ADVERTISEMENT

Mani Powell

Maybe another Woodard type of find?
I hope Odom keeps stockpiling guys on the defense, especially the DL and Edge positions!

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Keep in mind these guys committed, but nothing is set in stone.
That is why you keep working until signing day!
Keep bolstering the defense. Keep identifying talent that could make a difference here from all levels FCS, G5 and P4 guys who want to start here and let it all shake out later on signing day!

There is a spring portal period from April 15-30. We're supposed to take a step up with a QB from Holy Cross or Cambell? I mean Brumfield could put up better numbers where they were at. I just don't get that's what we are going for right now. Be shocked if White stays.

Hate away.

There is a spring portal period from April 15-30. We're supposed to take a step up with a QB from Holy Cross or Cambell? I mean Brumfield could put up better numbers where they were at. I just don't get that's what we are going for right now. Be shocked if White stays.

Hate away.
This is not true at all. Brumfield would not do that at any level.

Why would anyone hate your comment though? Everyone for the most part agrees that Hajj is not a world beater.

Who would you have picked up at QB?

Last edited:

Hate away.
This is on my mind too.. White leaving would be a huge blow to the offense!

This is not true at all. Brumfield would not do that at any level.

Why would anyone hate your comment though? Everyone for the most part agrees that Hajj is not a world beater.

Who would you have picked up at QB?
Disagree with Brum in those 2 conferences.

Probably go after someone better prior when it was mentioned that everyone knew about Maiava being open to offers because of his handlers by everyone the entire time? I'm sure the coaches knew that as well. It's not worth arguing about him tho.

Probably go after someone better prior when it was mentioned that everyone knew about Maiava being open to offers because of his handlers by everyone the entire time? I'm sure the coaches knew that as well. It's not worth arguing about him tho.
No one is arguing about Maiava. I'm just asking who you personally think is a better QB that they could have brought in. Idk whats so hard about answering that lmao

No one is arguing about Maiava. I'm just asking who you personally think is a better QB that they could have brought in. Idk whats so hard about answering that lmao
That wasn't the point. Apparently it was known secretly that Maiava was always open for business. Shouldn't the coaches have known as well and adjusted as such? Or just a few that post on Rebel-Net knew this. It seems like the coaches were caught off-guard.

That wasn't the point. Apparently it was known secretly that Maiava was always open for business. Shouldn't the coaches have known as well and adjusted as such? Or just a few that post on Rebel-Net knew this. It seems like the coaches were caught off-guard.
I can’t imagine the coaches were caught off-guard. They were also prepping for the bowl game and they also have to follow recruiting periods, etc.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1

Yes they were aware he potentially could bolt. He's asking you what QB in the portal they should have gone after.

Sluka is plenty good enough for me. Now if they can get Salter...but no, Sluka good enough.
I don’t know about this dude, I saw a few games but he looked okay nothing great. I know someone will pull up his stats but Salter was not as dynamic as the guy before him!

I don’t know about this dude, I saw a few games but he looked okay nothing great. I know someone will pull up his stats but Salter was not as dynamic as the guy before him!
Hajj Williams play UNC toe to toe in the first quarter until UNC offence over power them. Campbell defense is worst than my son's high school's team. Williams is committed. Now you got Sluka coming for a visit this weekend. Check downs in one game against BC an ACC team. I saw a few games after, the dude scans the whole field from left to right and from right to left looking for open receivers then he take off. His sideline fade throws are as pretty as I have seen some time. HC have decent WR for an FCS team but not competing at the national level.

A lot of you guys look down on FCS players and think we are too good for them. There are a lot of reasons players are in FCS instead of FBS. That doesn’t mean that they didn’t start out in FBS because they lack talent.

If you look around the portal you see FCS players going to P4 schools all the time. Our coaches track record is pretty good hitting on these type of targets. De Jesus only had our offer last year. Jet Thomas was overlooked by everyone until we got him and he led all freshmen in TDS.

I’d be a little less critical and give these guys the benefit of the doubt. If our coaches evaluated them and think they are worthy than I’ll trust their judgement until they prove me wrong.

Everyone wants De Laura and a bunch of the other guys from P4 schools in the portal. The facts are it’s going to be hard to compete right now in the NIL space to get these guys. We are nowhere near where we should be with that.

That wasn't my point. Of course the cupboard is a little bare now.
It’s this simple!
If you are going to come at someone, stay on point of the post don’t add a bunch of useless diarrhea or change the subject and go down some rabbit hole!

I will say this, what does this matter?

We name guys all the time, everyone of us do and it doesn’t matter because naming a guy doesn’t change anything. You name someone, is there even mutual interest, does the guy fit what we want to do? I mean there are so many details that naming a guy or not does not add credibility it’s all just our speculation, period!

Compare our situation w. Boise. Green didn't play footsie and entered the portal appropriately. That gave them time to move on the 5* QB from USC. Now they got Malachi and we're stuck arguing over QBs from Campell and Holy Cross. Sweet! If dude went to Boise, I'm sure he would have considered UNLV. That was the only point I was trying to make.

Compare our situation w. Boise. Green didn't play footsie and entered the portal appropriately. That gave them time to move on the 5* QB from USC. Now they got Malachi and we're stuck arguing over QBs from Campell and Holy Cross. Sweet! If dude went to Boise, I'm sure he would have considered UNLV. That was the only point I was trying to make.
If Sluka decided on UNLV, I am willing to bet that UNLV and Sluka will fared better than Boise and their #1 player.

Malachi has a lot of issues. That being said we could have had him if we were willing to pay the price his people wanted for nil. We weren’t.

I’m not sold on him at all. I think we will have better numbers at the qb position than Boise this year no matter who we start.

Malachi has a lot of issues. That being said we could have had him if we were willing to pay the price his people wanted for nil. We weren’t.

I’m not sold on him at all. I think we will have better numbers at the qb position than Boise this year no matter who we start.
Boise, ID is a good place to work things out. I did moved from Vegas to Portland, OR to work things out. Good luck to the kid hope he does well just not against UNLV.

It’s this simple!
If you are going to come at someone, stay on point of the post don’t add a bunch of useless diarrhea or change the subject and go down some rabbit hole!

I will say this, what does this matter?

We name guys all the time, everyone of us do and it doesn’t matter because naming a guy doesn’t change anything. You name someone, is there even mutual interest, does the guy fit what we want to do? I mean there are so many details that naming a guy or not does not add credibility it’s all just our speculation, period!

There's a difference between screaming.

'The staff should have gotten better players!'

And actually naming who you think the staff should gave targeted.

A comment was made about being underwhelmed by who was brought in from the portal.

That's fine.

A question was asked 'ok who would you rather have seen the staff target'.

It's an equally fair and reasonable question.

When people post in absolutes like

'The staff should get better players!'

Who? is a reasonable question.

'How could the staff get blindsided like this!'

Does anyone know for a fact they were blind sided?

Last edited:
Reactions: dcut03 and ckfitz
That wasn't my point. Of course the cupboard is a little bare now.

That actually was the point. Name any QB that was in the portal at any time that you think UNLV had a legit shot at getting.

The Maiava thing was extremely fluid. and @lobbybuu can correct me if I'm wrong.

Staff thought Maiava would stay initially, but they were still looking at QBs.

An NIL deal UNLV was unwilling to match came along. Maiava bolted.

That actually was the point. Name any QB that was in the portal at any time that you think UNLV had a legit shot at getting.

The Maiava thing was extremely fluid. and @lobbybuu can correct me if I'm wrong.

Staff thought Maiava would stay initially, but they were still looking at QBs.

An NIL deal UNLV was unwilling to match came along. Maiava bolted.
Considering Georgia got out played in the last second by USC, UNLV had zero chance.

ADs have now become GMs and G5 schools are having to play Moneyball.

'We can have this former 5* guy at USC with 3 career passing attempts'

Ok what's the price?

Well we can't keep Ricky White and potentially two other guys.

Did UNLV have the NIL money to get him is the bigger question.

The other question, even if they did, was it worth the price if it meant not being able to get or keep other players.

Boise State still has deeper pockets than UNLV at this point.

UNLV still has to be shrewd with how it approaches NIL and how much they want to spend especially on one player.

If we lost out on a prospect to UNM or UNR I'd be way more concerned.

Harper is attempting to lessen that gap but it will take time.

UNLV is still a relatively young university, meaning it's pool of donors/alumni with $$$ is still relatively small in comparison to a lot of other schools.

There's a lot of money in Vegas but not a lot that has direct ties to UNLV.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT