ADVERTISEMENT

P5 Schools agree to payments to players

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
It will be interesting to see how this works out. Budget cuts could be deep for some schools.

So, the Pac-12 agreed as well. It will be interesting to see how this will impact the Pac-2 going forward.

Reactions: 220reb
So, the Pac-12 agreed as well. It will be interesting to see how this will impact the Pac-2 going forward.
Yeah the full current Pac-12 was able/allowed to vote on this as a conference. I don't see this as a good thing at all. Now if it meant that NIL was shut down, I might have a different opinion. But it does not.

It's a very fluid situation. It feels like it's going to create a two-tier system immediately. Unless the NCAA allows some creativity, I don't see how the G5 can compete. But I feel like the NCAA would be motivated financially on some level to find some and advocate for inclusive options for FCS and G5.

It's a very fluid situation. It feels like it's going to create a two-tier system immediately. Unless the NCAA allows some creativity, I don't see how the G5 can compete. But I feel like the NCAA would be motivated financially on some level to find some and advocate for inclusive options for FCS and G5.
Hey my new Rebel friends. Sharing the post I just made on my home Rivals board. We'll see what, if anything, my misguided Coug brethren will say. Probably not much.

NCAA Shit going down
Links below. Stupid BS lawsuit by ASU swimmer gets approved. Now the NCAA says schools can pay athletes directly. Oh and Penn State is going to spend $700 million to enhance its 106,000 capacity FB stadium.

OK Cougs, it's time to get real. Let's make sure you are all aware that WSU is not eligible to participate in the 12 team CFP playoff in 2024, because we will no longer be P5, and we are not in a G5 conference. While we are eligible to compete for the WCC title(s) in BB, we get -0- money from any NCCA tournament allocations even if we earn them (recall that women's BB might start getting their own allocation crumbs.)

The Pac-2 has to keep the conference alive to get the approx. $30M in FY 27-30 NCAA BB tournament allocations. If we bailed in FY25, we would lose year 2, and maybe(?) the $50M final Rose Bowl allocation. Or have to share with the traitors. I can't find an answer to that one.

WSU cannot compete with the P4 in NIL, paying players directly, or FB ticket revenues. I am sure that I am missing some things. To hold out and try to beg our way into the ACC or Big-12 is just a suicide mission on many fronts, including the above and the logistical costs involved.

So it is imperative that we recognize reality and engage the MW in the reverse merger to become the Pac-12/14. For FY 2026. F- year 2 of the WCC deal. F-the year 2 highway robbery of our shitty affiliation deal with the MW. F paying out our precious $250M (and being spent by the day) to lure any subset of MW or other teams to join the new Pac. Get us in our new league next year, start earning NCAA BB money again, and be positioned for whatever the top G5 team(s) may get in the next iteration of the CFP. And be a real league for upcoming FY 27 TV negotiations as the MW deal ends in FY 26. And finally, hope to keep some of our Bowl affiliations, logically the Holiday and/or LV, both of which are in MW cities.

This is so obvious, and so logical.

Hey my new Rebel friends. Sharing the post I just made on my home Rivals board. We'll see what, if anything, my misguided Coug brethren will say. Probably not much.

NCAA Shit going down
Links below. Stupid BS lawsuit by ASU swimmer gets approved. Now the NCAA says schools can pay athletes directly. Oh and Penn State is going to spend $700 million to enhance its 106,000 capacity FB stadium.

OK Cougs, it's time to get real. Let's make sure you are all aware that WSU is not eligible to participate in the 12 team CFP playoff in 2024, because we will no longer be P5, and we are not in a G5 conference. While we are eligible to compete for the WCC title(s) in BB, we get -0- money from any NCCA tournament allocations even if we earn them (recall that women's BB might start getting their own allocation crumbs.)

The Pac-2 has to keep the conference alive to get the approx. $30M in FY 27-30 NCAA BB tournament allocations. If we bailed in FY25, we would lose year 2, and maybe(?) the $50M final Rose Bowl allocation. Or have to share with the traitors. I can't find an answer to that one.

WSU cannot compete with the P4 in NIL, paying players directly, or FB ticket revenues. I am sure that I am missing some things. To hold out and try to beg our way into the ACC or Big-12 is just a suicide mission on many fronts, including the above and the logistical costs involved.

So it is imperative that we recognize reality and engage the MW in the reverse merger to become the Pac-12/14. For FY 2026. F- year 2 of the WCC deal. F-the year 2 highway robbery of our shitty affiliation deal with the MW. F paying out our precious $250M (and being spent by the day) to lure any subset of MW or other teams to join the new Pac. Get us in our new league next year, start earning NCAA BB money again, and be positioned for whatever the top G5 team(s) may get in the next iteration of the CFP. And be a real league for upcoming FY 27 TV negotiations as the MW deal ends in FY 26. And finally, hope to keep some of our Bowl affiliations, logically the Holiday and/or LV, both of which are in MW cities.

This is so obvious, and so logical.

This is some good reality!

This doesn't sound good. No wonder Harper is trying to raise $150 million.

This article mentions that the NCAA will have to withhold distribution money to schools. Are they also talking about NCAA Units as part of that distribution?

Last edited:
Reactions: bcvegaspt
I wonder what they're going to call their minor pro football league? Not interested, regardless. I'll stick with the NFL for pro football. I haven't watched any CFP games since Washington played in one and they're just pushing me farther away with all this pay to play BS.

As for college football, there's a pretty good NAIA school up in the Boise area that's got my attention....

This doesn't sound good. No wonder Harper is trying to raise $150 million.

This article mentions that the NCAA will have to withhold distribution money to schools. Are they also talking about NCAA Units as part of that distribution?
However it winds up, whatever twists and turns … ultimately … we know where we end up, where schools like us end up …. You could see the high potential of this coming over a decade ago …. UNLV had ample time to move forward and they didn’t. That’s poor leadership … if my memory serves correctly, the only two AD’s that saw football as the ticket were one I actually liked, Livengood … and one I despised, Hamrick … but neither was able to make any progress … the rest were “basketball will take care of itself and everything else”.

However it winds up, whatever twists and turns … ultimately … we know where we end up, where schools like us end up …. You could see the high potential of this coming over a decade ago …. UNLV had ample time to move forward and they didn’t. That’s poor leadership … if my memory serves correctly, the only two AD’s that saw football as the ticket were one I actually liked, Livengood … and one I despised, Hamrick … but neither was able to make any progress … the rest were “basketball will take care of itself and everything else”.
Even if UNLV did get into a major conference like the Pac12 or the Big 12, I really do not think in the long run it would make any difference at all, except in the number of year until UNLV became irrelevant at the top level in football. We have already watch as the Pac12 has collapsed and falling behind the big two (SEC and Big10), how long do you think it will take before the Big 12 and the ACC also drop off behind the two super conferences? The few top level programs that are still in the ACC and Big12 will end up joining the big two, and the rest will drop back to lower level conferences. UNLV was never going to get an invite to the SEC or the Big10, so why even worry about it anymore? Sooner or later these schools will figure out that in order to stay at the highest level the schools would need to spend millions beyond what football brings into the schools to have what effectively is equivalent to an arena or XFL pro football conference.

Secondary, how long do you think it will be before the non revenue and women's teams also file lawsuits to get the same money as the college football programs? The argument for paying the football players is that football and basketball are the programs that bring in the money, but now they will be paying more to the players at many of the programs than they bring in from those sports out of the college funds, how long before this big mess ends up in the federal court system?

Last edited:
If I'm looking at this correctly the G5 schools have to pay 12% of the $2.7 billion. Not all G5 conference were earning revenue equally. Five years ago our media contract was less than $2 million dollars and now we are at $4 million dollars. The P5 conferences have to pay 24%. And, the real kicker is that this latest settlement was agreed upon by the P5 conferences and we didn't get a say. The P5 agreed on 24% and agreed we have to pay 12%? Our share should be somewhere in relation to our revenue compared to the revenue of the P5 conferences. We are getting fcked here. Someone needs to file a lawsuit on our behalf asap to stop this nonsense.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If I'm looking at this correctly the G5 schools have to pay 12% of the $2.7 billion. Not all G5 conference were earning revenue equally. Five years ago our media contract was less than $2 million dollars and now we are at $4 million dollars. The P5 conferences have to pay 24%. And, the real kicker is that this latest settlement was agreed upon by the P5 conferences and we didn't get a say. The P5 agreed on 24% and agreed we have to pay 12%? Our share should be somewhere in relation to our revenue compared to the revenue of the P5 conferences. We are getting fcked here. Someone needs to file a lawsuit on our behalf asap to stop this nonsense.
It won’t matter. Power and money wins. Not what’s actually ethical.

Old news, but all this would've happened longer ago if Tark wouldn't have settled with the NCAA. He had that case literally won and it would've been the death of the NCAA then. Onwards and upwards, we can't control what we don't.

It won’t matter. Power and money wins. Not what’s actually ethical.
Not always true. There are a lot of Senators in states without any top level football programs that will most likely get involved when they are trying to stick a bill to universities that at best broke even in regards to athletic departments. My expectation is this will ultimately involve the Supreme Court and/or Federal Government.

Not always true. There are a lot of Senators in states without any top level football programs that will most likely get involved when they are trying to stick a bill to universities that at best broke even in regards to athletic departments. My expectation is this will ultimately involve the Supreme Court and/or Federal Government.
Exactly. This article follows up on the one posted earlier. And it says that the conferences that are basketball centric are going to be most hurt by this as most of them use NCAA money to clear at least half of their budgets. ... thankful we made our transition to prioritizing football, but man I wish it would have came a lot sooner. See Link below: https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-settlement-3e57f652b15ad8cd1c8e7e2bbc9765ce

Reactions: 220reb
Exactly. This article follows up on the one posted earlier. And it says that the conferences that are basketball centric are going to be most hurt by this as most of them use NCAA money to clear at least half of their budgets. ... thankful we made our transition to prioritizing football, but man I wish it would have came a lot sooner. See Link below: https://apnews.com/article/ncaa-settlement-3e57f652b15ad8cd1c8e7e2bbc9765ce
Good link. I saw just what that one commissioner saw when he said we weren't involved in the settlement agreement nor the damage allocation model. The P5 are telling us what they think is our fair share which is complete bullshit. They never care about the media revenue inequities but they sure think it's fair for us to pay a big chunk of the penalty. Bastards. The damage allocation modeling should be based upon actual sports income revenue percentages by school. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to come up with the amounts per school. The way those P5 allocated damages benefits them and screws us. A blind man can see that.

Reactions: UNLVbro
Good link. I saw just what that one commissioner saw when he said we weren't involved in the settlement agreement nor the damage allocation model. The P5 are telling us what they think is our fair share which is complete bullshit. They never care about the media revenue inequities but they sure think it's fair for us to pay a big chunk of the penalty. Bastards. The damage allocation modeling should be based upon actual sports income revenue percentages by school. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to come up with the amounts per school. The way those P5 allocated damages benefits them and screws us. A blind man can see that.
Exactly.

Pfft. Let's be real here. Throw some money at those politicians and they'll fall in line. Easy peasy.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Pfft. Let's be real here. Throw some money at those politicians and they'll fall in line. Easy peasy.
Exactly.

We’ve always known that money controls. But never thought we’d see such a low moral bar. People “break” easily meaning they can be swayed , bought … pennies for doing something they know is wrong and something that might impact millions.

And the safety net, law/order/justice … is just as easy to break.

The moral compass of this country has been shattered to smithereens. I never thought we’d see every system devolve into what it is today.

Money and power gets whatever they want. Right and wrong no longer matters.

Anybody got a list of politicians and their alma maters???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT