ADVERTISEMENT

San Jose State/ Interesting #'s

rebelbuck

Retired Number
Aug 14, 2007
Looking at SJSU's schedule and high Pass Defense ranking I wanted to take a look for myself at the #'s. Theyhave played 3 teams that rely heavily on the run Air Force, Oregon St and Auburn.

SJSU is a solid team but like much of the MW has its faults. I think if the defense can stay on their upward trend and if KP can keep us moving the sticks with some short passes to compliment the running game this will be a very tight game heading into the 4th quarter.

New Hampshire- Passing 60 yds (SJSU won 43-13)

Air Force - Passing 24 yds (SJSU Lost 37-16 but gave up 428 on the ground)

Oregon State- Passing 135 yds (SJSU Lost 35-21 but gave up 303 on the ground)

Fresno State- Passing 159 yds (SJSU won 49-23 only gave up 88 on the ground) Game was 28-23 in the third until SJSU broke it open.

Auburn- Passing 108 yds (SJSU Lost 35-21 gave up 234 on the ground and had 4 turnovers and very poor kick coverage allowed Auburn very good field position.)

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I love how optimistic we are despite being 2-3 at this point. This team is passing our "eye test" and we are looking for reasons why we can beat our opponents, not hoping that there's a miracle that we somehow keep the games close.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
SJSU is top 10 nationally amongst defense against the pass but bottom 10 versus run offense. Our dual threat QB is perfect.
Their run offense is top 5 nationally but their passing is nowhere near that.
UNLV is top 10 nationally versus the runs offense.
I am very nervous. Sanchez in his first year. The SJSU coach is an experienced coach. I got a feelings though that they are a little worried that DeVonte Boyd is quiet thus far.

SJSU is top 10 nationally amongst defense against the pass but bottom 10 versus run offense. Our dual threat QB is perfect.
Their run offense is top 5 nationally but their passing is nowhere near that.
UNLV is top 10 nationally versus the runs offense.
I am very nervous. Sanchez in his first year. The SJSU coach is an experienced coach. I got a feelings though that they are a little worried that DeVonte Boyd is quiet thus far.
They played Air Force who never throws the ball, Auburn who relies very heavily on the run and Fresno State who I believe was on their 3rd string QB.

Not sayng their pass defense isn't good but numbers are based more on who they have faced and their offensive philisophies.

When you give up that many yards on the ground teams probably don't need to pass much. We used to see the same skewed numbers on UNLV defense. I don't know how good their db's are, maybe they are that good, but our WR's need to help KP out.

When you give up that many yards on the ground teams probably don't need to pass much. We used to see the same skewed numbers on UNLV defense. I don't know how good their db's are, maybe they are that good, but our WR's need to help KP out.

To further your point last year we gave up about 10 less yards passing per game than we are this year. Unfortunately we were giving up 100+ yards more a game on the ground. Teams didn't have to throw against us and when they did it was usually off play action resulting in big plays.

I see you guys' points. After done more reading about SJSU, agreed/

I see you guys' points. After done more reading about SJSU, agreed/
Not saying their pass defense is bad just faced teams that don't or can't throw, so it skewed the numbers a bit.

Not sure if we will even know if their secondary is any good after this weekend either. I have to imagine the staff would love to run the ball well enough to keep Palandech's pass attempts between 15-20.

I think it is more a wait and see. We just don't know how good they are, but I know our WR need to give KP a better target.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT