ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Top 3 High Schools Vegas/Henderson?

YellowSpinE

Lottery Pick
Jan 4, 2007
Saratoga Spings, UT
Speaking academically and socially in Vegas/Henderson. Sports aren't important, but the kids are in band.

Moving back west this summer to.... somewhere.... To be honest Vegas is only on my radar due to housing costs/cost of living (and we like urban living). If kids were grown and gone it would probably be top of our list. Schools in Clark County though do not excite me and are a huge negative on my pro/con checklist. But a plethora of rental homes on the market that are also pet friendly (have 3 big dogs). Anyway, I'll have a Sophomore and an 8th grader. Where ever we land like to be there for the next 5 years for the kids to wrap up at one high school.

Sorry for the off topic, but figured you all might have some insight. We haven't lived in Vegas for 15 years, so much has changed since then.

Speaking academically and socially in Vegas/Henderson. Sports aren't important, but the kids are in band.

Moving back west this summer to.... somewhere.... To be honest Vegas is only on my radar due to housing costs/cost of living (and we like urban living). If kids were grown and gone it would probably be top of our list. Schools in Clark County though do not excite me and are a huge negative on my pro/con checklist. But a plethora of rental homes on the market that are also pet friendly (have 3 big dogs). Anyway, I'll have a Sophomore and an 8th grader. Where ever we land like to be there for the next 5 years for the kids to wrap up at one high school.

Sorry for the off topic, but figured you all might have some insight. We haven't lived in Vegas for 15 years, so much has changed since then.
My girlfriend has a 16 year old at Coronado in Henderson. It's supposed to be one of, if not the highest rated public schools in the county. It's hard for me to attest to because I feel as you do about public school in this county. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how much less is required now than when I went to school and how much of a loss there's been in the social aspect.

That said, the school is safe. Area is good. No real school issues. She's in the orchestra and I believe the music department is supposed to also be highly rated. She loves it there.

Coronado is basically just off Eastern and St Rose Parkway, at the very foot of Anthem.

If you are planning on that school, feel free to ask any other questions about it or the surrounding area.

If you're okay with driving (depending on where you work), check out Henderson near I-95 & College. Good elementary school (Smalley ES), good middle school (Mannion) and good High school with great band (Foothill). It's a little quieter out there too.

My girlfriend has a 16 year old at Coronado in Henderson. It's supposed to be one of, if not the highest rated public schools in the county. It's hard for me to attest to because I feel as you do about public school in this county. I have a hard time wrapping my head around how much less is required now than when I went to school and how much of a loss there's been in the social aspect.

That said, the school is safe. Area is good. No real school issues. She's in the orchestra and I believe the music department is supposed to also be highly rated. She loves it there.

Coronado is basically just off Eastern and St Rose Parkway, at the very foot of Anthem.

If you are planning on that school, feel free to ask any other questions about it or the surrounding area.

We had a chance to move to Vegas 4-5 years ago, but if fell through at the last minute. The company I worked for the office was at Green Valley Ranch. Spent like 6 months commuting to Vegas from VA. Coronado was top of our list at that time with work being right there. And I think Del Web Jr. HS zoning overlaps Coronado, and from what I looked at today seems top notch.

I plan to work from home, but if that is denied my employer has an office somewhere in .... Summerlin..... W Russel/Beltway I think. Vegas would bump up our list if I must report to an office as our choices narrow to Vegas, Denver, or CA. I'm NOT going to CA and Denver is just an odd location for us with where the wife's family is.

We had a chance to move to Vegas 4-5 years ago, but if fell through at the last minute. The company I worked for the office was at Green Valley Ranch. Spent like 6 months commuting to Vegas from VA. Coronado was top of our list at that time with work being right there. And I think Del Web Jr. HS zoning overlaps Coronado, and from what I looked at today seems top notch.

I plan to work from home, but if that is denied my employer has an office somewhere in .... Summerlin..... W Russel/Beltway I think. Vegas would bump up our list if I must report to an office as our choices narrow to Vegas, Denver, or CA. I'm NOT going to CA and Denver is just an odd location for us with where the wife's family is.
I'd love to relocate at some point having been in Vegas my whole life. Still want to be close but want some cooler, even colder weather, and some damn seasons. But still want to be close to Vegas for the sake of family. Denver area tops my list, but interested in Boise and SLC as well. But a ton of spiderwebs to crawl through until I get to that point.

Zillow has a good rating system for schools locally and I believe Coronado was rated well.

If marching band is not their thing but are band geeks then Las Vegas Academy is where you should look. They do need to try out and it is downtown. Here is the website. My son loved it there and he became 1st chair tuba in the state. http://www.lvaband.com/

Reactions: RebelScrub
Thanks all.

Yea, SLC (Utah County) unfortunately is where we will probably end up. But the housing rental market there is rough, especially finding dog friendly places scouring Zillow. And we need to bring our mutts!

E4Px1tnZibZJpEb58
--- seriously google photos, it shouldn't be hard to share a picture!

Ha! I have a 3 bedroom rental property coming Vacant in February in GV. It's zoned for Miller MS (VERY good band program) and Coronado HS. But those dogs.....

I concur with most the posts here. My brother's kids went to Miller JHS and Coronado HS. He could have put his kids in private school but both Miller & Coronado were so highly ranked he didn't see the need to. Also the Green Valley area those schools are zoned for is really nice. I live in Green Valley Ranch too and love it. Henderson Parks are among the best in the country & Henderson offers wonderful community family oriented events. You get a real community feel I didn't get when I lived in Vegas.

Tough to go wrong with either Coronado or Foothill. Foothill's band program is probably the best in the city. They marched in the Parade of Roses this year and I believe they were in the Macy's Parade (or another big one) a few years ago.

For middle schools, Del Webb or Miller are in the same area and are both very good. Del Webb primarily feeds to Coronado, and Miller feeds mostly to Coronado, with some going to Foothill. If you move a little further out toward Foothill, you can get a little more house for your money.

If you can swing the money, Bishop Gorman is always a good way to go for high school too. There are a few solid public schools here and there, but the district is pretty bad and poorly run from the top down. Think of it this way: I've been a public school teacher in Vegas/Henderson for 10 years... I put my son in private school.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelScrub
Tough to go wrong with either Coronado or Foothill. Foothill's band program is probably the best in the city. They marched in the Parade of Roses this year and I believe they were in the Macy's Parade (or another big one) a few years ago.

For middle schools, Del Webb or Miller are in the same area and are both very good. Del Webb primarily feeds to Coronado, and Miller feeds mostly to Coronado, with some going to Foothill. If you move a little further out toward Foothill, you can get a little more house for your money.

If you can swing the money, Bishop Gorman is always a good way to go for high school too. There are a few solid public schools here and there, but the district is pretty bad and poorly run from the top down. Think of it this way: I've been a public school teacher in Vegas/Henderson for 10 years... I put my son in private school.
Like the laser eye surgeon who wears glasses or Chevy car dealer owner who drives a Ford. Says a lot.

Reactions: GiantKiller0
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT