ADVERTISEMENT

News Melvin Johnson

I'll bet anything that he won't be "going back" to UNLV anytime soon.

I predict when his scholarship isn't honored in the future that he won't admit to being recruited over, just a victim of .... (insert plea for pity here).

Reactions: mwsn7022012
Right. Like Sanchez is going to sit back crossing his fingers, and hoping that Johnson doesn't get any better offers, and he falls back into our lap. Turrible

Reactions: mwsn7022012
A stupid comment like that alone says enough about his education and quality as a person. I want student athletes at UNLV who will study and pass their classes, and want to play at UNLV. As for this kid. Thanks, but no thanks! The only time he will ever be at a UNLV game is in the stands.

Reactions: Dloch002
He graduated but he took his SAT late and probably had a tough time getting a qualifying score.
My opinion is that the quote should have never been added to the release. If you ask nearly every kid on the roster if they dreamed of playing for UNLV in high school nearly everyone would say no.
I even have UNLV fans and alumni that feel they want thier kid to go to a bigger school. Its actually a pretty honest comment that shouldn't be taken out of context.
The adult version would be hopefully I gain some BCS offers

I understand his position, but to say that out loud is poor form. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

He graduated but he took his SAT late and probably had a tough time getting a qualifying score.
My opinion is that the quote should have never been added to the release. If you ask nearly every kid on the roster if they dreamed of playing for UNLV in high school nearly everyone would say no.
I even have UNLV fans and alumni that feel they want thier kid to go to a bigger school. Its actually a pretty honest comment that shouldn't be taken out of context.
The adult version would be hopefully I gain some BCS offers

We live in a world now where people have become less and less accountable for their actions and words. Excuses like 'he is a kid' or 'it was taken out of context' are the easy way out. Now what this kid said/did is hardly criminal, but it was ill timed and to be quite honest foolish on a number of levels. In his defense he was probably very disappointed at the time of the quote and he vented a bit. BUT..

Nothing was taken out of context. He said it so he should own it. To me his comments were very indicative of a lot of kids these days. Deflect the blame onto somebody else OR belittle something to divert the attention from yourself.

The reality of the situation is, the kids only other offer was from a Division II school. He was a project player who had potential but was far from a sure thing to ever even see time on the field. Most likely he was going to be greyshirted and then redshirted much like J. Sanders was. He would most likely not see the field for 2 years. Instead of being grateful and taking the high road and saying "I screwed up, I need to get my academics in order' or Sorry I let the coaches down who had the confidence in me to give a scholarship to play football at a division 1 university, he took a shot cheap shot at UNLV whether he intended to or not.

Nothing was taken out of context.

And whether or not kids grow up dreaming of playing for UNLV is not the point. Kids do in fact grow up dreaming of playing division 1 football. UNLV is the only division 1 school to offer this kid a scholarship. That alone deserved a better response from this kid.

Why would any UNLV football coach bust his ass to recruit a marginal Las Vegas player and give him a opportunity to play football and get a free education? Johnson is probably speaking for a good number of LV kids. Very sad. Will Levy has been pushing for years for more local recruits. Johnson just set back local recruiting 10 years.

Why would any UNLV football coach bust his ass to recruit a marginal Las Vegas player and give him a opportunity to play football and get a free education? Johnson is probably speaking for a good number of LV kids. Very sad. Will Levy has been pushing for years for more local recruits. Johnson just set back local recruiting 10 years.
I dont think it will have any bearing on recruiting to be honest. He was a marginal prospect.

To show respect to whoever recruited you shows class. This type of statement, shows ignorance. I think he burned this bridge.

He's actually a very talented player that can run a sub 5.0 40 with an outstanding frame along with upside on either side of the ball. Many 3-star players would have a hard time equaling his raw physical ability.
If it was said on TV I would take it as a slap but this is a telephone interview in which he called about his situation and future plans.
I will add that you should recall Devonte Boyd and Jarrell Harrison were highly talented two stars that didn't qualify out of high school.
Cameron Jefferson, Tyler Gaston, Alex Klorman, Tim Hasson, Kerwynn Williams, Brandon Marshall, etc were all local 2 star player that had outstanding college careers.
Who's to say how he will feel in the future? I just feel the placement of the statement in the article was in distaste. It easily could have been left with the normal statement published as a short sentence stating he failed to qualify academically. Its rare to see a comment like that published.

Now lets pretend this was a recruit from California or Texas? I think most of us would react the same way to these comments as we are in this thread.

It wasn't taken out of context.
He's actually a very talented player that can run a sub 5.0 40 with an outstanding frame along with upside on either side of the ball. Many 3-star players would have a hard time equaling his raw physical ability.
If it was said on TV I would take it as a slap but this is a telephone interview in which he called about his situation and future plans.
I will add that you should recall Devonte Boyd and Jarrell Harrison were highly talented two stars that didn't qualify out of high school.
Cameron Jefferson, Tyler Gaston, Alex Klorman, Tim Hasson, Kerwynn Williams, Brandon Marshall, etc were all local 2 star player that had outstanding college careers.
Who's to say how he will feel in the future? I just feel the placement of the statement in the article was in distaste. It easily could have been left with the normal statement published as a short sentence stating he failed to qualify academically. Its rare to see a comment like that published.

Will-

He had some upside but he was hardly a sure thing to ever see starters minutes. He was very raw, and had good but not great film and production at the high school level.

Personally I am not concerned at all that he didn't qualify academically. Not a huge issue in the large scheme of thing. Its also not a testament to the kids overall intelligence. I really don't think anybody is bothered by that aspect.

What bothers people is that a kid took a shot at the only division 1 school that gave him an offer. Coach Sanchez and his staff handed this kid a college scholarship something kids dream about. To taken it even further, Melvin was essentially the first local kid brought in under Coach Sanchez and was in some ways the poster child of a new commitment to recruiting locals. So in return what did Coach Sanchez and the University get in return for their faith in this kid? A disrespectful shot at the university.

Stop saying it was taken out of context. It wasn't. He said it, period. It doesn't matter if he said it on the phone in a tv interview or if he wrote a note and sent it by carrier pigeon. He said it and he should apologize for it.

I don't think the kid is ignorant or stupid. He said a stupid thing. He should take the first steps in becoming a man and own up to the fact that his comments were disrespectful. Your only offer and you are already talking about getting better offers rather than how you let down the staff that gave you your only offer.

One last note and I wasn't going to bring it up because it felt like piling on but...
If I am not mistaken you spent a lot of time railing against Coach Sanchez and this particular recruiting class. You mentioned the lack of locals, and how we had all these kids in the valley just as good as the ones being brought in from out of state. The other thing that you said that I told you at the time was completely out of line was, that Sanchez was playing with fire by bringing in these out of town kids with questionable academic. You had big concerns over out of town kids being brought in and hurting the APR when they failed to keep up their grades and dropped out.

I'd guess he was upset when finding out he wasnt going to UNLV nor any D1 school. He probably had posted sevreal times where he was going and bragged a few times. This isnt aimed at the staff or university more towards his peers in saying imma make it into a posative, which he might. If he works to his potential I would gladly have him come back. Nothing like having him get the experience and tons of minutes while not wasting a roster spot.

I am sorry, but this kid not only needs to take responsibility for saying something that is really stupid and disrespectful, he also needs to live with the consequences of his actions. Trying to say that he said this in a heated moment, or out of context, is a bunch of crap. In the past UNLV played the recruiting game of going after whoever was left at the end of the recruiting season, and look where that has left the UNLV football program.

In the past, coaches would most likely kept the offer for players like this who are very marginal with the hope that they become a diamond in the rough without any thought to their level of respect to the school or program, and without any real concerns in regards to the players doing anything more than the minimum required in school. Coach Sanchez has already shown in one semester that those days are long gone. In the first semester of the coach Sanchez era, we have seen the team GPA go from 2.3 to over 2.7 with the same student/athletes as they had before. I expect that coach Sanchez will only recruit players that want to come to UNLV and will not take students who are not driven to work hard and driven to get a good education. while this doesn't mean UNLV needs to be their first choice, they will also not be the last choice if no one else wants them.

In this player we have someone that was not driven hard enough to get any other D1 offers, and failed to meet the academic requirements. He has absolutely no respect for UNLV or the football team, so we have no desire to see him ever come to UNLV. If he wants to come to UNLV, he can pay the tuition like most other students

As for it being rare to see a comment published like his, that is because most players will be intelligent enough to have kept their mouth shut.

Reactions: SoCaReb
My last comment, how do you take responsibility for a comment stating I hope to earn better offers by excelling at the JC level.

UNLV locked in 22 players in the last class.
Among those players they beat out New Mexico for Javin White & Darius Mouton, Hawaii for locals Soli Afalava & Salanoa-Alo Wily, Southern Miss & the Sun Belt schools for Will Keitler and Jay'Onn Myles reported offers from (Baylor, Arizona and Hawaii)
The remaining 16 players had 0 FBS/D1 offers so its a wasted point to point out the lack of FBS offers as a negative for a high school prospect signing with UNLV.

Overall, he mentioned the SAT issue in December prior to committing to UNLV and he eventually failed to qualify. That said, the start of the Sanchez era starts tomorrow so I'm sure there will be better thing to discuss in the near future.

My last comment, how do you take responsibility for a comment stating I hope to earn better offers by excelling at the JC level.

UNLV locked in 22 players in the last class.
Among those players they beat out New Mexico for Javin White & Darius Mouton, Hawaii for locals Soli Afalava & Salanoa-Alo Wily, Southern Miss & the Sun Belt schools for Will Keitler and Jay'Onn Myles reported offers from (Baylor, Arizona and Hawaii)
The remaining 16 players had 0 FBS/D1 offers so its a wasted point to point out the lack of FBS offers as a negative for a high school prospect signing with UNLV.

Overall, he mentioned the SAT issue in December prior to committing to UNLV and he eventually failed to qualify. That said, the start of the Sanchez era starts tomorrow so I'm sure there will be better thing to discuss in the near future.
Because you're basically insulting the ONLY school that offered you. If he would have said "more" or "additional" schools, that would be fine, but to say "better" isn't cool.

Will-

No it is important that Unlv was the only school that gave him a scholarship. A college scholarship is an absolute gift/blessing. Add to that he was going to get to play football while going to school. He was handed a golden ticket. A college education essentially for free. Now he is going to work hard and try and get a better offer.

Rather than embrace it, he failed to do the work. Instead of taking the high road and apologizing to the coaching staff that gave him that offer, he took a cheap shot at the staff and the school. It doesnt matter if it was intended or not.

You can make every excuse in world for the kid. The reality is what he said in whatever context he said it, was ill advised. You think it was wrong for it to be reported. I say the kid was in the wrong three different ways. 1st he failed himself by not getting academics in order. 2nd he failed the staff by not getting academics in order. 3rd he made a back handed comment about yhe school/staff.

To Bull's point, the kid is insulting the school that took a chance on him even knowing that he may not qualify. Were other schools willing to do so?

I was checking out a tweet of a UNLV recruit receiving scholarship letter from Sanchez. It clearly states in the letter that the NCAA limits schools to 25 scholarships and requests that the student do their part in becoming eligible should they sign. Melvin wasn't able to make it and he should have been grateful he was given opportunity.

Was the comment taken out of context? Hard to believe given the words used. BUT we've all put our foot in our mouths once (maybe more) in our life. I think the kid should correct the quote of he indeed was misquoted. I can't imagine the journalist wouldn't do so. Problem is the damage is done.

Personally, "don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you" is my thought for Melvin.

Last edited:
To Bull's point, the kid is insulting the school that took a chance on him even knowing that he may not qualify. We're other schools willing to do so?

I was checking out a tweet of a UNLV recruit receiving scholarship letter from Sanchez. It clearly states in the letter that the NCAA limits schools to 25 scholarships and requests that the student do their part in becoming eligible should they sign. Melting wasn't able to make it and he should have been grateful he was given opportunity.

Was the comment taken out of context? Hard to believe given the words used. BUT we've all put our foot in our mouths once (maybe more) in our life. I think the kid should correct the quote of he indeed was misquoted. I can't imagine the journalist wouldn't do so. Problem is the damage is done.

Personally, "don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you" is my thought for Melvin.

Nice post.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT