ADVERTISEMENT

Receiving Corps

DocRebel

Lottery Pick
Aug 9, 2003
I expect this group to emerge more this week since I think Cotton and Sanchez plan to focus more on the passing game. Sanchez mentioned in his presser yesterday they will likely try to pass more this week. So it sounds like they won't be holding anything back offensively with Palandech, which I'm glad to hear.

I'm hoping to see Presley start emerging more Saturday and as the season progresses. He caught a pass against UNR even though he made the "freshman mistake" of cutting his route short of the sticks.

Boyd looked fantastic against N. Illinois minus dropping that critical pass on the final drive, but other than breaking loose once or twice on Michigan, Boyd has been relatively quiet compared to last season.

Criswell has made a couple of nice plays on special teams and has caught 1 or 2 good deep balls, but he hasn't grabbed as many on offense as I would like to see.

Overall this group needs to elevate its play-making performance and I think they will starting this week. The offense has looked strong for spots but then has sputtered for too many stretches.

Last edited:
The performance is due to many factors. I think we saw the potential in the passing game against NIU. Then against UCLA against a tough Defense and with Palandech thrown into the fire they werent given much chance.

We now see how good Michigan's defense truly is and Boyd had a decent game. Idaho State we really didnt need to throw so all the WR's were taken out of the game by halftime.

Against Reno the guys made some catches for first downs and I saw Cotton lay into Decker on a 3rd down where he threw to the check down rather than going deep. Now that we are in conference play this group "should" have some more room to get open, as the line will be able to hold up better in pass protect as well. Lets hope the breakthrough in the passing game is this Saturday.

Reactions: DocRebel
Agreed. I think Palandech will surprise us this week. I can see him playing his best game so far and throwing around 200 yards. Between the RBs and Palandech's ability to run, SJSU will focus heavy on containing the ground attack. That should open up some lanes for the WRs to do their thing and get open. With the majority of reps this week Palandech will be ready.

Last edited:
It's imperative we get out fast and claim the lead. I think our WRs will see a lot of single coverage as SJSU focuses on stopping the run. The more they have to throw to catch up the less damage Ervin can do to us.

This week Palandech doesnt have to come out and sling the ball all over. He just needs to be effective enough to keep the D honest and I think if he can , like you said end up around 180-200 yards that should be enough to let the RB's do most the damage. Would like to see some throws to the TE's as well in the middle of the park.

I think Palandech is much better QB than he's shown us. Whether it's jitters from being thrust into the UCLA game or just now being "the man" or even not having the scheme designed around him and his style (versus Decker), he is better than what we've seen.

Looking at his HUDL videos again and his JC stats, lead me to believe that Kurt can play given the time and right circumstances. I know that it was said that he had a poor fall camp so maybe he just needs more time and adjustment to FBS game. Hopefully, he can get there quickly because it appears he has the tools to be a good QB.

Thoughts on Palandech?

PmyZpdR.jpg

The spring and fall practices I saw Palandech has good arm strength. His issue was trusting the throws. He appeared so afraid to make a mistake , he wouldnt allow himself to make the easy throws.

He would look pretty bad for an entire team period then all of the sudden put together 3 or 4 throws that were pretty nice. I think he just needs that confidence. A couple easy throws early. Wouldnt mind seeing Boyd sent deep early in the game and let one fly as well. I also believe the O Line holding up better against MW defensive fronts will help the passing game overall as well.

The TD pass Palandech threw against Idaho State was money. And the first throw he made against UNR was nice too. I anticipate Cotton will give Palandech more throws on 1st downs this game which we really haven't seen much of when he's been in. If Boyd is in single coverage I would hope Cotton has Palandech sending a few balls deep via air mail.

His numbers good even though he was sacked 18 times. Seems like he had to carry the team when he was in juco.

when know one knows about you and your the #2 guy behind Devante Davis you see a lot of single coverage and usually lined up against the 2nd 3rd or 4th best CB on the given team. Now hes getting to go up against the teams #1 CB and usually seeing double teams. makes a huge difference, his routes need to be crisper and a healthy passing QB would help.

when know one knows about you and your the #2 guy behind Devante Davis you see a lot of single coverage and usually lined up against the 2nd 3rd or 4th best CB on the given team. Now hes getting to go up against the teams #1 CB and usually seeing double teams. makes a huge difference, his routes need to be crisper and a healthy passing QB would help.
I would agree with Davis part except he actually performed well when Davis was hurt and missed a considerable amount of time.

Facing two of the top defenses in the country has played a huge role in his production drop. Better DB's, better pass rush all factors in. We didn't throw the ball nearly the entire second half vs Idaho Stat so that was basically a lost game.

I agree though QB play has a lot to do with his lack of production. Both Decker and Palandech have to be better. It would really help if Keys could make a couple more big catches like he did vs Reno and maybe start pulling some coverage his way.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT