ADVERTISEMENT

OT:Stadium discussion

Las Vegas is a small market and not LA and will have to pay a premium to get the Raiders. That's the realities. Additionally, the NFL and the Raiders are a generational opportunity that will not become available for another 25 years. Also, what's the economic value for a tourism based economy like Las Vegas to host the Super Bowl, the Final 4 and other mega events? That's the ultimate decision community leaders are going to have to make. Then there is the UNLV angle that has to be considered.

Not that it will be a key decision on this deal, but if your looking at it from a key driver of tourist traffic for large sporting events (final four, superbowl), the town already packs them in for those events. Try and get a room or step into a sports book on those weekends. The Raiders are the prize, UNLV gets honorable mention and we have a great stadium to host other larger events.

This isn't necessarily true. While we may pack them in over certain dates, rates have not begun to approach 2007 levels. A tightly compressed city drives up rate and ultimately the tax dollars needed to pay off the tax payers portion. I will say 750 is not going to fly. I think it gets to a 55 percent private 45 percent Public and everyone walks away happy. This is going to happen, its just a matter of getting the splits right.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Not that it will be a key decision on this deal, but if your looking at it from a key driver of tourist traffic for large sporting events (final four, superbowl), the town already packs them in for those events. Try and get a room or step into a sports book on those weekends. The Raiders are the prize, UNLV gets honorable mention and we have a great stadium to host other larger events.

Do you really feel the revenue generated for a Super Bowl or Final 4 weekend in Las Vegas and not played in Vegas would be the same as if the Super Bowl or Final 4 were played in the Las Vegas Dome on the strip? Ok. Also, what about the Pac 12 football championship? A major bowel game or the NCAA football title game? A Las Vegas Raiders playoff or AFC championship game? Another point, what's the marketing value for Las Vegas tourism if the Raiders move to Las Vegas and they are playing a national game on Monday Night Football on the Las Vegas Strip?

Any study trying to compare a dome in another City to Las Vegas is comparing apples to oranges IMO.

Reactions: rebelluver
What about the Braves' stadium? Not even built 20 years ago and taxpayers will still be paying for it for years, even after it is torn down now that they are building a new one in suburbia. Now the Rangers, also with a perfectly good and not old stadium, are trying to do the same. It is ridiculous and a colossal waste of money.

Oddly enough all examples of baseball stadiums. Funny you brought up the Rangers ballpark, I was just there to see them play the Pirates. Saw Darvish pitch a gem. Its a beautiful park, no need to tear it down. I agree. However both examples you gave were for new stadiums to replace old stadiums. That changes the narrative a little bit.

I get people not loving the deal as it currently stands. I really do. However it boils down to do we or don't we want the stadium. Period. This may not be the best deal, but it may prove to be the only deal. The deal would not 'bankrupt' the town. Nobody here would be touched by it.

That money was never going to be used for anything other than what it is currently being used for.

I am not going to pretend I give a damn about Mark and Mary Smith on vacation from Oklahoma and how the taxes they are paying are being used. I don't. Nobody cared before, why now?

Reactions: rebelluver
Do you really feel the revenue generated for a Super Bowl or Final 4 weekend in Las Vegas and not played in Vegas would be the same as if the Super Bowl or Final 4 were played in the Las Vegas Dome on the strip? Ok. Also, what about the Pac 12 football championship? A major bowel game or the NCAA football title game? A Las Vegas Raiders playoff or AFC championship game? Another point, what's the marketing value for Las Vegas tourism if the Raiders move to Las Vegas and they are playing a national game on Monday Night Football on the Las Vegas Strip?

Any study trying to compare a dome in another City to Las Vegas is comparing apples to oranges IMO.

Don't forget Concerts and possibly more conventions.

Don't forget Concerts and possibly more conventions.

You are right. Mega events and even convention space during the spring and summer. Las Vegas is just a different animal and there is no similar City for comparison. Also, and this is overlooked, the current Las Vegas tax structure as it relates to possible funding is what makes this work

Oddly enough all examples of baseball stadiums. Funny you brought up the Rangers ballpark, I was just there to see them play the Pirates. Saw Darvish pitch a gem. Its a beautiful park, no need to tear it down. I agree. However both examples you gave were for new stadiums to replace old stadiums. That changes the narrative a little bit.

I get people not loving the deal as it currently stands. I really do. However it boils down to do we or don't we want the stadium. Period. This may not be the best deal, but it may prove to be the only deal. The deal would not 'bankrupt' the town. Nobody here would be touched by it.

That money was never going to be used for anything other than what it is currently being used for.

I am not going to pretend I give a damn about Mark and Mary Smith on vacation from Oklahoma and how the taxes they are paying are being used. I don't. Nobody cared before, why now?

Exactly! Also, up until the stadium became a real possibility no one complained or even cared about the $2.5 BILLION of tax dollars that was earmarked to be spent to renovate and add to the existing convention center space.

Of course there's not a peep, stating the obvious. Conventions are the bread and butter of the town, there's no question it's vastly more important than an NFL stadium. Does anybody really need that spelt out to them?

Of course there's not a peep, stating the obvious. Conventions are the bread and butter of the town, there's no question it's vastly more important than an NFL stadium. Does anybody really need that spelt out to them?

You are missing the point. Three of the top 10 largest convention centers in the US are in Las Vegas. You are assuming there is a need for new space. What conventions has Las Vegas lost out on because it lack capacity? None that I am aware of. Also, when was the need for new convention space established and reviewed? Just because the LVVCA says so doesn't mean it's true does it? Especially with the significant private space available such as the Sands and Mandalay Bay which are two of the top ten largest convention centers in the US whether public or private along with the public owned Las Vegas Convention Center. Is there a need and at the tune of $2.5 Billion?

Source for largest convention centers as of 2015: http://www.statista.com/statistics/255171/convention-centers-in-the-us-ranked-by-size/

One other point, a dome stadium would actually add to the types of conventions Vegas can accommodate in that it can also be used as an exhibit hall for large machinery and equipment. Currently Vegas does not have that capacity. Moreover, it's not a either or proposition. Las Vegas can still doe both. The Convention Center can be scaled back by a half a $500 mill or simply delayed.

Why does it cost more to add a large building with empty space ( convention center) than it cost to build a high tech football stadium?

Good question.

Yea, really good question. Light reading to put you to sleep. Sounds like a complete makeover of everything. Tech, roofs, food, expansion, modernization, blah blah blah.

And people are actually down and don't care about an NFL team? I would go to Vegas whenever the Bears were in town (which wouldn't be often :/ ). But it's cheaper than going to Chicago..... NFL, UNLV Football, Soccer events, concerts, maybe a paved parking lot? Long list of uses for domed stadium.

Reactions: RebelinWA
Yea, really good question. Light reading to put you to sleep. Sounds like a complete makeover of everything. Tech, roofs, food, expansion, modernization, blah blah blah.

And people are actually down and don't care about an NFL team? I would go to Vegas whenever the Bears were in town (which wouldn't be often :/ ). But it's cheaper than going to Chicago..... NFL, UNLV Football, Soccer events, concerts, maybe a paved parking lot? Long list of uses for domed stadium.
Did you say PAVED PARKING!! Paved parking at a stadium,is that a thing?

Reactions: RebelScrub
The more traction this gains, the more we are going to have to resign ourselves to its inevitability. A special legislative session will vote on this sometime this year or early next and locals will have zero say.
When the Black Knights are announced June 22nd, we may see more of an effort to keep this stadium on the forefront of media coverage.

Reactions: manic water
Yea, really good question.

I'm in the same boat as you. I go see the Cubbies every year at Cashman and head to CA or AZ to see my Cubs, Bears or Blackhawks. Looking forward to seeing the Blackhawks when they come to town and hopefully someday the Bears.

There are plenty of uses for the dome. I'm just over the threats of moving to a different site. Who even said they could have the Riv. site? Jessup & Goodman need to stand up to Davis and say the UNLV land is what we are offering if you want the tax $$ if not, we will build our own dome there with the tax $$$ and you are on your own. It is a game of chicken, who is gonna blink first. Seems to me the Raiders need us more since they will be homeless soon. Plus we can with hold Sam Boyd Stadium if they don't build on the UNLV land.

Reactions: manic water
The one thing that has hurt the Las Vegas special events and convention business the most is The AT&T stadium in Dallas Texas

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...VkyM&itg=1&usg=__LyViJHUEqFyq_AOsZ1feyLR3rMQ=

They have made a strong attempt to steal event like the NFR, and they have made roads into conventions that need large assembly areas. A large stadium is a positive for the convention and tourism business, not just for UNLV and Raider football.

Copa America.... would be a dream if Vegas could host it. Seeing team USA play here would be amazing. And I would hope they never let mexico play here.

I attended the Argentina v Chile match in San Jose last week. Phenomenal atmosphere and I wish we had something comparable here

I'm in the same boat as you. I go see the Cubbies every year at Cashman and head to CA or AZ to see my Cubs, Bears or Blackhawks. Looking forward to seeing the Blackhawks when they come to town and hopefully someday the Bears.

There are plenty of uses for the dome. I'm just over the threats of moving to a different site. Who even said they could have the Riv. site? Jessup & Goodman need to stand up to Davis and say the UNLV land is what we are offering if you want the tax $$ if not, we will build our own dome there with the tax $$$ and you are on your own. It is a game of chicken, who is gonna blink first. Seems to me the Raiders need us more since they will be homeless soon. Plus we can with hold Sam Boyd Stadium if they don't build on the UNLV land.
I believe you are 100% correct and these rats are now saying "Tropicana is not an option". Why?

Because they want it on the Strip where it benefits them most. Touting an on-campus stadium was their pitch now they're trying to pull a bait and switch.
I don't think so... On Campus or NOT AT ALL!!!

Reactions: Rebel Chi-girl
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT