ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Jury duty Summkons..

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
Ever gotten JDS? I got it like 4 years ago and weaseled out by going to my shrink and getting a paper that showed I was bipolar and that I couldn’t concentrate for 8 hours..

Well this time I got one to serve in September. Here’s the difference, I’m not on weed so I want to actively participate in sending someone to possibly die in prison or serve a lengthy time.

What’s your experience and have you ever served?

Funny thing is that I saw digit at a jury summons many years ago. He was very cool under the mic.

The pay must be really good with the cost of living and a rise of minimum wage to 10.50 an hour.

Ever gotten JDS? I got it like 4 years ago and weaseled out by going to my shrink and getting a paper that showed I was bipolar and that I couldn’t concentrate for 8 hours..

Well this time I got one to serve in September. Here’s the difference, I’m not on weed so I want to actively participate in sending someone to possibly die in prison or serve a lengthy time.

Funny thing is that I saw digit at a jury summons many years ago. He was very cool under the mic.

The pay must be really good with the cost of living and a rise of minimum wage to 10.50 an hour.
Most people want to make stupid excuses, to get out of jury duty.
I served jury duty, 5 years ago.
As an American citizen, every body should do it at least once in their lifetime.
It is something that you learn from the justice side of things.

Most people want to make stupid excuses, to get out of jury duty.
I served jury duty, 5 years ago.
As an American citizen, every body should do it at least once in their lifetime.
It is something that you learn from the justice side of things.
I’m gonna do it but..waking up at 7 AM in the f’n morning is gonna be a bitch. I’m a night owl and don’t wake up till like 10 AM.

Last time I went, this Asian guy was being tried for vehicular manslaughter. Dude was on weed..I could already tell from his look as his lawyers were eyeballing me.

I’m gonna do it but..waking up at 7 AM in the f’n morning is gonna be a bitch. I’m a night owl and don’t wake up till like 10 AM.

Last time I went, this Asian guy was being tried for vehicular manslaughter. Dude was on weed..I could already tell from his look as his lawyers were eyeballing me.
So, you were one of the 12 jurors before?
This would be second time as a juror then?
That's like, getting hit by lightning twice.

Last edited:

Been on a Jury once and a Grand Jury once. If you can take the time a jury can be interesting. Just be aware you may get on a civil jury and the case can be mind numbingly boring. The Grand Jury was really interesting as the cases were criminal and there were dozens of them.

So, you were one of the 12 jurors before?
This would be second time as a juror then?
That's like, getting hit by lightning twice.
No I made the last cut because I had to drive all the way to my Shrink’s office on Sahara and Lindellto get a signed paper that I was bipolar and unable to concentrate. I drove back and everybody wondered where I was at. I just presented a signed paper of my “illness” to the judge.

I’m definitely going to serve this time around.

Reactions: WYNN or Dye
No I made the last cut because I had to drive all the way to my Shrink’s office to get a signed paper that I was bipolar and unable to concentrate. I drove back and everybody wondered where I was at. I just presented a signed paper of my “illness” to the judge.

I’m definitely going to serve this time around.
Do it. I don't get why a lot of people are scared to do it.

Dude the Jury Summons is the day after my f’n birthday. I’m gonna be hung the **** over.

Do it. It’s your civic duty.
Gonna be 47 on September 4th. I’m gonna be at Harrah’s Carnival Court to celebrate and have a good time. Come on out. Just gonna be me and whoever. Be dancing live music. Leave the kids at home.

IDK. IMO at least 30% of the town wouldn't be able to pay their rent if they missed a day at work.
I was ready to go in even though I said that I have homebound patients that will miss their appts with me if I'm unable to make it. I told my patients that, if I get chosen, I'll have to see them after 5pm most likely, or on the weekend, and only once per week since I have others to see as well. Luckily, the night before, I received an email and a message saying that I didn't need to show up.

It wasn't a matter of not willing to do for my Country, it was a matter of my patients getting worse from not being seen. That was my hesitation (even though I planned to go). Many of my patients are Veterans so they are owed any benefits they receive now.

I wouldn't mind going if I didn't have to drive downtown to do it. They should have a way to do it virtually from home. I dread getting jury duty for a boring trial full of heavy technical jargon involving law, finance, or real estate.

• Love
Reactions: RebelScrub
I've been summoned several times in my life, but only once ended up in the jury box during the interview with potential jurors. The prosecutor didn't like one of my answers so the removed me from the jury pool, but I was willing to be on it.

I've been summoned several times in my life, but only once ended up in the jury box during the interview with potential jurors. The prosecutor didn't like one of my answers so the removed me from the jury pool, but I was willing to be on it.
I thought it would be a huge inconvenience … I was removed from the jury pool very late (prosecution) for a murder trial. But it wasn’t an inconvenience, turned out it was cool. The day drags but it was good to see the process.

They delved into my personal background (all the mob shit and associations/experiences with law enforcement) as well as professional (science) … it was fair, I was honest … I don’t think the prosecutor wanted somebody with a strong scientific background though … I’m assuming it was probably because of dna/lab results type of stuff, maybe it’s just the way that sort of mind thinks … so I understood it why he might want me out. I was disappointed, wanted to be part of the jury at that point … but completely understand.

Because it was a good experience, if/when called again, I’d like to serve whether it’s criminal or civil.

Reactions: RebelScrub
I wouldn't mind going if I didn't have to drive downtown to do it. They should have a way to do it virtually from home. I dread getting jury duty for a boring trial full of heavy technical jargon involving law, finance, or real estate.
Virtual court..lol, I wish we still was under Covid lockdown.

I thought it would be a huge inconvenience … I was removed from the jury pool very late (prosecution) for a murder trial. But it wasn’t an inconvenience, turned out it was cool. The day drags but it was good to see the process.

They delved into my personal background (all the mob shit and associations/experiences with law enforcement) as well as professional (science) … it was fair, I was honest … I don’t think the prosecutor wanted somebody with a strong scientific background though … I’m assuming it was probably because of dna/lab results type of stuff, maybe it’s just the way that sort of mind thinks … so I understood it why he might want me out. I was disappointed, wanted to be part of the jury at that point … but completely understand.

Because it was a good experience, if/when called again, I’d like to serve whether it’s criminal or civil.
I was honest like you, and they removed me. Different reasons than some of yours, but still, that's why they asked the questions. I kind of want to go through an actual trial just to see how everything plays out. Just not one of those civil ones that goes on for weeks or months.

I was honest like you, and they removed me. Different reasons than some of yours, but still, that's why they asked the questions. I kind of want to go through an actual trial just to see how everything plays out. Just not one of those civil ones that goes on for weeks or months.
I think lying either to get on our off a jury … eh, just answer honestly, whatever happens, happens.

Some people absolutely did not want to be there and you could tell by their answers.

Some criminal ones can drag on, too. How long did the OJ trial go?

Obviously, wasn’t privy to deliberations but based on what we saw …. Not guilty would have been a pretty easy conclusion for me. Do I think he actually did it? That’s a different story.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Been on a Jury once and a Grand Jury once. If you can take the time a jury can be interesting. Just be aware you may get on a civil jury and the case can be mind numbingly boring. The Grand Jury was really interesting as the cases were criminal and there were dozens of them.
I also did a Grand Jury. Was on it for 2 years, but then moved. A lot of interesting cases, but my favorite was a guy who got busted for identity theft. Guess whose identity he stole? I'll give you a hint; on the credit card application under Occupation, he wrote "Point Guard - NY Knicks". Needless to say, I raised two hands for the indictment!!!

I also did a Grand Jury. Was on it for 2 years, but then moved. A lot of interesting cases, but my favorite was a guy who got busted for identity theft. Guess whose identity he stole? I'll give you a hint; on the credit card application under Occupation, he wrote "Point Guard - NY Knicks". Needless to say, I raised two hands for the indictment!!!
You were on it for 2 years? How does that work? Do they pay you when you're on it for that long?

You were on it for 2 years? How does that work? Do they pay you when you're on it for that long?
We had dozens of cases and met every Wednesday.
My work paid me (not sure how they were reimbursed).
The court paid me as well (but less money than I made), but sometimes we wouldn't be there very long.

The crazy thing was some jurors in there would sleep, read books, whatever. The DA always had enough evidence to take it to court, at least that's how we saw it because there was never a counter argument (except OG). You only needed majority to indict. In every case but 1, every person voted "yay" to indict. The 1 time it didn't happen was a case where 2 IRS agents knocked on the door and the guy answered with a shotgun and the DA said when the agents ran away to their car, the accused shot at them (probably shot in the air, you don't easily miss with a shotgun).

Anyways, the guy DA was miffed that it wasn't unanimous and asked why the single guy didn't "yay" and he said "anything "IRS" I will vote against, anything". I liked that guy.

The only 2 names that I ever recognized were Greg Anthony (as victim) and Oscar Goodman (defendant). Yes, Goodman was indicted with the rest. He was actually the only defendant that ever showed up to Grand Jury and gave his protest/speech that didn't win anyone over.

I may have said too much, but it was a long time ago and I assume it has all been closed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT