ADVERTISEMENT

MWConnection Misc. - Football preview on UNLV

Meister_Rebel

UNLV Hall of Fame
Jan 6, 2020
This guy likes what he sees in our defense. I think we all do.

I'm still in wait-and-see mode about our defense. I like the additions, I just don't know about the DC.

I am very optimistic about our OC and Special Teams Coach.

I'm still in wait-and-see mode about our defense. I like the additions, I just don't know about the DC.

Agreed!

For me it’s let’s see some pressure from the D-line and DE spots because that is where we have been so weak in the past. It won’t matter if the secondary guys a have more stars, if there is no pressure on the QB from the front four guys. If we can’t get sacks without blitzing we will get picked apart on the backend.

Let’s get to the QB!

Barry being the HC with the defensive background gives me a lot of faith that the DC and defensive recruits will be better. I can't remember the last time I had some faith in our defense. I'm just going with the positive waves. I'm still wait and see what our QB's bring to the table for offense.

Barry being the HC with the defensive background gives me a lot of faith that the DC and defensive recruits will be better. I can't remember the last time I had some faith in our defense. I'm just going with the positive waves. I'm still wait and see what our QB's bring to the table for offense.

You ca 't remember because there was never a reason to have any faith.

Maybe Robinson era a little..

Skipper gave me hope for a couple of games. Then talent started beating our schemes.

I saw incremental improvement and adjustments to scheme from Scherer last year; then talent started beating our schemes.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I think after the cleared the first hump of above 500, a bowl game, bowl win …. Expectations were pretty good.
Most people forget that Robinson only had one good year, and then when his wife got sick, he put coaching as a distant second, and the team went back downhill! what is sad is with a 28-42 record he has the second most wins as a coach at UNLV. He was 8-5 in his second year, and 6-6 in his 5th year, with a losing record the other 4 seasons. In fact his last season going 2-9 was his worst season but was good considering Jeff Horton was 0-11 the year he took over.

Maybe that one good year and then going back downhill is why many people are still nervous going into next season?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
He did. More painful than getting surprised by the gogo (expected), there were no adjustments (not expected).
Scherer is 33 years old DC coaching under one of the best defensive coach in the country. He'll be great

Reactions: RebelinWA
Skipper gave me hope for a couple of games. Then talent started beating our schemes.

I saw incremental improvement and adjustments to scheme from Scherer last year; then talent started beating our schemes.
So we went out and got more talent...
I think that most reports will focus on our offense and who is QB replacing Maiava but that with an NFL guy in White they should be good type write ups and completely ignore how much better talent wise the defense got. They use the typical predictability of Losses vs good teams and wins verse average to bad teams and will ignore how much better the defense will be. If we can improve on the possession type defense where we arent getting beat by fast easy deep scores, and keep our turnover rate like last season with the offense potential we have, Were going to surprise alot of people....

Bull, did you read the source article?

It called out our PK as a key player for the season, and listed our P as 2 of our best 10 players!

UNLV Key Player​

PK Caden Chittenden
The Rebel kicker really will be the difference between a good year and a potentially great one.

It’s either the freshman, or someone else has to come to replace Jose Pizano, who hit 26-of-29 field goals including four in a three-point win over Vanderbilt. He also cranked out a 6-for-6 day to beat Colorado State 25-23.

UNLV 10 Best Players​

1. Ricky White, WR Sr.
2. Jackson Woodard, Sr, Lr.
3. Marsel McDuffie, LB Jr.
4. Matthew Sluka, QB Sr.
5. Tony Grimes, CB Sr.
6. Jalen Catalon, S Sr.
7. Marshall Nichols, P Jr.
8. Tiger Shanks, OT Sr.
9. Jalen Dixon, DE Sr.
10. Marshall Nichols, P Jr.

It called out our PK as a key player for the season, and listed our P as 2 of our best 10 players!

UNLV Key Player​

PK Caden Chittenden
The Rebel kicker really will be the difference between a good year and a potentially great one.

It’s either the freshman, or someone else has to come to replace Jose Pizano, who hit 26-of-29 field goals including four in a three-point win over Vanderbilt. He also cranked out a 6-for-6 day to beat Colorado State 25-23.

UNLV 10 Best Players​

1. Ricky White, WR Sr.
4. Matthew Sluka, QB Sr.
5. Tony Grimes, CB Sr.
6. Jalen Catalon, S Sr.
8. Tiger Shanks, OT Sr.
9. Jalen Dixon, DE Sr.

I know Bull hates kickers and I understand why, but they impact games more than the vast majority of the players on a roster. I value special teams a lot.

So we went out and got more talent...
I think that most reports will focus on our offense and who is QB replacing Maiava but that with an NFL guy in White they should be good type write ups and completely ignore how much better talent wise the defense got. They use the typical predictability of Losses vs good teams and wins verse average to bad teams and will ignore how much better the defense will be. If we can improve on the possession type defense where we arent getting beat by fast easy deep scores, and keep our turnover rate like last season with the offense potential we have, Were going to surprise alot of people....
By far this should be the most talented team UNLV has assembled in recent memory, especially around the defense. Hoping it all translates together. More than that, I m hoping some of these kids make it to the combine and get drafted.

UNLV Key Player​

PK Caden Chittenden

UNLV 10 Best Players​

1. Ricky White, WR Sr.
4. Matthew Sluka, QB Sr.
5. Tony Grimes, CB Sr.
6. Jalen Catalon, S Sr.
8. Tiger Shanks, OT Sr.
9. Jalen Dixon, DE Sr.

Who wrote that article? Karl Marx?