ADVERTISEMENT

Line is unlv 2.5 over Wyoming

Not to get this thread completely off the rails, but I was thinking of some guys I would have liked to see in this offense and defense. Not a shot at current dudes in any way or saying these following guys would have been better.

QB Omar Clayton (people forget how good he was until injury)

RB- Chuck and Lex in the same backfield

WR Devante Davis

LB Windmon

SF Jamaal Brimmer. Odom would have been lining him up all over. Guy might have had 5+ sacks 5+ interceptions and lead team in tackles.
Heck, Armani Rogers...kid had wheels and could sling the ball but couldn't stay healthy...

It matters because of where you started. Which previous season plays a role in.

You start season at #40, lose a game drop 10 spots or whatever. Win a couple in a row move back up.

Start in the 90s or worse like we did, it's a bigger hill to climb.
Yeesh, I don't think it matters 2/3'rds into the season. Especially the coaches poll. I don't think the coaches are studying power rankings.
Perceived "goodness" of football teams are where it is at. For that I'm sure some voters see Fresno's Record and remembers their season last year. Also beating a name in Boise carries weight, even though they are an inconsistent mess this year.

I do think there is also some level of "A MW team probably should be in here" especially one with a good record. I still think that we would have taken Fresno's spot after a bad loss from AFA.

Looking at rosters.

Sanchez, Arroyo and Odom.

Throw recruiting ratings of their classes out the window. There was also some overlap of players.

I don't think this Rebel team is miles above what Arroyo and Sanchez were putting on the field in terms of talent.

But they are more prepared. Offense and defense are both innovative. Special teams are a strength not an after thought.

And that's been the difference between Arroyo, Sanchez and Odom. The difference between 4-8 or 5-7 and 7-2.

My guess is Odom's recruiting rankings will improve. But he'll also land a number of under the radar guys that simply fit his system. He was praised at a couple stops for making 3 star after thought guys in all conference guys on defense.
So far he is doing well for this upcoming season.

I do think Arroyo was a good recruiter. It gets de emphasized considering how the teams faired on the field. And initial recruit rankings do not matter once games play, but I do think we are seeing what a lot of these dudes are capable of now. I think he found some hidden gems as well. Jerrae Williams being one of them.

I'm sure these rankings may change, its a long way away from the final signing day. Not sure if the Karson Gordon flip has made it to these rankings. But considering how low Odom's initial class was and the gems we were able to get from that class, I think the future is bright.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Very good recruiter. Bad game day coach. Not personable either.

Odom is the exact opposite. We’ll see how he recruits, but in-game coaching and approachability are his strong points.

Yeesh, I don't think it matters 2/3'rds into the season. Especially the coaches poll. I don't think the coaches are studying power rankings.
Perceived "goodness" of football teams are where it is at. For that I'm sure some voters see Fresno's Record and remembers their season last year. Also beating a name in Boise carries weight, even though they are an inconsistent mess this year.

I do think there is also some level of "A MW team probably should be in here" especially one with a good record. I still think that we would have taken Fresno's spot after a bad loss from AFA.

Coaches poll I agree.

UNLV is #1 in the country covering spread in 8 of 9 games (CSU being the exception). If UNLV shows up ready to play, I can see UNLV winning be a couple of TD's. Wyoming is a far better team at home than on the road.

They are but man...Call it years of being battered. But -6 feels a little steep..
Wyoming is good at home but on the road not so much. Playing at their elevation is easily worth 10 points. Wyoming has only played two conference road games losing 32-7 to BSU and losing 34-27 to Air Force. There entire season was based on how they started which included beating Texas Tech 35-33.

Armani was a bigger version of Doug. Injury issues and just inability to complete simple passes really hurt. He had a big arm for sure. But was less accurate than Doug
Armani was a heck of an athlete. Just struggled playing the position that’s for sure...on the subject, I would love to see Jason Thomas in this, or really any modern spread offense. I’ve said before that he was ahead of his time. With all the read option, RPOs and designed QB runs, he would have been electric. Probably wouldn’t have ended up an UNLV though.

Armani was a heck of an athlete. Just struggled playing the position that’s for sure...on the subject, I would love to see Jason Thomas in this, or really any modern spread offense. I’ve said before that he was ahead of his time. With all the read option, RPOs and designed QB runs, he would have been electric. Probably wouldn’t have ended up an UNLV though.
I think UNLV is perfectly fine with the current 3 time freshman player of the week as the QB.

Interesting. He was a big dude as well. Not the most accurate passer but offense back then was a run run run play action and shots downfield.

Today you see some inflated completion %s with all the bubble screens and 3,4 and 5 wr sets and short passes acted like a run game.

Thomas pre injury would have been fun to watch in this offense for sure.

Good call.

Wyoming is good at home but on the road not so much. Playing at their elevation is easily worth 10 points. Wyoming has only played two conference road games losing 32-7 to BSU and losing 34-27 to Air Force. There entire season was based on how they started which included beating Texas Tech 35-33.

There's some truth to that. But they were giving Texas all they could handle heading into the 4th quarter on the road.

They are definitely better at home.

I'm really curious to see where the late money comes in.

I think UNLV is perfectly fine with the current 3 time freshman player of the week as the QB.
I don't think anyone is disagreeing, well maybe there's still a few who think DB is just sick still...

I think we're just kicking around former players we'd love to see with a competent coaching staff and what that would've done for their talent

Absolutely.

It was more past guys that we think would/could have performed well in this offense or defense.

I mean imagine Jamaal Brimmer playing as the third SF in this 3-3-5.

Lined up deep ball hawking. Lined up in the slot to play the run, blitz, cover..

I think he could have been DPOY in conference.

I agree he's doing great. I would love, however, to have a QB who could really break loose and run. With this offense that would add a dimension that would make us even better.

• Angry
Reactions: RebelScrub
I don't think anyone is disagreeing, well maybe there's still a few who think DB is just sick still...

I think we're just kicking around former players we'd love to see with a competent coaching staff and what that would've done for their talent

My guess Doug enters portal sooner than later.

• Sad
I agree he's doing great. I would love, however, to have a QB who could really break loose and run. With this offense that would add a dimension that would make us even better.

Maiava keeps teams honest with his legs on the zone read stuff.

It's funny he has a few pretty long runs this year.

But you're right he's not exactly explosive.

Has family in Vegas I believe. Hope that's enough to keep him.
Yeah local kid, played at Liberty, will get his NIL due for a QB1 in the offseason.. he's going to get more exposure playing here than as depth at a P5 program... that and I think the CSU kid will be the QB poached by a big program in the offseason

Just going to say this!
I hated to see that QB recruit de-commit the other day!
Maiava is playing well but if the QB spot had a real dual threat we would be an awesome offense!

Just going to say this!
Maiava is playing well but if the QB spot had a real dual threat we would be an awesome offense!
Maiava is tied with the most times (3) ever in the MWC for the same player being freshman of the week. We have an amazing QB who will only get better over the years, and we need someone else?

Reactions: unlove
Maybe we need someone else, maybe not. Who knows how long Maiava will be here.

Same thing would've gone for Gordon. Doubtful he would've contributed in year 1 as a true freshman. Same thing for year 2.

Who knows if Marion would still be here (doubtful right?). If he isn't, would Gordon have come anyways?
Regardless the staff recruited a QB in this class and more than likely will bring in another one because that is what you do, you keep recruiting a position of need because that’s how it’s done! I didn’t say anyone would start or not so don’t put words into it. I simply said the QB recruit was a decent get who would have competed once he was here, isn’t that what we want here or are you guys a bunch losers who cling to whoever is starting as if they are the only player we need? I am for whoever gives us the best chance to win, year in and year out and I think we can do better than Maiava. I hope Odom doesn’t get complacent in recruiting like some of you here!

Last edited:
you know what kind of coach doesnt bring in a QB because he thinks he’s set at that position? You guessed it…a coach who wants to be fired.

Just going to say this!
If you follow along, he didnt decommit because of football reasons.. @lobbybuu has been pretty on top of it regarding UCLAs attraction as a Track and Field star and his Olympic Aspirations... If it was purely about football, Im betting he doesnt decommit.

Regardless the staff recruited a QB in this class and more than likely will bring in another one because that is what you do, you keep recruiting a position of need because that’s how it’s done! I didn’t say anyone would start or not so don’t put words into it. I simply said the QB recruit was a decent get who would have competed once he was here, isn’t that what we want here or are you guys a bunch losers who cling to whoever is starting as if they are the only player we need? I am for whoever gives us the best chance to win, year in and year out and I think we can do better than Maiava. I hope Odom doesn’t get complacent in recruiting like some of you here!
I didn’t say we shouldn’t recruit another QB for this class, so don’t put words into it!

This is college football in 2023. Who knows what’s going to happen and who will be here next year (current players transferring, recruits, coaches leaving etc). Can’t get too high or low on anything. Sucks but this is the current reality.

Of course it is the coaches job to recruit and re-recruit new and current players, respectively. This never stops.

For the record, for our QB, I’ll take what Maiava has given us this season 100 out of 100 times.

Reactions: 1Tripoda
I didn’t say we shouldn’t recruit another QB for this class, so don’t put words into it!

This is college football in 2023. Who knows what’s going to happen and who will be here next year (current players transferring, recruits, coaches leaving etc). Can’t get too high or low on anything. Sucks but this is the current reality.

Of course it is the coaches job to recruit and re-recruit new and current players, respectively. This never stops.

For the record, for our QB, I’ll take what Maiava has given us this season 100 out of 100 times.
Dont forget we also have RS Bo Admundson on deck. I have not seen any of his video but those who have said he is pretty good.
I know UNLV have offered Trever Jackson BUT I like this this kid better...

Top of the list

Last edited:
If you follow along, he didnt decommit because of football reasons.. @lobbybuu has been pretty on top of it regarding UCLAs attraction as a Track and Field star and his Olympic Aspirations... If it was purely about football, Im betting he doesnt decommit.

Exactly and another thing to consider. Maiava is having a really nice year as a freshman.

That could mean three years before any incoming QBs see the field.

That could affect some decisions.

Interesting. He was a big dude as well. Not the most accurate passer but offense back then was a run run run play action and shots downfield.

Today you see some inflated completion %s with all the bubble screens and 3,4 and 5 wr sets and short passes acted like a run game.

Thomas pre injury would have been fun to watch in this offense for sure.

Good call.
He definitely wasn’t the most accurate, but they also didn’t play to his strengths. John Robinson had a certain way of doing things and running the QB just wasn’t one of them. Not blaming JR really at all. He won and won a lot doing things his way (even brought relevance to UNLV for a short amount of time). He struggled with the curl route (and we ran it A LOT), but was much better on the move. But an offense with a lot of designed runs and read option would have been ideal for him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT