ADVERTISEMENT

Practice Facility

shanep

NBA Draft Pick
Apr 5, 2005
Has anyone seen the youtube video of the practice facility? It was posted on the UNLV Athletics youtube account.

Here's the link:

It's been a go for some time according to people close to the program. The only obstacle/hurdle was the money and way it was going to be financed.

So do we take it as a good sign that they finally released the video that the funding is mostly secure?

Very nice! I didn't notice a Rebel Hall of Fame. Although we don't have much history or tradition, we have had some pretty good players over the years.

Thought they were trying to get money for indoor practice facility or was the plan they wanted build?

So do we take it as a good sign that they finally released the video that the funding is mostly secure?

From what I understand there was a promise of X amount of dollars. UNLV was asked to raise as much as possible and donor would cover remaining balance. I could be wrong but some of the delay for UNLV's portion was the financing. This isn't gospel just things I was overhearing at spring practices from folks around and covering the program.

So yes this is a very good sign.

Thought they were trying to get money for indoor practice facility or was the plan they wanted build?

Facility is indoor. Practice fields remain outside. Sanchez said no reason for covered facility. Despite being hot, weather never impacts practices like rain or snow would.

Also saved $ on overall construction cost.

Should have been built during the Wayne Nunnely era but the admin is too busy trying to destroy the basketball team. Then during the Boom of the 90's we are so lucky to have old hag Harter who wanted UNLV to be Harvard of the West.

I'm watching Houston v Oklahoma right now. We should have been at least at the level of Houston right now if we only had good leadership at UNLV.

Reactions: depuppy3
That's exactly what I was telling my brother a few minutes ago. Poor foresight and pathetic leadership has lead to our current position. Thankfully Sanchez and his backers are here to turn the program around. Hope it's not too late to catch the last bus to P5, or P4 as it will end up being

Reactions: mvvsmith
Should have been built during the Wayne Nunnely era but the admin is too busy trying to destroy the basketball team. Then during the Boom of the 90's we are so lucky to have old hag Harter who wanted UNLV to be Harvard of the West.

I'm watching Houston v Oklahoma right now. We should have been at least at the level of Houston right now if we only had good leadership at UNLV.
Well, Houston should be at the LSU or Alabama level..... they have Texas HS football to recruit from and are in a city that's nearly 3 times as populous as LV. I get your point though, we should be exponentially better as a FB program, no doubt about it.

Considering the level of high school talent in the Las Vegas valley, with back to back LV wins over the number 1 team in Texas, I believe there is more than enough current talent to turn UNLV into a top 25 team in the future. The big question is if we can get the training facilities, stadium, and better attendance to justify the better players staying at home. It also wouldn't hurt if we can show movement in the direction of the PAC12 in the future.

Considering the level of high school talent in the Las Vegas valley, with back to back LV wins over the number 1 team in Texas, I believe there is more than enough current talent to turn UNLV into a top 25 team in the future. The big question is if we can get the training facilities, stadium, and better attendance to justify the better players staying at home. It also wouldn't hurt if we can show movement in the direction of the PAC12 in the future.

University of Houston has had some obstacles themselves.

Sure they are in Houston, which is now the 3rd most populous city in the country and has conservatively top 5 HS football talent. However, they are the red headed step child when it comes to the pecking order of college football. No 1 and 2 are Texas and A&M (arguable who is the favorite) then it's Texas Tech, maybe, and oh, every other power school in the country, then its UH.

UH has struggled to get fans to games. A few years ago I went to a UT vs Rice game in Houston early in the season. I was sitting next to a bunch of UH students rooting for Texas who were there instead of going to their own UH game.

Now things have changed. Tom Herman is one hell of a coach, and has created quite the turn around. They got their new stadium a couple of years back. Now they are rolling big time. Likely joining the Big 12, they have a huge financial booster in Fertitta (who openly and transparently gives them gobs of money), and they will likely no longer be mid major by the end of the season.

Now UH's rise could give UNLV hope. A new stadium/practice facility, the right coach could really bolster their prospects of joining the big boy party. Houston has some advantages. Much bigger TV market (though it is diluted by other schools, though the same can be said with LV), better recruiting area, better football culture, both recent and historically.

Though both schools have similar academic prestige, Vegas is becoming a good recruiting market, Vegas is a good TV market, etc. The Big 12 is easier to get into vs the Pac, which is a hurdle, and the Big 12 probably won't expand again for a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT