ADVERTISEMENT

New QB?

Very underwhelming. 12TDs, 7 INTs and with an awful completion % at Campbell.

Very underwhelming. 12TDs, 7 INTs and with an awful completion % at Campbell.
If this is the level of recruiting we can expect, UNLV football will disappear into oblivion. If you cannot get decent guys to at least visit here at key positions from the portal, something is wrong. Don’t know if the staff dysfunction is having an effect but there are plenty of other options in the portal and this guy is a backup at best! If this is the best Odom and Marion can do, I don’t expect much else to improve either.
Maybe recruits see through the 9-4 season and don’t believe in Odom, Marion or the DC!

Reactions: s89103
If this is the level of recruiting we can expect, UNLV football will disappear into oblivion. If you cannot get decent guys to at least visit here at key positions from the portal, something is wrong. Don’t know if the staff dysfunction is having an effect but there are plenty of other options in the portal and this guy is a backup at best! If this is the best Odom and Marion can do, I don’t expect much else to improve either.
Maybe recruits see through the 9-4 season and don’t believe in Odom, Marion or the DC!
I am not extremely excited about the pickup and I agree with your entire comment. Im holding out a little hope because if Marion ****s this up, he will not get the job that he wants next offseason. Thats the only thing i am trying to cling onto. So we have to assume he knows what he is doing.

The man is damn near a PhD student so I'm going to assume/wish/hope that his decision making is much better than Maiava. He did not look bad against UNC this past season.

It's ridiculous bro. Those could have been 2022 stats but perhaps Campbell doesn't update their website. And people here just love to argue. OK so 19TDs and 8 INTs at fckn Campbell. What an upgrade lmao.

It's ridiculous bro. Those could have been 2022 stats but perhaps Campbell doesn't update their website. And people here just love to argue. OK so 19TDs and 8 INTs at fckn Campbell. What an upgrade lmao.
Yeah if you play in that horrible conference you better light it up. You would expect a step down from those stats in the MWC.

I am not extremely excited about the pickup and I agree with your entire comment. Im holding out a little hope because if Marion ****s this up, he will not get the job that he wants next offseason. Thats the only thing i am trying to cling onto. So we have to assume he knows what he is doing.

The man is damn near a PhD student so I'm going to assume/wish/hope that his decision making is much better than Maiava. He did not look bad against UNC this past season.
That is a reasonable assumption. Though Odom has to be thinking wait you let Maiva go for this guy? Maybe that is why Marion is chasing that UF job because he knows he F’d up by letting Maiava leave for this guy.

That is a reasonable assumption. Though Odom has to be thinking wait you let Maiva go for this guy? Maybe that is why Marion is chasing that UF job because he knows he F’d up by letting Maiava leave for this guy.
I wish I could explain the whole story on Maiava leaving, but thats not on me to disclose. Someone on this board is very close to Maiava and we have talked, so if they want to explain what went down, they can. If not, then oh well. People will just have to speculate.

But I agree with your point; its very possible that Odom might be scratching his head right now. Or who knows, maybe he likes the move. Some stuff we will never know.

If this was the best Marion could do knowing his QB was leaving since MWC game, then maybe its better he goes to Florida... driving off Maiava for someone that underwhelmed vs worse competition doesn't give me any confidence that we will be better next year

I’m not a huge fan of the Maiava was untouchable here and should be coddled and not have any threat to his mental well being but even if there were issues where are the QB’s like Pavia and to a lesser extent JDL in all our recruiting efforts? To be honest I could care less if Maiava was to weak to get coached up by Marion or if Marion didn’t pick him so he felt uncomfortable. Maiava left a lot to be desired mentally and I would have liked to have seen him earn it by competing against a JDL or Pavia to see if he really had what it takes. Maiava can be replaced but the new kid from Campbell was not who I was thinking about!

If this was the best Marion could do knowing his QB was leaving since MWC game, then maybe its better he goes to Florida... driving off Maiava for someone that underwhelmed vs worse competition doesn't give me any confidence that we will be better next year
The first sentence is very true. Should have been way more prepared and contacting QBs asap. That should have been done regardless imo. In this day and age, if you arent first, youre last.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I wish I could explain the whole story on Maiava leaving, but thats not on me to disclose. Someone on this board is very close to Maiava and we have talked, so if they want to explain what went down, they can. If not, then oh well. People will just have to speculate.

But I agree with your point; its very possible that Odom might be scratching his head right now. Or who knows, maybe he likes the move. Some stuff we will never know.
Not saying you're not getting quality information but if the person is close to Maiava, then aren't you just getting his side of the story? I'm sure they want to save as much face as possible with the way he left. He lied to the media, fans, teammates, etc. You don't think they will build anything up to make that justifiable? I think Maiava's and anyone in his camp words should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Fact is he would be the starter next year here. No? So, would really love to hear their side that somehow justifies his actions.

Not saying you're not getting quality information but if the person is close to Maiava, then aren't you just getting his side of the story? I'm sure they want to save as much face as possible with the way he left. He lied to the media, fans, teammates, etc. You don't think they will build anything up to make that justifiable? I think Maiava's and anyone in his camp words should be taken with a huge grain of salt.

Fact is he would be the starter next year here. No? So, would really love to hear their side that somehow justifies his actions.
You make a very good point; so let me rephrase it.

What I was told by someone that knows him/his camp doesn't save face for him and doesnt make it justifiable. It actually makes him look like a sucker.

What I was trying to say was that Marion was not the only factor. Other factors were in play that made Maiava look elsewhere.

You make a very good point; so let me rephrase it.

What I was told by someone that knows him/his camp doesn't save face for him and doesnt make it justifiable. It actually makes him look like a sucker.

What I was trying to say was that Marion was not the only factor. Other factors were in play that made Maiava look elsewhere.
Got it! Thanks! Seems the only thing that would actually make sense is the truth. He wanted to see what opportunities were out there for him ( and rightfully so it seems if USC is after him) but wasn't man enough to tell people that to their face.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Got it! Thanks! Seems the only thing that would actually make sense is the truth. He wanted to see what opportunities were out there for him ( and rightfully so it seems if USC is after him) but wasn't man enough to tell people that to their face.
No problem! Thanks for allowing me to clear it up. Sometimes its hard to type things out when I'm trying to not give too much or too little.

I believe the thinking among the staff isn’t to replicate what they did last season. The final 3-4 games were not good on any side of the ball. It might be that the tape is out on Marion’s playcalling and maybe it was limited because of the QB or injuries etc.

So you have to innovate, engineer yards in another way. Hence the dual threat QB offers and making the offense function in a different way. More speed and more options for where the ball goes. We may have landed our own Jeanty, it is a deep RB room. A lot of experience coming back, there’s last years class that have a year under their belt and ready to compete. Everyone is going to hit the weights, and this staff is going to make sure guys are putting in the work.

It’s a long offseason, folks. Probably more shuffling to be had w/roster and it’s going to be different next season.

Is Pavia or JDL a closed door or is there still a chance we talk to them or somebody of that ilk?

No problem! Thanks for allowing me to clear it up. Sometimes its hard to type things out when I'm trying to not give too much or too little.

Big Dave happened. The kid wanted to stay and Big Dave got to the family and they made him transfer. The family wants to get paid and so does Dave. The kid isn't making his own decisions.

Big Dave happened. The kid wanted to stay and Big Dave got to the family and they made him transfer. The family wants to get paid and so does Dave. The kid isn't making his own decisions.
Explain to the board who Big Dave is. A lot of people do not know who is he or understand how big of an impact he has on players/families.

Explain to the board who Big Dave is. A lot of people do not know who is he or understand how big of an impact he has on players/families.
Is this the dad of a guy we all know of?

*I don't actually know anything about who this is, just based on a twitter account I've seen*

Big Dave is Dave Uiagalelai, DJ's dad. He's also with nilx.com, a management company that works to get athletes NIL deals. He's big in Hawaii and with the Polynesians. "Uncle" Dave provides guidance and has connections all over college football. Of course, he also negotiates deals for these kids. And takes a piece for himself too.

Big Dave is Dave Uiagalelai, DJ's dad. He's also with nilx.com, a management company that works to get athletes NIL deals. He's big in Hawaii and with the Polynesians. "Uncle" Dave provides guidance and has connections all over college football. Of course, he also negotiates deals for these kids. And takes a piece for himself too.
P.O.S.

Lavar Ball the sequel

But unlike other agents he actually has his clients best interests at heart...

And he only takes the smallest of pieces for himself..Literally crumbs..

That actually hurt to type.

That is absolutely painful to read. They are pulling a kid who have a high ceiling but got a lot of learning to do from an environment at UNLV that willing to nurture him and see him grow to a rent for hire place that know nothing about him. Jayden was crying in each and every game for the last three games straight and now they are pawning him off to the highest bidder against his wills? I say, UNLV should stay away from any Polynesian players that have any relation with Big Dave.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT