ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Better Record: Basketball/Football

Who will have the better record? (explanation in first post, below)

• UNLV Rebels Football

Votes: 25 80.6%
  • UNLV Runnin' Rebels Basketball

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

RebelBuzz

Retired Number
Jan 13, 2015
Let me preface this by saying that I completely understand that the football and basketball programs have dissimilar histories -- that a 6-6 record for UNLV football is totally different than a 16-15 season for UNLV basketball, even though both of those records are 50/50 seasons.

Throw all of that out the window, and just look at the numbers and win totals. Who do you predict will have the better season? Below is how the two sports equate, using win percentages:

Football = Basketball
Record____Record

1-11...............3-28
2-10...............5-26
3-9.................8-23
4-8.................10-21
5-7.................13-18
6-6.................16-15
7-5.................18-13
8-4.................21-10
9-3.................23-8
10-2...............26-5
11-1...............28-3
12-0...............31-0

I put football would have the better record, but I really think they will both end up with somewhat similar records. Would be nice if both teams end up in the 7-5/18-13 range.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
Let me preface this by saying that I completely understand that the football and basketball programs have dissimilar histories -- that a 6-6 record for UNLV football is totally different than a 16-15 season for UNLV basketball, even though both of those records are 50/50 seasons.

Throw all of that out the window, and just look at the numbers and win totals. Who do you predict will have the better season? Below is how the two sports equate, using win percentages:

Football = Basketball
Record____Record

1-11...............3-28
2-10...............5-26
3-9.................8-23
4-8.................10-21
5-7.................13-18
6-6.................16-15
7-5.................18-13
8-4.................21-10
9-3.................23-8
10-2...............26-5
11-1...............28-3
12-0...............31-0
Gonna be close, I think.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
A 7-5 season likely means only losses against UCLA, CMU, BSU, SDSU, and one other. It would also likely mean an undefeated season at home.

I agree, @j. spilotro, it probably will be very similar results for each team.

Good Poll. I answered basketball without looking at the breakdown, just because in general I think it will be much easier for them to get to 500 for the season. However 16-15 vs 6-6 are pretty good bets for both squads (hopefully they both do better than that).

Since 5 win teams have made bowls, i'd say record comparison is more like this:

4-8 football is about 15-16 basketball
5-7 football is about 18-13 basketball
6-6 football is about 20-11 basketball
7-5 football is about 22-9
8-3 football is about 24-7
9-2 football is about 25-6
10-1 football is about 28-3

6 win football is most likely in a bowl, 20 hoops wins most years is at least post season cbi/cit

Since 5 win teams have made bowls, i'd say record comparison is more like this:

4-8 football is about 15-16 basketball
5-7 football is about 18-13 basketball
6-6 football is about 20-11 basketball
7-5 football is about 22-9
8-3 football is about 24-7
9-2 football is about 25-6
10-1 football is about 28-3

6 win football is most likely in a bowl, 20 hoops wins most years is at least post season cbi/cit
Using that scale, it won't be close. Football.

Close but I had to vote for basketball. I think football will win 2-4 games this year and basketball will be between 10-13 games this year.

So you think UNLV football will win less games than any of the lines have UNLV winning. That would be a big step backwards, and I do not see it happening.

Close but I had to vote for basketball. I think football will win 2-4 games this year and basketball will be between 10-13 games this year.
Boy oh boy, I'd hate to hear your outlook on the economy, the zika virus, or global warming...

Obviously these are predictions, and there's a great deal of speculation that goes into it, but you seem awfully pessimistic about both sports. I've said before that having 4 wins in football this year is really the exact same thing as having 3 wins last year (because we essentially swapped out a road game at Michigan for a home game at Idaho; other than that the schedules are very similar aside from location of games). So having 4 wins really won't show me much "progress". 5 wins shows another true step forward and 6+ wins (plus a bowl) is a huge step forward.

I thought the signs of improvement last year were dramatic. 7-5 is my guess. That means 18-13 for hoops. I actually think Coach Menzies and the team will overachieve based on people's very low expectations, but will not get to 18 wins.

I remember the last year of Hauck right after his bowl year and I said 3-4 wins and was told how stupid I was that there was no way we would do any less than 6-6 and more than likely be up around 8-9 wins. I say the same thing as I did then I hope we can get 6-7 wins heck I hope we go 12-0 I just don't see the talent on the team to achieve A .500 this year. 5 wins I think we could achieve but I wouldn't bet on it. I hope I am wrong. As for basketball it kills me to think we could have a sub .500 year, we do have a bunch of crappy teams on the ooc schedule so I could see us getting to 15-16 wins but it has been years since we could go into a year and beat every game we should have.

I think the records will be really close. I'm secretly hoping for 15 wins in basketball, but I think 13 is far more likely. Similarly I think 5 wins is what I see in football, but my fingers are crossed for 6.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT