allowed to sink the primarily athletic teams. Schools like Louisville got this and were willing to engage guys like Pitino and Petrino to elevate their whole school. You can pontificate all you want about what you find morally objectionable, but there is no denying that UNLV squandered a golden opportunity in the last 30 years to be much more than it is today. And that is not just for Basketball, but in what UNLVMB could have done for the whole university.
Thank you. Very well put.

Unless you are a prestigious Ivy or other well established school, which we aren’t, the potential benefit of athletics is stronger than anything else at the university. UNLV nipped that in the bud and slowed the growth dramatically.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
Hmmmmm! Raiders propose move to Las Vegas, MGM’s Hornbuckle steps in to approve followed by Sandoval’s full throated endorsement.

Move along, Nothing to see here folks.

My original point was actually about political corruption and it never got touched but nonetheless it turned into quite a thread. Maybe I should have added MGM hires Sandoval after “Sandoval’s full throated endorsement”.

My original point was actually about political corruption and it never got touched but nonetheless it turned into quite a thread. Maybe I should have added MGM hires Sandoval after “Sandoval’s full throated endorsement”.

It's hard to keep things on topic Pete.

Watch this...

I think Tina Kunzer-Murphy gets a bad rap.

(Ducks head)

Will you be there Monday?

Reactions: RebelinWA
It's hard to keep things on topic Pete.

Watch this...

I think Tina Kunzer-Murphy gets a bad rap.

(Ducks head)

Will you be there Monday?
giphy.gif

A family friend, and former administrator at UNLV, Norvell Pohl (RIP), became the president at UNT in the early 2000's, and one of the first things they did was give an extra commitment to football and it paid dividends.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
.... Historically, basketball at UNLV had the opportunity to not just be like another department in the university, but it had the potential to move UNLV into greater conferences, increase stature, increase funding, and transform the campus experience and culture....
Yup. No doubt in my mind that we would have eventually been taken into the PAC if Maxon hadn't run out Tark and Hyde at the same time. Thus we could have been in one of the top academic conferences in the nation but Maxon ruined that opportunity.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
Yup. No doubt in my mind that we would have eventually been taken into the PAC if Maxon hadn't run out Tark and Hyde at the same time. Thus we could have been in one of the top academic conferences in the nation but Maxon ruined that opportunity.
Tier 1 is going to aid us if it happens, but it took decades for that. Athletics can expedite it incredibly.

I just don't think people grasp how transformative to a whole university athletics has been to schools in the last 30 years. UNLV has always struggled to develop a more rich and meaningful campus life and not just be a commuter school. This was one of the things I wished would've been different when I went there.

Elite level football or basketball has a way to catalyze campus life like nothing else for colleges. If we would have not been derailed decades ago, UNLV likely have elevated to a P5 conference 20 years ago and found a way to get a football stadium on campus years ago as well. Just think how that would have been able to transform the student and campus life experience.

So go ahead and die on your moral principles and self-righteousness of thinking your liberal arts department is equally important with mens basketball or football, just don't be surprised when UNLV just stagnant and languishes from becoming what it could have been.

I just don't think people grasp how transformative to a whole university athletics has been to schools in the last 30 years. UNLV has always struggled to develop a more rich and meaningful campus life and not just be a commuter school. This was one of the things I wished would've been different when I went there.

Elite level football or basketball has a way to catalyze campus life like nothing else for colleges. If we would have not been derailed decades ago, UNLV likely have elevated to a P5 conference 20 years ago and found a way to get a football stadium on campus years ago as well. Just think how that would have been able to transform the student and campus life experience.

So go ahead and die on your moral principles and self-righteousness of thinking your liberal arts department is equally important with mens basketball or football, just don't be surprised when UNLV just stagnant and languishes from becoming what it could have been.
It still has that rent-a-uni vibe too it because it really is so transient. It takes time to develop tradition, that can’t be forced and it’s a young school. But athletics is able to bridge many gaps during that time. There’s little community pride about the academics, that’s just the way it is. But there was/is pride for athletics.

Academia doesn’t get it. They never will understand it.

I fully agree that elite athletics could really play a role in transforming campus life. I’m also pleasantly surprised with all the new student housing going up. You now have the ECHO on Trop, The Degree on Cottage Grove, and UNLV Gateway on Maryland all set to open. Adding a couple thousand more students living on campus is a great start to changing the “commuter” feel UNLV alway seemed to have when I was there. There could be some more projects on the way too. Now that we’re going to have all these additional kids on campus we just need some exciting winning teams to get them into the Mack and down to the new Las Vegas Stadium!

I fully agree that elite athletics could really play a role in transforming campus life. I’m also pleasantly surprised with all the new student housing going up. You now have the ECHO on Trop, The Degree on Cottage Grove, and UNLV Gateway on Maryland all set to open. Adding a couple thousand more students living on campus is a great start to changing the “commuter” feel UNLV alway seemed to have when I was there. There could be some more projects on the way too. Now that we’re going to have all these additional kids on campus we just need some exciting winning teams to get them into the Mack and down to the new Las Vegas Stadium!
Yes indeed. The stadium being far closer will definitely help in this regard but the additional campus housing is absolutely HUGE.

Reactions: bcvegaspt

Let's hope that maybe the school can bus the on-campus students to the games. Grey a good student section going

Let's hope that maybe the school can bus the on-campus students to the games. Grey a good student section going

I don't see why they wouldn't. They've had that going out to Sam Boyd for years.

It's on the students to decide to go. (And staff to put product on the field to entice them to go).

They get free tickets. There was free bussing. Food deals.

I'm not sure what else the administration can do to get them out to games...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT