ADVERTISEMENT

Now that our team is set....

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
Who is YOUR preferred starting 5? And sixth man? Would love to hear everyone's opinions. Let's not talk about who we can potentially bring in with our last scholly.

1. Dedan
2. Keylan
3. LuRod
4. Hill
5. Kalib

6th man: Web

LuRod and Keylan would guard switch defensive assignments and LuRod would guard the other teams SG.

Who is YOUR preferred starting 5? And sixth man? Would love to hear everyone's opinions. Let's not talk about who we can potentially bring in with our last scholly.

1. Dedan
2. Keylan
3. LuRod
4. Hill
5. Kalib

LuRod and Keylan would guard switch defensive assignments and LuRod would guard the other teams SG.
Same for me. Webster, JJ, Nowell, and hopefully Cottrell would be my regular guys off the bench. If Cottrell can't go then Whaley for sure. I think JJ knows he needs to play point if he wants a future in basketball so hopefully we see improvement in that area when he plays. We really need Cottrell healthy too. We have a great starting five and nice depth, on paper.

Am I confused? All the news I'm reading about Dedan Thomas is that he is in the class of 2024. So he doesn't get to UNLV until the 2024-2025 season?

In my ideal situation I hope that Nowell makes enough progress to be interchangeable in the starting lineup with LuRod with the other being the 6th man. I’m team Nowell. He won me over throughout the season with his positive trajectory when it is much more common these days to see players with talent to regress or completely disappear when they aren’t getting play time. Webster will be great off the bench too. I’m happy with the depth on paper.

I keep telling myself that even if cottrell isn’t healthy we are damn lucky he’s on the team because he had a big hand in pulling it together.

1. Dedan
2. Keylan
3. LuRod
4. Hill
5. Kalib

Looks like the way I would go as well.

Edit: I was just reading up on Brooklyn Hicks and as a SG he averaged 32 pts a game last season. I mean if Mr. Basketball for the State of Washington can average 32 a game that is legit. 6th man Webster/Hicks.

Last edited:
I would like to see what Cottrell can do. In addition, we have much better passers on this year’s team, so we should see a lot more cutting and player movement.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Same for me. Webster, JJ, Nowell, and hopefully Cottrell would be my regular guys off the bench. If Cottrell can't go then Whaley for sure. I think JJ knows he needs to play point if he wants a future in basketball so hopefully we see improvement in that area when he plays. We really need Cottrell healthy too. We have a great starting five and nice depth, on paper.
I think JJ will be a great Back up for Dedan. Now we got 2 point guards on the team one comes in and one goes out. Now we can Have a point guard in at all times

I think JJ will be a great Back up for Dedan. Now we got 2 point guards on the team one comes in and one goes out. Now we can Have a point guard in at all times
I would say we have 1 1/2 PG's.

JJ III has proven to be a shoot/score first type of guard, not a distributor. We did see some flashes from him towards the end of the season as a drive and dish type of guard, but he's got a lot to improve in order to consider him a true PG.

If Nowell can work into the starting lineup/6th man by conference play I think that’s a great thing. IMO he has the most potential on the roster (besides Dedan). If Nowell takes a huge jump this summer he could tear it up and we’d be even better than expected.

Webster is the perfect 6th man. We all know what Webster is going to bring, he’s consistent. He’s good for a few 3’s a game (40%+ on the season). Also is a good locker room guy.

I think Kalib Boone will be our best player this year and it won’t be close. Dedan is going to take some time to adjust but will still be very good. Kalib was a pretty good player in the B12. Imagine him going against MW Bigs. I can easily see him averaging 15 and 9. Royce hamm averaged 9.3 rebounds in his year here I think Boone can easily do the same.

1. Dedan
2. Keylan
3. LuRod
4. Hill
5. Kalib

Is Nowell a solid stay now? I remember you mentioning he was unsure of what he wanted to do at one point. I sure hope he breaks out this year and starts at the 3. It’s just a confidence thing right?

I tend to look at line ups in terms of defensive match ups so this is my guess. Offensively I think guys will go to their spots regardless of "position" and we run mostly a 4 out 1 in type of game ( even with Cottrell)

1. DT
2. LuRod
3/4 Hill Keylan (I think who they guard will depend on the match up)
5. Kalib

6. Cottrell

I put IC as the 6th, because I think he is the most likely to crack the starting line up if healthy. The combo of Kalib and Cottrell together solves problems defensively is more heft is needed.

I Put LuRod over Nowell because he is a defensive stopper and more offense is not exactly needed in that line up. Also has more experience.

I think JJ is the back up point due to his size, skillset, and quickness. I think we will share the ball more as a team, so having JJ being a distributor isn't AS important. Also his role last season was to score, I think he may play a bit differently if his known role is to be a PG next year. Webster as the other point makes it tough to get him 3's, which is what he does best.

Any added 5 will be for depth and NOT crack the starting lineup. I doubt who we get at this point will validate bumping any of these proven 5th year seniors.

But I see Webster and Nowell also getting significant minutes. Hicks is definitely the wildcard. I can see him do it, but he has a lot of experienced established guys ahead of him.

Last edited:
Is Nowell a solid stay now? I remember you mentioning he was unsure of what he wanted to do at one point. I sure hope he breaks out this year and starts at the 3. It’s just a confidence thing right?
The portal closed so there’s no more entries allowed. With how things are now you never know but I’m pretty sure our roster is set besides the 1 open scholarship.

My question would be will Kevin any more than 8 guys? I think we have the depth to go 10 and that would help the team from getting worn out. But I doubt Kevin goes deeper than 9 maybe 10. So who are the players that never leave the end of the pine? Karl Jones is obviously one of them
Who knows with the last schollie open for that player. But probably 2 other players won't see any playing time. I know there are a few here that will strongly disagree but I think JJIII won't see much of any time. To many people at the 2-3 so he would have to play pg but he doesn't have the skill set or iq to be a pg. Webster would be a better pg than JJ. I haven't seen Hicks or Whaley play so I don't know about them.

Reactions: RRebel
My question would be will Kevin any more than 8 guys? I think we have the depth to go 10 and that would help the team from getting worn out. But I doubt Kevin goes deeper than 9 maybe 10. So who are the players that never leave the end of the pine? Karl Jones is obviously one of them
Who knows with the last schollie open for that player. But probably 2 other players won't see any playing time. I know there are a few here that will strongly disagree but I think JJIII won't see much of any time. To many people at the 2-3 so he would have to play pg but he doesn't have the skill set or iq to be a pg. Webster would be a better pg than JJ. I haven't seen Hicks or Whaley play so I don't know about them.
Depends who the last scholarship is. Regardless I think Jones and Whaley rarely play (maybe Whaley surprises me but I don’t expect anything out of him). I think one of Hicks or JJ3 won’t play a lot, depends who looks better this summer and in non conference. Lastly will Cottrell stay healthy? If so it obviously adds depth to the lineup.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Is Nowell a solid stay now? I remember you mentioning he was unsure of what he wanted to do at one point. I sure hope he breaks out this year and starts at the 3. It’s just a confidence thing right
I haven't heard anything since I last mentioned it but I hope he stays. I just want him to be very confident and aggressive. It annoys me because I've seen him in practice and he's a killer. But practice doesn't always translate. Big Guard was killing everyone in practice too and we see how that ended.

I personally don't think he's aggressive enough to start. Chucks up way too many threes when he can definitely take someone to the rack.

At least we know LuRod will defend his ass off and make the occasional three.

I haven't heard anything since I last mentioned it but I hope he stays. I just want him to be very confident and aggressive. It annoys me because I've seen him in practice and he's a killer. But practice doesn't always translate. Big Guard was killing everyone in practice too and we see how that ended.

I personally don't think he's aggressive enough to start. Chucks up way too many threes when he can definitely take someone to the rack.

Agree to some extent. He appeared to be hurt in his lower leg for much of season. At the end though with his legs under him he showed the potential he had as a player in Bellevue. Williams will straighten him out or already has. I expect him to start vs big guard lineups from BsU, UsU, etc. He can finish above the rim and will be a draft pick before the end of his stay here at UNLV

Honestly I forgot about Whaley, lol.

I see him as an undersized ( or unde- lengthed) 4. Like a Warren Rosegreen. His playing time may be dictated by Cottrell's health and the viability of an added potential 5. I think playing under Hill would be great for him since Hill is probably Whaley's ceiling ( not sure about 3pt %). He also adds heft with a lower center of gravity which could be useful in certain situations.

I’d say he’s staying put, already transferred so he would have to sit a year if he transferred again unless he grad transfers down the road.

Honestly I forgot about Whaley, lol.

I see him as an undersized ( or unde- lengthed) 4. Like a Warren Rosegreen. His playing time may be dictated by Cottrell's health and the viability of an added potential 5. I think playing under Hill would be great for him since Hill is probably Whaley's ceiling ( not sure about 3pt %). He also adds heft with a lower center of gravity which could be useful in certain situations.
Whaley is supposed to be a pretty good 3 point shooter. I hope he is like Warren Rosegreen type player. I like the smaller players that rebound hard and play tough as nails!

is playing time in the NIL contract ??

Unlike many - I happen to love how the college game has changed - NIL $$$ is fantastic - Before you used to have to get them a car - get their AAU coach a job - GEt their MOM a new wardrobe and a condo & guarantee them playing time on top of it. Now with the NIL $$ - its simple- clean and far less BS- ya can't even complain about playing time - STFU - you got 350k to sign - obey or transfer IDGAF !!! next !!

Actually I think kids will stay in college longer because of the NIL $$$. That 2nd year will be used far more often now. The institution made a $$$ investment in you - and you are not so hurried to bolt and make some quick cash - NIL $$$ kind of just makes college basketball a minor league basketball organization that prepares kids for the next level. (for the small % that play pro)

Its a dream come true for me that i pursued for over the last 3 years to Train IMG basketball players. I am on the inside - but its funny now ) iDGAF where they go to school nor would I ever get involved - I am an trainer - i make them run fast and jump high and am an expert on knees - All I care about is if they get better - the decision on where they go to college is up to them and their families.

I did answer some direct questions to a VERY high level recruit last week about UNLV (he isn't interested he just asked because he knew that's where I went to school)

I could drop some bombs of inside info that would intrigue - but now that i'm on the inside I would never because it would compromise my integrity in my position - it is my livelihood - it is not a hobby- its my business

I am No longer a FAN

Last edited:
I tend to look at line ups in terms of defensive match ups so this is my guess. Offensively I think guys will go to their spots regardless of "position" and we run mostly a 4 out 1 in type of game ( even with Cottrell)

1. DT
2. LuRod
3/4 Hill Keylan (I think who they guard will depend on the match up)
5. Kalib

6. Cottrell

I put IC as the 6th, because I think he is the most likely to crack the starting line up if healthy. The combo of Kalib and Cottrell together solves problems defensively is more heft is needed.

I Put LuRod over Nowell because he is a defensive stopper and more offense is not exactly needed in that line up. Also has more experience.

I think JJ is the back up point due to his size, skillset, and quickness. I think we will share the ball more as a team, so having JJ being a distributor isn't AS important. Also his role last season was to score, I think he may play a bit differently if his known role is to be a PG next year. Webster as the other point makes it tough to get him 3's, which is what he does best.

Any added 5 will be for depth and NOT crack the starting lineup. I doubt who we get at this point will validate bumping any of these proven 5th year seniors.

But I see Webster and Nowell also getting significant minutes. Hicks is definitely the wildcard. I can see him do it, but he has a lot of experienced established guys ahead of him.
I. Cottrel is the wildcard for me. Will he be healthy enough to play important key
minutes? If he can that will be a huge bonus. I'm guessing he is the type a player that wants to win and that is why he helped bring in the trifecta. All players want to play, but he proved to me by bringing in good players and not worrying about minutes that he is a team player! I really hope he gets major minutes this year.

Unlike many - I happen to love how the college game has changed - NIL $$$ is fantastic - Before you used to have to get them a car - get their AAU caoch a job - GEt their MOM a new wardrobe & guarantee them playing time. Now with the NIL $$ - its simple- clean and far less BS- ya can't even complain about playing time - STFU - you got 350k to sign - obey or transfer IDGAF !!! next !!
Great way to look at the NIL! Valid point

Shane reaffirmed that he was he staying no matter what and that he's ready to work. That's why the IG account posted Shizzy szn.

I spoke with him this evening and he's locked in. Had a different swagger and attitude to him. Let's get to that!
Who's the 24 lock ? Any hints lol

the only pharaoh I know is from Egypt and the only Compton I know is Compton, CA🤷‍♂️

Whoever Pharoah Compton is, he must be a beast👀
The name is intimidating right off the bat. Even more intimidating than Brock Vice.

Great to hear the positive attitude from Shane. I'm pulling for him to have a breakout year. I hope all the guys that stayed have the same fortitude.

Hello all,

I've made a Twitter for all your Rebel News needs! The @ is RebelWayOrNoWay

Please give it a follow and tell a friend to follow it too. And then tell a friend to tell a friend! Retweet my first tweet so we can get visibility and tell the people I'm from rebel net and got y'all on the news!

Just to make it clear, I'm not competing with any other accounts or people. Just making this to be on a bigger platform and I hope that we can build a huge following so again, please give it a follow and tell a friend to tell a friend.

Thank you!
-Lobbybuu

Shane reaffirmed that he was he staying no matter what and that he's ready to work. That's why the IG account posted Shizzy szn.

I spoke with him this evening and he's locked in. Had a different swagger and attitude to him. Let's get to that!
I think JJ3 is goñna have a good year he showed great improvement from beginning to the end of the season and he will be a great MENTOR off the court for Dedan @lobbybuu

Reactions: AnthemRebel

To me, I think he has the most potential for a break out year. You can just see it… hopefully he bust his ass this off season and unleashes his potential.

So I haven’t followed recruiting very close this off season but seems like things got exciting. I know who Dedan is but all these other names and abbreviations of their names I’m lost. Anyone want to do a small write up who each new guy is?

So I haven’t followed recruiting very close this off season but seems like things got exciting. I know who Dedan is but all these other names and abbreviations of their names I’m lost. Anyone want to do a small write up who each new guy is?
I would suggest that you read the thread/s It's happening & Dedan day....at a minimum. That will answer most of your questions.

Pg Thomas/ webster / JJ3
Sg Keylan/ Webster
Sf Jalen / Nowell
Pf Cottrell / Rodriguez
C Kalib / Diongue

I have not seen Hicks or Whaley play so I don't know what to expect out of them. I don't expect to see Jones on the floor.

Pg Thomas/ webster / JJ3
Sg Keylan/ Webster
Sf Jalen / Nowell
Pf Cottrell / Rodriguez
C Kalib / Diongue

I have not seen Hicks or Whaley play so I don't know what to expect out of them. I don't expect to see Jones on the floor.
Respectfully, LuRod will not be playing the 4 this season nor will he back up Cottrell.

Not saying Cottrell won't start because if he's fully healthy, he will get a lot of run, but in no way is LuRod a 4. He will be playing a lot of 2 and 3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT