ADVERTISEMENT

MWC exist fee jumps from 17 Million to 51 Million on July 1st.

220reb

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
This is news to me. The current fee to leave the conference is 17 Million and goes to 51 Million in July. I guess this was something Craig Thompson did before he left office.

Per Ross Dellenger at SI.

One thing is certain: The Pac-12 plans to expand by adding San Diego State and maybe SMU coinciding with its completion of a new TV deal. But there is a deadline. To start play in 2024, San Diego State owes the Mountain West an exit fee of about $17 million. That triples in cost July 1, a reason for a quasi-deadline to the situation.

De facto deadline for that, then. I'd assume we hear sometime between now and then and they try to squeeze sdsu in for 2024. If not, I would guess it's because the TV situation isn't close enough to getting resolved. If that's the case, they probably hold off a year and have SDSU join in 2025. No reason to pay that much to get a team you'll get the following season.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The article says the Big 12 is looking at Arizona, ASU, Utah and Colorado. After them it’s SDSU, UNLV, Memphis and UConn.

If the 4 stay in the pac 12 and the pac 12 also adds SDSU and SMU. I think UNLV could definitely squeeze in the Big 12. They could add us and Memphis (or UConn if they want to go that far northeast).

yeesh, this will definitely make leaving more difficult. I we are lucky to be picked we may have to negotiate paying off that fee, because we become significantly a less desirable school if the new conference is expected to pony up for that.

Also Big 12 does not need us. Especially if they poach any part of the existing pac 12.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
yeesh, this will definitely make leaving more difficult. I we are lucky to be picked we may have to negotiate paying off that fee, because we become significantly a less desirable school if the new conference is expected to pony up for that.

Also Big 12 does not need us. Especially if they poach any part of the existing pac 12.
This word right here, leaves the possibility open and I for one hope we go to the Big 12!

Pac is under a lot of pressure. I can't see SMU as a viable travel alternative for cash starved athletic departments for non revenue sports. This throws a monkey wrench into expansion into Dallas. It will be UNLV because of the 51million dollar payout and SDSU also. TV networks know the deadline and are pressing Pac12 hard for concessions.

Pac is under a lot of pressure. I can't see SMU as a viable travel alternative for cash starved athletic departments for non revenue sports. This throws a monkey wrench into expansion into Dallas. It will be UNLV because of the 51million dollar payout and SDSU also. TV networks know the deadline and are pressing Pac12 hard for concessions.
With USC and UCLA gone, tv payout for NCAA Big Dance will plummet. College Presidents know how to count dollars and they will go for basketball schools to keep the dance going for Arizona or lose them to Big 12. Money is given out based on bids and success in the Dance.

It's pretty crazy that the MWC is going to have a 51 million dollar buyout when the schools don't make anywhere near that much from the conference. I get it that they're trying to keep members from jumping, but that's a big dollar amount. For example, I believe when Texas and Oklahoma decided to leave the Big 12, they reached an agreement to pay a combined $100 million dollars, or $50 million each. That's the same amount as leaving the MWC, but the difference is how much they bring in from the Big 12. From what I've found, the Big 12 paid out $426 million to the 10 current schools in 2022, or about 42 million per school. So the cost of leaving was equal to a little over a year's revenue. Even if it is 2-3 years, that would make sense. But if MWC schools gets around $4 million per year, once it goes to 51 million, that's 12-13 years of revenue! Crazy!

It's pretty crazy that the MWC is going to have a 51 million dollar buyout when the schools don't make anywhere near that much from the conference.
My reading of it is that it's $51m for a team to leave after July 1 of "year x" if they intend to enter a new conference in year "x+1". Not that crazy, given it's basically saying "we are out after this season"

Reactions: lvhiker
If anyone is leaving they'll need to announce the move in June before the price jumps to 51 million.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT