ADVERTISEMENT

Maybe a little premature but..

Others receiving votes? When was the last time? Maybe Sanford when they started 4-1 and beat ASU and ISU back to back?
I would think that was probably when …

Still, we can’t do better than 5-1 so props for that. And that they won the games they were supposed to win … in lopsided fashion … again, lots of credit for that, as well. And I DO think they’ve passed the eye test as a good team, though it’s tougher to measure based upon below. But it looks different, feels different … for me it’s because of the intangibles since I can’t rely on what we’ve seen against very poor teams. They don’t get rattled. They don’t turn it over. They force turnovers. They tackle better. Special teams is better. Play calling has been varied but unpredictable enough - or they just use more options …. Fan of the game clock management, as well … I don’t see that deer in the headlights look from the sidelines or on the field … all this I attribute to coaching and their philosophies.

Still lots of warts, we had some reinforced yesterday. But seriously, year one for this guy and in no time he turned us from what UNR is currently to a team that competes in all phases of the game. Yeah, gotta be happy about that.

I would think that was probably when …

Still, we can’t do better than 5-1 so props for that. And that they won the games they were supposed to win … in lopsided fashion … again, lots of credit for that, as well. And I DO think they’ve passed the eye test as a good team, though it’s tougher to measure based upon below. But it looks different, feels different … for me it’s because of the intangibles since I can’t rely on what we’ve seen against very poor teams. They don’t get rattled. They don’t turn it over. They force turnovers. They tackle better. Special teams is better. Play calling has been varied but unpredictable enough - or they just use more options …. Fan of the game clock management, as well … I don’t see that deer in the headlights look from the sidelines or on the field … all this I attribute to coaching and their philosophies.

Still lots of warts, we had some reinforced yesterday. But seriously, year one for this guy and in no time he turned us from what UNR is currently to a team that competes in all phases of the game. Yeah, gotta be happy about that.

Examples of doing something 'different'. After 4 games UNLV was last in the country in presnap motionat like 4% of plays. Not a bad stat or anything. They just didn't use a lot of motion. Hawaii game offense seemed to use motion 50% of the time (don't know exact number but it was noticeable). We've barely used TEs in passing game this year. Vs Reno there were 4 plays that looked specifically designed to go to the TE (three catches) another wrinkle.

The sheer number of times guys are going untouched on some of those TDs is crazy.

Examples of doing something 'different'. After 4 games UNLV was last in the country in presnap motionat like 4% of plays. Not a bad stat or anything. They just didn't use a lot of motion. Hawaii game offense seemed to use motion 50% of the time (don't know exact number but it was noticeable). We've barely used TEs in passing game this year. Vs Reno there were 4 plays that looked specifically designed to go to the TE (three catches) another wrinkle.

The sheer number of times guys are going untouched on some of those TDs is crazy.
You mean we don't have to watch series after series of Arroyo trying to run up middle, run up middle, and bubble screen, then punt?

Bull, IMO UNLV purposely went vanilla early with a totally new offense and a freshmen QB. As Maiava gets more game reps and experience Marion is slowly opening up the play book.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
You mean we don't have to watch series after series of Arroyo trying to run up middle, run up middle, and bubble screen, then punt?
When a bad team is extremely predictable, the results will be ugly.

We mix it up but still manage to stay safe with our plays. There’s nothing super risky, we haven’t gone to trick plays. Most passes are pretty safe. But we mix it up well enough. And it is fooling people, you don’t get that many long rushing yards without being touched. That’s more than people holding their blocks - that’s the defense being fooled at the snap. So the mix is really working right now, really well.

We went with a run on 3rd and 7 in the 4th Q, I believe. Came up a yard short and were going to go for it on 4th. But there was a penalty that set us back to punt. Anyway, I was not at all surprised with the call, I didn’t predict it exactly … but when you have a good chance at running 7 yards on third and long … you have a very diverse set of plays you can run on any down, any length. In a league like this, with the competition we play … that is huge. So a lot of credit to Marion for mixing it well and a lot of credit to the players in picking up on the nuances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT