ADVERTISEMENT

Reser Stadium/Oregon State game.

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
Out side of more lights and being on campus...It was Sam Boyd.

No. I'm not joking.

Goes back to what I've said for years. Sam Boyd was on par with a lot of stadiums around the country. Honestly Sam Boyd had better amenities than Northwestern's stadium that had actual porta potties in the concourse.

Location was always the problem. Well that and losing.

Out side of more lights and being on campus...It was Sam Boyd.

No. I'm not joking.

Goes back to what I've said for years. Sam Boyd was on par with a lot of stadiums around the country. Honestly Sam Boyd had better amenities than Northwestern's stadium that had actual porta potties in the concourse.

Location was always the problem. Well that and losing.
Huh. That is surprising. I have only been to Reser once - before the first/second renovation, when they expanded to 45,000 seats. I think . It was really sad back then (pre-renovation). Weird that they reduced capacity to 35,000+ with the recent renovation. Although WSU lost 2-3,000 seats when we did ours.

Wikipedia copy and paste: "renovations for the outdated 16,956-seat southwest grandstand.......Although the renovation ultimately lowered Reser Stadium's total capacity to 35,548, the new grandstand is larger in size than its predecessor."

Not sure how you renovate, remove 10,000-ish? seats and have a bigger grandstand. Guess I'll have to make the trip again one of these seasons.

Hope you had fun.... :)

I've been to and worked at every MWC stadium, multiple Big Ten stadiums, a bunch of G5 stadiums, and then been to a bunch more as a fan.

Sam Boyd Stadium is on par with all of em. It's a better facility than the Rose Bowl or the Colliseum in my opinion. And, outside of the massive press box and suites tower, superior to The Big House.

The environment always sucked because the teams were meh. Locker rooms were kinda small, but much bigger than some conference foes.

People found a reason to complain. If the teams were better, the dirt lot and the distance wouldn't have bothered people. Even the troglodytes in Reno have to pay for parking for Mackay.

Edit: spelling x2

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Huh. That is surprising. I have only been to Reser once - before the first/second renovation, when they expanded to 45,000 seats. I think . It was really sad back then (pre-renovation). Weird that they reduced capacity to 35,000+ with the recent renovation. Although WSU lost 2-3,000 seats when we did ours.

Wikipedia copy and paste: "renovations for the outdated 16,956-seat southwest grandstand.......Although the renovation ultimately lowered Reser Stadium's total capacity to 35,548, the new grandstand is larger in size than its predecessor."

Not sure how you renovate, remove 10,000-ish? seats and have a bigger grandstand. Guess I'll have to make the trip again one of these seasons.

They had to squeeze that ridiculous chainsaw in there somehow.

I've been to and worked at every MWC stadium, multiple Big Ten stadiums, a bunch of G5 stadiums, and then been to a bunch more as a fan.

Sam Boyd Stadium is on par with all of em. It's a better facility than the Rose Bowl or the Colliseum in my opinion. And, outside of the massive press box and suites tower, superior to The Big House.

The environment always sucked because the teams were meh. Locker rooms were kinda small, but much bigger than some conference foes.

People found a reason to complain. If the teams were better, the dirt lot and the distance wouldn't have bothered people. Even the troglodytes in Reno have to pay for parking for Mackay.

I should say, never been to SDSU new stadium. And I don't remember for sure if I've been to the new CSU stadium. I don't think so. So those two withstanding.

There's very little personality in the MWC stadiums. It's the energy from the crowd and team performance that helps that. There is no mystique to any exception possibly the Blue out in Boise. Obvious the Big 10, Pac 12, etc., have a little more on their side for history and mystique. Being in some feels special. None in MWC have that. LaVell Edward's Stadium kinda had that feel, actually.

Aside from the communism and IPA's cool trip.

For context trips/stadiums I've seen for UNLV football road trips.

WSU (before your renovations)
Michigan
Ohio State
Northwestern
West Virginia
Houston
San Jose State
SDSU (Old stadium)
Rose Bowl
Coliseum
Sun Bowl (UTEP)
ASU
Notre Dame

Reser would rank above
SDSU (Jack Murphy)
SJSU
and
Northwestern

Heard how intimidating a place it was from Beaver fans on the Twitter for over a week. How UNLV wasn't ready for a real P5 environment. I'm like we played freaking Michigan last year.

WSU fans are pretty laid back on the Twitter.

A large contingent of Beaver fans not so much.

We are a P5 school!

I mean maybe if they stare into a mirror and say it three times they can wish it into existence.

Your boys are having a nice year. Could get into the playoff mix..

Last edited:
I should say, never been to SDSU new stadium. And I don't remember for sure if I've been to the new CSU stadium. I don't think so. So those two withstanding.

There's very little personality in the MWC stadiums. It's the energy from the crowd and team performance that helps that. There is no mystique to any exception possibly the Blue out in Boise. Obvious the Big 10, Pac 12, etc., have a little more on their side for history and mystique. Being in some feels special. None in MWC have that. LaVell Edward's Stadium kinda had that feel, actually.

I'll be honest.

I don't think outside of the 'cathedrals' of collage football that football stadiums in general have the same allure as baseball parks.

Notre Dame you felt the history. West Virginia it got loud..Like real loud. The sheer size of Michigan and Ohio State was impressive.

But otherwise they all feel the same to me.

I've been to and worked at every MWC stadium,

Tly.

Is this why your handle is Loco? Canvas opened 7 years ago and you can't remember if you've been there? Is Peyote prevalent down there in the desert? :)

I'll be honest.

I don't think outside of the 'cathedrals' of collage football that football stadiums in general have the same allure as baseball parks.

Notre Dame you felt the history. West Virginia it got loud..Like real loud. The sheer size of Michigan and Ohio State was impressive.

But otherwise they all feel the same to me.
Well the best part about Martin Stadium (WSU) is that the rather large RV lot is RIGHT across the street. Oh gawd, the tales I could tell about the drunkenness there over game weekends. Depending on your seat and your RV spot, you could sprint out at halftime, chug a beer or two, and still almost catch the 2nd half kickoff.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Well the best part about Martin Stadium (WSU) is that the rather large RV lot is RIGHT across the street. Oh gawd, the tales I could tell about the drunkenness there over game weekends. Depending on your seat and your RV spot, you could sprint out at halftime, chug a beer or two, and still almost catch the 2nd half kickoff.
You leave Allegiant stadium, and you can't get back in!

Carrier Dome (Now JMA Wireless Dome) got renovated over last few seasons.

We lost 6500 seats due to going to all individual chairbacks but new ADA compliance really affected capacity too. (Wider aisles and lots more ADA areas)

That might have played into it for OSU

Been to quite a few stadiums in my time. I never understood the hate for SBS. When it got full, it was loud and a good college environment. For some reason people blamed the stadium instead of the admin for sucking ass.

Every time somebody posted how terrible the amenities were at Sam Boyd I questioned if they had ever been to any other stadiums.

Location? Sure. Wasn't ideal.

But the Stadium itself was fine. One of the best tailgate areas with Star Nursery field.

Every time somebody posted how terrible the amenities were at Sam Boyd I questioned if they had ever been to any other stadiums.

Location? Sure. Wasn't ideal.

But the Stadium itself was fine. One of the best tailgate areas with Star Nursery field.
I didn't mind SBS, nor the location. When going to games from UNLV, it was a bit out of the way, but not terrible. I can see it being a bit difficult if you live on the west end of town, but other than that, it was easy to get in and out of the parking lots. It was fine. The teams just weren't very good when we played there.

You could definitely say that it wasn't a stadium that would lure in recruits, since it wasn't anything too special (like Allegiant) but I don't know that it was as bad as many made it out to be.

Is this why your handle is Loco? Canvas opened 7 years ago and you can't remember if you've been there? Is Peyote prevalent down there in the desert? :)
🤣🤣🤣

I couldn't remember if the last time I was there whether the it was the last year of the old one or the first year of the new one. But maybe it was actually when they first announced Canvas.

I left my position in 2016, so whatever the math is on that 😂

I didn't like tailgating in 104 degrees but loved walking into A/C at Allegiant.

We need to get a new H/H set up with you guys. Love to show off the Cuse Dome to you guys

Been to quite a few stadiums in my time. I never understood the hate for SBS. When it got full, it was loud and a good college environment. For some reason people blamed the stadium instead of the admin for sucking ass.
My only complaint were the stadium seats.

I remember SBS pre-upgrades. The media box was a dump, carpet was torn up. I remember being in the last row in the south end and it was cold as shit in the Horton era, place was packed so it must have been Hortons first year at unlv.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT