ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Nationally

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwsn7022012

Lottery Pick
Jun 27, 2013
Why does Tony Sanchez limit where we recruit to mainly California, Texas (Houston), and Nevada? UNLV is a national brand, and Las Vegas is a(n) (inter)national city. We could get plenty of Florida and Georgia kids to come here.

Why does Tony Sanchez limit where we recruit to mainly California, Texas (Houston), and Nevada? UNLV is a national brand, and Las Vegas is a(n) (inter)national city. We could get plenty of Florida and Georgia kids to come here.

Boise is more of a National brand than UNLV is and they stick with cali, az, nv and grab a couple out of TX. I think UNLV could grab a few recruits out of TX since there are so many players there. But UNLV needs to start winning first and then the recruiting budget grows and the recruiting net over the country grows.

Because most schools recruit regionally. Look at most major programs, they typically recruit in this order: state, region and then pipelines. There are exceptions like Oregon, who doesn't have the population/talent pool to recruit state first.

Right now we have a solid pipeline into Texas namely the Houston area. Cornett, DeVante Davis, Lex and Xzavier Camplbell.

We are not a national brand in football. My brother and I go on numerous road trips for UNLV football games.The common perception nationally is that UNLV is a joke in football. At best opposing fans will sometimes say 'I remember when you guys used to be good in basketball'.

We could not get 'plenty' of players from Florida and Georgia right now, for a number of reasons. They aren't going to pass playing in the SEC/ACC to play in the MWC. Maybe if we got a P5 invite to Pac or Big 12 it could happen. Any player that would, is probably a 2/3* player. We can accomplish getting 2/3* kids out of Cal/Tex/Hawaii.

Like I said earlier, most schools (barring a few exceptions like Oregon) recruit in to out. State, region and then pipeline states. Alabama has two players from California the rest of their roster is filled with Florida, Louisiana, Virginia, Alabama etc. Football rosters are regional in construction.

Basketball with all the AAU/travel teams creates a different element in its recruiting.

Until UNLV football improves drastically, we aren't going to start plucking players out from under Florida, FSU, Geogia, Georgia Tech. Those players don't give two craps about the glitz of Las Vegas. If players cared about that type of stuff why would they go to Morgantown West Virginia? or Tuscaloosa? or any of the other small 'campus towns'.

When it comes to football, UNLV is far closer to a national joke than a national brand. I hope to see this perception change under coach Sanchez, but for now it is the truth.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Do you realize how many schools recruit Georgia and Florida?

All we'd have to do is land a few two and three star players. Even those players are good.

Why are they different than the 2/3* kids from Texas and California?

If you have any ideas on how UNLV can break into that region, I am sure the staff with over 100 years of coaching/recruiting experience would love to hear them.

Coach Samuel has some Forida ties so maybe we can land a player or two. But Florida isn't all of a sudden going to become a pipeline state for us.

Until UNLV football improves drastically, we aren't going to start plucking players out from under Florida, FSU, Geogia, Georgia Tech. Those players don't give two craps about the glitz of Las Vegas. If players cared about that type of stuff why would they go to Morgantown West Virginia? or Tuscaloosa? or any of the other small 'campus towns'.
You were good until you ripped on WVU...

We've gotten players out of the south before, but it was a coach connection that landed us the player.... off the top of my head I can remember Jeremi Rudolph (Florida)and Troy Mason (Mississippi)...both from Jrob's tenure, I think. That said, getting an assistant coach with connections would be needed to recruit that area, and most coaches this far west aren't looking to recruit from that area. I like recruiting from Texas, California, and of course NV....Sanchez has been offering in Utah as well, and also HawaiI and the Islands. There's no reason to have to go all the way to Florida for a kid, when you have a region that has plenty of talent.

You were good until you ripped on WVU...

Morgantown was a blast. I had a great time there, minus the ass kicking we took in the game. Oh and when they played the banjo song during the game and a dude turned around and asked if we had seen the movie 'Deliverance' and informed us it was filmed just down the way.

It's the little things that West Virginians are proud of.

I have several family members what have attended the school so that's my "second school," so to speak.

Like I said it was a great time. I actually left feeling extremely envious of their game day experience.

Like I said it was a great time. I actually left feeling extremely envious of their game day experience.
I've never been to a football game there so I don't know that experience. I did hear that their fans, typically, are less than cordial to other school's fans but I'm sure a 42-point margin took the edge off.

I've never been to a football game there so I don't know that experience. I did hear that their fans, typically, are less than cordial to other school's fans but I'm sure a 42-point margin took the edge off.

If you are a Pitt or Va Tech fan you probably don't want to go there wearing any gear. They were really cool with us though since UNLV posed zero threat. When you come out to a tailgate this year my brother and I can tell you some pretty funny stories about that trip.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
If you are a Pitt or Va Tech fan you probably don't want to go there wearing any gear. They were really cool with us though since UNLV posed zero threat. When you come out to a tailgate this year my brother and I can tell you some pretty funny stories about that trip.
Where are you guys at? I'm gonna make at least a couple next season. Hoping you're near the one that the Rebel Net people put together.

Part of the reason is we don't have a unlimited recruiting budget like a lot of the P5 schools. Just like in business you have to focus your attention on a targeted area where your people have the connections.

Part of the reason is we don't have a unlimited recruiting budget like a lot of the P5 schools. Just like in business you have to focus your attention on a targeted area where your people have the connections.
We would only need to spend $750,000 on recruiting.

I don't know where you came up with that figure but the whole budget for the football program is about 3.2m and we are losing money at that. Where does the extra money come from and where do the coaches come up with the long time contacts needs to get a high school coach to tell recruits you can trust the recruiter.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I don't know where you came up with that figure but the whole budget for the football program is about 3.2m and we are losing money at that. Where does the extra money come from and where do the coaches come up with the long time contacts needs to get a high school coach to tell recruits you can trust the recruiter.
I think the dynamics and financial state are things that a lot of people don't fully understand (myself included).

Money solves a ton of issues.

Dude, when you are on the losing side sometimes its better to throw in the towel.

Alabama recruits regionally. Texas recruits regionally. Michigan recruits regionally. Florida State recruits regionally. TCU recruits regionally. USC recruits regionally. Barring a couple of exceptions schools recruit state, region and then pipeline. 750k would wipe out nearly half of the largest donation UNLV has ever received.

If Sanchez and Co. thought they could successfully recruit that area they would.

Dude, when you are on the losing side sometimes its better to throw in the towel.

Alabama recruits regionally. Texas recruits regionally. Michigan recruits regionally. Florida State recruits regionally. TCU recruits regionally. USC recruits regionally. Barring a couple of exceptions schools recruit state, region and then pipeline. 750k would wipe out nearly half of the largest donation UNLV has ever received.

If Sanchez and Co. thought they could successfully recruit that area they would.
Michigan only had six players from the Midwest in their 2016 recruiting class. They brought in twenty-nine players. Alabama recruits regionally because they play in the South which has the highest concentration of talent. The rest of the schools you mentioned recruit in-state because there isn't really a need to look out of state.

Michigan only had six players from the Midwest in their 2016 recruiting class. They brought in twenty-nine players. Alabama recruits regionally because they play in the South which has the highest concentration of talent. The rest of the schools you mentioned recruit in-state because there isn't really a need to look out of state.

You left out the six players from NJ plus the kid from Maryland. I am guessing you aren't counting that as regional despite both states being as close to Michigan as many 'midwestern' states. Semantics.

Michigan has a pipeline into Florida. They built that up over the years. It doesn't happen overnight. Another reason the SEC threw a fit when Jim H. instituted his satellite camps.

Do we have Michigan's athletic budget?

No

Do we have Michigan's history?

No

Have we ever reached the heights Michigan has in football.

No

So what makes you think we can recruit like Michigan? Or any other top end P5 school.

Simply put we don't recruit Florida extensively because we don't currently have the budget or the name brand to attract kids out here. Players want to win.

A number of people have explained why we don't heavily recruit the area. It is not going to happen overnight if ever.

Coach Samuel the defensive line coach has some Georgia ties having coached in the state.. He would have connections there, would have built some relationships with recruits. He would have a pretty good idea of whether or not UNLV could recruit the area. Based on this years recruiting so far the answer to that is no.

Basketball and football recruiting are completely different animals.

Last edited:
We've gotten players out of the south before, but it was a coach connection that landed us the player.... off the top of my head I can remember Jeremi Rudolph (Florida)and Troy Mason (Mississippi)...both from Jrob's tenure, I think. That said, getting an assistant coach with connections would be needed to recruit that area, and most coaches this far west aren't looking to recruit from that area. I like recruiting from Texas, California, and of course NV....Sanchez has been offering in Utah as well, and also HawaiI and the Islands. There's no reason to have to go all the way to Florida for a kid, when you have a region that has plenty of talent.

You forgot Droplin (Rodelin) Anthony.

You left out the six players from NJ plus the kid from Maryland. I am guessing you aren't counting that as regional despite both states being as close to Michigan as many 'midwestern' states. Semantics.

Michigan has a pipeline into Florida. They built that up over the years. It doesn't happen overnight. Another reason the SEC threw a fit when Jim H. instituted his satellite camps.

No

No

No

So what makes you think we can recruit like Michigan? Or any other top end P5 school.

Simply put we don't recruit Florida extensively because we don't currently have the budget or the name brand to attract kids out here. Players want to win.

A number of people have explained why we don't heavily recruit the area. It is not going to happen overnight if ever.

Coach Samuel the defensive line coach has some Georgia ties having coached in the state.. He would have connections there, would have built some relationships with recruits. He would have a pretty good idea of whether or not UNLV could recruit the area. Based on this years recruiting so far the answer to that is no.

When did I say that we have to recruit four and five star players? All we have to do is get a few two and three star players.

No

No

No

The US government doesn't define Maryland and New Jersey as being part of the Midwest. You may be the only person who does.

The US government doesn't define Maryland and New Jersey as being part of the Midwest. You may be the only person who does.

You are debating semantics. They are as geographically close to Michigan as some midwestern states. I never said they were 'midwestern' states. You knew exactly the point being made.They are geographically closer to Michigan than UNLV is to Florida and Georgia.

Your assertion that we could successfully recruit the Florida/Georgia area right now was wrong.

You are debating semantics. They are as geographically close to Michigan as some midwestern states. I never said they were 'midwestern' states. You knew exactly the point being made.They are geographically closer to Michigan than UNLV is to Florida and Georgia.

Your assertion that we could successfully recruit the Florida/Georgia area right now was wrong.
It's not wrong at all. Many kids in Florida and Georgia would jump at the opportunity to play in Las Vegas if big time schools such as Florida, Florida State, and Georgia didn't want them.

It's not wrong at all. Many kids in Florida and Georgia would jump at the opportunity to play in Las Vegas if big time schools such as Florida, Florida State, and Georgia didn't want them.
lol what? are you new to recruiting? UNLV needs to win some big games before that is the case... or at the very least get a new stadium

You are wrong. Period.

You are also leaving out FIU, FAU, Georgia State which are schools similar to UNLV in status. Not to mention Georgia Tech and USF. Plus those players are also being recruited by other SEC schools and ACC schools.

UNLV is on a budget. UNLV has plenty of players in the Hawaii, Texas, California, Utah, and Arizona area to recruit. UNLV has made around 100 offers to players for the 2017 season. If a player from outside of these areas shows the desire to play at UNLV, I am sure they will consider him, but they are not going to run around the country looking for recruits with the financial and time constraints that they have (Texas is outside of the region. but UNLV has had connections to the Houston area for years that make it worth the time).

Still, according to this site, they have made some offers to players outside of the immediate region (offers of opportunity):

UNLV has had several players in the past from Canada, and has also brought in transfers from outside of their region.

Kurt Taylor from Coventon, Georgia - Michigan commit
Jeremiah Holloman from Coventon, Georgia - Georgia/Tenn most likely
Jaquan Henderson from Coventon, Georgia - one site says commit to UCLA, other site shows most likely Tenn and not considering UCLA

(Package deal is most likely why they tried for the above - but not sure if they even made a visit)

Tre Lawson South Carolina - most likely South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT