ADVERTISEMENT

Menzies full press conference for those interested

I have no interest in bad-mouthing Dave Rice. I have always believed him to be a very decent, and intelligent guy. I don’t believe he was a good fit as head coach. And I freely admit that I was supportive of his hiring when Lon Kruger left. And I’m glad he’s found an assistant’s job in the Pac-12. I wish him the best.

But watching Marvin Menzies conduct this presser was thrilling. His obvious enthusiasm is a joy to behold. Rice could never bring that. He could mouth all of the proper coach-speak responses, but that good-natured pride was never there. His responses were always wooden and rehearsed. And his coaching style reflected it.

That said, I’m trying to temper my own enthusiasm with some of the experiences of the past few years of Rebel basketball. I can recall how excited we, the fan base, were at the signing of Anthony Bennett. And a couple of years later, there was the euphoria over the commitment of Stephen Zimmerman. And yet, the program continued it’s steady decline into mid-major oblivion.

So should we be getting excited now? I think so. For starters, this is more than just Brandon McCoy. He’s certainly the jewel on the crown, but he’s just the most high-profile of an entire class of quality upgrades at every position. But more importantly, in my mind, is Marvin Menzies. That would be the same Marvin Menzies that no one wanted. The same Marvin Menzies that only got the job because a desperate UNLV, having been jilted by two other hires, needed to put somebody, just about anybody, in place to pilot their decimated basketball program.

It’s time for many of us to own up to just how wrong we were to disparage this man. Unlike his predecessor, he will mold these young men into a cohesive unit. Under the previous leadership, these five-star prima donnas were permitted to free-wheel their way through their one-and-done season. I am fully confident that it won’t happen now. They will play as a unit, or they won’t play. That’s what the head coach is supposed to do.

All things considered, I have but one question. When does this season begin? I can’t wait…
big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

I have no interest in bad-mouthing Dave Rice. I have always believed him to be a very decent, and intelligent guy. I don’t believe he was a good fit as head coach. And I freely admit that I was supportive of his hiring when Lon Kruger left. And I’m glad he’s found an assistant’s job in the Pac-12. I wish him the best.

But watching Marvin Menzies conduct this presser was thrilling. His obvious enthusiasm is a joy to behold. Rice could never bring that. He could mouth all of the proper coach-speak responses, but that good-natured pride was never there. His responses were always wooden and rehearsed. And his coaching style reflected it.

That said, I’m trying to temper my own enthusiasm with some of the experiences of the past few years of Rebel basketball. I can recall how excited we, the fan base, were at the signing of Anthony Bennett. And a couple of years later, there was the euphoria over the commitment of Stephen Zimmerman. And yet, the program continued it’s steady decline into mid-major oblivion.

So should we be getting excited now? I think so. For starters, this is more than just Brandon McCoy. He’s certainly the jewel on the crown, but he’s just the most high-profile of an entire class of quality upgrades at every position. But more importantly, in my mind, is Marvin Menzies. That would be the same Marvin Menzies that no one wanted. The same Marvin Menzies that only got the job because a desperate UNLV, having been jilted by two other hires, needed to put somebody, just about anybody, in place to pilot their decimated basketball program.

It’s time for many of us to own up to just how wrong we were to disparage this man. Unlike his predecessor, he will mold these young men into a cohesive unit. Under the previous leadership, these five-star prima donnas were permitted to free-wheel their way through their one-and-done season. I am fully confident that it won’t happen now. They will play as a unit, or they won’t play. That’s what the head coach is supposed to do.

All things considered, I have but one question. When does this season begin? I can’t wait…
big-dancing-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!
Nice post and I could not agtee more. MM is and has been an HC and the dude can flat recruit. FB and BB should be on the rise next year. This team should be able to compete with anyone in the MM. We clearly have the better athletes and competent coaching....IMHO

Reactions: khokhol8
Yes, it is good to get excited about b-ball again. More importantly, MM and his staff have established a very high bar vis-a-vis recruiting. After waiting through most of April for some recruiting news, Marvelous Marvin delivered the goods at the press conference announcing this year's recruiting class.

I am sure that there are many coaches scratching their heads wondering how the hell did UNLV resurrect itself after looking as dead as that woman in Fatal Attraction[winking]

Go Rebels

Reactions: khokhol8
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT