ADVERTISEMENT

Press Conference

rebel5280

Rebel Legend
Feb 26, 2006
I liked when he said the "current guys" are his priority and all starts with them!
I also like that he is open to looking at current staff as well, Cormier and Skipper come to mind here if he doesn't pull his own DC and WR coaches over.

Another strong response was when he was asked would have still come here if there was no new stadium.. he said Yes!

He was not my first choice at all but he is here now and now I like the rest of you will get to see if he is up to task.

If I am willing to give Otz a chance to get things going, I will also give Arroyo a chance as well.

I liked when he said the "current guys" are his priority and all starts with them!
I also like that he is open to looking at current staff as well, Cormier and Skipper come to mind here if he doesn't pull his own DC and WR coaches over.

Another strong response was when he was asked would have still come here if there was no new stadium.. he said Yes!

He was not my first choice at all but he is here now and now I like the rest of you will get to see if he is up to task.

If I am willing to give Otz a chance to get things going, I will also give Arroyo a chance as well.

Skipper is an option. Justice back to just OL coach also an option. He is well liked by his players.

I wouldn't be high on Skipper coming back as DC. There was so little improvement on defense with him, I would like to see a fresh start on that side of the ball. Zero pash rush. Struggle to create turn overs. Nothing really improved over what Baer was producing.

Yeah but was he free to do what he wanted or was he handcuffed?
Skipper could be a decent Dc who knows but if he comes back as LB coach that would be fine too.

Yeah but was he free to do what he wanted or was he handcuffed?
Skipper could be a decent Dc who knows but if he comes back as LB coach that would be fine too.

Don't know about being handcuffed. Possible.

Good recruiter and position coach. In that capacity that would be cool.

I’m more interested to see what happens at the QB spot. Have to admit I don’t know a lot about what type of offense Arroyo runs, but I am curious as to which one of our current or future QB’s fit his offense.

I’m more interested to see what happens at the QB spot. Have to admit I don’t know a lot about what type of offense Arroyo runs, but I am curious as to which one of our current or future QB’s fit his offense.

I think he will adapt.

Its a very crowded QB room.

If Brumfield stays committed, and it looks like he will, that's 6 scholarship guys for one position.

I would not be surprised to see somebody transfer out. Maybe Gilliam.

I'd rather have an ex Quarterback (starter with numbers) evaluating talent than a ex WR. Plus he owes nobody nothing positions must be earned.

I liked what I saw solid introduction. No trepidation he seems poised with some fire in the belly plus he has what the kids call, "street cred". Ex player, well traveled (old farts thinks this is a negative but this is the world we live in, do your time get your experience move on pad the resume), he'll be coaching the #6 team in the nation in the Grand Daddy of all bowl games, the Rose Bowl.

UNLV's best chance to succeed since J Robinson.

Best question IMO came from Chris Maathuis Channel 8. He asked CMA, What makes you different ? The last 30 years UNLV has had Coaches that were Legends (JRob), Hot Shot O.C. (MSanford) etc. without real success. The answer wasn't impressive but, hopefully his actions are and they lead us to a Wining record sooner that later!

Reactions: CRhodes2020
I'd rather have an ex Quarterback (starter with numbers) evaluating talent than a ex WR. Plus he owes nobody nothing positions must be earned.

I liked what I saw solid introduction. No trepidation he seems poised with some fire in the belly plus he has what the kids call, "street cred". Ex player, well traveled (old farts thinks this is a negative but this is the world we live in, do your time get your experience move on pad the resume), he'll be coaching the #6 team in the nation in the Grand Daddy of all bowl games, the Rose Bowl.

UNLV's best chance to succeed since J Robinson.

He has the best opportunity to succeed that's for sure..

Best question IMO came from Chris Maathuis Channel 8. He asked CMA, What makes you different ? The last 30 years UNLV has had Coaches that were Legends (JRob), Hot Shot O.C. (MSanford) etc. without real success. The answer wasn't impressive but, hopefully his actions are and they lead us to a Wining record sooner that later!
You don't want to throw people under the bus I think he was erring on side of caution as not to offend.

I just want to have a winning team Ive only witnessed 1 winning season 2013, have i been a fan watching the team on tv not really ( get really emotional) but on unlv and our current recruits and former yes

we need a defense tough nose defense that will punish MWC teams, a offense that will not make penalty's and score. Same for defense on penalty's

it will be interesting on what players transfer out and who stays

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Skipper is an option. Justice back to just OL coach also an option. He is well liked by his players.

I wouldn't be high on Skipper coming back as DC. There was so little improvement on defense with him, I would like to see a fresh start on that side of the ball. Zero pash rush. Struggle to create turn overs. Nothing really improved over what Baer was producing.
I would like to see Justice retained (as OL)... I think that was one of the best hires by Sanchez -and really has been a strong part of this team while he's been here. I also agree with getting a fresh start on D - if not at least moving around. Skipper to LBs if willing... if wanting to retain him. ??

I would like to see Justice retained (as OL)... I think that was one of the best hires by Sanchez -and really has been a strong part of this team while he's been here. I also agree with getting a fresh start on D - if not at least moving around. Skipper to LBs if willing... if wanting to retain him. ??

It would depend on what UNLV could pay him. Skipper is considered a good recruiter, I think he could get more at a P5 school as a position coach than what UNLV could pay.

I think retaining Justice as an OL coach would be good a solid move. Both he and Garrison had that unit playing pretty well.

Three spots I'm most interested in are OC/DC and strength and conditioning coach.

Considering UNLV is now paying $1.5 million a year, that will put them up near the top of the MWC in regards to pay!

It would depend on what UNLV could pay him. Skipper is considered a good recruiter, I think he could get more at a P5 school as a position coach than what UNLV could pay.

I think retaining Justice as an OL coach would be good a solid move. Both he and Garrison had that unit playing pretty well.

Three spots I'm most interested in are OC/DC and strength and conditioning coach.
I'd love to be able to go get Garrison back. He's at NC State now, no reason to come back here... I think retaining Justice could be good, but really it depends on who else is available. If he thinks he has a guy somewhere who is a better fit, of course gotta go with him.

As for the other guys on staff... Skipper would be great to keep on staff if he is willing to go back to LB-only. I don't necessarily think he would be a bad DC, but I like I mentioned with Justice, if there's a guy who Arroyo thinks is his guy for DC (maybe one of the co-DCs at Oregon?), hard to imagine him retaining the guy who had a bottom 30 defense two years running.

While I don't think anybody on staff is untouchable, I think the most untouchable is Cormier. If he's content remaining as WR coach and as recruiting coordinator, I think it would behoove Arroyo to keep in there. Cormier has been loved by his players under Hauck and under Sanchez and has consistently brought in the most talented guys under both staffs.

I'd love to be able to go get Garrison back. He's at NC State now, no reason to come back here... I think retaining Justice could be good, but really it depends on who else is available. If he thinks he has a guy somewhere who is a better fit, of course gotta go with him.

As for the other guys on staff... Skipper would be great to keep on staff if he is willing to go back to LB-only. I don't necessarily think he would be a bad DC, but I like I mentioned with Justice, if there's a guy who Arroyo thinks is his guy for DC (maybe one of the co-DCs at Oregon?), hard to imagine him retaining the guy who had a bottom 30 defense two years running.

While I don't think anybody on staff is untouchable, I think the most untouchable is Cormier. If he's content remaining as WR coach and as recruiting coordinator, I think it would behoove Arroyo to keep in there. Cormier has been loved by his players under Hauck and under Sanchez and has consistently brought in the most talented guys under both staffs.
Totally agree on retaining Cormier- I actually was making that a given, but I guess I shouldn’t.

Reactions: LocoRebel

Agreed..

Other than Drink at Missouri (I think it's maybe 10 seconds in), I think it's generally hard not to win these pressers.

He does seem like a good hire for this job, for sure.
It’s very difficult to lose a press conference. It’s polished and it’s one primary speech that is slightly tweaked from coach to coach, they all spew out the same thing. They’re disingenuous but necessary.

Reactions: CRhodes2020
It’s very difficult to lose a press conference. It’s polished and it’s one primary speech that is slightly tweaked from coach to coach, they all spew out the same thing. They’re disingenuous but necessary.

Yeah, there was a little hesitation when he was asked if he would have took taken Rebels Head Coaching job if not for the FF Complex and Allegiant stadium.

Yeah, there was a little hesitation when he was asked if he would have took taken Rebels Head Coaching job if not for the FF Complex and Allegiant stadium.
Shouldn’t be hesitation. Be honest.

No. Those two are a part of the package that makes the job attractive enough to take.

... eh, so many worried about perception, being PC. What’s wrong the with the truth?

'We're going to be physical'

Is a common mantra....

Waiting for the guy that says 'We will be a finesse team'
Isn’t it refreshing though when you get some truth instead of repackaged drivel? We’ve been long conditioned to expect the canned responses as something exciting, as absolutely truth ... and any deviation from it is considered bizarre or even potentially offensive.

That’s why I like Barkley. I mean he’s an idiot a lot of the time; but he lets you know what he’s thinking. I appreciate that.

Reactions: RebelMan5000
Well, if that's what it takes to get a good coach, so be it. Facilities make a big difference re: whether coaches & players want to come here or not. Whatever, looks like DRF made a good choice. Hope it works out, but I esp. think most work has to be done on improving the Rebel defense.

You don't want to throw people under the bus I think he was erring on side of caution as not to offend.

Agreed. We had a big booster shell out 8 figures based on a friendship. Attacking their dude might turn them sour to the current coach. I think UNLV can’t afford to alienate one of their wealthiest boosters.

I totally spaced that Garrison actually was a cornerstone of the OL... you guys were nice enough of softly call me out or at least point to that important fact.
Stating the obvious, but i'm old school in the fact that we will win championships in the trenches. Curious to see how that plays out on the staff selection

I totally spaced that Garrison actually was a cornerstone of the OL... you guys were nice enough of softly call me out or at least point to that important fact.
Stating the obvious, but i'm old school in the fact that we will win championships in the trenches. Curious to see how that plays out on the staff selection

Easy to miss...

Personally I think there has been a significant drop off since Garrison left in Line play. Our Line talent has seemingly gotten more seasoned, bigger, and with more depth. Though our pass protection has been bad and we just haven't been getting the same holes for our runners (regardless of QB) since he left.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT