ADVERTISEMENT

Line is unlv 2.5 over Wyoming

Here is the stat for Wyoming

Their QB is a scamper SOB.

Their defense looks stouts. A lot sacks. We have more, 15 to 20. Probably how elusive their QB is. Their O=line look solid.

Should be a much easier game for UNLV than CSU.
I have to be honest, I am glad that I am a UNLV fan...UNLV's defense is a scary bunch. They stalked and pounce on the opponents like some crazy predators.

Last edited:
Here is the stat for Wyoming

Their QB is a scamper SOB.

Their defense looks stouts. A lot sacks. We have more, 15 to 20. Probably how elusive their QB is. Their O=line look solid.

Should be a much easier game for UNLV than CSU.

Wyoming was tied with Texas 10-10 on the road heading into the 4th quarter.

I wouldn't sell them short.

This is the game I’m looking forward to the most. Should be a great game with great atmosphere.

Winning this game would be a big statement on just how far the program has progressed in a short period of time under Odom

Wyoming aren't a top 25 team, but it's a very solid G5 school.

Would give Rebs a win over a team with winning record.

And a lot of momentum heading to Air Force.

Wyoming was tied with Texas 10-10 on the road heading into the 4th quarter.

I wouldn't sell them short.
I wouldn't. They are a good team. UNLV team is different. The anger and emotions from losing to Fresno looks real and undaunting. They are out for scalps. UNLV left their first string in last night to make a statement even though the game was out off hand.

Reactions: UNLVINMD
Fresno is just -2 @ SJSU. Another very important game in the MWC championship race. A SJSU win puts them right back in contention.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Fresno is just -2 @ SJSU. Another very important game in the MWC championship race. A SJSU win puts them right back in contention.
SJSU lost to both Boise and Air Force. Air Force would need to lose all 3 games for SJSU to pass them. SJSU then would need to beat both Fresno State and UNLV to be able to be in the MWC championship. Any combination could happen for any of the top 6 teams, but I would prefer to be in the drivers seat than wishing other teams win or lose in order to proceed!

25Fresno StateFresno State8-1113NR

Complete Rankings
Others receiving votes: Air Force 78, Iowa 57, USC 56, Kansas State 52, Liberty 50, Duke 24, UCLA 22, SMU 20, UNLV 10, Toledo 8, NC State 4, Kentucky 4, Troy 2, West Virginia 1
Rankings show some improvement. We are above NC State, Kentucky, and West Virginia who just smacked BYU in Provo. Go Rebs

25Fresno StateFresno State8-1113NR

Complete Rankings
Others receiving votes: Air Force 78, Iowa 57, USC 56, Kansas State 52, Liberty 50, Duke 24, UCLA 22, SMU 20, UNLV 10, Toledo 8, NC State 4, Kentucky 4, Troy 2, West Virginia 1
Rankings show some improvement. We are above NC State, Kentucky, and West Virginia who just smacked BYU in Provo. Go Rebs
10 votes in top 25. Man, that is not something I would have thought for UNLV Football. Almost hard to believe as true. Just an incredible accomplishment. Of course, it means nothing if we lose our remaining games. Keep the focus on the next opponent boys! (Can’t tell you how many times I think about that Fresno loss…)

10 votes in top 25. Man, that is not something I would have thought for UNLV Football. Almost hard to believe as true. Just an incredible accomplishment. Of course, it means nothing if we lose our remaining games. Keep the focus on the next opponent boys! (Can’t tell you how many times I think about that Fresno loss…)
If we won the Fresno game we would either be in the top 25 or darn close to it. Amazing.

If we won the Fresno game we would either be in the top 25 or darn close to it. Amazing.
We'd be ranked.. purely off record at 8-1... even at 7-2, we're getting votes.. get to 9-2, with wins vs Wyoming and AFA and there's a good chance vs SJSU we've got that # next to the name

Was Colorado bottom 25 last year?
Colorado was fools gold. They started off great and have dropped to 4-5. I only count where you end up at the end of the year which is still 3 games away.

On a side note I went and bought tickets for the Wyoming game because originally family was not able to go, and the section I was going to buy in is sold out so had to move to a different section. Funny considering on line still shows about 20-30 seats in that area.

Was Colorado bottom 25 last year?

Yes.

If Rebs beat Fresno, I'm still not sure they'd be top 25 if everything else had played the same across the country

Liberty and JMU are still undefeated. Tulane is 8-1. Then you'd have to make an argument of deserving to jump Notre Dame, an Arizona team on a really nice roll and a couple other 2 loss P5 teams.

It would be really close.

(Not arguing a 3 loss Notre Dame team deserves to be top 25 just saying not sure voters would jump UNLV over them or an Arizona)

Yes.

If Rebs beat Fresno, I'm still not sure they'd be top 25 if everything else had played the same across the country

Liberty and JMU are still undefeated. Tulane is 8-1. Then you'd have to make an argument of deserving to jump Notre Dame, an Arizona team on a really nice roll and a couple other 2 loss P5 teams.

(Not arguing a 3 loss Notre Dame team deserves to be top 25 just saying not sure voters would jump UNLV over them or an Arizona)
If we beat Fresno, there is reason to believe that we would hold that 25 spot right now. Our SOS are nearly identical. Though we would have beat exactly 1 team with a winning record. I guess they are in the same boat, but they have beaten 2 4-5 teams.

If we beat Fresno, there is reason to believe that we would hold that 25 spot right now. Our SOS are nearly identical. Though we would have beat exactly 1 team with a winning record. I guess they are in the same boat, but they have beaten 2 4-5 teams.

Gotta remember Fresno finished last season really strong and beat WASU in a bowl game.

So they probably started in the 40's?

Started off well this season.

We started off probably 100s? Maybe 90s?

A lot more ground to make up.

Sanford year 4 Rebels were 4-1 after beating a ranked ASU (#16 I think) on the road followed by another P5 win over Iowa State. I think they maybe got a vote or two for top 25.

Most of that stuff doesnt matter at this point in the season. Voters arent watching every MWC game. They're looking at box scores and results. If UNLV had an 8-1 record with its only loss to Michigan, the Voters would have us there. Even at 7-2, theyre looking at the box score and going a 6-2 team just thumped another team, 10 votes... but you can bet there will be eyes on UNLV in the isolated Friday night game and against Air Force. If we come out and take Wyoming down by 2 TDs, it might be enough to crack the top 25.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Most of that stuff doesnt matter at this point in the season. Voters arent watching every MWC game. They're looking at box scores and results. If UNLV had an 8-1 record with its only loss to Michigan, the Voters would have us there. Even at 7-2, theyre looking at the box score and going a 6-2 team just thumped another team, 10 votes... but you can bet there will be eyes on UNLV in the isolated Friday night game and against Air Force. If we come out and take Wyoming down by 2 TDs, it might be enough to crack the top 25.

Who are you taking out of current top 25?

Who are you taking out of current top 25?
Voting and reality aren’t the same. We smothered the hell out of a bad team last time. We beat the hell out of the bad teams on the schedule, eked out wins against not quite as bad as the bottom of our schedule (Vandy) and mediocre teams (csu), lost to one giant, and one in our ballpark.

So to me, some perspective. We’ve done what we are supposed to do, for the most part (which is something far from what Rebel teams usually do).

I see a really solid team that is top 50. I don’t see top 25.

But I sure as hell am still happy about whatever it is we are seeing.

Voting and reality aren’t the same. We smothered the hell out of a bad team last time. We beat the hell out of the bad teams on the schedule, eked out wins against not quite as bad as the bottom of our schedule (Vandy) and mediocre teams (csu), lost to one giant, and one in our ballpark.

So to me, some perspective. We’ve done what we are supposed to do, for the most part (which is something far from what Rebel teams usually do).

That's where I am.

I concur solid top 50 with a chance to do more. Stepping up in competition contender or pretender? We shall see. Good stuff!!!!

Gotta remember Fresno finished last season really strong and beat WASU in a bowl game.

So they probably started in the 40's?

Started off well this season.

We started off probably 100s? Maybe 90s?

A lot more ground to make up.

Sanford year 4 Rebels were 4-1 after beating a ranked ASU (#16 I think) on the road followed by another P5 win over Iowa State. I think they maybe got a vote or two for top 25.
But how much does last season matter 8 games into this season?
Honestly I'm surprised that Fresno go back in. Beating Boise gives them some name recognition I guess.
Do I believe we are a top 25 team? Probably not. Honestly I don't believe any MW team is a true top 25 team.
But...
If those Fresnecks are in it right now .. and we were getting votes... and we were sitting at 7-1 right now, I can see us taking their spot at 25.

Reactions: 220reb
But how much does last season matter 8 games into this season?
Honestly I'm surprised that Fresno go back in. Beating Boise gives them some name recognition I guess.
Do I believe we are a top 25 team? Probably not. Honestly I don't believe any MW team is a true top 25 team.
But...
If those Fresnecks are in it right now .. and we were getting votes... and we were sitting at 7-1 right now, I can see us taking their spot at 25.

It matters because of where you started. Which previous season plays a role in.

You start season at #40, lose a game drop 10 spots or whatever. Win a couple in a row move back up.

Start in the 90s or worse like we did, it's a bigger hill to climb.

Reactions: 220reb
The thing is - if it’s right, it’s about 75 spots higher than usual, which is pretty incredible. I don’t think many teams can claim that.

Looking at rosters.

Sanchez, Arroyo and Odom.

Throw recruiting ratings of their classes out the window. There was also some overlap of players.

I don't think this Rebel team is miles above what Arroyo and Sanchez were putting on the field in terms of talent.

But they are more prepared. Offense and defense are both innovative. Special teams are a strength not an after thought.

And that's been the difference between Arroyo, Sanchez and Odom. The difference between 4-8 or 5-7 and 7-2.

My guess is Odom's recruiting rankings will improve. But he'll also land a number of under the radar guys that simply fit his system. He was praised at a couple stops for making 3 star after thought guys in all conference guys on defense.

Looking at rosters.

Sanchez, Arroyo and Odom.

Throw recruiting ratings of their classes out the window. There was also some overlap of players.

I don't think this Rebel team is miles above what Arroyo and Sanchez were putting on the field in terms of talent.

But they are more prepared. Offense and defense are both innovative. Special teams are a strength not an after thought.

And that's been the difference between Arroyo, Sanchez and Odom. The difference between 4-8 or 5-7 and 7-2.

My guess is Odom's recruiting rankings will improve. But he'll also land a number of under the radar guys that simply fit his system. He was praised at a couple stops for making 3 star after thought guys in all conference guys on defense.
That's the thing, he's taking other guys' players, guys very accustomed to losing and a poor culture - and turning around the mentality. That is coaching.

That's the thing, he's taking other guys' players, guys very accustomed to losing and a poor culture - and turning around the mentality. That is coaching.
Agree 100%

I never thought under Sanchez and later Arroyo we had Boise level talent but I thought we had enough to get to 5-7 or if things went our way 7-5.

Sanchez brought in some grizzled guys like Baer and Cotton. Considering what he had to work with at QB I thought Cotton did an admirable job. Baer was painful to watch. It was so vanilla. Death by 1000 cuts.

Arroyo's DC last year had them playing pretty damn good. Go back and look at some scores through 1st 5 weeks. Rebs were doing pretty well. And then the wheels fell off. It's like he ran out of ideas.

Odom despite being a defensive guy who tend to want to be a little more conservative realizes football has changed. Unless you have elite talent across the board it's hard to completely shut teams down with all the spread/quicker tempo offenses out there. Holding teams under 28 now is like holding teams under 21 10-15 years ago. So he went out and took a chance on a guy with a fast paced innovative offense. His defense does give up yards but they are very opportunistic, pretty disruptive and have been good at getting off the field on third down to get ball back to offense. He talks about complementary football and I think we are seeing it.

Last edited:
Agree 100%

I never thought under Sanchez and later Arroyo we had Boise level talent but I thought we had enough to get to 5-7 or if things went our way 7-5.

Sanchez brought in some grizzled guys like Baer and Cotton. Considering what he had to work with at QB I thought Cotton did an admirable job. Baer was painful to watch. It was so vanilla. Death by 1000 cuts.

Arroyo's DC last year had them playing pretty damn good. Go back and look at some scores through 1st 5 weeks. Rebs were doing pretty well. And then the wheels fell off. It's like he ran out of ideas.

Odom despite being a defensive guy who tend to want to be a little more conservative realizes football has changed. Unless you have elite talent across the board it's hard to completely shut teams down with all the spread/quicker tempo offenses out there. Holding teams under 28 now is like holding teams under 21 10-15 years ago. So he went out and took a chance on a guy with a fast paced innovative offense. His defense does give up yards but they very opportunistic, pretty disruptive and have been good at getting off the field on third down to get ball back to offense. He talks about complementary football and I think we are seeing it.
Nice take on how Odom and staff are handling things

Nice take on how Odom and staff are handling things

I think Odom has as good a defensive mind as Rocky Long. I just don't think we have all the horses yet on defense to shut things down like SDSU did a few years back.

If he ever gets that and UNLV can keep the offense performing at a similiar level..

Contending for conference titles will be the norm.

Seriously imagine if SDSU ever had any type of offense under Long.

I think Odom has as good a defensive mind as Rocky Long. I just don't think we have all the horses yet on defense to shut things down like SDSU did a few years back.

If he ever gets that and UNLV can keep the offense performing at a similiar level..

Contending for conference titles will be the norm.

Seriously imagine if SDSU ever had any type of offense under Long.
I think we’ve had more talented teams over all. But its been awhile since we have had a team click as well as this one has.

I think we’ve had more talented teams over all. But its been awhile since we have had a team click as well as this one has.

Not to get this thread completely off the rails, but I was thinking of some guys I would have liked to see in this offense and defense. Not a shot at current dudes in any way or saying these following guys would have been better.

QB Omar Clayton (people forget how good he was until injury)

RB- Chuck and Lex in the same backfield

WR Devante Davis

LB Windmon

SF Jamaal Brimmer. Odom would have been lining him up all over. Guy might have had 5+ sacks 5+ interceptions and lead team in tackles.

Not to get this thread completely off the rails, but I was thinking of some guys I would have liked to see in this offense and defense. Not a shot at current dudes in any way or saying these following guys would have been better.

QB Omar Clayton (people forget how good he was until injury)

RB- Chuck and Lex in the same backfield

WR Devante Davis

LB Windmon

SF Jamaal Brimmer. Odom would have been lining him up all over. Guy might have had 5+ sacks 5+ interceptions and lead team in tackles.
The older Lotulelei, Mike Hughes, and Ryan Wolfe. Lets go!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT