ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Local Prospects

DocRebel

Lottery Pick
Aug 9, 2003
I watched two of RJ Hubert's football games for Moapa last fall and loved his athleticism and play-making. I see he just won the state championship 110 meter hurdles this past week. He'll be a senior next season and i'm hoping UNLV takes a serious look at him. Here's his junior football highlights. He's a finesse and physical athlete with good size.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3191630/highlights/191491392/v2

Last edited:
UNR just offered Hubert.

UNR signed a Moapa player last year (6'5" bruiser OL Mat McDermand), and now they're going after Hubert. Hopefully UNLV intervenes with an offer because I've seen this guy perform in person. He's legit and I'd like to see him stay home in Vegas.

Last edited:
WR will be a position we need to address as well. With Boyd and Keys being Juniors Next year and losing Williams and Criswell we will need some quality players to come in for 2016.

It does appear that Sanchez has been ramping up the local recruiting over the last few weeks. I would be happy if he can pick up about 8-10 locals this year.

Reactions: DocRebel
Out of curiosity, I researched more on Hubert. In his junior year, besides earning football MVP of the D-1A Nevada division, in track & field he clocks 14.8 in the 110 meter hurdles--39", and long jumps 23-2. In other words, he's a really athletic kid.

Found this quote from his coach made last year in a LVRJ article:

“He is a Division I athlete,” Moapa Valley coach Brent Lewis said of Hubert, who also intercepted a pass and had a tackle for loss. “And if the college coaches don’t take notice, they’re crazy.” http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/football/hubert-moapa-valley-breeze-past-elko-gain-i-title-berth

My own opinion is if Reno gets him they'll be adding a hell of a player. These are the types of dynamic locals UNLV needs to snatch up that in the past have fallen through the cracks way too much.

web1_webPREPS-STATE-TRACK_051515jk_001_4.jpg

Coach Sanchez seems to have turned up the recruiting efforts at home the last week. I agree this is the type of player I would like to keep home especially if it means Reno doesn't get them.

From everything I have read on the kid he projects more at the WR position but could transition to defensive back. WR will be an important spot next year, Boyd and Keys will be Juniors and they will need to start grooming eventual replacements.

Maybe Will can elaborate more on this but I think one issue for some of the skill position players in Las Vegas, is average to below average QB play in the Valley right now outside of 1 or 2 guys. I could be wrong but I rarely see much hype surrounding any QBs not named Martell. Christian Lopez put up nice numbers his junior year but tailed off in a big way last season (injury?). Pretty sure I read somewhere he is going to try and walk on at UNLV.

No injury, just a lack of experienced targets last season and trusting his legs too much. Being 5'11 hurt Christian Lopez's options but he is #2 in career yards and #2 in yards in a single season as a passer behind Anu Solomon. His brother Emir led Las Vegas to the title game as a senior but was also 5'11 and landed as a walk-on with Nevada the same year Kaepernick took over.

Drew Doxtator and Randall Cunningham were in the 2014 class. Cunningham opted for track but had huge potential on the football field while Doxtator shunned his offers to take a preferred walk on at USC. Things didn't work out and left him at a JC. Over confidence and knee injuries damaged his career. I don't see him bouncing back from here but he was a very good prospect preinjury earning 5 offers.

Moapa Valley's Zach Hymas was outstanding last year and will be headed to Weber State after his Mormon mission from the 2015 class.
Gorman's backup Danny Hong is expected to attend Columbia. Physically talented but purely a pocket passer that didn't bring the dual threat of Martell.

This year Moapa's Nate Cox is the major one to watch among player with experience. He looked impressive as a starter down the stretch with Hymas injured tossing 9 touchdowns to only 1 interceptions.
Green Valley's Xavier Jarvis is a player to watch this year as a dual threat athlete at the position taking over for Lopez.
Foothill's Devon Mueller, Cheyenne's Anthony McConnico and Eldorado's Devin Dabbs are very good D2/NAIA prospects. Mueller and/or McConnico can rise to be attractive to lower FBS or FCS programs with more efficient play.

Marckell Grayson is another very productive player in the 2017 class with Martell

2018: Liberty's Kenyon Oblad has a BYU offer and Gorman's Dorian Thompson has a UNLV offer.

If Jarvis plays up to par, Green Valley WR Isiah Macklin is very fast at 6'4 185 that should be a very hot prospect this winter.

Coach Sanchez seems to have turned up the recruiting efforts at home the last week. I agree this is the type of player I would like to keep home especially if it means Reno doesn't get them.

From everything I have read on the kid he projects more at the WR position but could transition to defensive back. WR will be an important spot next year, Boyd and Keys will be Juniors and they will need to start grooming eventual replacements.

Maybe Will can elaborate more on this but I think one issue for some of the skill position players in Las Vegas, is average to below average QB play in the Valley right now outside of 1 or 2 guys. I could be wrong but I rarely see much hype surrounding any QBs not named Martell. Christian Lopez put up nice numbers his junior year but tailed off in a big way last season (injury?). Pretty sure I read somewhere he is going to try and walk on at UNLV.

You also have to consider Martell had hype due to being the youngest player to commit to a college when he committed to Washington as an 8th grader. He played at Poway (CA) as a freshman before transferring to Gorman. He has been a big name for a long time.
Nevada has good high school quarterbacks but not even Solomon had Martell hype.

http://www.si.com/si-wire/2012/07/26/eighth-grade-qb-tate-martell-commits-to-washington

Will-
Martell had a lot of hype because he put up big numbers, played on the best team in the state. His age was the smallest factor.

Based on your breakdown of 2015 Qb play and the top guys for next year there might be one D-1 prospect and some borderline FCS or NAIA prospects. (Not including Martell) That to me affirms the Qb play is average here at this time.

Looks like RJ Hubert just grabbed MVP honors at the All Poly Football Camp in Utah.
CH3Kfj5UsAIs6_D.jpg

CHRcjzpUYAE3dyP.jpg:large

Right now it looks like UNR will be his most likely landing spot. It rare to get programs to travel to any part of rural Nevada to seek talent. Post summer, I feel he will get overlooked by larger programs. It took years to get programs out to Moapa so I'm just happy kids from the area have an opportunity.
Adding a side note, quarterback play has been good to really good. Two player topped 3000 yards passing in 2013 with 5 topping 2000 yards passing that season setting area records.
6 topped the 2000 yard mark in 2014.
Quarterback talent has been solid but more guys have earned looks and options than in years past although more FCS, D2 and NAIA with Martell and Oblad holding FBS offers.

2014 stats
2013 stats
2012 stats

You may be right.

I'm touting this kid only because he's one that I've actually seen perform firsthand and I'm just convinced he could be a real impact player.

I love all of the offers going out to local players because they are all guys UNLV should be pursuing. Hubert needs to be included. His games I saw were played in Vegas, and I know Moapa plays mostly Vegas schools (Desert Pines, Sierra Vista, Del Sol, Chaparral, Legacy, Sunrise Mountain). I'm optimistic this staff will do its due diligence and will at least find out more about this kid. Can't let UNR poach this prospect out of Vegas.

A league MVP ball hawk, with track speed, and a 3.88 GPA, who vertical jumps 37", and plays in UNLV's backyard is at least worth investigating...I would hope. If nothing else just put him on UNLV's defense for an instant upgrade.

Does anyone know if RJ Hubert has any interest in UNLV? Or does he want to get out of Vegas and be somewhere else for college?

Does anyone know if RJ Hubert has any interest in UNLV? Or does he want to get out of Vegas and be somewhere else for college?

He's from Overton, so Vegas would still be getting out of town. I might be giving him a call in the coming weeks but he is one of the top 5 prospects in the state this year. I would love to see him on either side of the ball at UNLV.

The advantage of playing at UNLV is that he would be away from home, but still close enough for his family to attend every home game.

I think he would be a great pick up but recruiting, for any kid across the country is about feel and fit. Sometimes the two dont come together.

Hubert picked up another offer. Now from Army. So maybe Reno stealing him is not guaranteed afterall.

My boy RJ Hubert single-handedly destroyed Sierra Vista in Las Vegas on Friday. He scored 5 TDs--and actually scored 7 TDs but 2 were called back. The kid is a beast.

I was talking with some folks trying to find out why UNLV hasn't offered. I was told UNLV was looking at him last spring but the people I talked to thought once UNLV heard Hubert might serve a two-year LDS mission they backed off. I'm assuming it's because Sanchez is looking for immediate help to build the program. But I'll say this, I don't think there's a better WR in the area.

http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2015/aug/28/moapa-valley-sierra-vista/#.VeFfu2wt7jM.facebook

Last edited:
My boy RJ Hubert single-handedly destroyed Sierra Vista in Las Vegas on Friday. He scored 5 TDs--and actually scored 7 TDs but 2 were called back. They couldn't stop him. The kid is a beast.

I was talking with some folks trying to find out why UNLV hasn't offered. I was told UNLV was looking at him last spring but the people I talked to thought once UNLV heard Hubert might serve a two-year LDS mission they backed off. I'm assuming it's because Sanchez is looking for immediate help to build the program. But I'll say this, I don't think there's a better WR in the area.

http://m.lasvegassun.com/news/2015/aug/28/moapa-valley-sierra-vista/#.VeFfu2wt7jM.facebook
I can see how recruiting players that are in line for an LDS mission can create some complications. The Pros are you usually return a kid who is more mature than your average freshmen both physically and mentally. The cons being you are essentially red shirting a kid twice and will not get a 'return' on your scholarship investment for a minimum of two years. That two years could possibly be three depending on how long it takes the kid to get acclimated to football again.

Now for a school like BYU where this is the norm, its still difficult but easier because a large number of your recruits go through this process. You basically recruit based on a large percentage of your players not being there for the first two years. A school like UNLV it has to be a little more difficult because it is not the norm. I would imagine it creates a few obstacles.

There is no doubt this kid is talented, question is does Coach Sanchez want to wait a minimum of two years. Tough call.

Another one to watch is RB Isaiah Morris from Desert Pines HS. He's only a junior this year (I think), and he's only 5'8", but he's a little bullet who can take it the distance in a hurry.

Reactions: JDG
He's small for sure. His speed is deadly. I'd love to see him returning kicks and punts for UNLV in a couple of years.

He's small for sure. His speed is deadly. I'd love to see him returning kicks and punts for UNLV in a couple of years.
There is still a spot for guys like that in college football. They can't be every down backs obviously, but you can play guys like that in the slot in the passing game, or use them on draws, swing passes and screens to get them in the open field.

Football has changed a lot and I think it has actually opened the doors for more kids that would have been considered to small in the past. With all the spread offenses, everything is about one on one matchups and getting guys in space.

Another one to watch is RB Isaiah Morris from Desert Pines HS. He's only a junior this year (I think), and he's only 5'8", but he's a little bullet who can take it the distance in a hurry.
The tall WR from Desert Pines looks pretty good as well.

RJ Hubert has committed to the Utah Utes. The kid is a huge playmaker having a monster senior year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT