ADVERTISEMENT

Sandoval

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
i know some were hoping he might become UNLV’s next President but that appears to be wishful thinking. He has accepted a position with MGM promoting International Gaming.

Hmmmmm! Raiders propose move to Las Vegas, MGM’s Hornbuckle steps in to approve followed by Sandoval’s full throated endorsement.

Move along, Nothing to see here folks.

I thought Sandoval was on the top of Chancellor Reily's wish list but I don't know how many other UNLV people wanted him. I wonder what's going on with the search now. It seems like I haven't heard any news about it for months. I wonder if Marta's "Acting President" role is going to be for an extended period.

Reactions: Sam-I-am
I thought Sandoval was on the top of Chancellor Reily's wish list but I don't know how many other UNLV people wanted him. I wonder what's going on with the search now. It seems like I haven't heard any news about it for months. I wonder if Marta's "Acting President" role is going to be for an extended period.
I heard from my friend who is a Regent that Marta will stay until Jessup's contract expires than they will replace her.

I heard from my friend who is a Regent that Marta will stay until Jessup's contract expires than they will replace her.

Well today they opened up the Presidential search but they're also giving Marta "special permission" to be a candidate. What a F'ing joke this search is going to be.

As a person who knows Marta, she would be an excellent choice to lead UNLV. If she nixed hiring Mora, more power to her.

I would be very, very disappointed if Marta ever agreed to hire Pitino. That would be a gigantic mistake because it would announce to the world that UNLV Basketball is not of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, but a stand alone entity with zero accountability.

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
I would be very, very disappointed if Marta ever agreed to hire Pitino. That would be a gigantic mistake because it would announce to the world that UNLV Basketball is not of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas, but a stand alone entity with zero accountability.

The gigantic mistake was you and the rest of the liberal, holier than thou crybabies that ousted Tark. Thirty years of irrelevance has proven that. You won, you’re happy, so you happily accept the suckage we’ve become. When people like you get your way, it’s a giant victory for you because we now suck.

You and your type have ruined athletics at UNLV. Your mindset is the reason we continue to suck. You are ok with what Marv has done. Face it, you and your cronies and your shortsighted visions are the reason UNLV is completely irrelevant.

If she has the balls to hire Pitino, it would tell the world that UNLV is ready to compete.

Tark was a bigger asset to the university than you and your cronies combined. Your contributions don’t matter. His did. He’s better than you, he has more value you than you. And Pitino would just be an extension of that. And that scares the crap out of you. You probably cannot tolerate being any more irrelevant to the university than you already are.

The gigantic mistake was you and the rest of the idiots ousting Tark. Thirty years of irrelevance has proven that. You won, you’re happy, so you happily accept the suckage we’ve become. When people like you get your way, it’s a giant victory for you because we now suck.

You and your type have ruined athletics at UNLV. Your mindset is the reason we continue to suck. You are ok with what Marv has done. Face it, you and your cronies and your shortsighted visions are the reason UNLV is completely irrelevant.

If she has the balls to hire Pitino, it would tell the world that UNLV is ready to compete.

Tark was a bigger asset to the university you and your cronies combined. Your contributions don’t matter. His did. He’s better than you, he has more value you than you. And Pitino would just be an extension of that. And that scares the crap out of you. You probably cannot tolerate being any more irrelevant to the university than you already are.

Jeez Joe.....

I know....

But damn....
He reads his magazines/newspapers at games, looks up and smiles when checking the scoreboard seeing we are down 20. And he’s a Duke fan.

Holier than thous can get bent as far as I’m concerned.

I’d love to see Pitino just to see the look on his face. That’d be priceless in addition to finally winning.

The gigantic mistake was you and the rest of the liberal, holier than thou crybabies that ousted Tark. Thirty years of irrelevance has proven that. You won, you’re happy, so you happily accept the suckage we’ve become. When people like you get your way, it’s a giant victory for you because we now suck.

Tark was a bigger asset to the university than you and your cronies combined. Your contributions don’t matter. His did. He’s better than you, he has more value you than you. And Pitino would just be an extension of that. And that scares the crap out of you. You probably cannot tolerate being any more irrelevant to the university than you already are.
Why dont you tell us how you really feel Joe & this time DON’T HOLD BACK!!!

Joe, as I have said before, although I went to grad school at duke, I rooted for unlv the year we won and the year they beat us. Now because they ended our undefeated season, I mostly root against them except when they play the Tar Heels.

Everything else you say is based on some mythological view you have of bogey men faculty members who want to emasculate athletics at unlv. I would love to see unlv be relevant in athletics. But not by having a coach who hired hookers to convince five star recruits to enroll at unlv. And that went on without Pitino having any knowledge of those shenanigans.

It is sad if you don’t see how destructive hiring a disgraced Pitino would be to the reputation of unlv. It is also sad that you cannot seem to accept the fact that unlv is bigger than basketball. I also gaurantee you that there was never a second when I was jealous of Tarkanian or somehow felt diminished by his success. I assume Tarkanian loved what was doing just as much as I loved teaching physics and running the Honors College.

Relax and enjoy our surprisingly rainy winter. And let’s all hope the rebels can beat the cowboys Tuesday. Go Rebels.

Joe, as I have said before, although I went to grad school at duke, I rooted for unlv the year we won and the year they beat us. Now because they ended our undefeated season, I mostly root against them except when they play the Tar Heels.

Everything else you say is based on some mythological view you have of bogey men faculty members who want to emasculate athletics at unlv. I would love to see unlv be relevant in athletics. But not by having a coach who hired hookers to convince five star recruits to enroll at unlv. And that went on without Pitino having any knowledge of those shenanigans.

It is sad if you don’t see how destructive hiring a disgraced Pitino would be to the reputation of unlv. It is also sad that you cannot seem to accept the fact that unlv is bigger than basketball. I also gaurantee you that there was never a second when I was jealous of Tarkanian or somehow felt diminished by his success. I assume Tarkanian loved what was doing just as much as I loved teaching physics and running the Honors College.

Relax and enjoy our surprisingly rainy winter. And let’s all hope the rebels can beat the cowboys Tuesday. Go Rebels.
And your rush to judgment and assumptions shows how shallow you are. It’s also sad that you don’t see that UNLV basketball has a prominent role in our growth. What’s sadder is you fully realize you and your cronies screwed up the university and athletics, but you cannot openly admit it.

I’m sure Tark enjoyed hoops and you enjoyed teaching. But Tarkanian reached the pinnacle, you haven’t. Tark brought people together, made the university a better and wealthier place, Tark put the university on the map, you and your physics lab didn’t. Tark was a big deal.

UNLV’s reputation, it’s sterling, I guess? It’s better than it was but it’s still a joke of a school, you know it and I know it. I got my degree there and I have no problem admitting it. What about UNLV’s athletic reputation? You don’t care that it’s universally considered a joke. It’s irrelevant. But improving it isn’t an option if you don’t approve of the coach. Because you are the judge, jury and executioner. You and your ilk were before, as well, and you set us back decades.

Yeah, let’s “hope” we can beat a weak ass 6 win team. Because that’s what we have become. We have to “hope” to beat a team that’s rated in the 300’s. That’s pathetic. And it’s this way because of people like you.

Go teach Newton’s laws or something, go take a hike; anything else you and people like you touch is a disaster. Stay in your bubble of holier than thou judgments.

And your rush to judgment and assumptions shows how shallow you are. It’s also sad that you don’t see that UNLV basketball has a prominent role in our growth. What’s sadder is you fully realize you and your cronies screwed up the university and athletics, but you cannot openly admit it.

I’m sure Tark enjoyed hoops and you enjoyed teaching. But Tarkanian reached the pinnacle, you haven’t. Tark brought people together, made the university a better and wealthier place, Tark put the university on the map, you and your physics lab didn’t. Tark was a big deal.

UNLV’s reputation, it’s sterling, I guess? It’s better than it was but it’s still a joke of a school, you know it and I know it. I got my degree there and I have no problem admitting it. What about UNLV’s athletic reputation? You don’t care that it’s universally considered a joke. It’s irrelevant. But improving it isn’t an option if you don’t approve of the coach. Because you are the judge, jury and executioner. You and your ilk were before, as well, and you set us back decades.

Yeah, let’s “hope” we can beat a weak ass 6 win team. Because that’s what we have become. We have to “hope” to beat a team that’s rated in the 300’s. That’s pathetic. And it’s this way because of people like you.

Go teach Newton’s laws or something, go take a hike; anything else you and people like you touch is a disaster. Stay in your bubble of holier than thou judgments.

Damn....

Reactions: RebelinWA

I haven't a clue as to what assumptions I supposedly made about some issue and how I purportedly rushed to a judgement about said issue. I certainly agree, and have agreed from the get go, that Tarkanian and rebel basketball brought valuable national visibility to UNLV.

Not sure who my cronies are but I assume you are talking about Maxson, and the parade of presidents that have followed him. I don't think any of that train of people would consider me, a mere professor of physics, a crony, but I don't mind you putting me in that group.

I vehemently disagree with the notion that the university was screwed up by "my cronies." The university is far, far better academically than it was when I arrived 45 years ago. And I will give myself a modicum of credit for being part of the team that helped unlv improve as a university. As far as athletics being screwed up at unlv, basketball and football, have certainly been a major, major disappointment, but not sure I would paint all of athletics with that same brush.

The number of people that have wittingly and unwittingly contributed to the current state of unlv basketball is long, and if you think I am part of that list, so be it. But that downfall happened because people on campus and off-campus worked at cross purposes. And seem to still be working at cross purposes.

For me, the first step in rebuilding the basketball program is to stop using the Tarkanian years as the basis for judging the current state of basketball, which is admittedly pretty downtrodden. If those golden years are going to be what teams and coaches are compared to, then we are doomed to be forever dissatisfied. I am too optimistic a person to spend the remainder of my life ruing the state of unlv basketball.

Happy Presidents' Day.

I haven't a clue as to what assumptions I supposedly made about some issue and how I purportedly rushed to a judgement about said issue. I certainly agree, and have agreed from the get go, that Tarkanian and rebel basketball brought valuable national visibility to UNLV.

Not sure who my cronies are but I assume you are talking about Maxson, and the parade of presidents that have followed him. I don't think any of that train of people would consider me, a mere professor of physics, a crony, but I don't mind you putting me in that group.

I vehemently disagree with the notion that the university was screwed up by "my cronies." The university is far, far better academically than it was when I arrived 45 years ago. And I will give myself a modicum of credit for being part of the team that helped unlv improve as a university. As far as athletics being screwed up at unlv, basketball and football, have certainly been a major, major disappointment, but not sure I would paint all of athletics with that same brush.

The number of people that have wittingly and unwittingly contributed to the current state of unlv basketball is long, and if you think I am part of that list, so be it. But that downfall happened because people on campus and off-campus worked at cross purposes. And seem to still be working at cross purposes.

For me, the first step in rebuilding the basketball program is to stop using the Tarkanian years as the basis for judging the current state of basketball, which is admittedly pretty downtrodden. If those golden years are going to be what teams and coaches are compared to, then we are doomed to be forever dissatisfied. I am too optimistic a person to spend the remainder of my life ruing the state of unlv basketball.

Happy Presidents' Day.
Just the tone of your post, you paint a line between athletics and academics. If you can’t see that. And therein lies the problem. They can coexist, they can feed off one another though it was more parasitic 30 years ago because terrible academics fed off of successful athletics.

You place far more importance on the academic part of UNLV over the athletic side. UNLV athletics never benefitted from academics, it was always the other way around. And people don’t know of UNLV because it’s the “Harvard of the West”, it is/was far more known for athletics.

But as I stated, the tone of your last post is divisive. You don’t seem to realize that they can peacefully coexist. But you need academics to be “higher” and the only way that could be accomplished is by diminishing athletics, you couldn’t do it on your own merit. And that’s a shitty way to go about things. Knock others down to feel better about yourself instead of rising above. That’s why you read a magazine with a smile on your face while the balls are bouncing and baskets are being made. Mission accomplished, irrelevance for athletics.

That’s the way the academic side has attacked things for years. They want sports irrelevant.

I just re-read my post twice and cannot find a glimmer of tone suggesting that academics has to be "higher" than athletics. I am not even sure I know what that means. Clearly athletics at most if not all D1 schools has higher visibility than athletics. I am cool with that.

Please explain where my post is divisive. I am not sure where I painted a line between academics and athletics. If you are implying that merely noting that the university is subdivided into different areas, some academic, some oriented to student services, and also an athletic department, is equivalent to painting a line or being dismissive or whatever, me thinks you are reading way too much into your imagined tone of my post.

I have no idea why you think that I think athletics ought to be irrelevant. I do think the athletic program needs to run ethically and student-athletes have to be treated with respect. That is also the way for the university at large and all enrolled students.

Also, I would like to know who I knocked down so that I can "feel better" about myself. In general, I feel pretty good about myself without having to use other people as a reference.

Cheers

I just re-read my post twice and cannot find a glimmer of tone suggesting that academics has to be "higher" than athletics. I am not even sure I know what that means. Clearly athletics at most if not all D1 schools has higher visibility than athletics. I am cool with that.

Please explain where my post is divisive. I am not sure where I painted a line between academics and athletics. If you are implying that merely noting that the university is subdivided into different areas, some academic, some oriented to student services, and also an athletic department, is equivalent to painting a line or being dismissive or whatever, me thinks you are reading way too much into your imagined tone of my post.

I have no idea why you think that I think athletics ought to be irrelevant. I do think the athletic program needs to run ethically and student-athletes have to be treated with respect. That is also the way for the university at large and all enrolled students.

Also, I would like to know who I knocked down so that I can "feel better" about myself. In general, I feel pretty good about myself without having to use other people as a reference.

Cheers
Not your single post. In your time here, you’ve shown a clear stance. That has to be over 15+ years.

“Ethically”... then stop rooting for college sports, it’s hypocritical because it’s more like “caught” vs “not caught”.

And while we must make sure athletics is run ethically, you might to peek on your side of the fence when it comes to ethics. Athletics is visible, the other isn’t nearly as visible. But I know you believe academia is holier than thou... spare me with the ethics requirement if you live in a glass house.

I can pretty much guarantee that most of the coaches you hold in the highest esteem aren’t pure ethics. Caught vs not caught for the most part. And if we are talking complete purity, it doesn’t exist.

The number of people that have wittingly and unwittingly contributed to the current state of unlv basketball is long, and if you think I am part of that list, so be it. But that downfall happened because people on campus and off-campus worked at cross purposes. And seem to still be working at cross purposes.....

I'm not saying that you are one of Maxon's cronies but may we accept the premise that Maxon did help destroy a basketball dynasty and put the brakes on a promising football program? Tark had a dynasty going. Maxon helped destroy it. Because of Hyde's association and proximity to Tark, Mason helped Hyde out the door rather than support him at a time when many top education programs would have supported him. Hyde made mistakes, big ones, but he really did have a good start going with a great staff and a very solid recruiting philosophy.

I also want to point out that athletic success does NOT equate to poor academics. Who has the most Academic All Americans in football? Nebraska. Nearly all of those Academic All Americans had degrees in very difficult majors and went on to flourish in top medical and law schools. The team gpa of Nebraska's last national title team in volleyball was over 3.97 with the majority of them being in pre-med. Now look at the academic programs of Stanford, USC, NW, Michigan, Wiscy, Bama, Berkley, Duke, Vandy, etc, etc, etc. Athletics haven't caused them to suffer at all. I think that it has helped all of them academically.

Actually, I cannot think of a coach off hand that I hold in high esteem, let alone highest esteem.

In any case Joe, you convinced me take you off the list of people invited to give a eulogy at my funeral.

Go Rebels.

How very sad for you.
Probably because, gasp, they aren’t ethical in at least they bend the rules or flat out cheat.

If Father Mulcahey coached a team, maybe he’d pick him.

Of course, his line for moral acceptability probably bends to suit his cause. For a guy like Pitino, who the NCAA has nothing on, he’s terrible because he has sex while married. Like (sadly) more than half the guys in the country.

You know how this goes Sam....

Probably because, gasp, they aren’t ethical in at least they bend the rules or flat out cheat.

If Father Mulcahey coached a team, maybe he’d pick him.

Of course, his line for moral acceptability probably bends to suit his cause. For a guy like Pitino, who the NCAA has nothing on, he’s terrible because he has sex while married. Like (sadly) more than half the guys in the country.

You know how this goes Sam....
Heavy sighhhhh.
Tom Osborne, LaVelle Edwards, Hank Iba, Turner Gill, .....the list goes on and on... are some of the most ethical people I've ever met and I've met most of the Professors at UNLV plus hundreds around the nation....I'll put those coaches up against any of them, including my mother-in-law, who I greatly respect and was a Professor at UNLV for 35 years.

I don't know any of the "famous" coaches of basketball or football well enough to know whether or not I ought to hold them in high esteem. Not holding someone in high esteem is not the same as reviling them. A lot of people who appeared to be ethical, including doctors, professors, coaches, politicians, religious leaders, etc, turned out to be amazingly sleazy.

So not holding people I don't know well in high esteem is precautionary. Nothing against coaches, it is my general view on humanity.

I don't know any of the "famous" coaches of basketball or football well enough to know whether or not I ought to hold them in high esteem. Not holding someone in high esteem is not the same as reviling them. A lot of people who appeared to be ethical, including doctors, professors, coaches, politicians, religious leaders, etc, turned out to be amazingly sleazy.

So not holding people I don't know well in high esteem is precautionary. Nothing against coaches, it is my general view on humanity.
But you “know” that Tark and Pitino are the devil. Gotcha.

I don't know any of the "famous" coaches of basketball or football well enough to know whether or not I ought to hold them in high esteem. .... .
How sad for you.

So not holding people I don't know well in high esteem is precautionary. ....

Now that's the saddest yet. I'll never be able to "know well" most of the people I hold in high esteem like Lincoln, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr, Einstein, Boudica, Mother Teresa, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Fry......

How sad for you.

Now that's the saddest yet. I'll never be able to "know well" most of the people I hold in high esteem like Lincoln, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Jr, Einstein, Boudica, Mother Teresa, Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Fry......
Truth.

My guess is his reluctance to answer will reveal a hypocrisy he doesn’t want anybody to see.

But you “know” that Tark and Pitino are the devil. Gotcha.

These posts remind of FOX News. You are stating what you purport to be my view, as if you actually have evidence that I said something like calling Tark the "devil." Please show me a example of me calling Tarkanian a devil.

Now I may have called Pitino sleazy or something of that nature, but I certainly cannot recall making explicitly derogatory statements about Tarkanian. My big sin on this site is that I refuse to elevate Tarkanian to god-like status. But that is, at least in my mind, far different then calling him the devil. People have clay feet. That is the nature of being human.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT