ADVERTISEMENT

MWC 2 year Agreement with the Pac-12

The two year deal is telling. The MWC deal ends in two years. This is a two year audition to see who they’ll take into the PacII. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make similar deals for a home and home with some other mid west schools.
I posted just after you about the two year deal. Hopefully, OSU/WSU schedules the likes of Memphis and others who they'd like to team with moving forward, starting that alliance.

The two year deal is telling. The MWC deal ends in two years. This is a two year audition to see who they’ll take into the PacII. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make similar deals for a home and home with some other mid west schools.
Good time for UNLV football to be on the rise while UNR is biting sack.

From some of the articles I have seen, it certainly looks like that they are leaning towards a rebuild of a new PAC over a simple merger with the MW. By waiting they can avoid the fees, and they can also trim some of the fat.

It is a good time to start being good at football! We don't want to be a part of the MW leftovers.

From some of the articles I have seen, it certainly looks like that they are leaning towards a rebuild of a new PAC over a simple merger with the MW. By waiting they can avoid the fees, and they can also trim some of the fat.

It is a good time to start being good at football! We don't want to be a part of the MW leftovers.
Yep, exactly how I see it. I saw an article on X (twitter) that was showing the markets for the possible expansion teams with the Pac2, but they based it on all time history of the program. That is kind of a ridiculous stat because the ages of the schools are vastly different.

Anyways, UNLV is on the upswing for football, so hopefully basketball is the same, and we position ourselves well for this next round.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
No way UNLV would be left out of a new PAC. I suspect OSU & WSU will be competing for who gets a game at UNLV over the next two years. Vegas has just too much to offer opposing teams and their fans.
What’s driving the final number of teams in a new PAC? Combining OSU & WSU with the MWC totals 14 teams. Not an unmanageable number. What’s the advantage of 12 or 10 or 8 teams? Room to add other, better programs? At a minimum a new PAC should include:
UNLV
SDSU
CSU
AF
BOISE
FSU
If the goal is 10, add SJSU & Hawaii.
If 12, pickings get slim among UNM, UNR, USU & Wyo. If looking for state diversity, perhaps take USU & Wyo. UNM may be better when considering basketball. UNR could be the odd man out. I can only dream!!

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
No way UNLV would be left out of a new PAC. I suspect OSU & WSU will be competing for who gets a game at UNLV over the next two years. Vegas has just too much to offer opposing teams and their fans.
What’s driving the final number of teams in a new PAC? Combining OSU & WSU with the MWC totals 14 teams. Not an unmanageable number. What’s the advantage of 12 or 10 or 8 teams? Room to add other, better programs? At a minimum a new PAC should include:
UNLV
SDSU
CSU
AF
BOISE
FSU
If 12, pickings get slim among UNM, UNR, USU & Wyo. If looking for state diversity, perhaps take USU & Wyo. UNM may be better when considering basketball. UNR could be the odd man out. I can only dream!!
They need 8 total, not sure if they would want to go beyond that. I've seen that as the target number for them

I think it is simple economics which team/markets would help the TV contract bottom line the most.

They need 8 total, not sure if they would want to go beyond that. I've seen that as the target number for them

I think it is simple economics which team/markets would help the TV contract bottom line the most.

Ten makes it interesting.

Locks (I think)

UNLV
BOISE
FRESNO
SDSU
CSU

After that it gets murky.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
UNLV
SDSU
CSU
AF
BOISE
FSU

I think Hawaii might be in trouble. Travel costs alone don't help. Especially for Olympic sports. It would have to be football only and I'm not sure if they go that route or not.

Ten makes it interesting.

Locks (I think)

UNLV
BOISE
FRESNO
SDSU
CSU

After that it gets murky.
Boise is an interesting case. Football has been it's biggest asset, but they have fallen. Still have some brand recognition for sure. But generally its a bad market, so it's recent basketball success doesn't move the needle as much as some other schools.

Also what happens if the ACC gets poached this year? Do the NoCal schools try to come crawling back? Does SMU want to tag along? By adding a central school does a Memphis or Tulane want to tag along as a regional partner.

Is SJSU worth the market without the NoCal schools?

I pretty much agree with your locks. Boise brings up at least a question mark

Hell even SDSU might make you think twice considering how they have fallen with football, but more importantly how poorly they have drawn in their new stadium, that was even before we all knew they sucked this year. Obviously their B-ball program is a big asset, as well as their market.

• Love
It sounds like a good deal on the surface, but what happens if there’s another round of realignment and both WSU and OSU move in to a P4 conference?

UNLV’s goal should be to be the first such school poached from the PAC to a P4.
…although, if a couple of the original PAC schools come crawling back and a few strong regional schools are added, the new PAC could be a contender to the new P5.

• Love
Boise is an interesting case. Football has been it's biggest asset, but they have fallen. Still have some brand recognition for sure. But generally its a bad market, so it's recent basketball success doesn't move the needle as much as some other schools.

Also what happens if the ACC gets poached this year? Do the NoCal schools try to come crawling back? Does SMU want to tag along? By adding a central school does a Memphis or Tulane want to tag along as a regional partner.

Hell even SDSU might make you think twice considering how they have fallen with football, but more importantly how poorly they have drawn in their new stadium, that was even before we all knew they sucked this year. Obviously their B-ball program is a big asset, as well as their market.

Boise is like 1-4 in one score games. They won 10 games last year. They aren't what they were but still relevant. SDSU you absolutely have to stay in as much of the California market as you can.

I mean I'm as happy as anybody about this season in football but does one good year erase 30 years of mediocrity? And vise versa. One or two bad years wipe out the last decade for Boise and SDSU?

I think UNM, Hawaii should be very concerned.

Boise is like 1-4 in one score games. They won 10 games last year. They aren't what they were but still relevant. SDSU you absolutely have to stay in as much of the California market as you can.

I mean I'm as happy as anybody about this season in football but does one good year erase 30 years of mediocrity? And vise versa. One or two bad years wipe out the last decade for Boise and SDSU?

The thing with us vs Boise is that if they fall of then they become a liability.
Even if we revert back to the bottom we still have the market to fall back on, if Boise loses its football draw then you have a mediocre football team in a bad market with bad academics.
And they have been sliding for the past couple of years, hence the mid season firing.
They have a lower degree of error. They almost have to be a top 25 level team for them to be worth it.
San Diego is a different story. Good market even if the fans don't care much.

Last edited:
This would be the smartest move!
Add the mentioned MWC schools and then get some Texas schools, Tulane, La Tech or WKU!

I hope the new Pac only allows green playing fields. That blue field is a joke. If Boise doesn't like that deal then they should be happy in the Big Sky Conf.

As for SDSU they should be put on warning in the new Pac that there would be severe penalties if they continue with the Title 9 violations. Here is a recent article on the subject: SDSU violating title 9
This isn't the first time either. It gives their men's teams an unfair advantage over other MWC schools that follow Title 9 because they are using financial aid that should have gone to women and using it for their men's sports. Honestly I don't know why the MWC hasn't said or done anything about this.

I feel like the PAC is going to try and position themselves to be that best of the rest in the group of 5. I feel like they try and negotiate to trim some fat and add teams like Tulane, Memphis, UTSA. Maybe looking something like this after all the moving is done.

IN
Oregon St
Wash St
UNLV
Air Force
Fresno
Boise
San Diego St
Colo St
Reno ?
Utah St ?
Wyoming ?
San Jose St ?

OUT
Hawaii
New Mexico

Add
Tulane
UTSA
Memphis
Rice ?
North Texas ?

If ACC falls apart ADD
best fit that remains (4 teams)

Initially you add everyone on the add list but NT, that's 16. Make divisions again and scoot the Colo schools (CSU/AF) & USU w/all the schools you just added to a eastern/whatever you want to call it division (this is to help w/travel costs & Jet lag). Everyone plays their division opponents and 1 rotated game every yr against the other division. If ACC falls add 4 schools that fit best for us (who knows who will be avail then). Play 5 div. games on rotation and 3 against the other div. on rotation. Maybe add something for rivalries where those will be annually. I kind of hate all of this but I feel like this is where college football is headed w/ the 3/4 power conferences and mabe 2/3 best of the rest conferences all consolidating to 20 teams.

I feel like the PAC is going to try and position themselves to be that best of the rest in the group of 5. I feel like they try and negotiate to trim some fat and add teams like Tulane, Memphis, UTSA. Maybe looking something like this after all the moving is done.

IN
Oregon St
Wash St
UNLV
Air Force
Fresno
Boise
San Diego St
Colo St
Reno ?
Utah St ?
Wyoming ?
San Jose St ?

OUT
Hawaii
New Mexico

Add
Tulane
UTSA
Memphis
Rice ?
North Texas ?

If ACC falls apart ADD

Initially you add everyone on the add list but NT, that's 16. Make divisions again and scoot the Colo schools (CSU/AF) & USU w/all the schools you just added to a eastern/whatever you want to call it division (this is to help w/travel costs & Jet lag). Everyone plays their division opponents and 1 rotated game every yr against the other division. If ACC falls add 4 schools that fit best for us (who knows who will be avail then). Play 5 div. games on rotation and 3 against the other div. on rotation. Maybe add something for rivalries where those will be annually. I kind of hate all of this but I feel like this is where college football is headed w/ the 3/4 power conferences and mabe 2/3 best of the rest conferences all consolidating to 20 teams.

Good post..

Couple thoughts on a few teams.

Air Force..Do they go AAC and join Army and Navy? It opens up 2 OOC games.

CSU..Definitely in need to stay in Colorado market.

San Jose State..Could be in trouble. Fresno and SDSU keep you in California. Market size makes them appealing.

Utah State..I think safe. Might want to stay in Utah market.

Reno..Honestly 50/50

Wyoming..Another tough call. Really small market..

New Mexico..Out..Unless New Pac looks to expand and maybe if they add NMSU. Otherwise probably out

UTSA, Rice, North Texas get you a piece of Texas market. Albeit a small portion.

Reactions: RebelinWA
We are stuck in with Fresneck and SDSU. A big fck no to Boise, SJSU and Nevada-Reno. Would rather fill that in with UNM and 2 TX schools. I don't know why, but I have a soft spot for UNM, their programs should and could be a lot better than they have been recently. Air Fart can go pull all their illegal chop blocks somewhere else.

Reactions: Meister_Rebel

The ACC potentially getting poached is a huge deal. I've thought the same about Cal/Stanford/SMU. I guess the question would be what happens to the media deal for the ACC, and do they retain power conference status if most of the best teams leave. At best, the media deal would suffer significantly, which would probably make it not financially sound for them to stay in the ACC.

It sounds like a good deal on the surface, but what happens if there’s another round of realignment and both WSU and OSU move in to a P4 conference?
That's definitely a possibility. Probably part of the reason whey they want to keep the Pac 2 together for a couple years. It buys some time. The problem is that in the mean time, they're likely going to be losing recruits and having players transfer to other schools while they sit in this 2 man conference. Which will make them less attractive targets.

Personally, I think UNM is in a much better position than Hawaii. Even though they suck at football, they're a much easier conference partner than Hawaii is.

IN
Oregon St
Wash St
UNLV
Air Force
Fresno
Boise
San Diego St
Colo St
Reno ?
Utah St ?
Wyoming ?
San Jose St ?

OUT
Hawaii
New Mexico

Add
Tulane
UTSA
Memphis
Rice ?
North Texas ?

If ACC falls apart ADD

Having a super conference is great when you are full of big schools and big markets, it sucks when you don't.
Every school is another mouth to feed. They better add to the bottom line. There's several teams on this list that will lower the bottom line rather than raise it. And that is before the logistics of all the teams being spread apart.
I think they will be working with TV partners to find the best collection of schools that will maximize the TV contract.
Wyoming? They own the whole state so that is something, but Vegas has more people in the city than their entire state. AFA? Hard to say. Probably not geat locally, but a b8tbof a national following. North Texas? Probably don't need them but yes to UTSA. Rice is a big market with terrible local penetration. Probably a pass.
Memphis and Tulane are good, but it needs tp make logistical sense. Get 3 or 4 teams together them yes, just one? Probably not.

Last edited:
Personally, I think UNM is in a much better position than Hawaii. Even though they suck at football, they're a much easier conference partner than Hawaii is.
I gotta keep them mostly because of basketball. When NM football was decent, a long time ago, their fans would travel. If they can get that back on track and get that fan support back they would be worth keeping. A tough call otherwise.

UNM over UNR

BSU and SDSU recognize that they need to get their football programs back on the rise, hence the pending coaching changes. They can say Winnie is retiring, but he was forced out. BSU will always have great community and fan support, which you can't say for SDSU. And, at the end of the day, what good is a large market if they treat you as if you're invisible? "Hey, looky there. 3 of 3.1 million people not watching."

Please remember that both WSU and Oregon State have serious money issues. They are not really interested in traveling 2 time zones to play games at Tulane, Memphis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT