ADVERTISEMENT

PAC 2 pausing expansion …. CBS Sports….

This will also give UNLV the chance to make a push for the MWC with games against Syracuse, Oregon State and Boise State. Win those games would make the future MWC media deal more desirable and reduce the value of a PAC media deal. Would love to see Texas State or Sac State flip to the MWC, or stay where they are. The PAC has put both conferences in a position where both are forced to negotiate deals with programs that neither would have looked at before. Stupid people and sad time!

They may be waiting to see if their lawsuit has any legs, if they are successful they could have much more money to throw around to get a quality school
Hahahahahahahaha! Oh sorry, I was thinking about the validity and chance of success of the Pac's pathetic poaching lawsuit.

My assumption is they really want Memphis and Tulane to reconsider and maybe make a better offer for them.

We saw some media projections thrown around early with numbers anywhere between 9-15 million. That's almost triple the MWC current numbers. That had to be projections based of Memphus, Tulane, UTSA and USF. I'm guessing that 10 million was likely Just Memphis, plus possibly UNLV and USU.

When all four AAC schools said nope. They came back to UNLV and USU. Again purely a guess, but now that media deal was probably around 7 million ish? When UNLV stayed put panic starts to set in. Media deal now creeping back into MWC current levels making this whole cluster a pointless venture.

PAC now says Oh Crap! Decides to postpone any further talks to reevaluate.

If the media deal was still looking acceptable why not just grab UTEP of NMSU or Texas State and been done with it? Or make Hawaii a full member. I think because the money wasn't there anymore.

They low balled Memphis on helping with exit fees. No way Memphis is paying upwards of 20 million to sign a new media deal equal to what they have now or only slightly better just to see it eaten away by extra travel costs.

They either have to come back to Memphis with a much better offer, or swallow their pride and invite Texas State type schools and settle for a media package far less than they anticipated. I can't see a scenario where they circle back to MWC and try and do any kind of merger reverse or otherwise.

They took their shot and missed their entire goal. Will they end up being a better conference than the MW? Yes, absolutely yes… no argument from me there.

But that was not their goal, so without some miracle Hail Mary that lands for them this will end up being a catastrophic failure on their part.

Their thinking, namely OSU and WSU since it was their money, was that they were going to spend roughly $120-$130 million (but maybe less with settlements) to build the best G5 conference (though they’d try to argue AQ) and they’d be set. They’d be a perennial CFP team and they’d have a pretty good TV deal.

None of that happened or is going to happen. There is nobody left to poach without throwing the rest of any money you have left at the problem, and you’ve only succeeded at turning yourself into one of the top G5 leagues.

Meanwhile you could have merged with the MW, kept all your money, and likely create the dominant G5 conference. You could’ve probably added Gonzaga to create a top 4 or 5 MBB conference and owned the pacific and mountain time zones.

Instead, you thought you deserved more than you were entitled to and you threw a series of temper tantrums.

In poetic terms, you cut off your nose to spite your face.

I would have rather been a part of a SUCCESSFUL version of what they had planned WITH equal standing and equal sacrifice, but since that was NOT an option, I’m very satisfied with how it has played out in UNLV’s favor.

Beat Syracuse!

They took their shot and missed their entire goal. Will they end up being a better conference than the MW? Yes, absolutely yes… no argument from me there.

But that was not their goal, so without some miracle Hail Mary that lands for them this will end up being a catastrophic failure on their part.

Their thinking, namely OSU and WSU since it was their money, was that they were going to spend roughly $120-$130 million (but maybe less with settlements) to build the best G5 conference (though they’d try to argue AQ) and they’d be set. They’d be a perennial CFP team and they’d have a pretty good TV deal.

None of that happened or is going to happen. There is nobody left to poach without throwing the rest of any money you have left at the problem, and you’ve only succeeded at turning yourself into one of the top G5 leagues.

Meanwhile you could have merged with the MW, kept all your money, and likely create the dominant G5 conference. You could’ve probably added Gonzaga to create a top 4 or 5 MBB conference and owned the pacific and mountain time zones.

Instead, you thought you deserved more than you were entitled to and you threw a series of temper tantrums.

In poetic terms, you cut off your nose to spite your face.

I would have rather been a part of a SUCCESSFUL version of what they had planned WITH equal standing and equal sacrifice, but since that was NOT an option, I’m very satisfied with how it has played out in UNLV’s favor.

Beat Syracuse!
Spot on! I think they had plan A and plan B and neither one came through! There was no plan C because they were so sure and arrogant that no one would say no to the "Pac 12" name. That 10-15 mill number was if they landed the 4 schools from the AAC, now with the unexpected plan they would be lucky to land 10 mill and more likely around 7-9 mill.

Reactions: oneepstein
Spot on! I think they had plan A and plan B and neither one came through! There was no plan C because they were so sure and arrogant that no one would say no to the "Pac 12" name. That 10-15 mill number was if they landed the 4 schools from the AAC, now with the unexpected plan they would be lucky to land 10 mill and more likely around 7-9 mill.
Has anyone seen a value associated with different schools/teams? When OSU/WSU were in the PAC, they were getting $21 million/ year before everything fell apart, but a lot of that was due to the value of other teams like USC, Oregon, etc. At the time of renewal, ESPN offered $30 million / year, but we all know how that shook out with USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington jumping ship.

WSU/OSU do have some value, but what is it? If the top tier PAC schools that left were valued at 50-60 million, then that would mean that a number of the other schools brought the value down. Stanford/Cal/WSU/OSU, etc must have been in that group. So what is their media value by school?

Same with Boise. In the MWC, they were getting a higher share than everyone else due to their 'value', and the MWC overall value was brought down by some of the smaller markets.

For reference, Cal and Stanford are set to earn $11 million / year each from the ACC media agreement, for the next 7 years. Do any of the MW5 teams exceed the value of Cal / Stanford? They're in the bay area, which is huge, but they haven't been the most successful recently.

Anyway, I would love to see an estimated value of all of the teams to see what value each would bring to a conference or media agreement.

Has anyone seen a value associated with different schools/teams? When OSU/WSU were in the PAC, they were getting $21 million/ year before everything fell apart, but a lot of that was due to the value of other teams like USC, Oregon, etc. At the time of renewal, ESPN offered $30 million / year, but we all know how that shook out with USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington jumping ship.

WSU/OSU do have some value, but what is it? If the top tier PAC schools that left were valued at 50-60 million, then that would mean that a number of the other schools brought the value down. Stanford/Cal/WSU/OSU, etc must have been in that group. So what is their media value by school?

Same with Boise. In the MWC, they were getting a higher share than everyone else due to their 'value', and the MWC overall value was brought down by some of the smaller markets.

For reference, Cal and Stanford are set to earn $11 million / year each from the ACC media agreement, for the next 7 years. Do any of the MW5 teams exceed the value of Cal / Stanford? They're in the bay area, which is huge, but they haven't been the most successful recently.

Anyway, I would love to see an estimated value of all of the teams to see what value each would bring to a conference or media agreement.
Hard to say since it’s virtually impossible to assign value without context. The other teams in your conference add and subtract from that value, as well as the combined makeup of the league and how it’s perceived.

That Cal/Stanford number being that low is surprising considering the decisions they made. Doesn’t seem worth it.

IMO we finish the season 12-0 11-1 or even 10-2 and we will have a ton of leverage . WE can not stay in the MWC. Come to some compromise with the PAC. Hopefully one of the reasons why we did not sign with them was because we know its going to be VERY short term and did not want to pay the $$$ buyout clause to move to the BIG 12. Im sure they all agreed to a very hefty leave the PAC clause.

Hard to say since it’s virtually impossible to assign value without context. The other teams in your conference add and subtract from that value, as well as the combined makeup of the league and how it’s perceived.

That Cal/Stanford number being that low is surprising considering the decisions they made. Doesn’t seem worth it.
Well, just for arguments sake, lets make some values up. I know it won't be accurate, but let's just take a guess and see where it comes out.

WSU - $13
OSU - $13
BSU - $10
SDSU - $8
Fresno - $5
Col St - $4
USU - $4

If you totaled those up and averaged them, it would be $57/7 = $8.14 million per team. If they add an 8th school that doesn't add more than $8 million in value, that amount would go down per team. Let's say they aren't able to get Memphis, or any of the other bigger brands being discussed, and have to get another market in the $3 million range. That would mean a split of $60 million between 8 teams, for $7.5 million per school per year.

Are the numbers above way off, at least in terms of perception?

I do not think osu and wsu will really be perceived that high. They had good tv ratings cuz they played usc and uclz and others. It wasn't all cuz of what they brought to the table.

But your 7.5 mil may be close. They probably gained a million or 2 a year over the reverse merger. Not worth what they blew up for that small gain.

For sure osu and wsu were thinking we will get the best of g5 and everyone will see us as a new p5. Huge overreach by pac12.

Well, just for arguments sake, lets make some values up. I know it won't be accurate, but let's just take a guess and see where it comes out.

WSU - $13
OSU - $13
BSU - $10
SDSU - $8
Fresno - $5
Col St - $4
USU - $4

If you totaled those up and averaged them, it would be $57/7 = $8.14 million per team. If they add an 8th school that doesn't add more than $8 million in value, that amount would go down per team. Let's say they aren't able to get Memphis, or any of the other bigger brands being discussed, and have to get another market in the $3 million range. That would mean a split of $60 million between 8 teams, for $7.5 million per school per year.

Not sure about the guy that posted this but it was re-tweeted by Geoff Grammer who typically solid 9n his info.

If MWC is still worth 6 million per school I'd venture PAC as it sits is possibly 8?

Definitely not the 12-15 they were originally throwing around.

I was surprised they took Cal. I understand Stanford. Even beyond football, they have one of the nation’s best track and field program. Its always worth having your conferencing branding on people going to the olympics. What does Cal offer?

Not sure about the guy that posted this but it was retreated by Geoff Grammer who typically solid 9n his info.

If MWC is still worth 6 million per school I'd venture PAC as it sits is possibly 8?

That’s about right. Plus or minus 500k. For both conferences.

WSU - $13
OSU - $13
BSU - $10
SDSU - $8
Fresno - $5
Col St - $4
USU - $4

@Loyal Coug1 drop this in your Coug forum and get some feedback. I'm curious as to how high/low they perceive the value of the different teams to be.

@Loyal Coug1 drop this in your Coug forum and get some feedback. I'm curious as to how high/low they perceive the value of the different teams to be.
Shit I'm already getting ridiculed and insulted at every turn. Maybe tonight after I start drinking. And your numbers don't seem that farfetched.

And one correction on your prior post (excerpt below). I'm not sure but I think the full Pac-12's last media deal was in the $30M range. After FUSC/FUCLA announced they were leaving, ESPN offered $30M which we tried to negotiate up and ESPN said F-you and the Big-12 gobbled up basically the same deal. Fast forward a year, it was when Apple, etc offered the streaming-heavy deal in the $21M range that the traitorous 10 started bolting.

"When OSU/WSU were in the PAC, they were getting $21 million/ year before everything fell apart, but a lot of that was due to the value of other teams like USC, Oregon, etc. At the time of renewal, ESPN offered $30 million / year, but we all know how that shook out with USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington jumping ship."

Hahahahahahahaha! Oh sorry, I was thinking about the validity and chance of success of the Pac's pathetic poaching lawsuit.
I don't disagree, but apparently they think they have a shot at it, otherwise why even try?

Shit I'm already getting ridiculed and insulted at every turn. Maybe tonight after I start drinking. And your numbers don't seem that farfetched.

And one correction on your prior post (excerpt below). I'm not sure but I think the full Pac-12's last media deal was in the $30M range. After FUSC/FUCLA announced they were leaving, ESPN offered $30M which we tried to negotiate up and ESPN said F-you and the Big-12 gobbled up basically the same deal. Fast forward a year, it was when Apple, etc offered the streaming-heavy deal in the $21M range that the traitorous 10 started bolting.

"When OSU/WSU were in the PAC, they were getting $21 million/ year before everything fell apart, but a lot of that was due to the value of other teams like USC, Oregon, etc. At the time of renewal, ESPN offered $30 million / year, but we all know how that shook out with USC/UCLA/Oregon/Washington jumping ship."
Got it, thanks for the clarification on when the $30M came.

Reactions: RebelinWA

WSU - $13
OSU - $13
BSU - $10
SDSU - $8
Fresno - $5
Col St - $4
USU - $4

4 teams cannot sway the value that much. I do believe that is was 12 as reported by multiple sources with the 4 AAC schools. Only Memphis might have the argument of being better than all or most of the PAC as it is.

Remember the PAC had a 30 mil contact without the LA schools.

The big 10 PAC teams are perhaps worth the 50 they are getting now. Or close to it

The big 12 PAC teams are worth 30 in a similar fashion .

I don't think the drop off for the PAC 2 is that extreme. I think they may be worth 18 or even 20.

2 45-50mill teams 4 25-35 mil team and 2 20 mil teams will get you to 30 per team.

So replacing the AAC 4 with ony Memphis this being that much higher than the mean will not drop the payouts to half, especially you are considering you are replacing 4 with 2.

I think USU is worth about 5. They are average in the MW.

But I think the value is easily 8, probably closer to 10 right now. It will likely drop with their next add, unless they can still get some AAC schools of course.

So if the contact is worth 70 now in total even adding a team that is worth 0 it is till an 8.75 mil payout

My assumption is they really want Memphis and Tulane to reconsider and maybe make a better offer for them.
UNLV needs to win out, including beat downs of BSU twice, this would reduce the value of the PAC brand while drastically increasing the value of the MWC. If UNLV can finish the season strong, that would be a good time for the MWC to attempt to work out a deal of some sort with the AAC. Would love to chop off the legs of the PAC, and a win by UNLV v Syracuse is the first step in that goal. I will admit it worries me that UNLV moving forward has everything depending on the football team having a great season.

4 teams cannot sway the value that much. I do believe that is was 12 as reported by multiple sources with the 4 AAC schools. Only Memphis might have the argument of being better than all or most of the PAC as it is.

Remember the PAC had a 30 mil contact without the LA schools.

The big 10 PAC teams are perhaps worth the 50 they are getting now. Or close to it

The big 12 PAC teams are worth 30 in a similar fashion .

I don't think the drop off for the PAC 2 is that extreme. I think they may be worth 18 or even 20.

2 45-50mill teams 4 25-35 mil team and 2 20 mil teams will get you to 30 per team.

So replacing the AAC 4 with ony Memphis this being that much higher than the mean will not drop the payouts to half, especially you are considering you are replacing 4 with 2.

I think USU is worth about 5. They are average in the MW.

But I think the value is easily 8, probably closer to 10 right now. It will likely drop with their next add, unless they can still get some AAC schools of course.

So if the contact is worth 70 now in total even adding a team that is worth 0 it is till an 8.75 mil payout
That very well could be true. I was just throwing something out there for conversation. I don't know if the media groups put more value on the size of city, # of people in attendance, TV viewers, streaming, etc...

It makes it tough to judge though, because not all channels have the same viewing opportunity. Obviously, a game on ABC / Fox, etc, has the opportunity for more views than CBSSports, or FS1, etc, since not everyone has those channels in their cable package. Plus, the day and time of the game ends up making a big deal. If you were lined up in the same slot as Georgia / Alabama last week, it would be a tough draw.

Reactions: dcut03

Not sure about the guy that posted this but it was re-tweeted by Geoff Grammer who typically solid 9n his info.

What do we get now $5? So how is Hawaii of all places worth that much?

I'm not one to sneeze at 2 or 3 million dollars extra in a media deal. But was all this worth it to remain a G6 conference? If they can double it up to 12 million sure I get it. UTEP is leaving CUSA for the same reason. Nearly 5x current deal.

The P4 will remain the P4. They aren't giving up any potential at large bids by recognizing the PAC as one of their own.

(I realize you were in the reverse merger camp.)

Reactions: RebelinWA
I'm not one to sneeze at 2 or 3 million dollars extra in a media deal. But was all this worth it to remain a G6 conference? If they can double it up to 12 million sure I get it. UTEP is leaving CUSA for the same reason. Nearly 5x current deal.

The P4 will remain the P4. They aren't giving up any potential at large bids by recognizing the PAC as one of their own.

(I realize you were in the reverse merger camp.)
I still think it will be close to double the base amount. Maybe not double what a reverse merger would have been, but double what the MW will get.

Then you look at possible NCAAT credits looks pretty good with fewer teams that would divide. Now I expect some cannabilization in conference. Harder for a team like Boise or CSU to make the dance in a conference like that. But higher quality top to bottom.

All right you Coug-hating shitheads, I started a thread on my board. Let's see if it gets any traction. Bad news is it is up against a thread started by one of our resident freaks spreading lies about FEMA and hurricane Helene.

The TV Deal for the Mountain West is currently 4 million per school but Boise St. Gets more, I thought I read it was 6/7 million for them!
It was a set amount of $1.8 million extra per year. Now BSU will need to get almost $2 million extra above the MWC contract to even break even, and this isn't including the fees to leave the conference. UNLV keep winning and become a big player, and the MWC could end up much closer to the of the Monkey Pax2 conference!

All right you Coug-hating shitheads, I started a thread on my board. Let's see if it gets any traction. Bad news is it is up against a thread started by one of our resident freaks spreading lies about FEMA and hurricane Helene.

I'd rather hear about FEMA and their horseshit of an organization.

• Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000

I think OSU/WAZZU is about 18-20
Boise 13-15
SDSU 12-14
CSU 9-10
Fresno 9-10
USU 5

SAC states < 1
UNLV is probably 8-9

Memphis 16
Tulane 10
USF 9
UTSA 8

Take the original 10 ( with the AAC) and you will get around 12 mil per team per year as reported

• Wow
Reactions: LVRebel2000

Its always fun to read the pac perspective from pac fans. I can emphasize since most of them are just as delusional as our fans.

Boise 13-15
SDSU 12-14
CSU 9-10
Fresno 9-10
USU 5

SAC states < 1
UNLV is probably 8-9

Memphis 16
Tulane 10
USF 9
UTSA 8

Take the original 10 ( with the AAC) and you will get around 12 mil per team per year as reported
I think even with this configuration, $12m is too high. Osu/wsu and Boise are a little over valued in this. $10m might be a little bit more tolerable in today’s market. I couldn’t imagine CBS stomaching $12m a year per school. They’re hemorrhaging money. Espn too.

Boise 13-15
SDSU 12-14
CSU 9-10
Fresno 9-10
USU 5

SAC states < 1
UNLV is probably 8-9

Memphis 16
Tulane 10
USF 9
UTSA 8

I tend to concur with your upper numbers. On Sac St, they are an unknown IMHO. Given the outpouring of support by that rather large community, they could surprise if the Pac starts coming to town.

Memphis and Tulane - Their YTD viewership results don't really seem to support those numbers. But then again, they have been relegated to relatively obscure networks. Which says something in itself. Check out Week 5 (below). Oh and Sac St made it in Week 0. Drawing more than either Memphis or Tulane did in Week 5. But factor in networks, day/time and competition.

I'd rather hear about FEMA and their horseshit of an organization.
Did they really send illegal immigrants to other states??

Our government is trash.

Please Take Hawaii off our hands.

They are in the Pacific Ocean. Doesn’t make sense that they are in our conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT