ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Coordinator search

Rosegreen1

All American
Dec 2, 2023
I’m sure CO (coach Odom) has a big Rolodex of coaches he can call on. He’s been excellent in terms of staffing.

Just spitballing some names.

Mike Sanford Jr (collecting the CU check)

Kenny Guiton (Arkansas)

Matt Wells (offensive analyst at Oklahoma)

Jerry Neuheisel (ucla WR coach)

I would be good with the Mike Sanford hire as OC. What is Kris Cinkovich doing?? … think he would be huge WR coach if not more!

Bryant Vincent who was OC at New Mexico.

Go look at UNM's numbers on offense this season with him vs UNLVs numbers before you laugh.

Also look at what he did while at UAB.

Thoughts @lobbybuu ?

Reactions: Rosegreen1
Will be curious to know if Odom sticks with the Go-Go or would rather find the best coach available. Probably not a ton of people well versed in the Go-Go, though it would bring some consistency if he were to find one who knows it.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I’m sure CO (coach Odom) has a big Rolodex of coaches he can call on. He’s been excellent in terms of staffing.

Just spitballing some names.

Mike Sanford Jr (collecting the CU check)

Kenny Guiton (Arkansas)

Matt Wells (offensive analyst at Oklahoma)

Jerry Neuheisel (ucla WR coach)

Want to see anyone on this board who may also be a Steelers fan have a coronary..

Matt Canada!

Will be curious to know if Odom sticks with the Go-Go or would rather find the best coach available. Probably not a ton of people well versed in the Go-Go, though it would bring some consistency if he were to find one who knows it.
Not likely. It's mixed into traditional RPO with a few offenses but Marion is really the only guy who fully uses it to my knowledge. The consistency will be more in the players staying and progressing rather than moving around alot of pieces and not in the system. Outside getting a pro-style offense most OCs today will probably be able to borrow the film and add a few wrinkles from this year but really keep more traditional spread/RPO style

Last edited:
I would have liked Vincent here. He will do well at ULM and I believe he will get a better job in 3-5 years.

Would have been a really nice get.

I think he could have matched or exceeded what Marion did here.

Put up similiar offensive numbers at UNM with lesser talent across the board against a similiar schedule.

When guys like Marion leave there are often some sour grapes with fans.

This may sound like it but it's really just pointing out some interesting stats and why I think he can be replaced and we shouldn't assume the worst.

After 6 weeks of the season UNLV was top ten in the country in TD drives under 50 yards.
.What does that mean?

Well, means that early in the season when the defense was forcing a lot of TOs UNLV and its offense was gifted a lot of shorter fields.

Not a knock on Marion, He did his job by turning turnovers into points. But fair to point out he was gifted some short fields to work with.

Would prefer he stayed for continuity and because he had a good year. But I do think he can be replaced and UNLV should be OK on that side of the ball provided the portal is kind...

The main reason . Like 75% of it is because they have

Croskey-Merritt​

Do you discount an OC because they have talent to work with?

Not trying to sound combative but does Marion lose points because we had Ricky White?

UNM avg 217 a game through the air UNLV 235. Not a huge difference really.

Grant some of UNM's passing numbers may be inflated by garbage time stat padding because they were behind a lot.

Regardless dude got similiar production in terms of raw numbers with lesser overall talent.

I would also 100% take Merritt it he hit the portal. We lose some backs to graduation for next season. Possibly portal.

Last edited:
Dooley would be an interesting call...Mizzou had an electric offense when he was there and Drew Lock threw for a ton of TDs and they had a very strong running game. Could easily pick up the pieces Marion leaves and also bring in more talent in theory based on his connections. He's also very experienced and well traveled and could be here a few seasons, wonder how his relationship is with Odom? Also I like the idea of having 2 former SEC coaches running things for our program...

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Dooley would be an interesting call...Mizzou had an electric offense when he was there and Drew Lock threw for a ton of TDs and they had a very strong running game. Could easily pick up the pieces Marion leaves and also bring in more talent in theory based on his connections. He's also very experienced and well traveled and could be here a few seasons, wonder how his relationship is with Odom? Also I like the idea of having 2 former SEC coaches running things for our program...

100% on board with that if he was available.

I heard he was looking to fianlly unpack some of those boxes...
*This entire thread was posted when it appeared that he was heading to UTEP. Go to sleep and waking up to an entirely different situation is what college football is all about I guess..
I know. I was following last night. Just thought I’d be an ass. Ever moving/morphing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT