ADVERTISEMENT

Musical chairs has started again in college football

Markets don’t matter anymore. The days of cable/tv packages dictating a markets purchasing power are dead. If you don’t have brand and can command streaming views then you are essentially worthless.

since the stadium is officially owned by the state it would be wise for this issue to be looked into. The state of Nevada is not necessarily loyal to unlv without unr somehow is also involved so that’s that.

I don't think the State/City turns down the potential revenue of Pac12 Football/basketball conference title games vs trying to strong arm UNLV into the Pac12. I could be totally wrong.

Reactions: LocoRebel
I don't think the State/City turns down the potential revenue of Pac12 Football/basketball conference title games vs trying to strong arm UNLV into the Pac12. I could be totally wrong.
I agree. Unlv 15 year’s ago maybe.

The big change is that UNLV has a much larger potential for top level recruits to profit off their image compared to almost any other area in the country!

I actually believe that these new rules that allow college student athletes to become millionaires while the students who actually pay to go to school and tax payers are forced to subsidize their education could ultimately be the beginning of the end for college sports.

Reactions: Sonny44 and unlv91
I actually believe that these new rules that allow college student athletes to become millionaires while the students who actually pay to go to school and tax payers are forced to subsidize their education could ultimately be the beginning of the end for college sports.

The fun will begin when men's football/basketball players are making cash and players in swimming, golf, tennis, Olympic sports etc say how unfair the system is...

Outside of a few exceptions, men will make more money. And there will also be complaints about gender inequality.

I for one am here for all the potential chaos this could create.

Looks like Texas and Oklahoma made their intentions official today and sent the Big12 their notices. Just waiting for the next shoe to drop now. Eventually this should make its way down to the MWC.

Reactions: 220reb
This is why I don’t think the PAC or BIG Ten will be in a rush to add a bunch of the leftovers. I expect the Big12 to send out some invites soon so that their conference survives.

The Big 12 lost 50% to 75% of its value, several industry sources tell CBS Sports. Their TV contracts with ESPN and Fox contain language that allows the Big 12 to reduce payouts if there is a loss of membership.

That means the Big 12 deal could drop from $37 million in annual revenue to as low as $9 million per school. Considering there aren't two schools available that come close to replacing the value of Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 is in troubled waters to say the least.

Reactions: 220reb and dcut03
This is why I don’t think the PAC or BIG Ten will be in a rush to add a bunch of the leftovers. I expect the Big12 to send out some invites soon so that their conference survives.

The Big 12 lost 50% to 75% of its value, several industry sources tell CBS Sports. Their TV contracts with ESPN and Fox contain language that allows the Big 12 to reduce payouts if there is a loss of membership.

That means the Big 12 deal could drop from $37 million in annual revenue to as low as $9 million per school. Considering there aren't two schools available that come close to replacing the value of Texas and Oklahoma, the Big 12 is in troubled waters to say the least.

To survive they need to move quick.

I don't know academic requirements etc. in Big12 so some of these teams may not qualify.

Expand East.
Cincy, Memphis, UCF,

In state poach Houston (Possibly SMU)

Expand West

BYU, Boise, CSU?

UNLV brings a big TV market. SDSU? Get into California?

Would this be enough to

I still think UNLV and UNR is highly likely to be a package deal. IMO

I don't know academic requirements etc. in Big12 so some of these teams may not qualify.

Expand East.
Cincy, Memphis, UCF,

Expand West

BYU, Boise, CSU?

Would this be enough to
I don’t think the Big 12 is in a position to be academic snobs right now. They’ll want to keep their payouts as high as possible. BYU should be in if they can work out their issues. I hope they go full on out west but it seems like the AAC (Cincy, UCF, Houston, Memphis) option is probably more valuable than MWC (Boise, CSU, SDSU, ? UNLV ?)

I don’t think the Big 12 is in a position to be academic snobs right now. They’ll want to keep their payouts as high as possible. BYU should be in if they can work out their issues. I hope they go full on out west but it seems like the AAC (Cincy, UCF, Houston, Memphis) option is probably more valuable than MWC (Boise, CSU, SDSU, ? UNLV ?)
I would think it would be popular to have a trip every other year for football and an annual trip for basketball. It's hard to beat Las Vegas.

I think the Big10 will be coming for the Pac-12 Football schools soon and this becomes an SEC vs BIG pissing match till they all merge into some upper-tier non-NCAA entity or not...

Expand East.
Cincy, Memphis, UCF,

Expand West

BYU, Boise, CSU?

Would this be enough to
Houston makes a ton of sense, so does Memphis and Cincy, UCF and SMU a bit less .BYU makes sense too, especially they are at a bigger disadvantage with the way the playoff may change.

In fact that may be their new 12 right there. I would think all 4 of those teams make more sense over any of the MW options.

Houston makes a ton of sense, so does Memphis and Cincy, UCF and SMU a bit less .BYU makes sense too, especially they are at a bigger disadvantage with the way the playoff may change.

In fact that may be their new 12 right there. I would think all 4 of those teams make more sense over any of the MW options.

That gets them 12. Do they want 16 and move West?

CSU gets them back in the Colorado market. SDSU So Cal, Fresno? No Cal? UNLV big Vegas Market.

Agree.

I think (hope) they go 16. If they go 12, I doubt UNLV is an option. At 16 and a move out West, there's a shot..

That gets them 12. Do they want 16 and move West?

CSU gets them back in the Colorado market. SDSU So Cal, Fresno? No Cal? UNLV big Vegas Market.
It is possible, but the more teams, the more mouths to feed. They turned down BYU, Cinci, and Houston last time around likely because of that problem.

Do they want to turn into the old WAC?

Some good markets, but not great Market shares out west, at least. Houston has a relatively small market share, but it is a top 5 market.

Greg Thompson said the MWC would be involved and proactive with expansion but no information would be released to the public

Greg Thompson said the MWC would be involved and proactive with expansion but no information would be released to the public
I don’t know how this ends up being positive for the MWC conference as a whole. The only good scenario that I could see happening is the TX schools (Tech, Baylor, TCU) blackball the idea of adding more Texas schools and we somehow get SMU and Houston after the AAC loses its top schools.

Reactions: jmcnamaraiii
Texas& OU are facing about 80M each in exit fees if they leave the big 12 early. I believe they will be working behind the scenes to help other institutions like Oklahoma State or tech to get into another power five conference.

If they can accomplish this they will not have to pay $80 million bucks each to leave the Big 12 because the Big 12 will dissolve.

Reactions: dcut03
Greg Thompson has always been reactive not proactive!
The MW can try to be proactive, but no one will bite until the big dominoes fall. He will be trying to pick up the best of the scraps. Especially if current MW teams get poached. He really has no control.

A super conference from the west to the east is very possible.
That's really the only way to keep up with this monster the SEC is creating. This Texas/Oklahoma move is huge. Everyone thought realignment 10 years ago was crazy but this is a much bigger shift of power than any of the moves we saw last time.

PAC - Utah, Colorado
BIG Ten - Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers
ACC - Pitt, Syracuse, Louisville
SEC - A&M, Missouri
Big 12 - TCU, West Virginia

Mountain West Statement

"The Mountain West immediately engaged when we became aware of the potential for conference realignment. That has included gathering information over the past few days from across the industry, and earlier today our board of directors and directors of athletics convened to evaluate that intelligence and discuss next steps. Our intent is to actively appraise various scenarios, identify potential opportunities and take actions which can positively impact the trajectory of the conference and our member institutions. We will do our work confidentially and only comment further as appropriate or necessary."

- MW Commissioner Craig Thompson

This just in: The potential for conference realignment has been upon us for many years. Even though this statement is a couple days old, the part that says they've been "gathering information over the past few days" underscores the biggest problem with this conference leadership: they have no vision, are always behind the curve, and always have that "what the hell just happened" air about them. We can look forward to adding current WAC teams in the next few years.

Colin Cowherd says USC to the big ten is not that far fetched

I think this is a very real possibility. Im not sure how many teams they add, but my guess is at least 4 from the PAC or even 7. If its 7 Id think SC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, UW, and one of CU, UU, UA . (if its four SC, UCLA, UO, UW) All of those I list are AAU (American Association of University) schools which the BIG prefers (Nebrasksa is not but was when they joined). All ofthe PAC with the exception of the 3 State schools (OSU, WSU,ASU) are AAU members, so if this new proposed conference wanted to get to 3 divisions of 8 could add CU, UU and UA. They also could add AAU schools Iowa St and Kansas.

If the new BIG is 21 schools you could have three 7 team conferences, East, Midwest and West. If they add 4 schools 3 6 team conferences.

East (Exisiting Big10 East)
Rutgers
Maryland
Penn St
Indiana
Ohio St
MSU
UM

Midwest (Existing BIG10 West)
Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Nebraska
Purdue
Minnesota

West
SC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Oregon
UW
(One of)CU, UA, UU, to me CU makes the most these of these, former rivals with Nebraska.

Last edited:
I think this is a very real possibility. Im not sure how many teams they add, but my guess is at least 4 from the PAC or even 7. If its 7 Id think SC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, UW, and one of CU, UU, UA . (if its four SC, UCLA, UO, UW) All of those I list are AAU (American Association of University) schools which the BIG prefers (Nebrasksa is not but was when they joined). All ofthe PAC with the exception of the 3 State schools (OSU, WSU,ASU) are AAU members, so if this new proposed conference wanted to get to 3 divisions of 8 could add CU, UU and UA. They also could add AAU schools Iowa St and Kansas.

If the new BIG is 21 schools you could have three 7 team conferences, East, Midwest and West. If they add 4 schools 3 6 team conferences.

Rutgers
Maryland
Penn St
Indiana
Ohio St
MSU
UM

Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Nebraska
Purdue
Minnesota

West
SC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Oregon
UW
CU, UA, UU
That would be crazy. That would potentially leave ASU and U of A out in the cold. If you end up going that far, may as well make it 24 teams, and shift around a little bit for geography. Maybe put Colorado and Utah in the Midwest group, then shift one of the midwest teams to the East (maybe Minnesota).

Either way, who knows what this whole situation starts to evolve into. Plus, now that TX and OU are talking about staying until 2025, how does that play into things? Maybe that's better for UNLV, since we'll have a couple years to get the ball rolling. Although, this realignment will take time to come together, so who knows.

Reactions: 220reb

Rutgers
Maryland
Penn St
Indiana
Ohio St
MSU
UM

Iowa
Wisconsin
Northwestern
Illinois
Nebraska
Purdue
Minnesota

West
SC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal
Oregon
UW
CU, UA, UU
[/QUOTEwhich means unlv is staying put like I believed all along.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT