ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive/Defensive Schemes?

FLIPrebel

Starter
Jan 21, 2015
Does anyone on the board have any predictions as to what schemes and personnel Sanchez and staff will run during the upcoming season?

Just going off what Nebraska has turned into the last few years, here is my guess on what Cotton will try do. Based on personnel we have coming in and returning.

On offense I expect to see a lot of pre-snap shifts with TE/H Backs to set up running out of the shotgun/pistol. Dedicating to a running attack that will open up the play-action/ screen game. Key to this will of course being the O LIne and RB's making plays. I think we will see our QB under center a little bit as well. I think after having pretty solid freshman campaigns (to different degrees) Keys and Boyd are a nice 1 & 2 on the outside at WR.

On Defense I think Baer will try and use odd fronts to confuse opponents and unconventional blitzes with LB's or extra Safeties in the box. this until we get this staffs "guys" more through the roster.

Complete speculation at this point but I am sure the spring will start to provide a few answers.

This is purely a guess here, but based on Barney Cotton and his history and the current trends in college football, I think we will be a run first team out of spread formations. This isn't to say we will look like New Mexico and not throw the ball, but I think they will stay a bit more committed to running the ball this season.

Defensively it is hard to say. Based on how they are recruiting so far I think we may be looking at something like a 4-2-5 type set up with 4 down linemen, 2 linebackers and 5 defensive backs. One of those defensive backs will be a 'tweener' type guy that will be sort of a safety/lineback hybrid. I think they are going to try and put as much speed on the field as possible and have guys rally to the ball. (Think TCU style defense)

Again purely a guess.

They have the last few years so I would imagine this staff would do the same. Typically Spring ball runs March-April and the spring game is usually first weekend of April.

No dates have been given for this year yet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT