ADVERTISEMENT

ONE. MORE. YEAR!!!!

I’ve agreed with most of the firings over the years but this one doesn’t feel right.
Tony thanks for the hard work raising the money to build this beautiful new football facility now get out.
Just doesn’t seem right.

I get it...

But doesn't it work the other way as well?

A guy wins 3,4,5,4,4 and you leave him in charge, should you expect different results?

Wouldn't that be doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

I see little to no point in hiring a new coach when we are going to once again pay less than every other school in this conference, but expect to not finish in the bottom 4.

We got more than we paid for, and we are still ungrateful.

I see little to no point in hiring a new coach when we are going to once again pay less than every other school in this conference, but expect to not finish in the bottom 4.

We got more than we paid for, and we are still ungrateful.

And Tony received an oppurtunity few coaches in his situation get because he came with the promise of booster money.

As a longtime fan of UNLV football I understand the importance of the facility.

Appreciative of it..

Also as a fan, I'd like to see more wins...It is year five. He is trending backwards...

It should be going the other way...

Simple question.

Let's say Tony coached at Clark HS and had similar success...Would he have been given this opportunity? Or maybe, just maybe he was afforded an opportunity to coach at the FBS level because there were $$$ attatched?

So we bring him back next year. If he struggles again, then what.

It was always going to take 7 years? He desrves one more year?

Tired of hearing about money. No, UNLV doesn't pay well.

Neither does Hawaii or Reno.

Norvell has seven wins at Reno. He's going to back to back bowl games. Hawaii is going to win the west...They don't pay great either. Both have budget and facility issues. Both are producing better overall results.

Seriously I don't get the, 'Recycling coaches every five years doesn't work' argument. What would be acceptable to you, 6 years, 7 years? Are you seeing things on the field that you think point to better results next year? Have you seen Tony grow as a head coach? Signs that this team is really close, despite similiar results to last year?

What am I missing from a from a football standpoint?

Because at the end of the day, his job is to win football games and he isn't doing it.

I defended Sanchez on these boards after the Howard loss and the Reno loss that cost UNLV a chance at bowl eligibility in year three. I said the growth had been slow but they are getting closer.

Then year four came. It got worse. And then year five came and it might be worse again..

I can't get even remotely excited about the prospect of him being here a sixth year.

Unlike a lot of basketball fans who humped ship, I'm not wired that way. I'll attend. I'll buy extra season tickets to give away. I'll send in my RAF donation. It's my team. Not going to stop supporting.

But him being retained would be like UNLV saying shut up and take it, because we know you will..We really don't care so long as you buy those tickets and keep sending those RAF donations..

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelinWA
I can understand the sentiment to let Tony be the coach and lead the boys out in the new stadium in a perfect world yes, but heavens we still haven't found a qb to start an entire season, defense is atrocious, special teams horrible. I've seen no improvement love the guy but too many bad losses we must be able to leap frog Hawaii, Reno, San Jose St, immediately with quality coaching and competing head to head with SDSU and Fresno State every year, this must happen. There is still a market for College football in the new stadium the price is right just have to have some meaningful games.
Sorry Tony I love the effort but you got to go.
Please no Jim Mora

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
I’ve agreed with most of the firings over the years but this one doesn’t feel right.
Tony thanks for the hard work raising the money to build this beautiful new football facility now get out.
Just doesn’t seem right.

Life isn't fair unfortunately.

He did a lot of nice stuff off the field.

We are looking at win totals of:

3,4,5,4 and either 4 or 3 based on Reno result.

You really think if he loses to Reno he deserves to be back?

If there was anything pointing to growth I would beat that drum along with you.

There isn't.

Offense is down.
Defense stagnant.
W/Ls Stagnant or possibly down for second year in a row.

I don't know if UNLV can make a hire that will get the general public interested or puts some butts in seats. Retaining Sanchez certainly won't.

I can understand the sentiment to let Tony be the coach and lead the boys out in the new stadium in a perfect world yes, but heavens we still haven't found a qb to start an entire season, defense is atrocious, special teams horrible. I've seen no improvement love the guy but too many bad losses we must be able to leap frog Hawaii, Reno, San Jose St, immediately with quality coaching and competing head to head with SDSU and Fresno State every year, this must happen. There is still a market for College football in the new stadium the price is right just have to have some meaningful games.
Sorry Tony I love the effort but you got to go.
Please no Jim Mora

Exactly.

There hasn't been a coach I wanted to see succeed more than Tony. I respect and appreciate his energy and everything he's done off the field.

It just hasn't been good enough on it.

Maybe he turns it around next year if he gets retained. He might...If that happened I would be happy for him and more happy because UNLV was finally winning.

But if he was brought back and they stumbled, then what?

Your best chance to instill some excitement in the program has passed you by. You're right back to where we are now. Another year lost...

I'm not rooting against the guy. I cheered as loud as I always do last game.

I just don't think he can get it done and it's time to move on..

If he's brought back, I will root for him to prove me wrong and be happy if he did. If he's brought back, and struggles, I'm not going to come on these boards and say I TOLD YOU SO! I find no fun or satisfaction in my team losing.

And Tony received an oppurtunity few coaches in his situation get because he came with the promise of booster money.

Appreciative of it..

Also as a fan, I'd like to see more wins...It is year five. He is trending backwards...

Simple question.

Let's say Tony coached at Clark HS and had similar success...Would he have been given this opportunity? Or maybe, just maybe he was afforded an opportunity to coach at the FBS level because there were $$$ attatched?

Tired of hearing about money bullshit

Norvell has seven wins at Reno. He's going to back to back bowl games. Hawaii is going to win the west...They don't pay great either.

Seriously I don't get the, 'Recycling coaches every five years doesn't work' argument. What would be acceptable to you, 6 years, 7 years? Are you seeing things on the field that you think point to better results next year? Have you seen Tony grow as a head coach? Signs that this team is really close, despite similiar results to last year?

Because at the end of the day, his job is to win football games and he isn't doing it.

I defended Sanchez on these boards after the Howard loss and the Reno loss that cost UNLV a chance at bowl eligibility in year three. I said the growth had been slow but they are getting closer.

Then year four came. It got worse. And then year five came and it might be worse again..

I can't get even remotely excited about the prospect of him being here a sixth year.

Unlike a lot of basketball fans who humped ship, I'm not wired that way. I'll attend. I'll buy extra season tickets to give away. I'll send in my RAF donation. It's my team. Not going to stop supporting.

But him being retained would be like UNLV saying shut up and take it, because we know you will..We really don't care so long as you buy those tickets and keep sending those RAF donations..

My premise is different than yours. I don't think any coach can win at UNLV. I think they are set up for failure by the school.

Has Tony done enough on the field to deserve an extension? No. I got into it extensively with @dcut03 over the summer as I argued that Tony traded a bowl game with Stanton so that he could ride Armani to the unemployment line. That Armani gets injured because of how CTS encourages him to get hit, and that Armani would be injured yet again this year. And I think I was/am 3 for 3 on those arguments. I think he has made some boneheaded mistakes. I don't think he is a great coach. He may be a good coach someday.

Again, my premise is that no matter who we hire, we are going to win 2, 2, 3, 4, 3 games and do this all over again. We have been to one bowl game in 20 years and we want to run Tony out cause he is a loser? WE ARE LOSERS! UNLV IS A BUNCH OF LOSERS! HE IS NOT THE REASON WE LOSE. WE ARE!

Instead of the Athletic department trying to go out to find the guy who is going to fix all their troubles (for pennies) and turn us into a winner, or worse, just placate what is left of the fans with the false hope of turning it around, I would like the Administration to look at themselves and ask what they can do to fix our football program. Fix that, then if Tony is still losing, fire him and bring in a good coach.

Anything else is a waste of time and money. Might as well let Tony grow if the UNLV as a whole does not make having a winning football program a priority.

My premise is different than yours. I don't think any coach can win at UNLV. I think they are set up for failure by the school.

Has Tony done enough on the field to deserve an extension? No. I got into it extensively with @dcut03 over the summer as I argued that Tony traded a bowl game with Stanton so that he could ride Armani to the unemployment line. That Armani gets injured because of how CTS encourages him to get hit, and that Armani would be injured yet again this year. And I think I was/am 3 for 3 on those arguments. I think he has made some boneheaded mistakes. I don't think he is a great coach. He may be a good coach someday.

Again, my premise is that no matter who we hire, we are going to win 2, 2, 3, 4, 3 games and do this all over again. We have been to one bowl game in 20 years and we want to run Tony out cause he is a loser? WE ARE LOSERS! UNLV IS A BUNCH OF LOSERS! HE IS NOT THE REASON WE LOSE. WE ARE!

Instead of the Athletic department trying to go out to find the guy who is going to fix all their troubles (for pennies) and turn us into a winner, or worse, just placate what is left of the fans with the false hope of turning it around, I would like the Administration to look at themselves and ask what they can do to fix our football program. Fix that, then if Tony is still losing, fire him and bring in a good coach.

Anything else is a waste of time and money. Might as well let Tony grow if the UNLV as a whole does not make having a winning football program a priority.

Again..

How long do you wait. Why wait. Why waste another year?

How do you know he will grow? Have you seen any evidence of it the last 5 years. If you said after year three you did, I would have agreed. But these last two years we've seen regression.

False hope or not, a coaching change at least creates some interest, some curiosity. Retaining Coach Sanchez does neither.

It's an assumption either way. Neither retaining nor making a change ensures better results.

'He's not the reason we lose, we are'. Who's we? I get the argument that the administration isn't as supportive as it could or should be. I've been saying that on these boards forever.

But..

Desiree doesn't call plays, or run practices or study film or make roster decisions. He does.

If there was any sign he was improving as a coach I would be on board with you. Based on results it's the opposite. He'll finish with one, hopefully two conference wins this year. It's not good enough by any standard in year five.

He assumes no responsibility for the results on the field?

I don't think he's a loser. A loser would indicate there was apathy or lack of effort on his part. I don't see that at all. I think he cares, I think the effort is there. Just didn't work out.

I agree, he hitched his wagon to Rogers when Stanton was possibly the better option at the time. By doing that he put himself in this spot...Not we, or she, or they.....He did...He gets to a bowl that year we aren't discussing this right now...

Last edited:

Appreciative of it..

Simple question.

Tired of hearing about money. No, UNLV doesn't pay well.

Neither does Hawaii or Reno.

Norvell has seven wins at Reno. He's going to back to back bowl games. Hawaii is going to win the west...They don't pay great either. Both have budget and facility issues. Both are producing better overall results.

Yep...keep that mentality because it worked so well the last 30 years.
I’m not a Tony Sanchez fan and don’t know if is the right guy. But what I do know is UNLV has done the same thing for 30 years and it hasn’t worked and that by building that facility Coach Tony has done more for UNLV than the last 7 coaches combined.
i just think he deserves a chance to reap the fruits of his labor

Since hindsight is so fun how about this.

Say Sanchez stuck with Stanton. We make 6 wins (still not guaranteed), went to some shitty bowl, and would probably lose. Just like the heart of Dallas bowl. Would things be much different today?

We still would have had an extremely disappointing year last year, one that would likely be even more disappointing than it was coming off a bowl win. Hell they may have retained Baer. Our defensive recruiting goes down.

The handling of Armani has been the downfall either way. The idea of trying to get Armani reps vs the quick fix of that season still wasn't a terrible call, at least at the time. The development of Armani is where they really failed.

Maybe Armani was going to be what he was going to be regardless, they see him everyday. You'd think that would have figured that out. But he was still just a RS freshman at that point. He actually played decently well at times that season. Maybe they haven't given up.

The frustrating part is that it seems like they weren't trying to develop his weaknesses. You know, throwing the ball. It seems like they were content letting him be another running back as opposed to a more complete player. But again, I wasn't in the QB room, I have no idea what they were trying to do.

Yep...keep that mentality because it worked so well the last 30 years.
I’m not a Tony Sanchez fan and don’t know if is the right guy. But what I do know is UNLV has done the same thing for 30 years and it hasn’t worked and that by building that facility Coach Tony has done more for UNLV than the last 7 coaches combined.
i just think he deserves a chance to reap the fruits of his labor

Off the field yes. He has done more than any other coach.

On the field no. He has three more wins than Sanford.

We are having two different discussions. I agree his contributions off the field will pay dividends down the road.

But the results on it are not good and trending the wrong way.

If there was any significant growth anywhere on the field I would agree. If the team was competitive every week and falling just short. Sure. That's not the case though.

Your argument about doing it over and over and insanity can be applied to Sanchez as well. Other schools have attempted to make the HS to FBS jump. It's failed every time. Why try it again? Wasn't that insane to attempt something they couldn't even make work at Notre Dame?

I'll pose the same question to you that I did the other poster. If Tony had coached at Clark or Liberty HS and not Gorman would he have been offered the job? Or did, his connection to a potential big money booster get his foot in the door?

I agree that if Tony worked anywhere but Gorman we probably have never heard of him. But he did and with him came along some good stuff.
I also agree he hasn’t won a lot of games on the field but who has? Other than John Robinson, Tony Sanchez has the most wins at UNLV since 1982. I’m starting to think Nick Saban couldn’t win here.
My point is the next Sean McVay isn’t out there waiting for his chance to come and turn UNLV into a winner.
Give the guy a chance with the new facilities. At least now it’s more of a level playing field to compete with the Boise’s and San Diego state’s of the world. Plus they’ve got a solid class coming next year.

I agree that if Tony worked anywhere but Gorman we probably have never heard of him. But he did and with him came along some good stuff.
I also agree he hasn’t won a lot of games on the field but who has? Other than John Robinson, Tony Sanchez has the most wins at UNLV since 1982. I’m starting to think Nick Saban couldn’t win here.
My point is the next Sean McVay isn’t out there waiting for his chance to come and turn UNLV into a winner.
Give the guy a chance with the new facilities. At least now it’s more of a level playing field to compete with the Boise’s and San Diego state’s of the world. Plus they’ve got a solid class coming next year.
Apparently DRF didn’t get a chance to read my stuff here.
See ya Tony!!

Lol Sanchez has been terrible, but this thread does show why unlv is terrible in football. When fans want a coach that has produced 5 straight losing seasons to return you know why the program is where it is. As much as fans deserve their say, when it comes to unlv football the empty seats and the people who aren't fans because they have witnessed a horrible product over the last 16 years have more skin in the game. A few fans might be happy with Sanchez returning, but all the fans who no longer care about the program and all those people who you could entice to spend their Saturday watching UNLV football, but don't because the product is so bad outweigh a few people wanting a failed coach to return for what would be his 6th straight losing seaon.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT