ADVERTISEMENT

Possible defensive coaches

RedCannon

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2006
Austin, TX
Just saw this on The Scoop and thought I'd share:

UNLV: Tony Sanchez has offered Colorado State assistant head coach / linebackers Tim Skipper his defensive coordinator position at UNLV. If there isn't clarity soon at CSU, sources tell us Skipper could accept the position by the end of the week. We understand that former Oregon State defensive line coach Joe Seumalo is likely to join Sanchez' staff as well. Will update…

Sounds like another solid couple of additions if it pans out!..

This post was edited on 12/18 3:40 PM by RedCannon

The Scoop...

Joe Seumalo (pronounced Say-u-malo) is in his ninth year at Oregon State and is credited with developing some of the school's best ever linemen. Rivals.com rated Seumalo as one of the top recruiters in the Pac-12 Conference in February of 2013.

The Beavers equaled the biggest turnaround in the nation in 2012 from the previous season and it was in large part to the play of the defensive line. They held four opponents to under 10 points, the most since the 2000 season, finished second in the league for scoring defense (20.6 points) and nearly set the school record for fewest overall points allowed for a 13-game year.
This post was edited on 12/17 4:05 PM by DocRebel

I'd heard something about a CSU coach coming south. This makes sense. Let's get'r done.

With all of these assistants coming from these programs around the country, you'd think that there's at least a decent chance that they'll bring a few of their recruits or current players with them. Any insight into that possibility?

There's such a difference with the coaching candidates we're seeing now versus the Vic Shealy-type defensive coordinators that we've been stuck with for decades before.

In addition to assembling a great staff with vast player development experience, hiring coaches with the ability to recruit, really recruit, seems to be high on Sanchez' priority list.

High school coach or not, there's no way UNLV is worse off now than what we've been. The more I see and hear Sanchez talk about the changes and the direction, the more I like and trust him. And at least I'm starting to feel now there's actually hope and something to look forward to. The community needs to be excited and embrace the vision UNLV is finally showing by way of action. It won't happen overnight but I'm excited about the initiative UNLV is now taking.

I don't know if everyone saw the latest edition. Pretty exciting stuffs cometh. I think Coach Sanchez is going to be fine...

Rebzone

You can add former UNLV assistant head coach and defensive coordinator J.D Williams to the list as well. Coming back to coach CB's according to football scoop. Don't believe he should've been let go in the first place. Currently at Georgia State.

Will there be a way to see what the new coaches will be getting paid to see how much UNLV is actually upping the anty with asst pay?

I hope Tim Skipper does make the change from CSU to UNLV but it's obvious that there is a little money being tossed around to get these guys here in the first place. I hope this is the "corner" our football program has been rumored to be turning the last few years, so far so good.

I am still wait and see with things like player development and recruits leading to "on-field" success but I am very intrigued with what is going on so far.

Bring the announcement for the "all-in-one football facilities with improved training tables, academics, academic capabilities and weight room. Oh and the indoor practice facility we all know UNLV needs for "curb" appeal.

Interesting times to say the least!

Re: What I find exciting is

Sanchez seems to understand right from the get go what the significant problems are and has immediately taken steps to address those problems.

Weak line play on both sides of the ball - hire excellent line coaches

Weak recruiting- hire strong recruiters

Poor qb play - bring in solid qb coach

Poor defense - hire top notch coordinator

Excuses why we 'can't ' succeed - locals want to leave, no on campus stadium, poor facilities- call those what they are - excuses - and focus on why none of these factors should hold us back

You can see the difference immediately in hiring someone who was familiar with unlv and all of its problems
vs bringing in outsiders like Sanford and Hauck who were unfamiliar with the program and community

By the time guys like Sanford and Hauck realized what they were up against it was already too late for them

I'm expecting Sanchez to really shock us all with the first class he brings in this February!

From what I heard the budget for asst coaches has more than doubled.

Originally posted by spudreb:

From what I heard the budget for asst coaches has more than doubled.
Yeah, more money. Something previous coaches never had. So, Sanchez starts to win? With who's recruits? Hauck's. Well, if Sanchez can win w/ Hauck's guys, I guess it shows Hauck wasn't coach I thought he was. But, if Sanchez posts W/L record for next two or three years that Hauck had, then how do we measure Sanchez? Is it Hauck's guys? Or is it Sanchez's coaching?

I guess after 2-3 years, when Sanchez's recruits start producing or not producing, then we'll know. The question still remains open: Is it the school/program, or is it the coach? In the past, was it the former or the latter? It appears, now, that the school is funding the program to what it should have been, and it appears now with Sanchez there's a collective breath of fresh air.

If it's simply more money and more support from UNLV for its football program that improves Rebel W/L record, then it's unfair to judge previous coaches, esp. Hauck, on the basis of future Rebel success compared to their/his tenure. I do hope UNLV & Sanchez turn this program around & it's not a sour grapes thing w/ me. I'm just trying to provide a little perspective.

For a program with a history like ours, we typically give an incoming coach a pass until he has his own recruits on board. I will be interested in seeing if there is defensive improvement early on.

Love to see JD come back, good guy.

Skipper is pretty good too, CSU had a very solid staff. Seamalu brought a lot of great Dline guys to Oregon St, he brought Stephen Paea up from the islands, that guy was a friggin monster.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Sonny, I think the majority of the blame rests on Hauck for losing. He ran a good old boy system with his buddies as coaches that shouldn't have been. We already are better off than we were. Look at the caliber of coaches Sanchez has hired compared to what Hauck had. I believe we can go nowhere but up from where we were. We have a new staff of proven producers versus an old staff that really didnt produce at all. We should have been going bowling again this year with the team we had.

The program is broken. Let's not candy coat it. It's tough for any coach, legendary, mediocre or crappy, to win here in its current state. I've maintained that for a long time.

But you simply cannot give Hauck a pass on things. Things that were 100% dependent upon him were blown to shreds. How many opposing scores did UNLV give up in the last two minutes of the first half? It was mind boggling. Didn't matter if the opposition had 90 yards to go and only 1:15 on the clock. If it happens once, ok, crap happens? But regularly? That's coaching, isn't it? The lame, ill timed fakes? The play calling in general?

Listen, personally, I liked Hauck. Good guy. And no, I don't think he was a horrific coach. But he made his job tougher than it had to be by losing control of things he had control over. There are plenty of unique obstacles that come with this job - but he added a few to it. Thankfully, UNLV has finally opted to remove a significant number of those obstacles, so within a couple of years, I think the UNLV job will be "easier".

So I don't know what you can use to measure what you are asking. Or that it's even important. Hauck may succeed at his new home because he's better equipped for that particular job. It really doesn't make him a different coach. More of a fit thing.

Originally posted by IndianaRebel:
How long till the announcement? Has it already?
I thought I read somewhere here on one of the boards the announcement may have been pushed to Monday? Is that accurate?

Re: (bcvegaspt) "Gives Skipper more time to negotiate elsewhere as I've said before."

==> Well, if he was hoping that today's bowl game would be a good enough defensive showing to get him leverage elsewhere then that strategy didn't work out so well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT