ADVERTISEMENT

Pallendech

rebelcuff

All American
Gold Member
Feb 19, 2006
Tampa, Florida
please tell me that Sanchez is not planning on starting this guy next year? There has to be some juco or transfer out there.

please tell me that Sanchez is not planning on starting this guy next year? There has to be some juco or transfer out there.
No there are 2 jucco guys on radar. Also 3 star Dalton Sneed is on roster and they have a verbal from 3 star Jack Smith. They don't want to break Sneed's red shirt.

Palandech was not good tonight I agree but there were three drops as well not on him.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Lagow looks like a stud, a faster, stronger, and more accurate version of Nick Sherry. Evans looks like a bigger version of Decker.

Last night shows how important the quarterback position is in football. Pallendech was decent in stretches, but nowhere near consistent enough.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Lopez is academically ineligible. That is why the situation is even tougher with Decker out. I think he will be ready to go Friday at Fresno which looks like a game we can get a W should we play to our abilities.

The need for a JUCO QB to come in at Semester is huge. Not only for Competition for Sneed and Palandech but just reps. Right now we would only have Sneed and Palandech for spring and getting that 3rd scholarship QB in early would be huge moving forward.

Lagow tweeted out the cannon being red. I think he's at least considering the program. Sanchez has a history of prefering dual threat quarterbacks, I wonder if he would consider a fast pro style quarterback. I really like what I m seeing from the guy, he has a cannon that I would like to see in a Rebel jersey.

Reactions: rebelbuck
Palandech is a good QB. Serviceable, not outstanding & only a Soph. After more practice reps & game experience, he'll do well. He's tough, for one thing & adds a run threat, even if his passing isn't all that great, but he does complete enough passes (if they are caught) to keep the opposing D honest.

Rebs losses are for a lot of other things than failures of Palandech at QB. And, he's a leader.

He played well at times, but after his first INT, it seemed like he was afraid to throw the ball in the middle of the field. He had Boyd and Keys open a few times but looked them off for an RB in the flat. Too many sideways throws and not enough downfield. We have really good WR's but have to get them the ball more often

He played well at times, but after his first INT, it seemed like he was afraid to throw the ball in the middle of the field. He had Boyd and Keys open a few times but looked them off for an RB in the flat. Too many sideways throws and not enough downfield. We have really good WR's but have to get them the ball more often
OK, fine. The kid is competitive and has drive, and he's the leader Sanchez needs right now, and Sanchez knows it. It's disappointing to see a thread like this re: next year's or the next year's QB and discounting Palandech's contributions to the Reb effort at this point. Yes, he has flaws & I'm sure his coaches will educate him re: those, & he will learn.

I'm not saying he'll replace Decker. All I'm saying is, let's not trash him at this point by speculating on his ability to lead this team next year. Next year will take care of itself. It's too early to start speculating about future QBs, altho that's human nature. (I guess.)

Reactions: willlevi
I know Palendech is no Denton or Cunningham but come on he's our starting QB for now.

Get behind him. It's not as if season is over because of his errant and not so perfect passes that we as UNLV fans expect from that position.

And it's only for 1 season anyway until somebody better comes along.

I've always felt UNLV needs to recruit at least 4 QB's.

Our quarterbacks have never finished an entire season without getting hurt.

We were 1 misread defensive play from winning that game.

I'm never gonna hate on a Rebel. Kurt had some big plays last night, and gave us a chance to win.

However, he also had 2 REALLY bad interceptions, one of which lead directly to a TD as it was returned inside the UNLV 10. All in all, I think that he is a really good change-of-pace QB (see NIU drive, UNR to end 1st half) but he is not an all-game QB–yet, at least.

It's too bad that Thompson had the elbow issue and is out for the year. I remember reports from last year that he looked promising as a redshirt freshman. Even if he is no better than KP, I'd love it if he could come in for 2-3 possessions a game to get KP off the field to regroup, give a chance of pace, and then let KP take over again.

I hope it didn't come off as me hating on him. That wasn't my intention at all. To me, he just doesn't have the confidence to throw the ball yet. He's got some great tools and natural ability, but he's very tentative in passing. He'll take off running in a heartbeat though. Sometimes for good, sometimes for bad. I'm looking forward to seeing him grow!

He's young and he has some issues. He doesn't really understand how to put touch on the ball yet. He has a decent arm but tries to throw everything with Roger Clemens velocity. Couple that with a not-very-tight spiral and it makes for a not very catchable ball. That can be addressed with a good QB coach and lots of reps, but it's not something that happens overnight and some people never learn how to do it.

He falls in love with a receiver pre-snap too often. Now in fairness this might be the OC giving him very simple pass progressions. This especially shows against zone coverages. He recognizes zone coverage but not how to read through progressions in the heat of battle.

Interceptions and poor choices are something you are going to have to live with when your running quarterback is being forced to learn how to throw in the offense.

For me the part that hurt the worst, even more than the two picks, was on that 3rd and long driving to try and win the game we called the middle screen against the double safety blitz. That's a game winning touchdown combination and such an amazing play call. He has to see that and know that he must extend that play by moving back in the pocket. Instead at the end of his five step drop he stopped and then it was already too late. If he turns that into a 7 step drop or even rolled out slightly to his right that play is set up for BIG yardage and we're in an amazing position to win the game. It just looks like he's still counting his steps in his passing drops--it's not a memory thing he's still having to think about it.

More than anything he can not take a sack there.

But this team is still playing much better football than I would have expected from a back up quarterback against what is probably the team that's going to win the West division.

Yes, Palendech has his warts and limitations. But a lot of his problems are due to inexperience.

To be extremely cliched he is what he is..

He is a very athletic kid with good speed, solid arm strength and toughness.

He also has some accuracy issues, lacks touch on his passes and occasionally makes some poor decisions if the first part of a play breaks down.

In his defense he is only a sophomore. And although he has had a number of snaps this year that was his first official start at the division 1 level. And while he may throw the occasional wobbling pass, his receivers have let him down on a few occasions as well. There were no less than three dropped passes in the game against San Jose State. I get he may not always throw a ball that is easy to catch all the time, but receivers have to step up and make a play once in a while. Considering the defenses that we have played this year I won't say the WR corp has been a disappointment but they have not lived up to expectations either. So of that is on the QB play but some is on their shoulders as well.

I think he is an above average backup QB but a below average starter. He is the type of guy that off the bench he can give you a spark and he may even win you a game or two as a starter. But as a long term starter his limitations would probably get exposed. This isn't to say he can't get better, and won't get better, it's just where he is at right now.

Herring didn't figure it out until his senior year. I think Palandech will have it sorted out by next year. If not, Sneed's been getting some good work in. I like that the coaches are involving Sneed by having him on headset listening to plays.

I think he is an above average backup QB but a below average starter. He is the type of guy that off the bench he can give you a spark and he may even win you a game or two as a starter.

I agree with this quite a bit. I love having a run capable quarterback as the back up, especially with Sanchez's offense. You can just tell Kurt was mostly an option read quarterback in HS and he's having to learn the nuance of being able to consistently do both. Things like footwork and progressions are going to also be taught differently than they were under the Hauck regime.

And as long as we're being honest, while the offense looks more dynamic with Decker under center, he's hardly had an amazing season so far 54% completion, 7.8 ypa, 1.25 td:int ratio, however Palandech's 4.9 ypa and 1.33 td:int ratio is just a little more glaringly pedestrian. The biggest difference between Decker and Palandech is that Blake takes fewer sacks (1 sack per 16.6 drop backs, as opposed to 1 sack every 8.5 for Kurt).

I'm also not convinced that Palandech can't develop. He does have a pretty strong arm and is obviously a leader and dynamic when running.

Edit: math hard.

Last edited:
From my angle it looked like Palandech threw the ball perfectly on that final drive to Devonte Boyd for what would have been the game-winning TD. That ball was on the money and Boyd flat out dropped it.

The two picks Palandech threw were bad and he missed a lot of other targets throughout the game. But at the end he was making plays and Boyd needs to catch that ball for the win.

Just to further Doc's post a little, we scored 27 points. That should be good enough to win most games. There are never any 'well timed' turnovers but when a turnover gives the other team a short field or is in the redzone on a potential scoring drive they are even worse. One of Palandech's ints lead to a short field and 7 for San Jose and was ultimately the difference in the game.

From my angle it looked like Palandech threw the ball perfectly on that final drive to Devonte Boyd for what would have been the game-winning TD. That ball was on the money and Boyd flat out dropped it.
I went back and watched that throw to Boyd on our last drive in regulation. At the game, it looked like a drop (and he did drop the ball), but if you watch his feet, he was out of bounds. Not a "bad" throw by any means, but it was a little bit to far to the right, and even if Boyd held onto the ball, his feet wouldn't have been down.

BTW, if you want to relive the agony, go to livestream.com and search for UNLV and the archived game comes up.

Just watched the RebZone.

I think Palandech may be taking a little more heat than is warranted.

He was very good on first two drives, had some struggles for 2nd and 3rd quarter obviously but his numbers and some of the plays he made with his feet down the stretch were very impressive. With the game on the line Palandech actually shined. He looked like a different QB.

Looking back at it, he lead two big drives to end the game, one to take the lead and another that tied the game again. There was also a pass to Boyd that was dropped that he may have had a chance to score on (although he might have been out of bounds even with the catch.)

Coach Sanchez himself said there were what he considered 5 drops in the game. That is way to many for one game.

To be quite honest I think there might be more to this kid than we are giving him credit for.

It is looking like he may get another start at Fresno State. I am really interested with a second week taking starter reps, how he performs.

I still think Decker gives us a better chance to win games, but there is more to Palandech's game than I initially thought.

He looked really composed late in the game. Sure it was some of his errant throws and decision making that put us in a negative situation, but when he had to be at his absolute best he came up big down the stretch.

I'm convinced it had TD written all over it. I sat on that corner by the SJSU fans and he looked well in when the ball slipped through his arms. But like you say, whether he was in or not is moot since he dropped it.

Overall there were 5 dropped balls throughout the game. That's too many from the receivers.

He matured by leaps and bounds in the 4th quarter. Watching the rebzone, the Oline is still broken.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
.........For me the part that hurt the worst, even more than the two picks, was on that 3rd and long driving to try and win the game we called the middle screen against the double safety blitz. That's a game winning touchdown combination and such an amazing play call. He has to see that and know that he must extend that play by moving back in the pocket. Instead at the end of his five step drop he stopped and then it was already too late. If he turns that into a 7 step drop or even rolled out slightly to his right that play is set up for BIG yardage and we're in an amazing position to win the game. It just looks like he's still counting his steps in his passing drops--it's not a memory thing he's still having to think about it.

More than anything he can not take a sack there.

But this team is still playing much better football than I would have expected from a back up quarterback against what is probably the team that's going to win the West division.

Yes, Palendech has his warts and limitations. But a lot of his problems are due to inexperience.

I agree about that play, but that blitz was so perfectly timed I'm not sure it would've helped...you're right though, the staff knew it was coming and that screen would've scored.

After rewatching the game....I believe Palandech COULD be the guy to lead this team to where we want. He reminds me a bit of Alex Smith when he was at Utah playing for Urban Meyer. The only difference is the offense was built around Smith's ability to run, and we've yet to do that for Palandech....although, that could come.

What I really like about Palandech is he's very explosive when he gets outside the pocket....Smith wasn't this explosive, but a guy from the team up north was, and he replaced Smith on the 49ers. I do think those two interceptions cost us the game....both were in or near the redzone....they SHOULD have been 3pts at least. They were bad passes, both of them....but it's hard to not see the potential with KP.

After rewatching the game....I believe Palandech COULD be the guy to lead this team to where we want. He reminds me a bit of Alex Smith when he was at Utah playing for Urban Meyer. The only difference is the offense was built around Smith's ability to run, and we've yet to do that for Palandech....although, that could come.

What I really like about Palandech is he's very explosive when he gets outside the pocket....Smith wasn't this explosive, but a guy from the team up north was, and he replaced Smith on the 49ers. I do think those two interceptions cost us the game....both were in or near the redzone....they SHOULD have been 3pts at least. They were bad passes, both of them....but it's hard to not see the potential with KP.
Odd thing about Alex Smith is like you mentioned he showed a lot of athletic ability at the college level. At the pro level you rarely see him use his legs to make plays.

As for Palandech I am with you there is more to this kids game than people may think.

I don't think the offense has to be dramatically altered for Palandech to be successful. Just tweaked a bit to emphasize the things he good at.

If Palandech eliminates those two interceptions, which are correctable, and if the receivers don't drop 5 passes, which are also correctable, it would have been a pretty solid QB performance overall and UNLV would have won that game comfortably. Palandech has a big upside as long as he develops consistency in his passing game.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
Alex Smith's o-line was better which allowed him to showcase his ability to run. I'm not blaming the interceptions on the o-line but I think as the coaches improve the talent up front (by recruiting and coaching 'em up) I think he'll also improve.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT