ADVERTISEMENT

ESPN article about transfers

Doneoett

National Player of the Year
Jun 15, 2015
i

UNLV Rebels

Departed or expected to depart: EJ Harkless (19.1 PPG), Luis Rodriguez (10.7 PPG), Keshon Gilbert (11.4 PPG), Jordan McCabe(5.5 PPG), Keyshawn Hall (5.4 PPG), David Muoka (4.6 PPG), Victor Iwuakor (3.0 PPG), Elijah Parquet (4.3 PPG)
In limbo: None
Expected to return: Justin Webster (8.2 PPG), Jackie Johnson III (6.3 PPG), Shane Nowell (4.8 PPG), Isaiah Cottrell (redshirt)
Newcomers: Brooklyn Hicks (four-star), Jalen Hill (9.7 PPG at Oklahoma), Kalib Boone (10.6 PPG at Oklahoma State), Keylan Boone(13.9 PPG at Pacific)

Luis Rodríguez?

i

UNLV Rebels

Departed or expected to depart: EJ Harkless (19.1 PPG), Luis Rodriguez (10.7 PPG), Keshon Gilbert (11.4 PPG), Jordan McCabe(5.5 PPG), Keyshawn Hall (5.4 PPG), David Muoka (4.6 PPG), Victor Iwuakor (3.0 PPG), Elijah Parquet (4.3 PPG)
In limbo: None
Expected to return: Justin Webster (8.2 PPG), Jackie Johnson III (6.3 PPG), Shane Nowell (4.8 PPG), Isaiah Cottrell (redshirt)
Newcomers: Brooklyn Hicks (four-star), Jalen Hill (9.7 PPG at Oklahoma), Kalib Boone (10.6 PPG at Oklahoma State), Keylan Boone(13.9 PPG at Pacific)

Luis Rodríguez?
Expected to depart, didn’t happen. Remember back a few months ago when all of the Chicken Little‘s expected the entire team to depart?

Expected to depart, didn’t happen. Remember back a few months ago when all of the Chicken Little‘s expected the entire team to depart?
That’s why I love the Blaxican Assassin..dude could have punked out and left. But he didn’t quit. We need guys who don’t quit and are willing to fight for a starting spot on the team.

Everyone else who cut and ran, they knew they weren’t good enough to fight for their spots.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I expected a lot of them and that’s what happened.

And without mattering where we finish next season, I expect similar.

That’s what this game has become. Hired mercenaries, one year deal.

Blah.

I often think that some of this transfer happy activity is due to narcissism. Who doesn't love the dopamine rush that you get when people want you and actively pursue you. I'm sure many of these young men crave the attention that comes from having coaches and fan bases swoon over you--especially when you’re surrounded by ones that don't.

...maybe.

But what do I know? I'm just some marginally athletic, middle-aged elementary school teacher. When I tell people I played at UNLV, I have to follow that up with "in the band."

Last edited:
I often think that some of this transfer happy activity is due to narcissism. Who doesn't love the dopamine rush that you get when people want you and actively pursue you. I'm sure many of these young men crave the attention that comes from having coaches and fan bases swoon over you--especially when your surrounded by ones that don't.

...maybe.

But what do I know? I'm just some marginally athletic, middle-aged elementary school teacher. When I tell people I played at UNLV, I have to follow that up with "in the band."
Welcome GhostRebel to RebelNet!!

Yeah the dopamine rush of the 4000 fans that showed up to the games last year. That must have been fun for them.

Or if your out in Las Vegas outside campus and nobody recognizes you in a city of a million people lol.

Middle aged, what are we talking about? I’m an old 46 year old dude who played the clarinet in high school.

Talk a bit about yourself!!

Reactions: GhostRebel
I often think that some of this transfer happy activity is due to narcissism. Who doesn't love the dopamine rush that you get when people want you and actively pursue you. I'm sure many of these young men crave the attention that comes from having coaches and fan bases swoon over you--especially when your surrounded by ones that don't.

...maybe.

You see it all of the time with them craving the attention on social media. That's their "love" nowadays. That and 'the grass is always greener elsewhere' mentality comes into play.

This one time at band camp... Joking aside, thank you for entertaining us for years.

I don’t like what CBB has become (really miss the old days when I could follow players for 4 years and watch a team develop - young Augmon, Hunt & Butler knocking off #1 AZ in the Sweet 16 and see them grow into the best CBB team of all time plus Johnson, Anthony and others) but I also believe it is fairer to the players who’ve been making a lot of other folks sh^t tons of money. What I really wonder is what guys like LJ and Augmon could have commanded in today’s market?!!

I don’t like what CBB has become (really miss the old days when I could follow players for 4 years and watch a team develop - young Augmon, Hunt & Butler knocking off #1 AZ in the Sweet 16 and see them grow into the best CBB team of all time plus Johnson, Anthony and others) but I also believe it is fairer to the players who’ve been making a lot of other folks sh^t tons of money. What I really wonder is what guys like LJ and Augmon could have commanded in today’s market?!!
Ain’t nothing our old school boosters couldn’t handle I would think.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I was at work. I saw a young man with a young woman and 2 older ladies. I herd them talking about Basketball. Thought it was Summer League related. Looked familiar thought it was maybe a rookie . So i asked them how it was going and the older lady said you like the NBA i said a bit and i said i am a BIG UNLV fan. Then the young man said i play for UNLV. LOL. I said who he said JW. I said oh sorry i did not recognize you with the haircut. LOL. I followed with saying your are best shooter and i am glad you stayed i knew you were on the fence on maybe leaving. Kicked off a few other things to let him no i was not blowing hot air.

I often think that some of this transfer happy activity is due to narcissism. Who doesn't love the dopamine rush that you get when people want you and actively pursue you. I'm sure many of these young men crave the attention that comes from having coaches and fan bases swoon over you--especially when you’re surrounded by ones that don't.

...maybe.

Good to see another UNLV fine-arts person on here. I can't even say I "played at UNLV". I'm not that cool. I "sang at UNLV" on a partial scholarship. Could've probably had a full but didn't want to major in music. Majored in Biology instead and became a dentist. I'm a can't miss invite to karaoke night though. 😆

Thanks for the friendly reception. I've been lurking this board for about 20 years*, but have only written 3-4 times. Really, I'm just too far removed from the program (and Vegas in general) to have anything to add to the conversation. Those of you who are closer keep me engaged and informed. Much appreciation for that!

I graduated from Western in 1992, then majored in music at UNLV from 92-95. I ended up transferring to East Texas Baptist University (class of 98), and been in Texas ever since.

Interesting side note- I spent some time in Latvia last month. Kaspars Kambala is a pretty big deal there. The people I talked to were impressed that I knew who he was.

* my username used to be BaytownRebel, or something like that.

Last edited:
Western, huh?
Rancho 1990 here.

I see you are in Texas. Where at? I spent time at Fort Hood/Cavazos.

Western, huh?
Rancho 1990 here.

I see you are in Texas. Where at? I spent time at Fort Hood/Cavazos.
If my family hadn't moved right before HS I would have gone to Rancho. I grew up at Nellis and went to Bridger for junior high. Nowadays I live in Hawkins, a little town about 20 miles north of Tyler.

If you ask me the early '90s was a great time to be coming of age in Vegas! So many great memories.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT